PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini to TV

gadgetgirl85
Mar 17, 2007, 01:21 AM
I believe it is possible to plug the mac mini into the TV. Just wondering how you go about it? I have many things plugged into my TV (ie DVD player, XBox, Foxtel etc) so I have component 1 and AV taken up would I still be able to do it somehow? Can you also use it as a computer and plug in a keyboard and mouse? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions

Yoursh
Mar 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
It depends on what type of connections your tv has. Simplest is if your set has a DVI connector, then it would be DVI from mini to DVI in the tv. If your tv has a HDMI connector, they do sell DVI to HDMI cables. If you have a vga connector on your tv then you would need to get a dvi to vga adapter for your mini(should have come with the mini). You can also get a DVI to s-video/composite adapter from Apple and hook it up that way. Though you won't get the best picture that way since it only outputs standard(non-HD, 480i) picture.

DVI to video link..http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7434E310&nplm=M9267G%2FA (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7434E310&nplm=M9267G%2FA)

gadgetgirl85
Mar 17, 2007, 01:45 AM
would a VGA cable work? apparantely with my 26" Samsung new TV I was told that should work?

Yoursh
Mar 17, 2007, 01:55 AM
If your Samsung tv has a vga input on it(probably labeled 'PC'), yes. You would just run a regular vga cable from the mini to the vga input of the tv. Switch the tv over to the vga connection(via input select or remote most likely, haven't worked with a Samsung in a few years). You should see the mini's desktop. Might be a little distorted if it didn't auto-detect the native resolution of the tv. If not set the mini to the tv resolution in the display preferances. Sould be something like 1366x768 if it's a HD widescreen tv.

Xeem
Mar 17, 2007, 02:01 AM
If your TV has a VGA input (and if it's an LCD TV, then it should; I believe Samsung equips all of their LCD TVs with VGA inputs), then you should get great picture quality on it. Just get yourself a VGA cable, use the DVI->VGA adapter that comes included with all Minis, and you're set.

MacBass
Apr 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
Don't forget a DVI to VGA adapter! I plan on purchasing a DVI to Video adapter for my mini when I get one. Unfortunately, I don't have a widescreen HDTV (and probably won't for quite a while), so I probably won't have to worry about the resolutions not matching up.

ftaok
Apr 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
Don't forget about the audio. Run the audio to the TV's speaker. Make sure your VGA input has auxiliary audio inputs. You'll need a mini-jack to RCA adapter ($2) to get the L/R audio cables.

ft