Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
My GF's ibook is dieing. I'm 99% sure its the hard drive. It will boot up on occasion, then freeze. The hard drive makes the same noise over and over till I shut it off. Sometimes it won't start, sometimes it won't find the startup disk. Sometimes it will work fine for 2 mins then will crash.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering what harddrive I can buy that will be compatible. I'm looking at newegg.com and I'm just not sure what will work. and ATA-6? serial ATA-150?? just don't want to buy the wrong thing.

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
Don't be so sure it's the hard drive.

If it's freezing and crashing, it could be the logic board.

Also the sound you hear might be the fan, because when the logic board crashes the fan kicks on full blast.

Anyways, I would take to the apple store and have it diagnosed before you rip it apart.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Don't be so sure it's the hard drive.

If it's freezing and crashing, it could be the logic board.

Also the sound you hear might be the fan, because when the logic board crashes the fan kicks on full blast.

Anyways, I would take to the apple store and have it diagnosed before you rip it apart.

my logic board on my old g3 crashed twice, its not that... and the fan doesn't turn on when this happens.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
I agree about owc because my friend just bought one there last week and I installed it for him today and it worked great. He got a Western Digital Scorpio for his iBook.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
How computer literate are you?

iBooks are... well... godawfulsunofaguns to take apart.:)

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
How computer literate are you?

iBooks are... well... godawfulsunofaguns to take apart.:)

yeah, i saw some sites that described the process. I've taken my g3 apart a few times when the logic board first died, so I know the general layout. replaced ram many times, things like that... never replaced the hard drive though.

I repair a lot of audio electronics as well so i feel pretty confident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.