Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think my superdrive died in my dual-core PM G5. This is what it's doing: I'll insert a DVD and it'll sit for a few seconds, then eject it. It DOES show up in my system profiler though. Is it dead, or is this a software problem? Oh- I should mention that the last thing I did was use Visual Hub to burn an AVI to a DVD. That worked fine. Afterward- nothing. I'm running OS 10.4.9. Help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay mate, first things first. Create a new user account in System Preferences and see if the problem carries over. If it doesn't then you can be sure it's a software problem and you can be sure it's something in your original account's Home folder.

While we're waiting, a quick PRAM reset may help too. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Okay mate, first things first. Create a new user account in System Preferences and see if the problem carries over. If it doesn't then you can be sure it's a software problem and you can be sure it's something in your original account's Home folder.

While we're waiting, a quick PRAM reset may help too. :)

No go on either of those. So, is that it? Is there any other way to know for sure it's dead?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, there are still a couple of things to try. Insert a CD (preferably a commercial CD with no DRM, not a blank or burnt CD). Does it recognise this? If so, it could be a laser calibration problem.

Also, try power cycling the drive by unplugging your machine overnight from the mains. Plug it back in the next morning and see how it fares. Good luck mate. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well, there are still a couple of things to try. Insert a CD (preferably a commercial CD with no DRM, not a blank or burnt CD). Does it recognise this? If so, it could be a laser calibration problem.

Also, try power cycling the drive by unplugging your machine overnight from the mains. Plug it back in the next morning and see how it fares. Good luck mate. :)

Spit out the CD too. I'll try unplugging it tonight. Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No worries buddy. Sorry, but after that I can't really think of what else to try. Hopefully cutting the power for a while will help. Fingers crossed. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mad jew- you're a genius! The power cycling worked after just a few hours. My superdrive is back up and running! Thanks man- you're the best! One thing I must ask you- do you think it would be a good idea at this point to just go ahead and buy another superdrive (they're cheap!) in case this one really does go down soon? I can't afford to be without an optical drive, but if you think this one will hold out OK, let me know.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm glad the power cycle worked. Considering it did work, that means the problem was firmware-based and has now been remedied. However, it is possible for hardware to corrupt the firmware so this may happen again although I personally consider it unlikely. Nevertheless, If you need an optical drive that much then I'd consider getting an external Firewire or USB one. That way it can act as a backup for any machine, not just your Power Mac. Also, it'll be a backup rather than a replacement. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I'm glad the power cycle worked. Considering it did work, that means the problem was firmware-based and has now been remedied. However, it is possible for hardware to corrupt the firmware so this may happen again although I personally consider it unlikely. Nevertheless, If you need an optical drive that much then I'd consider getting an external Firewire or USB one. That way it can act as a backup for any machine, not just your Power Mac. Also, it'll be a backup rather than a replacement. :)

Thanks! I''ll take that under advisement.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK, so I think my superdrive really is dead. It started doing the same thing again, so I power cycled and no go. Any other suggestions or should I just get a new one?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
It probably is dead if it failed a second time. Just out of curiosity have you tried booting from a disk?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well, It was the drive. I got a new one from OWC and I have to tell you guys- I think something was wrong with my original drive from the beginning. This one is a lot faster and quieter. The original sounded like an airplane about to die when it burned. This one sounds so much smoother-if that makes sense. Thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.