Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Heya guys ive been trying to look around the net to see if any1 had a similuar problem to what i had for call of duty 2 on the mac(got it today), i decided to start making some forum posts to see if any1 might reply so here it goes.

When i load up cod2 its perfectly fine, when i play cod2 on a windows OS i dont normally get these sort of colours - Screenshot 1: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7636/picture2bj9.png

My 2nd problem is when i am ingame i am getting these colours - Screenshot 2: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1497/picture5lv5.png

My Mac system is currently:
RAM - 512MB
Graphics - ATI Radeon 9200
Proccessor - 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4

Thank you for any response, all will be appreciated xx

aholden12592

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
this problem can be easily explained: are you playing in modded games? These games are often modified with colors. The menu can be the cause of the modded server linking with urs. i've had my menu change completely from another clan thingy.

stat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Nope, i turned downloads off when i connect to servers - im pretty sure it wouldnt be a mod ive never seen mods like that =| unless you have, but im positivitly certain it isnt a mod.

Thanks for the current replies >< atleast im getting somewhere

Mckalm

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
My Mac system is currently:
RAM - 512MB
Graphics - ATI Radeon 9200
Proccessor - 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4

Thank you for any response, all will be appreciated xx

I'm fascinated you're even able to run COD 2 on your Mac. Lowest demands is like a G5 1.8 GHz proccessor :confused:
Maybe I should try it at home then. I have a DP 1.25 GHz with Radeon 9800, 256 MB. I have bought COD 2 but for use in my - soon to be bought - Mac Pro :D

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
you wasted your money dude - your gfx card is not supported. it would be a good idea to check game developer's sites or read the label on the game before buying it to see if your mac will support it. unfortunately none of the new games released would be playable on your mac. time to update or get a ps3 etc to play games. :(

from aspyr's site:

Call of Duty® 2
Platforms: Mac
Genre: Action/Adventure
ESRB: Teen
Mac Release Date: May 2006
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 4.0 GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. Internet play requires broadband connection.
Media Required: DVD Drive

Supported Video cards:
NVIDIA GeForce 5200, 6600, 6800, 7800
ATI Radeon 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X600, X800, X850, X1600

Recommended System Requirements:
Call of Duty 2 runs best on a Power Mac G5 or Intel 2.0 GHz or faster
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz or faster
Video RAM: 128 MB

Mckalm

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm fascinated you're even able to run COD 2 on your Mac. Lowest demands is like a G5 1.8 GHz proccessor :confused:
Maybe I should try it at home then. I have a DP 1.25 GHz with Radeon 9800, 256 MB. I have bought COD 2 but for use in my - soon to be bought - Mac Pro :D

Funny, I installed COD 2 and it RUNS! on my Mac even though it's only a DP 1.25 GHz. Maybe it's because of my video card is rather descent. Resolution is only like 800x600 but I have nice frame rates.:)

Mact25

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
not to hijack your thread or anything but no point in makeing a new one.
Anyway to my problem since the os v10.4.9(before it would) it wont install the v1.3 patch anyone else have this problem?

Old Mac Geezer

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
I'm glad this thread was posted. I have been trying to figure out if CoD2 would run on a G4 even though it "requires" a G5 on the box. I guess I'll be getting that CPU upgrade for my DA now.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I read about many other people having the same issue as all. All had an ATi 9200 video card. I assume the problem is from the card not supporting the needed shaders or something like that. It is probably the same reason the 9200 does not support CoreImage

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
ive been playing COD2 on my pb lately and while i felt the russian campaign ran decently, the british portion is just too much. i have a 1.67/1gig/128vid pb and im stuck at the last british mission b/c its too difficult to play. wish i could see all the effects on a powerful machine, it played like a movie

Myers

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Hm.

I see several options.

1. Get a new computer:apple:
2. Get a new driver/video card
3. Don't fix the problem
4. Adapt
5. do some hardcore h4cking and modding. That means editing the graphics file, but that would be really, really difficult... plus, having to go in and change all of those scripts.

I'm going to try 4. IF you take away the fog/smoke/cold breath, it might be alot less laggy. Also, the biggest problem would be fixed, and your vision would be obscured. When I tried to edit it by inputting "seta r_fog 0", it told me that "r_fog is cheat protected". On a side note, I'm having trouble with running cheats in single player. If I could somehow find a way around both these problems, I'd be sitting grand. Without fog, you could increase the details, so teh only problems would include various blue and red things which are out of place. If everybody could just try this and post their results, that would be grand.

-Myers

Myers

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Hm2

I experimented with console, and I discovered that just experimenting makes a difference. There are some things that, within a certain range, don't appear red anymore. sometimes, even the boxes are normal. However, I haven't managed a fix for the blue. so: Just experiment.

Brooklynite

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
dual 2.5 G5, OS10.4.8, ATI Radeon 9650, 5GB ram. Very fast Cable internet.

Upgraded to version COD2 1.3

Just got COD2 having strange problems. It takes forever to get any servers to show up and when they do show up there are only a few populated ones.

Often times, when downloading mods or maps or whatever is autoloading, I get file error messages.

I've checked it out with my friend who has a a PC and we're not seeing the same servers for the most part. However we have found servers that we could both see and have been able to play each other. Anyone know why I don't get the same amount of servers as the PC version, or why it takes so long to find the servers?

Also, the few servers I do get tend to be from very far oof lands like Australia. I'm in New York City.

I'm a long time MOH player and I'm suprised by the lack of functionality in Mulit-player mode in COD2.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
Often times, when downloading mods or maps or whatever is autoloading, I get file error messages.

Anyone know why I don't get the same amount of servers as the PC version, or why it takes so long to find the servers?

Also, the few servers I do get tend to be from very far oof lands like Australia. I'm in New York City.

I am still quite the noob at COD2, so I am not likely to be of much help, sorry. But I get over a hundred servers to pop up near my location in northern Illinois, usually with dozens at ping rates below 100.

Any chance the filtering options on your server list are messed up on some way? I always set them to omit password servers, empty servers, and full servers, and that's about it.

There are some days when the master servers seem to be having problems and I'll have problems finding somewhere to play, but that's not a common occurrence.

As far as downloading maps/mods: COD2 is the first game for which I've ever downloaded any customized maps or mods, and I had a lot of problems when I started. When the servers are filled with players they don't seem to allocate much in the way of resources to serving up map downloads (appropriately). So I just try to find the most commonly used custom maps on the web and download them ahead of time. That's worked pretty well.

For COD2, I've used modsonline.com planetcallofduty.com and clan sites I found on Google.

Also, sometimes a server I want to play on will have its own tweaked version of a common customized map I've downloaded somewhere else, and it will have the same name (e.g., mp_bridge) as the one already in my data folder. This has caused problems, and I have to delete the existing mp_bridge to get the new mp_bridge to download fully.

That's the extent of my very limited experience. As I said, I'm a noob, so if all of this is too basic to be of use to you I apologize.

Brooklynite

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
I am still quite the noob at COD2, so I am not likely to be of much help, sorry. But I get over a hundred servers to pop up near my location in northern Illinois, usually with dozens at ping rates below 100.

Any chance the filtering options on your server list are messed up on some way? I always set them to omit password servers, empty servers, and full servers, and that's about it.

There are some days when the master servers seem to be having problems and I'll have problems finding somewhere to play, but that's not a common occurrence.

As far as downloading maps/mods: COD2 is the first game for which I've ever downloaded any customized maps or mods, and I had a lot of problems when I started. When the servers are filled with players they don't seem to allocate much in the way of resources to serving up map downloads (appropriately). So I just try to find the most commonly used custom maps on the web and download them ahead of time. That's worked pretty well.

For COD2, I've used modsonline.com planetcallofduty.com and clan sites I found on Google.

Also, sometimes a server I want to play on will have its own tweaked version of a common customized map I've downloaded somewhere else, and it will have the same name (e.g., mp_bridge) as the one already in my data folder. This has caused problems, and I have to delete the existing mp_bridge to get the new mp_bridge to download fully.

That's the extent of my very limited experience. As I said, I'm a noob, so if all of this is too basic to be of use to you I apologize.

Thanks so much for the information. Very helpful. I reinstalled and have had some luck, but i still don't get many servers at night. And the ones I get are high ping usually.
Thanks again,
Eric

Geoffrey Readin

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
cod 2 ceats dont work

when i tried cheats for cod 2, they didnt work. I tried everything thereisacow 1337, developer 1/2, but every time I try a cheat it doesn't work, and says "cheats are not enabled on this server" so I tried to change sv_cheats 0 to sv_cheats 1 in the console but is displayed "sv_cheats is read only" so i changed permission on the Cod 2 folder and clicked apply setting to subfolders and that still didn't work. Help?

p.s. Im working on a newish macbook and the games works fine on top settings, i have version 1.3

durika175

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2016
Košice, Slovakia
I know this is old thread but i normal Call Of Duty 2 doesnt work on G4.. but Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer does work.. i playing on iBook G4 1.33GHz/Radeon 9550 800x600 everything on medium and i got a 20fps average :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.