Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Title basically explains it all. I used my printer attached to my APE last night. This morning, my MacBook can't find the printer so I go into the hall where the printer is and the green light on the APE is off. I unplugged it and plugged it into another outlet, same thing. Took the extension cable off it and used the little plug, still dead.

Anyone have any ideas?? I tried to reset it using the reset button but that did nothing. I've had this thing since they first came out so the 90 day phone support and 1 year warantee are all gone :(

If only the :apple: TV could be used as a wireless print server, I'd be buying one this week...

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
I can't offer any advise I'm affraid - but the Airport Express page on the Apple store (UK) is littered with complaints of a similar nature. Sounds like it might just have a limited lifespan (that said, if you got yours when they were released, you've done better than most of those voicing their concerns on the Apple site..):(

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
No advice to offer im afraid, but your not alone! exactly the same happened to mine, just outside my warranty period and it went dead as a dodo, kaput. Situation sounds identical, nothing i could do would ressurect the poor fella.

I use the new N airport extreme now. Its great apart from the NAS throughput being very poor.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
a similar thing happened to mine a few months ago. except it was a much slower more painful process. i stream iTunes to mine all the time and for a while it would randomly drop the stream. that got annoying. then within a couple weeks it just stopped. mine was one of the first ones. but i got a new one. ive always consider electronics somewhat disposable. i prefer to upgrade to a new technology when something breaks, so hopefully the next time my airport express breaks there will be a new with with N technology or something.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'd like to get one of the new AirPort Extreme base stations but I am not ready to drop $179 on one. I don't even have anything that would benefit from having the draft-N spec, I've got the CD MacBook and all of my other wireless devices are 54-G. I guess I'm just going to hook my printer back up directly to my computer and grab an :apple: TV whenever they have them in the store. :eek:

doctorj

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hi, same thing happened to me.... I've just shifted house and was trying to get the network happening, -the Airtunes was working but I couldn't get the internet to happen. I finally reset everything and the internet started working.
After about 15 or 20 minutes I heard a little pop sound and then my signal was lost and the light wasn't glowing. I tried plugging it into another power point but to no avail.
I've had it for 18 months.
Can anyone recommend another router that does the same thing-internet and Airtunes??

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Exact thing happened to me a few months back. I had one of the first APE, it just died exactly as you described. So it does seem they have a limited life span perhaps.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Isn't it a matter of a bad component, like a capacitor? Might it be as simple as replacing it? That's my best guess. I mean, it's worth checking out if you're out of warranty.

If you got the Airport Express Base Station around the same time as your Mac, and you got AppleCare on your Mac, your Express should be covered too.

Here's a site with an Airport Express dissection.
http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Dissection-Express/index.html

consPiracy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Sorry to bump and old thread.

I've just started having problems with my APX - after what must be easily five years of service! I thought I was having wireless interference issues in my house, but after reading all of these posts I'm not so sure.

This week alone I have had to do a 'hard reset' on the APX box as it's stopped being recognised by my G4 PB. When I go to change the broadcast channel (to 1 or 11) it throws a scranny and stops transmitting, forcing a further hard reset. Thirdly, the Windows XP machine that my partner is running now has trouble getting on t'web with it - it'll connect, accept the WEP key, but says that there is 'limited or no connectivity' (I do suspect that this is a Windows issue, however).

Am I to expect a complete Airport prolapse any time soon? More than likely by what I've read... *grump*

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
My understanding is that if you have any mac under warranty still, the Airport station is also under that same warranty.

Or send it to a friend with a warranty and get it replaced!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.