PDA

View Full Version : Google Mobile Phone in the Works?

MacRumors
Mar 19, 2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

This past week, three has been some buzz (http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=21685&hed=Google+Phone+in+the+Works) about the possibility of a Google mobile phone.

Google is developing its own mobile phone, according to industry insiders and analysts, while a Google official in Spain last week acknowledged the company is “investigating” such a project.

Google isn't commenting on the device but it has been described as a "low-cost, Internet-connected phone with a color, wide-screen design."

The rumored phone is said to be (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article1536776.ece) "aimed at bringing Google to users who don't have a PC." A Google entry into the mobile phone market could cause some conflicts with Apple. Google and Apple have recently partnered to bring Google technology to users through the upcoming Apple iPhone.

TimesOnline.co.uk (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article1536776.ece) points out that such a product launch would require massive production capacities, which Google lacks, and that previous rumors of Google entering the low-cost PC market have not come true.

quigleybc
Mar 19, 2007, 10:18 AM
Sounds fun

affordable, and with a powerful search function for mobile browsing

sign me up,

only after my contract has expired for an iPhone of course...and assuming Apple didn't come out with anything better in the mean time..

:'

miketcool
Mar 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
Google music and YouTube. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up.

howard
Mar 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
sounds almost like a media tablet ala nokia 770 but with phone features.

clevin
Mar 19, 2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds fun

affordable, and with a powerful search function for mobile browsing

sign me up,

only after my contract has expired for an iPhone of course...and assuming Apple didn't come out with anything better in the mean time..

:'

I will consider if the price is <$200

thejadedmonkey
Mar 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
what if they Google Phone and the iPhone are one and the same?

steve_hill4
Mar 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
I think before anything, data rates need to come down first. Even on contract here in the UK, you could be paying £1-2 per MB on GPRS/3G. Coming out with a phone designed purely around phone and internet capabilities would tend to target the low end of the market, on Pay As You Go.

I know it's pure speculation at the moment anyway, but the way all phones are going, costs will have to start tumbling soon.

p0intblank
Mar 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
I can't really see this happening, especially with Google's partnership with Apple. I could be wrong, but then again we never did see the "low cost PC."

Not to nitpick, but the first sentence of the article has a typo in it. Just thought you'd like like to know... :o

Aniej
Mar 19, 2007, 10:44 AM

Damn it jaded monkey, you beat me to it by 50 seconds. That is the exact view that I have and corresponds with the previous reports of google CEO Eric Schmidt commenting that "we [google and apple] have many more things in line together." Apple and Google, you heard it hear first, or well second:rolleyes:

Stella
Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
I wonder if this will be a rebranding of an existing phone - if it is indeed cellular? If google want to bring 'Google' to the masses, it won't be the iPhone because thats too expensive for the majority. Perhaps maybe the iPhone sans the cellular component.

Like above, it sounds like a Nokia tablet thing. However, there isn't enough wifi base stations around to yet justify such as device - if your wandering around a city and want to make a phone call etc.

It seems difficult to image Google making hardware.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 10:59 AM
If this rumor proves to be true, Google will be at serious risk of losing their focus. They've already got a lot of projects running, many of which are far from perfected. Next they jump into a complex and highly competitive hardware market, having never made a single hardware product? Apple has been criticized by some for entering this market with the iPhone -- and they've got over 30 years of experience building hardware!

Much Ado
Mar 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
If this rumor proves to be true, Google will be at serious risk of losing their focus.

Spot on.

Competitive hardware from Google doesn't make sense. Not now at least.

MA.

je_wallace
Mar 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder if this will be a rebranding of an existing phone - if it is indeed cellular? If google want to bring 'Google' to the masses, it won't be the iPhone because thats too expensive for the majority. Perhaps maybe the iPhone sans the cellular component.

Like above, it sounds like a Nokia tablet thing. However, there isn't enough wifi base stations around to yet justify such as device - if your wandering around a city and want to make a phone call etc.

This is what I was thinking. Apple going the US cell phone route with the biggest network in cell phones ATT/Cingular & Apple utilizing Google to go the WiFi/WiMax route.

Since it seems Apple has provided ATT/Cingular some kind of an exclusive for 2 years, maybe the Google thingy is branded as such as to prevent breaking that Cingular/Apple deal.

While I can't really see Apple allowing clones or another company to license their OS/mini-OS, with Eric Schmidt on the Apple Board and Steve/Eric's public comments about working Apple/Google working on more things together - who knows.

SpaceJello
Mar 19, 2007, 11:12 AM
Could this possibly be the ever elusive Apple Tablet ...only with a very close relationship with Google and some possible new online applications? And the "phone" is voip?

Why would google with eric sitting on apple's board make a direct iphone competition? Isn't that conflict of somesort?

SpaceJello
Mar 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
Could this possibly be the ever elusive Apple Tablet ...only with a very close relationship with Google and some possible new online applications? And the "phone" is voip?

Why would google with eric sitting on apple's board make a direct iphone competition? Isn't that conflict of some sort?

EagerDragon
Mar 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
If this were to compete with the iPhone, there will be an opening in the board of directors of Apple (Google CEO current spot).

logandzwon
Mar 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think google is working on an linksys iPhone like product. Google does not have the resources to make an apple iPhone compeditor currently. Also, remeber google is building a comunications system that includes IM, e-mail, and VOIP.

mrkramer
Mar 19, 2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think that google should make hardware right now, but it could be a low end version of thee iPhone, that they are working on together and just rebranding so that it won't be exclusive to cingular.

Pedro Estarque
Mar 19, 2007, 11:23 AM
From the Times on Line:

Google 'admits to phone project'
Google is working on a basic mobile phone to bring online advertising expertise into the handheld market

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article1536776.ece

anonicon
Mar 19, 2007, 11:28 AM
Looking at this dispassionately, there *could* be a lot of overlay between the iPhone and a Google-rebranded iPhone. Facts:

1. Google has been buying a *ton* of dark-fiber (e.g., unused fiber) around the world, for what, no one besides Google knows.

2. One of the things (among *many*) that Google could do with that is to peer Wi-Fi hotpoints up to X miles from each peer point for Internet and voice data.

3. Apple would gain a major re-seller who would pay Apple for their iPhones and then install Google-specific widgets (a la OS X's desktop) and Wi-Fi access on the phones. The Apple iPhone, but tweaked for all of the Google mini-widgets and mini-applications (like Google Talk and Gmail) which Apple doesn't have.

4. Depending on what Google does with all the dark fiber they've been buying up, they could gut the cellphone industry since any near-peer-point calls could be made via VoIP (a la Skype or Vonage), while the iPhone could use traditional cellphone tower technology outside of Wi-Fi areas.

Just some ideas...

EagerDragon
Mar 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
I think google is working on an linksys iPhone like product. Google does not have the resources to make an apple iPhone compeditor currently. Also, remeber google is building a comunications system that includes IM, e-mail, and VOIP.

A VOIP phone would make sense but it would need a browser and a search, otherwise it would not be coming from Google as that is how they make money. A VOIP phone would provide a cheap way to comunicate in countries where people can't afort a computer, but ....... I do not think those countries have free HotSpots all over the place. If they do, maybe some of us should move there, cause it is not happening in the USA.

However a VOIP phone is likely to compete with the iPhone, most people want that capability in the iPhone.

johnee
Mar 19, 2007, 11:30 AM

I highly doubt that, unless google paid apple SERIOUS cash, which is possible since they do have it.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
If this were to compete with the iPhone, there will be an opening in the board of directors of Apple (Google CEO current spot).

If only. Bill Campbell was the CEO of Intuit and on Apple's board when the decision was made by Intuit to discontinue development of Quicken for the Mac. They finally relented, after a lot of pressure was brought to bear, but it's not like sharing executives on corporate boards automatically signals cooperation between the companies.

EagerDragon
Mar 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
If only. Bill Campbell was the CEO of Intuit and on Apple's board when the decision was made by Intuit to discontinue development of Quicken for the Mac. They finally relented, after a lot of pressure was brought to bear, but it's not like sharing executives on corporate boards automatically signals cooperation between the companies.

You do not want a competitor being briefed on your future products and marketing strategies. If a board member is a competitor, either the board won't be brief-ed (making them useless) or that member will become an ex-member.

johnee
Mar 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'm seriously questioning if Google is getting to be too big. I like google and use it all the time because it works, but it's becoming a monster.

Given the current climate at google is still similar to it's startup days, in 10 years, that could be quite different. If google is a seven headed beast when that occurs, they might dictate innovation for their benefit.

any thoughts?

Personally, I like the underdogs that create stuff that works, and does so not for money alone, but for the sake of creation.

ChrisA
Mar 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
"affordable" and "internet enabled phone" don't go together. At least not under the current system. Google could change that. What about an advertisement supported smart phone. The phone service would always know where the phone is so Google could sell add space and tell their customers they will only show the ads to people within X miles of your location who are doing a search for something related to your bussines. That is VERY targeted, so they could charge a lot for the ad space. If Google could sell just one ad for 25 cents per day per phone they'd do well

Sandfleaz
Mar 19, 2007, 11:54 AM
Doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. It would move them away from their core competencies.

twoodcc
Mar 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
i really don't see this happening, especially any time soon

steve_hill4
Mar 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'm seriously questioning if Google is getting to be too big. I like google and use it all the time because it works, but it's becoming a monster.

Given the current climate at google is still similar to it's startup days, in 10 years, that could be quite different. If google is a seven headed beast when that occurs, they might dictate innovation for their benefit.

any thoughts?

Personally, I like the underdogs that create stuff that works, and does so not for money alone, but for the sake of creation.

Who's to say that this device wouldn't work? Who's to say Google would be creating this purely for money? Yes, we know there are shareholders to consider with them these days, but perhaps they are trying to push forward a segment of the market they feel has stagnated, if indeed it ever really existed.

Are Apple creating the iPhone for the sake of creation or for money? Did Microsoft ditch the now stable XP and push the so far unstable Vista because it meant more money for them or a better experience long term for the user? Arguments could be had for everything released being at least partly about money, unless of course it was completely free. Google offer many great services for free and rely on ad revenue, it appears they follow a similar business model with this and make little, if anything on the device, but have lots of ads on there to raise the cash. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt until more concrete evidence is available.

Stella
Mar 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
A majority of companies would take advantage of their position if they could get away with it.. yes, even Apple ( actually, that would be frightening IMO ).

We've seen this time and time again, IBM, microsoft, AT&T, Rogers to name a few.

Underdogs do perform well, because they need to.

jordo
Mar 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, um, Apple and Google working together sounds like a slightly good idea. Just maybe. I can't believe that Google wouldn't partner with Apple to do this. They were at the last keynote, were they not? Besides, the cell phone market is huge and each company could provide something different. It is not like the two companies donít mesh well together in terms of objectives, beliefs, and competitors.

Porchland
Mar 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
This is what I was thinking. Apple going the US cell phone route with the biggest network in cell phones ATT/Cingular & Apple utilizing Google to go the WiFi/WiMax route.

Since it seems Apple has provided ATT/Cingular some kind of an exclusive for 2 years, maybe the Google thingy is branded as such as to prevent breaking that Cingular/Apple deal.

While I can't really see Apple allowing clones or another company to license their OS/mini-OS, with Eric Schmidt on the Apple Board and Steve/Eric's public comments about working Apple/Google working on more things together - who knows.

The exclusivity between Apple and AT&T/Cingular may be more than two years. I have seen news reports that the contract is for 2-5 years.

smueboy
Mar 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
Apple has a strong history of making hardware. Google however.... doesn't sound like a smart idea for them to venture into this area.

Sabenth
Mar 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
so this is a sort of skype phone but for google ive got google on my mobile as it is and works prity well

joepunk
Mar 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
Google isn't commenting on the device but has been described as a "low-cost, Internet-connected phone with a color, wide-screen design."

The rumored phone is said to be (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article1536776.ece) "aimed at bringing Google to users who don't have a PC."

Hmmm...

I'm haveing a hard time trying to picture a lowcost phone by Google for the masses who don't have a computer just so they could use Google.

jakebot
Mar 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
I found the following list of other companies who are also making a phone:

yahoo
myspace
avid
lipton
bazooka
adobe

hell, why not EVERYONE make a phone. hehe seems to be the trend

mdriftmeyer
Mar 19, 2007, 01:27 PM
Looking at this dispassionately, there *could* be a lot of overlay between the iPhone and a Google-rebranded iPhone. Facts:

1. Google has been buying a *ton* of dark-fiber (e.g., unused fiber) around the world, for what, no one besides Google knows.

2. One of the things (among *many*) that Google could do with that is to peer Wi-Fi hotpoints up to X miles from each peer point for Internet and voice data.

3. Apple would gain a major re-seller who would pay Apple for their iPhones and then install Google-specific widgets (a la OS X's desktop) and Wi-Fi access on the phones. The Apple iPhone, but tweaked for all of the Google mini-widgets and mini-applications (like Google Talk and Gmail) which Apple doesn't have.

4. Depending on what Google does with all the dark fiber they've been buying up, they could gut the cellphone industry since any near-peer-point calls could be made via VoIP (a la Skype or Vonage), while the iPhone could use traditional cellphone tower technology outside of Wi-Fi areas.

Just some ideas...

That's the most well thought post so far. Use Google as your Telco and Apple as your Phone Supplier. The services combined offer more than any phone provider, if they get the infrastructure in place and lit.

inkswamp
Mar 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
Just a few random thoughts and WAGs (wild *ss guesses). I invite everyone to nitpick these because this seems sort of obvious to me but I have yet to see anyone openly speculating along these lines.

Some points to consider:

* Apple is entering the home electronics (phone and TV) markets, both with products that seem very powerful but seem to have some odd restrictions that might hint at more to come.

* Apple has settled with Cingular as their provider despite a vague sense of uneasiness between the two companies. Apple made big demands on Cingular that Verizon refused to go along with.

* Google has been buying up dark fiber lines with no apparent explanation.

* Google has openly looked into the IPTV market and online video.

* Google has openly looked into providing internet access.

* Google appears to have some interest in phones despite having no ability to produce the hardware themselves.

* Apple has been shopping around for more corporate space in various locations.

* Google and Apple have cross paths in some curious ways lately, both admitting that they are working on projects together.

Who thinks there's a chance that Apple and Google are laying the groundwork to (at some point in the future) cut out all the middle men involved in phone, video and internet service for mobile devices? It would be a brilliant business maneuver and would alleviate a lot of what people dislike about the iPhone: that it is tied to Cingular (or any traditional phone or net service provider.)

I could see this being an enormous success. People are fed up with phone service as it now exists (I know I am!) People are fed up with exorbitant fees and lousy service. Both Apple and Google seem to have the same philosophy when it comes to customers, and it's about 180-degrees opposite what you get from Cingular and Verizon and other phone service providers.

So, what kind of holes can you all poke in this theory? :eek: :D

(Edit... anonicon, I seriously did not see your post before posting this! Glad to see other are actually thinking along these lines.)

peharri
Mar 19, 2007, 01:53 PM
"affordable" and "internet enabled phone" don't go together. At least not under the current system. Google could change that. What about an advertisement supported smart phone. The phone service would always know where the phone is so Google could sell add space and tell their customers they will only show the ads to people within X miles of your location who are doing a search for something related to your bussines. That is VERY targeted, so they could charge a lot for the ad space. If Google could sell just one ad for 25 cents per day per phone they'd do well

I don't think it even needs to be ad subsidized to be affordable. Bear in mind that people have a tendency to quote the highest rates for access when making arguments against mobile data, but in practice data rates are low and getting lower. The US's T-Mobile has all-you-can-eat TCP/IP as a $7 bolt-on to their regular plans, and standalone data for $30, for example. My recollection is that Sprint have something similar. Verizon and Cingular do not, but Verizon and Cingular are not the only two mobile phone carriers in the world.

I think there's no reason why a low cost (<$200 without subsidy) Internet enabled EDGE cellphone similar to a stripped down 770/N800 couldn't be created. Nokia and Motorola both make budget GSM phones for less than $50, and a low-end PDA costs $100. Extrapolate from that, and you've got quite a lot of room for a company like Google to work, even if they restrict themselves to using off-the-shelf hardware.

And unlike Apple and the iPhone, this will help Google's business, not undermine anything they're currently doing. All it does is promote access to Google.

I wish them luck...

corywoolf
Mar 19, 2007, 02:34 PM

http://www.google.com/enterprise/images/gsa_2u_rtside.jpg

You mean like this hardware? How about a cheaper version of the iPhone with the multi-touch technology but a 1 GB memory chip instead of the 4 GB & 8 GB?

MacGuffin
Mar 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
I welcome Google entering the cell marketplace.

The Apple phone is a luxury item. If Google can do it more cheaply -- and really, anybody can and everybody should -- then that's great.

In a short while, the market will be flooded with non-boutique, commodity touchscreen phones. Much more than a speculative Google entrant is going to race Apple for this market segment.

wdogmedia
Mar 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "Dark Fiber" (yes, I do know what it means) is the creepiest tech-related term ever?

je_wallace
Mar 19, 2007, 03:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "Dark Fiber" (yes, I do know what it means) is the creepiest tech-related term ever?

yeah, sounds like x-men/matrix/stephen king-ish stuff...something Bill Gates et al should be investing in and building out. however, "virgin fiber" or "raw fiber" don't really sound that pure and clean either.

Stella
Mar 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.google.com/enterprise/images/gsa_2u_rtside.jpg

You mean like this hardware? How about a cheaper version of the iPhone with the multi-touch technology but a 1 GB memory chip instead of the 4 GB & 8 GB?

yes, exactly like that!! :-D

I'd be surprised if many people anywhere knew that Google have made hardware. Thanks for the pic.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'd be surprised if many people anywhere knew that Google have made hardware. Thanks for the pic.

Does anyone plan on cluing the rest of us in on what this box does?

It may look like a Barbie accessory, but I'm guessing that it isn't.

qtip919
Mar 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
yes, exactly like that!! :-D

First off all, Google does not manufacture this...

Secondly, everyone around here needs to get a clue.

This is a research project. Google is going to use the LEARNING from this project to drive other projects. This may involve lightweight java applications used to help them continue to drive their search and advertising business.

Reading some of these posts, it seems like people would seriously believe Google is about to launch a phone product. This will...um, how do I make this clear, NEVER HAPPEN

Google has many projects in their research dept that do not specifically have anything to do with what they want to focus their business around. However, if they want to pre-innovate in the mobility space, they need to work in their own sandbox, not in Microsofts ;)

makkystyle
Mar 19, 2007, 05:10 PM

Secondly, everyone around here needs to get a clue.

This is a research project. Google is going to use the LEARNING from this project to drive other projects. This may involve lightweight java applications used to help them continue to drive their search and advertising business.

Reading some of these posts, it seems like people would seriously believe Google is about to launch a phone product. This will...um, how do I make this clear, NEVER HAPPEN

Google has many projects in their research dept that do not specifically have anything to do with what they want to focus their business around. However, if they want to pre-innovate in the mobility space, they need to work in their own sandbox, not in Microsofts ;)

I wouldn't say "never happen", but you are right about everything else... but to be honest, you guys are several days late on this one... http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/03/15/google-exec-confirms-phone-in-the-labs/

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 05:14 PM

What ever "this" is....

that dude
Mar 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
i am an apple fanboy, but the google phone actually looks pretty cool. if you want to see it, go to scifi.com and go to the tech blog or do a search on the main page.

GregA
Mar 19, 2007, 05:20 PM

Or a related product. Apple may be exclusive with cingular for cellular phones, but that doesn't mean it can't offer other non-cellular phones.

If google want to bring 'Google' to the masses, it won't be the iPhone because thats too expensive for the majority. Perhaps maybe the iPhone sans the cellular component.Exactly. However, the cellular component of the iPhone is the REALLY CHEAP part.

Like above, it sounds like a Nokia tablet thing. However, there isn't enough wifi base stations around to yet justify such as device - if your wandering around a city and want to make a phone call etc.Google has been launching citywide wifi access in several cities. Marketing their phone to ONLY those cities would be quite doable, especially if the phone switches to your own home & work wifi when you are there.

That said.. who knows what Google plans. I do think they will want a phone that has integrated google maps & web browsing.

Stella
Mar 19, 2007, 05:35 PM

Maybe the person who posted the graphic does...

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe the person who posted the graphic does...

And he's not saying.

Maybe he's trying to do us a favor. He could reveal the box's function, but then he'd have to kill us.

Cult Follower
Mar 19, 2007, 06:01 PM
I've said it before and ill say it again, I don't think google will make a phone, their business is software.

lazyrighteye
Mar 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
Just a few random thoughts and WAGs (wild *ss guesses). I invite everyone to nitpick these because this seems sort of obvious to me but I have yet to see anyone openly speculating along these lines.

Some points to consider:

* Apple is entering the home electronics (phone and TV) markets, both with products that seem very powerful but seem to have some odd restrictions that might hint at more to come.

* Apple has settled with Cingular as their provider despite a vague sense of uneasiness between the two companies. Apple made big demands on Cingular that Verizon refused to go along with.

* Google has been buying up dark fiber lines with no apparent explanation.

* Google has openly looked into the IPTV market and online video.

* Google has openly looked into providing internet access.

* Google appears to have some interest in phones despite having no ability to produce the hardware themselves.

* Apple has been shopping around for more corporate space in various locations.

* Google and Apple have cross paths in some curious ways lately, both admitting that they are working on projects together.

Who thinks there's a chance that Apple and Google are laying the groundwork to (at some point in the future) cut out all the middle men involved in phone, video and internet service for mobile devices? It would be a brilliant business maneuver and would alleviate a lot of what people dislike about the iPhone: that it is tied to Cingular (or any traditional phone or net service provider.)

I could see this being an enormous success. People are fed up with phone service as it now exists (I know I am!) People are fed up with exorbitant fees and lousy service. Both Apple and Google seem to have the same philosophy when it comes to customers, and it's about 180-degrees opposite what you get from Cingular and Verizon and other phone service providers.

So, what kind of holes can you all poke in this theory? :eek: :D

No hole poking here, inkswamp. Have shared similar thoughts in posts past. I'd simply like to add to what you wrote.

Today's 'news' makes me think Google is simply testing the waters... paving the way for the inevitable MVNO version of the iPhone (~ 2010?) in exchange for some world renowned industrial design courtesy of Ive & friends.
Win-win. Google will have a stylish (read: desirable), yet low-end (read: really desirable) phone in the relatively new (to mainstream) MVNO & VOIP world (read: really, really desirable) while Apple gains a better understanding of navigating the "we don't need no stinkin' service provider" route - something you KNOW Steve has had his eye on the whole time (cough - data center - cough). Signing with Cingular was just a safe, "toe in the water" move - get in the game with the largest US carrier (read: guarantee a large customer base), learn, absorb and by the time your contract expires, wave Cingular goodbye as you take those 2 years of real world experience to competely redefine the entire mobile communication experice... which I think we can ALL agree is an experience in dire, dire need of redefinition.
We will see this unfold in 3 years. Mark it, dude.

Side note: something Apple has in their favor, that no one else can touch, is OS X. As long as they keep that locked, they can pretty much control their destiny. Who else can offer the tight integration between your computer and your phone and your TV and your toaster and your...? No one. And integration is the KEY factor to success in the ever-converging home electronics/computer world. It's like all of the pieces are beginning to (and have been) fall into place. When we all bitched and moaned through the OS 9 > OS X transition, these thoughts were already on the table in Cupertino. It took that transition to get them on the path towards today and into tomorrow.

Partner this vision with that of Google's. Now consider Google's new(ish) slew of online word processing and spread sheet apps, search, gmail, chat, etc. and you can begin to see where both Apple & Google might successfully leverage each others strengths to ride this new wave of tech into a dominant position in the very near future. It's already in play. Might just be a while before mainstream realizes what's happening. By then, it'll be too late. MU HA HA!!!

Sorry, got carried away.

Regardless, I like it.

macsforme
Mar 19, 2007, 06:11 PM

http://www.google.com/enterprise/gsa/index.html
http://www.google.com/enterprise/#utm_medium=et&utm_source=bizsols&utm_campaign=enterprise

anonicon
Mar 19, 2007, 06:17 PM

It's the Google Search Appliance. See both models here:

http://www.google.com/enterprise/enterprise_search.html

Been around for a few years...

Back on topic, given the expertise Apple and Google bring to their respective fields, there are *many* different ways they could work together to combine a wireless phone and wireless broadband access, including on-phone advertising, video and data transmission enhancements, bundled Google apps on the iPhone, and a lot more. It just depends on how Google skins the fish since Apple's iPhone works as a smartphone that's only missing Wi-Fi-related features.

IJ Reilly
Mar 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Must you kill me now? :)

"Cost-effective," starting at $30,000. Yikes.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/gsa/index.html

Stella
Mar 19, 2007, 06:29 PM
This is why Apple will never get too popular. ( an open environment - i.e., PC + windows + other OSes v Mac hardware and OSX ).

Also, this is why Apple should never be in microsoft's position for marketshare. They'd be worse than microsoft, keeping all their platforms relatively closed ( read: iPod, iPhone, iTV etc ), which is the reverse of microsoft, typically, minus the Zune example of course.

Closed environments isn't necessarily a good thing - a lot of opportunities are missed. Ease of use is one benefit of, but there's a lot of negatives.

Side note: something Apple has in their favor, that no one else can touch, is OS X. As long as they keep that locked, they can pretty much control their destiny. Who else can offer the tight integration between your computer and your phone and your TV and your toaster and your...? No one. And integration is the KEY factor to success in the ever-converging home electronics/computer world. It's like all of the pieces are beginning to (and have been) fall into place. When we all bitched and moaned through the OS 9 > OS X transition, these thoughts were already on the table in Cupertino. It took that transition to get them on the path towards today and into tomorrow.

SeaFox
Mar 19, 2007, 07:09 PM

Then it will be called the GooiPhone and people will use it to search for video clips of pron just like people use Google on the web, only in .3GP format. :D

asphalt-proof
Mar 19, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hmmm...

I'm haveing a hard time trying to picture a lowcost phone by Google for the masses who don't have a computer just so they could use Google.

Maybe not for just a handy search engine but maybe for news, Maps, or GMail, or the Doc's and spreadsheet, Froogle, Google's instant message Talk, Local, Earth... Google has quite a bit going for it. If they could bundle it all in a mobile package (some of the apps are mobile but not all) and put it on a mobile device like the Nokia 800 than I think they could have a winner. Plus, with 2.+ gigs of online space, it would not have to have a large flash chip in it. Could save costs. But handhelds are a tricky business. Maybe Apple lent a designer or two to google.

joemama
Mar 19, 2007, 07:24 PM
"affordable" and "internet enabled phone" don't go together. At least not under the current system. Google could change that. What about an advertisement supported smart phone.

This is exactly what I have been thinking. Hear me out on this-

With the birth of DVRs, advertisers are slowly losing ground. I just read somewhere that within 10 years traditional 30 second commercials as we know them will not exist.

So what's next?

What if Google created a national wifi network that worked solely with their phone? All calls are made via VOIP and the phone is also a web browser. Right now the iPhone uses a traditional cell carrier (ATT), but I'm willing to bet the only reason Job's did this was because he HAD to. The technology is not there yet.

Think long-term. A decade from now. Traditional LAN lines and cell phone networks are non-existent. People receive constant data/information/phone calls via wifi. And what if there was no cost? (or a very minimal one)

Google supplies the network, as well as the phone, and the only caveat is streamed via commercials that appear ever now and then, or a banner ad? Want to watch a video (or TV show), download it from the network. Oh wait, Google owns YouTube.

Google wi-fi network, Apple phone, YouTube video/future TV, iTunes store/database/business model, Apple Data Center. Apple/Google merger in the future? I know it's far-fetched - but so was M$'s thought of beating Netscape's dominance....

Wonder Boy
Mar 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
I am a mac guy, but I got a hand me down Dell Axim pocket pc and it's great. It saves me from carrying my ibook around and has all the functions that i need when I'm out. if there was a phone integrated for $200, i'd buy one. it would be nice to have a mobile version of OS X, but not for $300 more.

SpaceJello
Mar 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
All this talk may have an amazing future, no need to worry about MS word documents when Google network takes over with online document editing.
Apple won't have to worry about the threat of no MS word for mac OS, because that would become obsolete (fingers cross).

NOW, the question is, i doubt AT&T, T-mobile etc aren't looking into similar networks, I am sure they are well aware that phone companies are on the way out... similarly, I doubt MS is sitting on there asses, with Windoz Mobile etc... now the question is are the competitors doing anything similiar and forming some aliances.

mikeinternet
Mar 19, 2007, 08:54 PM
All this talk may have an amazing future, no need to worry about MS word documents when Google network takes over with online document editing.
Apple won't have to worry about the threat of no MS word for mac OS, because that would become obsolete (fingers cross).

i love google docs. great for school. i can see this happening.

MacAodh
Mar 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
kind of sounds like google's almost thinking of making there own version of the 100 dollar laptop... how many people these days don't have internet access? and to be honest i think it'll be a while before we can realistically have Google maps in our pockets along with youtube, etc. I know the iphone will have it but to be honest with you i think that's more of a gimic more then anything. but that's just my opinion. Kind of like wap, this amazing tech advance, could book tickets through your phone, check cinema times, chat "online" or check the score of the latest game. problem is that nobody does (generally anyway.)

Now, put that into a third world situation, it could work... I was over in Kenya recently and it amazed me to see how many people have mobile phones. But they use them, not only to stay in contact, but to do business. Now a farmer can bargain with the middle man knowing how much he would get in the local town, the middle man could save time in bringing his truck out to a village if he knew that there was nothing there for him. If you could stick gmail, google talk and a few other apps onto the phone you could have a much better 100 dollar phone instead of the laptop... only my thoughts though (and i know, it would cost alot more to make a web enabled phone then 100 dollars, just kind of brain storming here!!)

mdriftmeyer
Mar 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
This is why Apple will never get too popular. ( an open environment - i.e., PC + windows + other OSes v Mac hardware and OSX ).

Also, this is why Apple should never be in microsoft's position for marketshare. They'd be worse than microsoft, keeping all their platforms relatively closed ( read: iPod, iPhone, iTV etc ), which is the reverse of microsoft, typically, minus the Zune example of course.

Closed environments isn't necessarily a good thing - a lot of opportunities are missed. Ease of use is one benefit of, but there's a lot of negatives.

The term Open Environment and Windows is an oxymoron.

iMikeT
Mar 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
Nothing but a rumor. Although, it would not surprise me if Apple along with Google announced a version of the iPhone with Google functionality sometime in the future.

Stella
Mar 20, 2007, 09:22 AM
The term Open Environment and Windows is an oxymoron.

Oh, really?

In what way is Windows a closed environment?

Developers are free to write 3rd party applications, free to create all kinds of hardware ( including the PC ) to work with the OS and microsoft actively encourage this - just like Apple does for OSX ( minus the platform to run OSX on, of course!)

microsoft have been secretive about certain API calls, yes - but then I suspect that Apple don't reveal all of their API calls either. The spotlight is on microsoft rather than Apple in this case because microsoft have far more marketshare ( in the same way the spotlight is on iPod ).

An example of a closed environment is iPhone.

peharri
Mar 20, 2007, 10:53 AM

NOW, the question is, i doubt AT&T, T-mobile etc aren't looking into similar networks, I am sure they are well aware that phone companies are on the way out... similarly, I doubt MS is sitting on there asses, with Windoz Mobile etc... now the question is are the competitors doing anything similiar and forming some aliances.

Cingular and T-Mobile are moving to a standard called UMTS (also known informally as "3GSM" because it's a 3G version of GSM.) UMTS is itself migrating to a so-called all-IP platform, where the entire thing is presented as a connection to the Internet, and phone, messaging, etc, services run over the top of that. UMTS is not yet there, but a process called Long Term Evolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution) is in the works to get UMTS to that level.

On a different note, Sprint-Nextel is experimenting with a WiMAX network, and it's quite possible to see them phasing out, or at least deprecating, their CDMA2000 network in the long term once the kinks have been knocked out of WiMAX, which is still a new technology.

Verizon's future is unclear, I'm guessing they'll probably go with WiMAX too, though Qualcomm's trying to push something called UMB which retains the restrictiveness of CDMA2000 but provides more capacity. If everyone else goes for WiMAX and/or LTE UMTS, I don't see it as having a future.

So, yes, they're not sitting on their hands. Don't expect to see anything immediately, but within the next three years they will migrate to systems based primarily on the Internet, and it's quite possible your primary mode of Internet access will be via one of today's mobile phone carriers, not via a wire.

Predictions that Google can just roll out a nationwide Wi-fi network are overblown FWIW. Wi-fi doesn't have the range. People would hate replacing their phones with Wi-fi phones. There's nothing stopping Google from bidding on spectrum and rolling out WiMAX or a variant of UMTS though, and I suspect that's what they'll do in the long term.

GregA
Mar 20, 2007, 04:25 PM
a standard called UMTS (also known informally as "3GSM" because it's a 3G version of GSM.)

Actually that's one of the formal names for it now, happened about a year ago. The term was not used informally afaik.

People knew the term GSM so well, that the GSM people decided to capitalise on it and refer to their 3rd gen as "3GSM".