Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
My manager has asked me to find out if there are any systems / products like Flickr that can be deployed on a server on our intranet and used to host project-related content. Specifically we'd post PowerPoint presentations, probably exported as PNG image files, such that each slide / image is a member of a group, like a Flickr album of photos. We want to tag each slide with the technical skills or business areas they apply to, and then be able to view all slides or slideshows that match any given tag.

It doesn't necessarily have to strongly resemble Flickr--that is just the best analogy I can come up with. There are probably some other tagging-oriented content storage systems that would nicely fit the bill. Quick 'n' easy navigation is important, though.

Flickr is also an apt analogy because so much of our work is rolled up into PowerPoint files, and they export easily to image files. I'm open to posting them as web pages or in their original PPT form, but I'd rather have a streamlined site that doesn't either require downloading and opening a file to see the real content or require using IE for Windows to view the content (because of the nasty "MHT" files that "save as web page" produces).

When I talk about internal deployment, I'm thinking of something like JotSpot which can be downloaded, installed, and configured for internal, enterprise use. Free and/or open source are desirable.

Have I sufficiently confused everyone yet? :confused: ;)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
You might want to check out ZenPhoto. It is simple to setup, easy to use, comes with some nice themes (some of which remind me of Flickr because of the use of AJAX), overall, I like it a lot. It's a very straight forward, no nonsense gallery.

ZenPhoto also boasts a Flickr-like, AJAX powered, edit while you browse feature.

http://www.zenphoto.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.