PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 & External Display Benq 19 inch

matiaspolanco
Mar 19, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hi:

I have an ibook, g4, 512Mb RAM, MAxOS 10.3.9, ATIRadeon8500, 32MB (video memory i think).
I just got an external display, a Benq FP92W 19 inch wide.
As you know, the display preferences only show a max of 1024 x 768 of resolution. Well, thanks to a app call DisplayConfigX i put finally my ibook at 1440 x 900 (the recommend for this ext display).
The problem is that when i look at pictures with any app, ex slideshow pictures, the computer run so so slow... i tried to change the Hz in the Display Preferences, but the same. The second i put back the 1024 x 768, the computer runs faster, normal. Any solution to this problem? i really want to put my screen at 1440 x 900, looks great on this benq display!

thanks

matias polanco

matias@vivamancora.com

mad jew
Mar 21, 2007, 01:12 AM
Not sure that there is a solution, mate. Sorry, but the small graphics card in the iBook was always going to struggle a bit with full screen slide shows on a 1440 x 900 resolution, especially if it's still running the main display too.

Nevertheless, I guess you could try the Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) instead to see if it's more efficient with your GPU. If the iBook is well ventilated then close the lid for extra graphical power. Just remember that the iBook dissipates heat from its keyboard so open it up if it starts getting hot. :)

Fearless Leader
Mar 21, 2007, 01:16 AM
yah that ibook just doesn't have enough umph to get the job done at that res.
Remember its working about 60% harder to pump out for all those extra pixels. Because they're 60% more pixels.