PDA

View Full Version : My music

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 02:18 AM
I made some recordings with my high school Jazz Band and Wind Ensemble. They are up on my website under 'Music.' Check it out!

P-Worm

shadowfax
Jun 8, 2003, 02:57 AM
i tried the middle one, polka dots and moonbeams. it's pleasant. how many people are in the ensemble? your sax sounds a bit odd to me. it's well-played, i think. it's just either a different kind of sax than i am used to or the recording is not right. i dunno enough to critique that stuff though. i am not conversant enough in musical terms to tell you what sounds wrong about it either though.

at any rate, good stuff. it's good to playh an instrument.

in your profile, you should delete it all and say
[ url=http://home.earthlink.net/~pworm420/]visit my new site![ /url]

without the spaces, like a link in a post. that way people can just click on it.

mrjamin
Jun 8, 2003, 07:26 AM
This is cool stuff - listening to "Chicken" at the moment.

Nice one mate!

maradong
Jun 8, 2003, 08:38 AM
really nice.
thx for sharing.

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i tried the middle one, polka dots and moonbeams. it's pleasant. how many people are in the ensemble? your sax sounds a bit odd to me. it's well-played, i think. it's just either a different kind of sax than i am used to or the recording is not right. i dunno enough to critique that stuff though. i am not conversant enough in musical terms to tell you what sounds wrong about it either though.

at any rate, good stuff. it's good to playh an instrument.

in your profile, you should delete it all and say
[ url=http://home.earthlink.net/~pworm420/]visit my new site![ /url]

without the spaces, like a link in a post. that way people can just click on it.

Thanks for the heads up on the sig.

Our Jazz Band has about what the standard has, a guitar, bass, piano, drumset, axillary percussion, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones (one is actually a cello), 2 alto saxes, 2 tenor saxes, and 1 berry sax.

I don't always sound like that (like I said, the recordings were everything but ideal). Also, I'm experimenting with vibrato and it isn't giving the results that I want right now. But thanks for listening anyways. I really like Polka Dots and Moonbeams, it is one of my favorites. The changes lead themselves when I improvise because they are built around chromatic (half-steps) tones.

P-Worm

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
This is cool stuff - listening to "Chicken" at the moment.

Nice one mate!

We've been playing that song for a longtime, but it didn't turn out that good. We didn't play the best when we recorded unfortunately. The other sax that I battle with in that song is a Tenor Sax player by the name of Cameron Sheya. I love playing with that kid because we can match and contrast eachother's styles very easily to make the switching recognizable, yet interesting.

P-Worm

pEZ
Jun 8, 2003, 01:56 PM
Purgatorio has always been a favorite of mine - Robert W. Smith's Divine Comedy is essential to wind band in my opinion, especially for high school. It's not my favorite of the four movements, I think Inferno is better, but being a clarinet player, Purgatorio is a must for the spooky undertones that the aimless moaning builds from. You guys sounded really good - excellent singing too!

MrMacMan
Jun 8, 2003, 02:07 PM
I hope the RIAA doesn't come after you for sharing 3 small band made songs. :rolleyes:

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I hope the RIAA doesn't come after you for sharing 3 small band made songs. :rolleyes:

Do you think they can? I thought that if you played your own version that it was yours to what you want with. Of course, I know nothing about copywrite laws.

P-Worm

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
Purgatorio has always been a favorite of mine - Robert W. Smith's Divine Comedy is essential to wind band in my opinion, especially for high school. It's not my favorite of the four movements, I think Inferno is better, but being a clarinet player, Purgatorio is a must for the spooky undertones that the aimless moaning builds from. You guys sounded really good - excellent singing too!

I used to play clarinet and would have loved to play it on Purgatorio, but the soprano sax part was too much to pass up. :cool:

I think that my favorite movement is Paradiso. It isn't fast or exciting, but the way the chords move send shivers down my spine.

Robert W. Smith is deffinately my favorite composer as far as classicla type music goes. He knows his crap.

P-Worm

pEZ
Jun 8, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
I used to play clarinet and would have loved to play it on Purgatorio, but the soprano sax part was too much to pass up. :cool:

I would never have passed up an opportunity to play that soprano sax part...it's just....smooth. I can't really describe the feeling - but you know what I mean I'm sure.

I really like Paradiso too, as well as The Ascension (the horn parts, wow. I can see them turning blue now), but Inferno is just my favorite I guess because of the "chains" part in the middle - it's so descriptive of the scene R.W. Smith is trying to explain - awesome.

P-Worm
Jun 8, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by pEZ
I would never have passed up an opportunity to play that soprano sax part...it's just....smooth. I can't really describe the feeling - but you know what I mean I'm sure.

I really like Paradiso too, as well as The Ascension (the horn parts, wow. I can see them turning blue now), but Inferno is just my favorite I guess because of the "chains" part in the middle - it's so descriptive of the scene R.W. Smith is trying to explain - awesome.

We went to a festival and they played the whole "Divine Comedy." It was all arranged for strings (Kinda weird). Inferno and Purgatorio crakced me up when they did it. In Inferno they had chains that were way too big. It was drownding out they entire group and all you could hear is "crash...wrap...crash," nothing else.

What was funny about Purgatorio was the way they sang. They're "Gloria's" were all in tune and pretty sounding when the rest of the song is menacing. Weird.

Not that they weren't a good group, they were awesome, just didn't interperet things quite right.

P-Worm

pEZ
Jun 8, 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
What was funny about Purgatorio was the way they sang. They're "Gloria's" were all in tune and pretty sounding when the rest of the song is menacing. Weird.

Not that they weren't a good group, they were awesome, just didn't interperet things quite right.

I definitely agree that the "Glorias" should be gruesome and raspy - if it's pretty, wouldn't the souls in question already be in heaven?