Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I

itsme92

Original poster
Hi, I'm looking to buy a wireless mouse for my Macbook. So far I've looked at the Logitech MX610 and the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • A full size mouse (I have big hands and this mouse won't leave my desk so I don't want a notebook mouse)
  • Wireless (bluetooth preferred)
  • Good Mac Compatibility (The Logitech says "windows only", but will USB Overdrive work for mapping the buttons?)

I will be using this mouse for many years so I want to make sure I get something I'll like. Btw I'm not wild about the Mighty Mouse design but I don't hate it either. The Mighty Mouse is $70, and after the rebate on Newegg, the Logitech is $30 shipped.

Does anybody have any experence with these mice, and does anybody have a reccomended mouse that they think is worth checking out?

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
I really like my bluetooth mighty mouse. While it's not as ergonomic as some of the Logitech mice (I love the feel of the MX Revolution and the old MX700), it's not uncomfortable. I like it mainly for the looks though, since it goes nicely with my MBP. In fact, I even bought a bluetooth keyboard to go with it. If you're concerned about aesthetics, nothing beets the Apple hardware. If comfort is your main concern, I'd look elsewhere.

Cult Follower

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
North Dakota
I also have the bluetooth mighty mouse and I simply love it, I've had no problems and I've had it for three months and with the batteries apple supplies the battery is still full.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
I heard the Logitech V270 is nice, its $37(s/h included) on Newegg.

Most people report 2 months of battery life, as well as the convinience(sp?) of having bluetooth

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have the BT MM, and I have mixed feelings. I loved it when I first got it, but since then I've come to find that sometimes the right click doesn't work right. I don't know if it's that I'm not taking my index finger entirely off the mouse or that it just registers wrongly sometimes, but it's very frustrating, and totally unacceptable if you play games. After dying a few times in warcraft 3 because I left clicked when I meant to right click, I went back to using my old MS BT intellimouse for games.

On the other hand, the BT MM is great in every other way. It's always on (no low power mode that it takes a few seconds to wake up from), has incredible battery life (I'm still on 5 out of 5 bars after a month of use) that can be monitored in system preferences, looks great, fits very well in my hand, and has a really impressive and easy-to-use scroll ball.

Ultimately, I guess I can't recommend it to anyone who plays games, but I'd recommend it to anyone else.

The MS bluetooth mouse is not bad, but it does have that low power mode that it takes a while to wake from, and its battery life is nowhere near as good as the MM.

I also tried a Radtech BT 600, but the battery life was simply unacceptable on that one. I was recharging it every few days, and although it does recharge with a usb cable (which is a nice touch), if it's plugged in that often, you might as well get a wired mouse. Also, it was a white rubber that picked up dirt and oils like nobody's business and was impossible to clean.

So of the 3 bluetooth mice I've owned, none is perfect. The MM is closest, but the right click thing is kinda a big problem. The logitech VX revolution looks fantastic and gets great reviews, but it's RF, so you need an adapter, and thus lose a USB port.

I

itsme92

Original poster
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, because it is fully Mac compatible and it has Bluetooth, so that means I have one less adapter hanging off the side of my computer.

joooollie

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
blagh

Go with the mighty mouse. I dont even find it uncomfortable, and infact more comfortable than the average mouse. I love the 360 degree scroll ball, the side and middle buttons. Another mouse i have enjoyed playing with is the logitech revolution.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have the BT MM, and I have mixed feelings. I loved it when I first got it, but since then I've come to find that sometimes the right click doesn't work right. I don't know if it's that I'm not taking my index finger entirely off the mouse or that it just registers wrongly sometimes, but it's very frustrating, and totally unacceptable if you play games.

I had the same issue with my first BT MM and I got it replaced. The new one works 100% perfectly, so it sounds to me like you get a defect, rather than the MM itself being a crappy product.

To the OP: If you get the Mighty Mouse, you will get so accustomed to the side buttons and the middle click that you will never go back! On my PC I am constantly squeezing the mouse, and then remembering "its not a mighty mouse" mine is great, and I would recomend it to anyone in the market for such a thing.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Get the BT mighty mouse...

because I've had like 5 iMacs in the past few months, I've tried a wide range of mighty mice lol. Some of them work better than others. THe main problem I've found is that you can sort of depress hte mouse button without actually clicking, and it makes an annoying sound, and kind of feels cheaply built. I think maybe 3 or 4 of the mice ive received had that problem...whatever, not a deal breaker.

Tracking is perfect, the scroll ball is great. I dont eat ANYTHING within the viscinity of my computer, just drink, so I suppose you can only break the scroll ball if your hands are filthy. I usually wash my hands quite frequently so I dont have to worry about it. The right click works every time,...you jsut cant have your left finger n the left button while doing it (makes sense since its touch sensitive). I do that anyways(on any mouse) so it's not a problem. I tseems unnatural for me to have both fingers on the mouse while left clicking. You may be different though.

The side buttons are not too hard to press...on one of the mouses I got they were kind ahard to press, but on all the other ones, they were very easy to press. They are veyr handy, too. The mighty mouse is nice because it doesn't steal a USB port, and it matches the mac very well. It feels pretty good in the hand too. not as good as some logitech mice do, but its still ok. I would say get the mighty mouse, but find it for a cheaper price. It's kinda pricey straight from apple. It's not junk though, as some people put it. I like it because it never disconnects, and theres no annoying software to deal with . I actually bought the Logitech MX REV then gave it back because its so annoying to alwyas have to tweak your software to your liking. I also found the wheel thing more of a nuisance than something useful. I returned it and got the mighty mouse.

Sorry for the long post...hope it was helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.