Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thundercutter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I have a 10 hour video that I want to compress into a minute, speeding up the playback, like they do with nature films (you know when they show flowers opening etc..)

What would I need to do this or what is the proccess called?

I hope its clear what I am trying to do... please take into consideration that I don't have Final cut xpress or pro..

Cheers

thundercutter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
found out that the term I was looking for was Time Elapse Video... anyone know how to make a 10 hour video into one??

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
10 hours into a minute?! Woah! Even uploading all that onto a computer with the equipment you have would be tedious.

Well, as tedious as this sounds, given what you have you could use good 'o maths!

If you're on NTSC, you're wanting about 1800 frames.
If you're on PAL, you're wanting about 1500 frames.

So, what you're wanting is about one frame from your original footage every 20 seconds (NTSC) or 24 seconds (PAL). Snipping a frame at a time, pasting it all together and you'll have the same result a timelapse camera would give you. If it were me, I'd set aside a month to do it to avoid going insane.

I'm no expert on these issues but seeing as no-one else has offered a suggestion, I thought I'd at least try. For your sake, I hope there's an easier way of doing it.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
You might want to shoot on digital cameras, instead of video. Arrange the frames into any apps that can playback in realtime, like Quicktime Player, After Effects, etc.

I bought these digital intervalometers a while back and they still work on my Nikon digital.

www.harbortronics.com/detail.php?id=17

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
In Final Cut express you can slow a video down.
From 10 hours to 1 minute, I'm not sure.

I've used that feature for copying 8mm film to video.

Britanium

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
This may work for you, although you will lose most of the frames...

You can do it in QuickTime Pro.

Export: Movie to Image Sequence
Format: QuickTime Image
Frames per second: you'll have to figure this one out - perhaps .05

Then: Open Image Sequence, and save as a .mov or whatever file type you would like

good luck :)

thundercutter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks alot, that does the trick perfect.. Good job I didn't need sound.. But this is great.

Thanks again

This may work for you, although you will lose most of the frames...

You can do it in QuickTime Pro.

Export: Movie to Image Sequence
Format: QuickTime Image
Frames per second: you'll have to figure this one out - perhaps .05

Then: Open Image Sequence, and save as a .mov or whatever file type you would like

good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.