PDA

View Full Version : Next Apple iMacs with "Striking New Industrial Design"?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

urbanskywalker
Apr 30, 2007, 01:14 PM
Does the fact that the special printer offer runs from April 15th-June 30th tell us anything? I mean can we expect Apple to uodate the machines when an offer like this is running, don't the new machines usually come out right after the offers end?

Eidorian
Apr 30, 2007, 01:17 PM
Does the fact that the special printer offer runs from April 15th-June 30th tell us anything? I mean can we expect Apple to uodate the machines when an offer like this is running, don't the new machines usually come out right after the offers end?Another printer offer should be available a few days after this one ends. It will just be for newer printer models. We have encountered it before.

urbanskywalker
Apr 30, 2007, 01:22 PM
That's what I am hoping for. I have the money ready to buy a new imac, but I hate to buy and get burned with a big update soon after.

ryannel2003
Apr 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
When I bought my eMac back in October 2004, they were offering the same thing. The rebate ended sometime in March and they introduced new eMac's in May of 2005. So the rebates do sometimes precede the introduction of upgraded Mac's, but sometimes they don't. Depends on the timing.

koimedia
May 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
As some people are predicting, the new iMac may be similar in design to the iPhone; as the current iMac is similar to the iPod. Here is a quick illustration of how I see that design. The frame is aluminum like the iPhone's, with the black plastic strip to house the power button.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/977/imacbs4.jpg

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/2761/indexhero20070109hw2.jpg

urbanskywalker
May 3, 2007, 12:16 AM
Not bad. I just wish Apple would get the lead out:) Personally, I think we might see a speed bump and then the big update in the fall.

LoganT
May 3, 2007, 03:27 AM
Not bad. I just wish Apple would get the lead out:) Personally, I think we might see a speed bump and then the big update in the fall.

Dear God, I hope not.

reflex
May 3, 2007, 03:43 AM
It looks fine on the PS3 and the iPhone :cool:

No it doesn't :p

jimN
May 3, 2007, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE=koimedia;3606256]As some people are predicting, the new iMac may be similar in design to the iPhone; as the current iMac is similar to the iPod. Here is a quick illustration of how I see that design. The frame is aluminum like the iPhone's, with the black plastic strip to house the power button.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/977/imacbs4.jpg

I like it, very different from the current imac colour scheme but not that far on in terms of design. Sure that they could lose the chin now that they are using mobile components - no problems with them keeping it if they can get more power into the machine.

RRK
May 3, 2007, 06:55 AM
The frame is aluminum like the iPhone's, with the black plastic strip to house the power button.

I can see some aluminum coming to the iMac in this way, but I would put the black strip at the top so that it could hold the iSight. A power button is not needed on the front.

fisha
May 3, 2007, 07:15 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/428415015_b5de62f9f1_o.jpg

Sorry - but I think that looks utterly crap . . . too much chrome, i positively hate speakers on either side of a display that make the unit much larger than it needs to me.

The design by koimedia is much much much more like it.

Koi, i think your corners are too rounded though. Could you make a version where the corners are a little sharper?

koimedia
May 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
Updated with sharper corners, minus power button, and included iSight up top.
Fixed the off-centered dock as urbanskywalker pointed out a couple of posts down.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3271/imaczk7.jpg

RRK
May 3, 2007, 01:23 PM

I'd buy one. :)

But then again, I am itching for whatever the next update is. :D

vendettabass
May 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
I just want user-replaceable hard-drives :)

but yeah, I'd love an iMac like koimedia's

urbanskywalker
May 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
It has potential for a mockup. Your dock is of center though, and it makes the design looked skewed.

is the consensus June Developers conferene, or can we expect a special event announced? I am guessing it it's a new design Apple won't go with a silent update.

Dimwhit
May 3, 2007, 03:46 PM
is the consensus June Developers conferene, or can we expect a special event announced? I am guessing it it's a new design Apple won't go with a silent update.

I don't know about the consesus, but I think the Developer's Conference. New iMac, pushing the 24" at an alternative for developers. It is supposed to be a prosumer machine, right?

Given that Leopard is delayed, and I don't see the iPhone fitting in well with WWDC, I think new iMacs then are feasible. What else is there, besides updated Mac Pros and MBPs that they could announce?

mjstew33
May 3, 2007, 04:38 PM
You can already put any Intel-powered iMac, iMac G5 or Apple Cinema Display on a wall-mounted swivel arm.

Not true.

Only the 24" can do that of the Intel iMacs, and Rev. A & B of the iMac G5s. Rev. C you can't.

freddiecable
May 3, 2007, 11:41 PM
excuse my whine: it is far to silent...and I'm getting really bored by apple not releasing anything!? almost all lines should be updated - no? :(

iMacZealot
May 3, 2007, 11:48 PM
excuse my whine: it is far to silent...and I'm getting really bored by apple not releasing anything!? almost all lines should be updated - no? :(

YES!

>Mac Mini untouched since 1.05
>iMac virtually unchanged since 8.04
>PowerMac/Mac Pro untouched since 6.03
>MacBook Pro/PowerBook virtually unchanged since 7.03 (TiBook doesn't really count)
>iBook/MacBook virtually unchanged since 5.01 !!

Something's coming up.

poppe
May 4, 2007, 03:05 AM
YES!

>MacBook Pro/PowerBook virtually unchanged since 7.03 (TiBook doesn't really count)

Something's coming up.

Just refreshed products. Revlutionary designs are not coming. Not until there is something that merrits such a change.

Plantman
May 4, 2007, 03:32 AM
There have been so few new products from Apple recently I really feel sorry for the authors of and Mac orientated magazines- there has been literally nothing to report since September last year.
They must be scraping around for something to write about but there is not much out there.

Evangelion
May 4, 2007, 03:35 AM
YES!

Something's coming up.

Well, the thing is that are any of them in need of a change as far as design is concerned? I have a 1.25Ghz Mac Mini, and every single day I look at it and marvel at just how utterly cool it looks. Should the change things for the sake of changing them? The designs do not look dated as it is, so they do not have an urgent need to move to something entirely new.

If anything, the current lineup give the products a sense of continuity. Yes, the design has been updated every once in a while (like iBook >> MacBook), but they have a clear lineage. And that is a good thing, IMO.

dcv
May 4, 2007, 03:59 AM
I heard rumours of a wedge-shaped iMac.

:D

DefaultName
May 4, 2007, 04:55 AM
20" and 24" models are the way to go. Can't wait!

mpw
May 4, 2007, 05:04 AM
I heard rumours of a wedge-shaped iMac....
Pics?

bartelby
May 4, 2007, 05:05 AM
Pics?

I think there's one or two around somewhere...

LoganT
May 4, 2007, 06:44 AM
Pics?

I thing she's talking about the really really great, fantastic design made by Godbless.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72427&d=1176645577

ROFL.

iMacZealot
May 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
Just refreshed products. Revlutionary designs are not coming. Not until there is something that merrits such a change.

Perhaps one of the biggest technological changes in modern Mac history was the Intel change, but all the designs were kept roughly the same, weren't they?

Well, the thing is that are any of them in need of a change as far as design is concerned? I have a 1.25Ghz Mac Mini, and every single day I look at it and marvel at just how utterly cool it looks. Should the change things for the sake of changing them? The designs do not look dated as it is, so they do not have an urgent need to move to something entirely new.

If anything, the current lineup give the products a sense of continuity. Yes, the design has been updated every once in a while (like iBook >> MacBook), but they have a clear lineage. And that is a good thing, IMO.

I would say that all of their Macs still look great, but it's like the translucency designs were stovetop grills began to use the same design. Ives is a very smart and creative guy who's never had a dull design, so this makes me think that he might have some even better stuff coming through the pipeline. Will they keep the same minimalist polycarbonate white (and black) plastic and aluminum? Who knows.

poppe
May 4, 2007, 09:31 PM
Perhaps one of the biggest technological changes in modern Mac history was the Intel change, but all the designs were kept roughly the same, weren't they?

Yes and I agree and we all thought that it was going to come out with some major design changes.

However we realized that the main focus was to deliver refreshments and the processors and see if they could actually do that well (MBP anyone?).

I don't think until 2008 will we see some major design changes. It's the year of gizmo's and gadgets merging your life together, but keeping the computers the same (well thats my guess for apple anyways).

iMacZealot
May 4, 2007, 11:43 PM
Yes and I agree and we all thought that it was going to come out with some major design changes.

However we realized that the main focus was to deliver refreshments and the processors and see if they could actually do that well (MBP anyone?).

I don't think until 2008 will we see some major design changes. It's the year of gizmo's and gadgets merging your life together, but keeping the computers the same (well thats my guess for apple anyways).

Yeah, I'm not expecting major design changes soon, either. If they do start to introduce new designs, I have a feeling that they'll use something similar to their polycarbonate white plastic and metal, for it's a good design for computers.

I'd like to see them bring back some old designs--- or at least reincarnations of them. The TiBook and iLamp are two I'd like to see come back.

freddiecable
May 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
2 things:

1. How come the high-end iMac is 2.16 Ghz and the high-end MBP is 2.33!?

2. If there is no new iMacs before or on WWDC I'm gonna cry soon :(

Eidorian
May 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
2 things:

2. If there is no new iMacs before or on WWDC I'm gonna cry soon :(1. Both are using the same processors. There's little difference among the same line other then clock speed and cache.

Peace
May 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
2 things:

2. If there is no new iMacs before or on WWDC I'm gonna cry soon :(

The "high-end" iMac isn't 2.16 it's 2.33..I have one.

Chris Bangle
May 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
There shoudl definatly be new imacs by the end of WWDC. If not i think apples consumer desktop market will be in serious trouble.

Vidd
May 21, 2007, 03:11 PM
There shoudl definatly be new imacs by the end of WWDC. If not i think apples consumer desktop market will be in serious trouble.

It wouldn't be - people would still buy them.
Relatively few people beyond ourselves know and care, sadly.

LoganT
May 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
People say Apple wouldn't release a new iMac at WWDCc because WWDC is for developers. But how is a Mac Pro for developers?

Vidd
May 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
People say Apple wouldn't release a new iMac at WWDCc because WWDC is for developers. But how is a Mac Pro for developers?

Several things such as the much faster CPU and expansion abilities suit it better for developers.
The iMac could be a developer machine and many probably are used that way but Apple chooses not to promote it as such.
Remember, some of its components are laptop parts.

RRK
May 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
Several things such as the much faster CPU and expansion abilities suit it better for developers.
The iMac could be a developer machine and many probably are used that way but Apple chooses not to promote it as such.
Remember, some of its components are laptop parts.

I think what he was trying to point out is that the target markets of "pro"fessionals and software/peripheral "developers" aren't necessarily the same thing.

BenRoethig
May 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
It wouldn't be - people would still buy them.
Relatively few people beyond ourselves know and care, sadly.

Sad but true. Honestly, if Apple was still using single core G5s, the Mac faithful would buy them.

stuff99
Jun 5, 2007, 03:53 PM
I thing she's talking about the really really great, fantastic design made by Godbless.

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72427&d=1176645577

ROFL.

that looks gross

baddaddy
Jun 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
New iMacs are coming at WWDC, Jobs said so last week. Here is a quote from D that is posted on engadget.

12:23pm - Funny question: this is your gradual exit out of the computer business with the name change?

No. If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it.

http://ev.engadget.com/2007/05/30/steve-jobs-live-from-d-2007/

And no rumours page even mentioned this blurb!

psychofreak
Jun 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
New iMacs are coming at WWDC, Jobs said so last week. Here is a quote from D that is posted on engadget.

12:23pm - Funny question: this is your gradual exit out of the computer business with the name change?

No. If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it.

Yes, it spurted tons of threads round here...he didn't 'say so' at all, just implied the possibility (maybe he was talking about the Mac Pros, Minis, upcoming towers or anything)...

baddaddy
Jun 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, it spurted tons of threads round here...he didn't 'say so' at all, just implied the possibility (maybe he was talking about the Mac Pros, Minis, upcoming towers or anything)...

Nah...come on. The Mac Pro just updated, and the mini isn't going to recieve any "massive investment".

iMac's are Apple's major desktop line. Given all the rumours floating around, and given the fact that he mentioned it in conjunction with WWDC, I see new iMac's....or maybe just plain Mac's in trhe future.

BenRoethig
Jun 5, 2007, 06:31 PM

iMac doesn't automatically equal desktop. In fact, a lot of people recognize the all in one as the 5th seperate type of computer.

brianus
Jun 5, 2007, 07:56 PM

I haven't seen the video, but considering the question and the use of ' -- ' between the clauses, I read that as "We're releasing a new version of our desktop OS, therefore obviously we're still a desktop computer and not just a gadget company," rather than a specific hint of new hardware at WWDC. Of course, I think there will be new iMacs at WWDC (it just makes sense for a host of reasons), but I think you're reading too much into this quote.

brianus
Jun 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
Fixed the off-centered dock as urbanskywalker pointed out a couple of posts down.

As attractive (and logical) the iPhone-inspired designs are, look at it for a second -- doesn't it look like it could be any generic PC monitor if you just get rid of the little Apple logo? The nice thing about the current iMac design, chin and all -- even because of the chin -- is that it's iconic and unique. You will not see some HP in Best Buy that looks like an iMac with a different logo on it. It's unmistakable. How on earth are they going to replace that?

urbanskywalker
Jun 5, 2007, 08:20 PM
Maybe they will do something radical like EOL the all in one form and go to a seperate monitor with one cord and a new stylish tower...nahh

cleanup
Jun 6, 2007, 08:25 AM
Has anyone seen that Sony Vaio all-in-one computer? The one that has the fold down keyboard with the trackpad and the handle on the back. I saw one the other day and fiddled with it for a bit. It runs Vista really fast and when you close the keyboard it turns into a sort of stereo-like media center. It's really neat. I think if Apple did something like that they could make it really neat. Maybe make the keyboard Bluetooth and make it detachable. The handle on the Sony actually makes it kind of easy to carry. It's about as thin as the current iMacs (at their thinniest point), and has a fold-down stand, not the not-easy-to-remove one that the iMacs have. If you fold it up you can tuck it into a large laptop bag. Hell, you could even use it as a large laptop, it's pretty much like a desktop-resplacement.

cleanup
Jun 6, 2007, 08:26 AM
On a side note, I'm still clunking along on a 2-year-old iMac G5 1.8 ghz!!! It really struggles at some things like loading really flash/image-intensive websites (although I htink this might be Safari's fault, since it seems like even the slowest Winblows PCs with IE can run such websites with lightning speed), but it gets the job done!!

Can't wait to upgrade to a MacBook though :)

aLoC
Jun 6, 2007, 08:33 AM
I have the 24" iMac and there is a reasonable amount of empty space in there (I opened it up to install a bigger hd).

It should be possible to make the next generation noticeably thinner.

cleanup
Jun 6, 2007, 08:35 AM
I have the 24" iMac and there is a reasonable amount of empty space in there (I opened it up to install a bigger hd).

It should be possible to make the next generation noticeably thinner.

Isn't the empty space there to allow a reasonable amount of airflow? I dunno about the 24" but my 17" gets pretty hot.

jskauppi
Jun 12, 2007, 05:04 AM
So, the rumored new iMacs weren't announced in the SteveNote. Anyone care to speculate when they would be announced?
- Later this week? It's Tuesday...
- E3 Summit, July 11-13 - a new machine to play those new games on...
- Apple Expo Paris, September 25th-29th
- When Leopard ships, October

GanleyBurger
Jun 12, 2007, 04:52 PM

WWDC with no new product release???

Now Tuesday of WWDC with no new product release???

This is downright disappointing.

:mad:

pavelbure
Jun 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
So, the rumored new iMacs weren't announced in the SteveNote. Anyone care to speculate when they would be announced?
- Later this week? It's Tuesday...
- E3 Summit, July 11-13 - a new machine to play those new games on...
- Apple Expo Paris, September 25th-29th
- When Leopard ships, October

i expected something at wwdc and didnt get anything. i will make a prediction now and say they will get a minor speed bump around august or september and then at the next macworld all the new stuff will be revealed.

Mundy
Jun 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
i expected something at wwdc and didnt get anything. i will make a prediction now and say they will get a minor speed bump around august or september and then at the next macworld all the new stuff will be revealed.

Why do people expect consumer hardware at WWDC? Apple almost never releases new hardware (consumer or otherwise) at WWDC...

pavelbure
Jun 17, 2007, 08:13 PM
Why do people expect consumer hardware at WWDC? Apple almost never releases new hardware (consumer or otherwise) at WWDC...

they have before. that's enough reason for hoping.

Sped
Jun 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
Anyone care to speculate when they would be announced?

I'd bet on Macworld Paris. It's possible they could be announced sooner at some sort of special event, but unless Apple is also ready to announce new iPods or something, I'm skeptical. It's hard to imagine Apple holding an event outside of Macworld just to announce one piece of hardware. Although, if new iPods are ready in July, I can see Steve talking about iTMS, new iPods, and then one more thing would be new iMacs.

Otherwise, I'd bet we have to wait until September.

Sped
Jun 17, 2007, 11:44 PM

I don't think anyone expected new iMacs since most rumors pointed to either a delay or them just not being planned to be released.

I think it's pretty snobbish to rant about WWDC being a Pro event. What does that mean? How does all the consumer software get developed? Is there an event for consumer software developers where MBPs and Mac Pros are verboten? No.

rainydays
Jun 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
It's hard to imagine Apple holding an event outside of Macworld just to announce one piece of hardware. Although, if new iPods are ready in July, I can see Steve talking about iTMS, new iPods, and then one more thing would be new iMacs.

New iMac + Mac Mini/replacement + iLife 08 perhaps?

ktbubster
Jun 23, 2007, 02:29 AM
I have to know.

What rendering program was that done on and then perfected with? Anyone? Anyone? That's some darn good stuff.

LeviG
Jun 23, 2007, 05:31 AM
I have to know.

What rendering program was that done on and then perfected with? Anyone? Anyone? That's some darn good stuff.

um which one if its godbless or koimedia.

godbless was solidworks a pc only program
koimedia was most likely photoshop/illustrator

@dakore
Jun 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
Just a quick note, i got some sneek pics from my mates

vincebio
Jun 23, 2007, 09:50 AM

Hilarious...

i assume you didnt see the 2006 copyright mark on the bottom left before posting that photoshop?:rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
Looks good, big improvement over fat chin current iMac.

technicolor
Jun 23, 2007, 11:55 AM

That looks horrible, and the stand looks horribly out of place.

aswitcher
Jun 23, 2007, 05:51 PM

I dont think it looks too bad but yes the stand doesn't work. If it had a version of the early LCD iMac stand giving it more articulation in shinny steel and/or if it allows swivel to portrait mode, I think it might work.

rainydays
Jun 24, 2007, 11:00 AM

Hehe, that mockup is very badly done. You'd have to do a better job to fool people here.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to find these materials/colors on the new iMac since it goes well along with Leopard. Perhaps slightly brighter though.

Silencio
Jun 24, 2007, 02:30 PM

I agree. Waaaaaay too busy and ill-proportioned all the way around.

I personally do not see Apple incorporating iPhone design cues into their desktop designs. The more aluminum-y 2006 mockups posted above are probably more on target, though I would expect the corner radii to be much tighter.

With a Bauhaus avatar, you've obviously got a clue about good design. ;)

djstarrock
Jun 24, 2007, 02:37 PM
I kinda like the design right now but they could get rid of the chin.

Schtumple
Jun 24, 2007, 04:59 PM
I kinda like the design right now but they could get rid of the chin.

Same, and lower it slightly, the isight camera is well above my head on my desk.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 27, 2007, 08:52 PM
Same, and lower it slightly, the isight camera is well above my head on my desk.

I cannot praise the Mac Pro mock-up with the 30" display enough -- I would spring for that, I'm hoping the new Imac will mirror that design.

As for your camera -- For what it's worth, I've got a couple Imacs, and my 24" has the camera pointing off into space - but the other ones are fine - I've opened 2 20" Imacs and both cameras were point (adjustable) - it would be nice if there was an easier way apart from opening the case.

koimedia
Jun 28, 2007, 01:14 AM

A quick mockup that took ten minutes in photoshop.
Just trying to contribute to the discussion.
The intensity of your comment is actually humorous considering it's only a ten minute render.

The stand does look out of place (it's a cut out of a current imac stand),
but again the goal was to throw out a quick idea-not to develop a full out mockup ;)

TheBobcat
Jun 28, 2007, 01:25 AM
Actually, my friend who works at Apple sent me insider pics of what the new iMac will look like. Of course, it will continue to be an all-in-one but will feature a removable hard drive that mounts to the top. They are going for the retro-crowd as well I beleive...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Apple_Lisa.jpg

Liamf555
Jun 28, 2007, 01:39 AM

LOL i would buy that:D

Lesser Evets
Jun 30, 2007, 11:24 PM

This actually gave woodies to the tech crowd in 1982.... can you believe it?

flopticalcube
Jun 30, 2007, 11:30 PM
This actually gave woodies to the tech crowd in 1982.... can you believe it?

Ahhhhhh MAN! Dual 51/4" floppies! WOW! :eek:

Your children will be saying the same thing about iMacs in 25 years.