PDA

View Full Version : Next Apple iMacs with "Striking New Industrial Design"?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Mar 19, 2007, 11:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2582) that the next version of Apple's iMac will showcase "striking new industrial designs aimed at leaving both competitors and onlookers smitten."

The new designs are said to be sleeker and slimmer than the current iMac designs, however, the new looks may only be deployed on the 20" and 24" models, leaving the 17" model's future uncertain.

The rumor site has no solid timeframe for the release of the new iMacs, but our Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac) suggests the iMac is overdue for an update, with the last update being delivered in September 2006 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/06/apple-releases-core-2-duo-imac-adds-24-inch-imac/).

This would represent the 4th major iMac design revision since its introduction. (Original (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:Imac-1998.gif), iMac G4 (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:Imacg4.jpg), Current (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:05imac_front.jpg))

Zwhaler
Mar 19, 2007, 11:24 PM
Sweet! But I am happy with mine. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

DMann
Mar 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Slimmer, sleeker, less chin, more screen surface, Quad processor...:rolleyes:

justflie
Mar 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
Works for me, I'm planning on getting a MBP this summer anyways. I don't mind them concentrating on the larger screen versions. The 20, 24" make the 17" look downright diminutive and kind of crappy (relatively) when they sit next to each other in the Apple stores.

MacSamurai
Mar 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
ooh sounds nice,but will there be new mac pros :( *sniff* at this rate im never gonna get one

szark
Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
I think it would be a mistake to drop the 17", unless they drop the price on the 20". But maybe the 20" and 24" are selling better than I imagine?

Zwhaler
Mar 19, 2007, 11:30 PM
I think it would be a mistake to drop the 17", unless they drop the price on the 20". But maybe the 20" and 24" are selling better than I imagine?

They're not dropping the 17", they are just (if the rumor is true) not going to use the new case design on the 17".

bigraz
Mar 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
How about a touch screen imac, that can detach and be used to sit on the couch to browse the internet, etc. You can take it to the desk when you need to do more serious work.

I would be smitten with that!

siurpeeman
They're not dropping the 17", they are just (if the rumor is true) not going to use the new case design on the 17".

i can see apple dropping the 17" like they did the 15" long ago. 20" and 24" imac prices might drop enough to warrant the discontinuation of the 17" model. hopefully, the new designs will really make people wonder, "where did the computer go?"

waynergy
Does that mean if I want a 17" iMac, I shouldn't be waiting anymore?

Zwhaler
Mar 19, 2007, 11:38 PM
Does that mean if I want a 17" iMac, I shouldn't be waiting anymore?

If you are waiting for a new case, then yes, buy now.

GodBless
Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 PM
How about a touch screen imac, that can detach and be used to sit on the couch to browse the internet, etc. You can take it to the desk when you need to do more serious work.I think it's a great idea and perhaps Jeff Han (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/12/more-multitouch-from-jeff-han/) and Apple have some kind of deal going on for an actual computer that is all touch screen. Maybe it has the option of being a picture frame with USB ports on the bottom for the keyboard mouse and other peripherals (or the all wireless peripherals is an idea too).

I am excited to see what Jonathan Ive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Ive) and the rest of Apple's hardware team has come up with.

Perhaps new and enhanced touch screen technologies are part of the Top Secret Leopard features.

Rocketman
Mar 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
The iMac is Steve's "baby". Expect it to be "insanely great" (literally) in visual appeal, features, hardware and software.

C2Q
Santa Rosa
10.5 (.0)
Media Center features
iPhone integration features :)
Distributed computing. :eek:

Rocketman

Zwhaler
Mar 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
Tomorrow is Tuesday?

Nothing will happen until Santa Rosa, which is May 9th, I believe. Even then, Apple will probably wait for a few months until they adopt the new technology.

How about a touch screen imac, that can detach and be used to sit on the couch to browse the internet, etc. You can take it to the desk when you need to do more serious work.

Great idea, but I can't see it happening until at least next year or so. I would buy that in a second.

szark
Mar 19, 2007, 11:45 PM

Well, the article states that they would neglect it, and possibly drop it entirely.

I suppose it's inevitable, though. Perhaps they'll add something larger? :eek: :D

Daveway
Mar 19, 2007, 11:46 PM
Bring it on, I'm ready to get rid of this loud fan humming iMac G5 here!:mad:

GodBless
Mar 19, 2007, 11:49 PM
Great idea, but I can't see it happening until at least next year or so. I would buy that in a second.That's what I was thinking but then I realized that Apple must be up to something since Tiger offered a lot more than Leopard (trust me the OS X design team is up to something) so I wouldn't be surprised if the touch screen system is coming very, very soon.

Reaction 1: :eek:
Reaction 2: :D
Reaction 3: :)

inkswamp
Mar 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
Great timing! In the next two months, I will be in the market for a new iMac (the old G4 iMac will find a new home in my daughter's room :) ) In all honesty, I'm not that crazy about the current design. I really think the "chin" is aesthetically awkward. I could live with it, but any redesign that gets rid of it is okay in my book. Also, I'm thinking of the 20" model, but it seems a tad pricey for what it is. Apple definitely needs to bump the prices down or shift all the models down into the next lower price point to keep up with the always-falling costs of things.

Also, I'm hoping that the rumors of a black iMac are true. I'd love to have a black iMac, especially if it uses the glossy black finish that Apple uses (not the fugly, fugly matte black that most other computer makers use.)

kskill
Mar 19, 2007, 11:53 PM
i'm delighted with my 20" intel imac.. i still find myself looking at it and being completely impressed with it's design [and functions!].
...with that said, to say I'm super excited to see what Apple can do to sleek it up even more would be an understatement. touch screen would be rad.

sam10685
Mar 19, 2007, 11:55 PM
how do you improve thie design we have now?

Zwhaler
Mar 19, 2007, 11:56 PM
Also, I'm hoping that the rumors of a black iMac are true. I'd love to have a black iMac, especially if it uses the glossy black finish that Apple uses (not the fugly, fugly matte black that most other computer makers use.)

You mean like the matte black used on the Black MacBook? ;)

freiheit
Mar 19, 2007, 11:58 PM
The iMac is Steve's "baby". Expect it to be "insanely great" (literally) in visual appeal, features, hardware and software.

C2Q
Santa Rosa
10.5 (.0)
Media Center features

Rocketman

Unfortunately Santa Rosa is Intel's new mobile platform, not a Core 2 Quad platform (unless Intel start making quad core notebook processors, which I suppose is ultimately inevitable but probably not this year). I'd PREFER to see a real desktop platform put into the iMac with FSB1066 or the new FSB1333, DDR2-800 (or higher), etc. Santa Rosa is, essentially, just bringing last year's desktop platform into the mobile space while desktop platforms are starting to move ahead.

Mind you, I am personally holding out for the new iMacs for my next purchase and will buy one regardless of mobile or desktop platform components. Either way it'll be better than my single core 2GHz PC or my dual 2GHz G5 tower.

kildraik
Mar 20, 2007, 12:05 AM
I think it would be nice to offer new iMacs with batteries. New idea? They could be portable enough, and the do run on mobile platforms. :]

bdkennedy1
Mar 20, 2007, 12:10 AM
You could say that about any product that Apple releases.

MrMacbookMan
Mar 20, 2007, 12:11 AM
I am very content with my macbook for now, however within the next 6 months or so I may be in the market for a desktop, aka an imac or mac pro, and would love to see a something radically new and awesome.

iBunny
Mar 20, 2007, 12:12 AM
I am waiting to buy my Mac for this next release of the iMac. The iMac is the most outstanding line of Macs in my opinion. Hopefully they go all out.

I didnt know they could do like touchscreen stuff yet, but that would be totally sweet. I am just hoping for something better in the Hardware department. I would like it to run accual desktop computer parts, instead of laptop stuff.

Finally, I hope it comes out sooner - rather than later. I need to buy now!

twoodcc
Mar 20, 2007, 12:13 AM
the quad processor would be nice :cool:

i don't think i'd get one, but i still hope this is true. Go Apple! :apple:

Kingsly
Mar 20, 2007, 12:16 AM
Perfect timing. I was just gearing up to buy myself a 24" gift!

Touchscreen would be great, as well as... well, I am sure my feeble mind cant compete with Steve's RDF.

synth3tik
Mar 20, 2007, 12:22 AM
This would be great. I like the current iMacs but I think it kind of looks like a blotted LCD.

mikefd369
Mar 20, 2007, 12:24 AM
If they phase out the 17", maybe they will introduce a new high-end based on the 30" cinema display. The iMac Pro.

Kingsly
Mar 20, 2007, 12:28 AM
If they phase out the 17", maybe they will introduce a new high-end based on the 30" cinema display. The iMac Pro.

*Drool*

The ultimate home based FCP editing machine!

Erasmus
Mar 20, 2007, 12:32 AM

*Shakes Fist*

iMac Ultra!

Yep, 30" high def LCD, quad core 2.93Ghz, with a Radeon X2900XTX to drive the screen!
Four RAM slots, and a 500GB HDD.

Yum Yum! And I want it this June!

Weighs 20 kg, is just 12" thick, and includes an optional coffee machine located next to the CPU and GPU's heat sinks. So if you ever stop drinking coffee, the computer will melt. Which of course has the secondary effect of making us super-addicted to caffeine, making leaving the computer, even just for an hour or two, lethal.

praterkeith
Mar 20, 2007, 12:34 AM
Maybe they could keep the 17" around with integrated graphics for the education market. Or rename them back to eMac?
I hope they aren't glossy. I want a slim, aluminum, iMac!

Rod Rod
Mar 20, 2007, 12:36 AM
The current 17" iMac could remain and be analogous to the eMac.

The eMac was more or less an evolutionary design from the original G3 iMac. The G4 iMac moved ahead with its LCD, while the eMac had a CRT with iMac G4-like insides.

Dropping the current 17" iMac would be a mistake. Lots of folks here couldn't care less about it, but there are a whole bunch of people who'd prefer an all-in-one budget Mac instead of a Mac mini.

edit: praterkeith beat me to it. :)

Mac Fly (film)
Mar 20, 2007, 12:37 AM
:eek:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/231249512_9eccfef387_o.jpg

esaleris
Mar 20, 2007, 12:42 AM
I'm hoping they go back to that funky dome + screen concept. That was one of the most beautiful machines I had ever seen. Too bad I got into Macs after it got phased out...

iBunny
Mar 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
I'm hoping they go back to that funky dome + screen concept. That was one of the most beautiful machines I had ever seen. Too bad I got into Macs after it got phased out...

I completly agree. It was very nice looking. Plus, I would like my screen on a swing arm

alansky
Mar 20, 2007, 12:49 AM
Not everybody wants a big screen. Not everybody has the space for a big screen. Not everybody can afford a big screen.

Personally, I think it would be a shame to discontinue the 17-inch iMac, whatever it looks like.

Xeem
Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'm just hoping that they leave SOME personality in the next revision of the iMac; the current line, while definitely beautiful machines, just don't feel as personal to me as the G4 iMacs did.

alansky
Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 AM
You can already put any Intel-powered iMac, iMac G5 or Apple Cinema Display on a wall-mounted swivel arm.

corywoolf
Mar 20, 2007, 12:53 AM
I think it will be at least another month before they release the new iMacs. They will probably want to release them slightly before Leopard so that they start shipping after the Leopard release, so probably late April. Maybe they will bring back colors, I know most people here don't like the idea. Imagine all the iMacs being 2" thin, with no rounded back, a plastic material painted with the same matte style as the black MacBook. If they can make the colors not make us want to puke they may get more public interest because of the uniqueness. It seems Apple always pulls some kind of twist with most product launches, and having different color options would do that in a non huge way. I have learned to not expect anything huge as far as innovation with each release. I would make a mock up, but it is just a waste of time, because Jonathan Ives' work is always so perfect yet unpredictable. When I try to design a future Apple device it always ends up looking very Sony-ish. :(

poppe
Mar 20, 2007, 12:56 AM
Still waiting for a Black Magnesium (is that what the MBP's are made out of) MBP!!

swingerofbirch
Mar 20, 2007, 01:02 AM
There's this continual movement toward bigger, bigger, bigger.

But, I have noticed that after long term use of a product, I don't notice its size.

I have a 20" CRT television. If I am in the middle of a good movie, I don't notice the screen size. A larger screen only seems bigger because I am not used to it. A smaller only smaller because I am not used to it.

I used to have a 12" iBook and had no problems with getting work done on it. Then I had a 17" eMac. Now I have a 17" iMac which at first was a "wow that's bigger" difference. But now, it's not big or small--it's just my screen.

I suggest to you all that there is such a natural condition called screen size tolerance, by which your body and mind over a long enough time adjust to view any screen as the same size as one you may have previously had which was smaller.

corywoolf
Mar 20, 2007, 01:04 AM
Here's to hoping, Apple being an environmentally friendly company, adds support to use the iMac as an external monitor. That way when they get obsolete they don't end up in a land fill as quickly. It would be extra nice for the 24" owners if 3 years down the road they want an easy upgrade, they can get a Mac Mini and hook it up to the 24" dinosaur.:rolleyes:

mcarnes
Mar 20, 2007, 01:06 AM
I'm just hoping that they leave SOME personality in the next revision of the iMac; the current line, while definitely beautiful machines, just don't feel as personal to me as the G4 iMacs did.

Amen brother. Amen. (http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/iMac_SuperDrive.mov)

Eidorian
Mar 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
I hope the 17" model sticks around for more then just the educational variant. I know quite a few that think the SuperDrive version is a great deal and even better in the refurb store. Apple needs a budget all-in-one around.

The iMac G3 held out when the G4 came out for under $1,000.

stephenli
Mar 20, 2007, 01:30 AM
I think it would be nice to offer new iMacs with batteries. New idea? They could be portable enough, and the do run on mobile platforms. :]

u mean Sony's VAIO L?

peestandingup
Mar 20, 2007, 01:43 AM
Expect this brand new iMac to be insane looking. The G5 wasnt THAT different, it was more of a simplistic design. Certainly not as crazy looking as the G4 was to the original at the time, so I bet the next one will be pretty different & blow us away with some new technology of some sort.

hanoimac
Mar 20, 2007, 01:54 AM
...I want a slim, aluminum, iMac!

as i am using an aluminum 20" LCD, i always wish that i could have a 30" aluminum iMacHD that could run FCP perfectly..then performs state_of_the_art frontrow after work...uhmmmmm, bring it up, Apple!

Poff
Mar 20, 2007, 01:56 AM
this would be nice. The iMac's been looking half-ugly ever since they left the lampshade-design, imo... :apple:

iAlan
Mar 20, 2007, 02:11 AM
Like many other posters, I hope Apple introduces touch screen technology to the iMac and to other 'displays'. If Leopard is going to truly push the OS envelope then built in touch screen capabilities would be one way to go -- and with such functionality you would need a variety of ‘touch’ options for all Mac products -- monitors, iMacs and laptops. And I don't think you would just start with the iMac.

Some posters have suggested an iMac with a detachable screen to function as a ‘tablet’ -- I don’t think this will work due to size. Who wants to nurse a 20” screen on there lap? However, a laptop with some form of fold-back screen would work well as a ‘tablet’ me thinks -- and something better than what is out there now. Also, the base of an iMac or monitor would have to be quite heavy and the arms lockable so the puppies don’t move when you start poking them -- but I don’t think this is a problem for hte overall design

Let’s wait and see, but if Apple is seriously developing touch-screen capabilities in Leopard -- or subsequent OS -- I think that pro users would be at the top their list.

I will say 'Way beyond the iMac' is a phrase i hope to use in the not too distant future...

dnedved
Mar 20, 2007, 02:24 AM
As much as I love the design from a functional point-of-view, those things are atrocious looking in a living room. They're not bad sitting on a desk in an office, but there's no way I'd have one in the lounge. Just 6 months ago I bought a Mac mini and Dell 24" as a TV replacement and couldn't be happier. I probably could have saved a bit of money and made better use of space with a 24" imac, but egad that tired old white with such a large border around the screen! What's strange to me is how nice the apple displays look versus how poor the imac looks bolted to a wall in the lounge.

MacFly123
Mar 20, 2007, 02:40 AM
I

Schill359
Mar 20, 2007, 02:42 AM
I have some breaking news on the future iMac! It's going to be an iRubicCube. Think Cube 2.0.

Cube 2.0.

Each side will have a color customizable side, for a configured price of 199.00 per side. Your future iRubicCube will have 1 BILLION color posibilities! Furthermore, an iSteve will be available with each model to swoon customers to spend more of their hard-earned money on.. One more thing..

And one more thing.. The front will be a touchscreen, widescreen, 1080p iPod which detaches and plays music and movies, which will be cheaper than a iPhoneThat's599AndShipsInJune!

mashinhead
Mar 20, 2007, 02:43 AM
this really has my curiosity peaked, i don't think i'll buy one. never owned an imac. But i'm DYING to see what it looks like. Oh why do i have to wait.:(

MacFly123
Mar 20, 2007, 02:43 AM
I just hope they make it widescreen like the Cinema Displays. And, I'll add that I think the current iMac is the most beautiful computer on the market by far, and the chin is not ugly, its just all stunningly beautiful :)

P.S. All wireless perriferals would be SWEET :)

dornoforpyros
Mar 20, 2007, 02:48 AM
Bring back the lamp!

mashinhead
Mar 20, 2007, 02:57 AM
I just hope they make it widescreen like the Cinema Displays. And, I'll add that I think the current iMac is the most beautiful computer on the market by far, and the chin is not ugly, its just all stunningly beautiful :)

P.S. All wireless perriferals would be SWEET :)

isn't it already widescreen? oh and bring on the black ones!!

aswitcher
Mar 20, 2007, 03:01 AM
Black metal would rock - I like the mock up of the current ACD as the new iMac.

I do wish though that they would rotate to potrait.

Twin HDDs would be nice as well for TM.

badcrumble
Mar 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
iPod:current iMac design::iPhone::confused:

here's hoping the new iMacs look as sleekly modern as the iPhone!

iMikeT
Mar 20, 2007, 03:16 AM
I hope Apple puts some power back inside the rumored newly designed iMac. What's stopping me from buying the current iMac is all of the mobile hardware that's in it. I understand that the choice to use mobile hardware is probably the only way Apple could get everything to fit inside such a slim frame. However, as the iMac is categorized as a desktop, I wish it had the hardware synonymous to its build.

My choices in my next computer are (so far):

A) 24" iMac, 2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo, 250 gb hard drive, DL SuperDrive, 256mb NVIDIA 7300 GT, 2 gb RAM, Apple Care, and everything else it comes with... $2,514 (educational)

or

B) Mac Pro (Tower only), Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Single DL SuperDrive, 256mb NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, 2 gb RAM, Apple Care, and everything else it comes with... $2,767 (educational)

Of course, I'll probably add the 23" cinema display with the Mac Pro for an additional $899 and that's not a problem. But what I'm trying to get at is this: a desktop with mobile hardware vs a desktop with more power than I will ever need?

---

Sorry for the long response.:p

ezekielrage_99
Mar 20, 2007, 03:23 AM
I want a Black 24" iMac :D

And trust Apple to do an overhaul AFTER I buy a 20" Mac at Xmas.

jacg
Mar 20, 2007, 03:26 AM
(sorry if anyone's already said this) They like bold statements. Now would be a good time to release the "most environmentally desktop ever". Might they design something with a staggeringly small carbon footprint? Reduced energy (from laptop chips) and reduced packaging for shipping costs, that sort of thing?

Only problem is they'll set themselves up for a big fall when 1000000 environmentalists start looking for flaws in the claim.

And I hope it's beautiful too, not made of recycled cardboard and powered by horse manure or anything.

cwedl
Mar 20, 2007, 03:38 AM
That sucks, my friend wants to get a 24" iMac but is waiting for the next revision. I have the old model! nevermind I'm very happy with my 24" iMac anyway:p

Evangelion
Mar 20, 2007, 03:50 AM
As much as I love the design from a functional point-of-view, those things are atrocious looking in a living room. They're not bad sitting on a desk in an office, but there's no way I'd have one in the lounge. Just 6 months ago I bought a Mac mini and Dell 24" as a TV replacement and couldn't be happier.

A 24" TV? Um, OK. I currently have 32" TV, and it's replacements will be either 37" or 42".

oldwatery
Mar 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
Wow!
I just sold my 20" iMac desk lamp type.
I loved it...just had no more need.:(
Actually I prefered it to the latest type which is a bit brick-like for my tastes.....plus I really dug the beautifully adjustable swivel screen.

Regardless, every generation of iMac has been a groundbreaker and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us next.
If these rumors are true it's gonna be a dussie!

Yes touch screens rock...I have a very advanced POS (point of sale) computer system that is touch screen and it is way cool for general web work etc....it's so fast doing things.
It would be the next logical step for both home and business general use.

This is looking like an amazing year for us Mac maniacs eh!

minielsen
Mar 20, 2007, 04:08 AM
Hi

Apple will be where Intel is on technology, so hopefully they will add options for high-end processors like quad-core and big disks. Disk space will be an issue for me since I am looking to by my first iMac and use it as the media hub for an AppleTV.

At the moment I have a G4 1.25 MacMin (my first mac) and is using that for all my music, cal, pictures.. etc. I have friends that based on my experience with using a Mac as your home computer has bought iMac's. They love the iMac except for one important point, and that is sound. How can Apple that has the biggest online music make a computer where the sound quallity is bad? Hopefully they will make sure that the revisions will have higer quallity sound.

Also it must be time to add higher bit-rate tunes on iTunes.

regards
Michael

oldwatery
Mar 20, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hi

Hopefully they will make sure that the revisions will have higer quallity sound.

Also it must be time to add higher bit-rate tunes on iTunes.

regards
Michael

Amen to both...especially the bit rate thing!

Stridder44
Mar 20, 2007, 04:14 AM
Nothing will happen until Santa Rosa, which is May 9th, I believe. Even then, Apple will probably wait for a few months until they adopt the new technology.

Does it piss anyone else off as much as it does me?

I think bringing back the colors would be a nifty idea, but more so for the mobiles (MacBook mainly) rather than the desktops.

Stridder44
Mar 20, 2007, 04:19 AM

*shakes head in disgust*

I have some breaking news on the future iMac! It's going to be an iRubicCube. Think Cube 2.0.

Cube 2.0.

Each side will have a color customizable side, for a configured price of 199.00 per side. Your future iRubicCube will have 1 BILLION color posibilities! Furthermore, an iSteve will be available with each model to swoon customers to spend more of their hard-earned money on.. One more thing..

And one more thing.. The front will be a touchscreen, widescreen, 1080p iPod which detaches and plays music and movies, which will be cheaper than a iPhoneThat's599AndShipsInJune!

*weeps in disgust*

SPUY767
Mar 20, 2007, 04:20 AM
It needs more Ram Slots.

SPUY767
Mar 20, 2007, 04:25 AM

This design is much more apt to be an iMac. The Mac Pro will never come with a display, not to mention a complete and utter lack of expansion. It would be nice if Apple integrated the entire line with the same industrial design. I, for one, happen to love the brushed aluminum look of the Mac Pro.

zen
Mar 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
Notice how the Appleinsider article mentions a "pair" of C2D processors. Which means quad is coming!

Seems sensible, as the Pro line is still differentiated with the use of Xeons.

a456
Mar 20, 2007, 04:36 AM

I can't quite imagine sitting a 24" screen on your lap. Are you going to use it as a dinner tray too?:D

My worry is that as is typical of Apple they typically like to do one thing at a time, so the redesign will probably mean that the multi-touch does not come along until the next revision - but I'd be very happy if they proved me wrong.

Erasmus
Mar 20, 2007, 04:50 AM
Pleeease not the stuupid lamp thing! I never did like it, it looks like a toy!

Far more likely we'll see something like that picture in a few of these posts, ie. an iMac with no chin, and made from Aluminium.

And hopefully no touch screen. Just too expensive and impractical.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 20, 2007, 04:57 AM
I liked the lamp but what I think will be apples next imac maybe a screen with little or even no frame,no chin with everything behind the screen. Just a screen sitting in front of you supported from behind. Anyways thats my guess. Looking forward to what apple does and say good by to that ugly chin:)

2ndPath
Mar 20, 2007, 05:00 AM
Notice how the Appleinsider article mentions a "pair" of C2D processors. Which means quad is coming!

I thought the main reason to use Xeons in the Mac Pro is that they are the only CPUs of the current generation of Intel CPUs which can be used in multi CPU configurations. The C2D CPUs (Conroe and Merom) are only supported as single CPUs.

CmdrLaForge
Mar 20, 2007, 05:16 AM

maybe it competes too much with the mini

jellomizer
Mar 20, 2007, 05:20 AM

I am sure I am not the only one. But I never quite like the G5/Intel iMac Design. the G3s were Cute the G4 Design was bold and Sexy. The G5/Intel I found was really boring. When you See it in real life it huge, and Clunky. While it is thiner then most other PCs out there it still doesn't look quite right. Apple has been doing a lot of work making thin design systems. I think the new iMac will be ultra thin. Thinner ten most LCD Displays out there, and perhaps with some sharper edges to it.

ATG
Mar 20, 2007, 05:20 AM
And to think I was going to buy an iMac. I can wait :)

koobcamuk
Mar 20, 2007, 05:21 AM

That's what I keep thinking, yet Apple manage it somehow. Just expect it to be done, and expect not to know what the final designs will look like.

I want a MBP but I am holding out until they get a serious face lift. They're amazing looking right now, but I can't see how it could be improved... hence I am looking forward to it!

jonharris200
Mar 20, 2007, 05:25 AM
I'd be looking for at least one ground-breaking design feature that gets everyone talking, like an iSight built into the screen itself, supplying video-conferencing with a revolutionary sense of immediacy.

Not expecting touch screens in iMacs just yet, I think Apple will opt to mature this branch of OS X within the iPhone eco-system first, then add touch to more products next year.

koobcamuk
Mar 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
(sorry if anyone's already said this) They like bold statements. Now would be a good time to release the "most environmentally desktop ever". Might they design something with a staggeringly small carbon footprint? Reduced energy (from laptop chips) and reduced packaging for shipping costs, that sort of thing?

Well said. I hope that does happen. I am doing a Ph.D in Atmospheric Physics and I would love Apple to produce the most environmentally friendly computer out there. It might cost a bit more, look a bit better and not actually destroy the planet (as much). I don't care if they get it perfect or not (on the environmental side) because they will be one of the only companies making technology that [would] seem to give a damn about the planet.

koobcamuk
Mar 20, 2007, 05:32 AM
The current 17" iMac could remain and be analogous to the eMac.

The eMac was more or less an evolutionary design from the original G3 iMac. The G4 iMac moved ahead with its LCD, while the eMac had a CRT with iMac G4-like insides.

Dropping the current 17" iMac would be a mistake. Lots of folks here couldn't care less about it, but there are a whole bunch of people who'd prefer an all-in-one budget Mac instead of a Mac mini.

edit: praterkeith beat me to it. :)
It was about the only Mac I could get (apart from a mini & display) on my £1000 ($2000) budget from my University. Suits me fine. Lovely little thing. Pretty nippy too.

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 05:36 AM
Count me in as another one hoping to see touch technology in the iMac, as improbable as it may seem. Maybe even just one top of the line " 30th Anniversary" iMac, to show what they can do, get a bunch of press, and to give us something to drool over while prices come down. Unfortunately if I had to guess I'd say the next time we see Multitouch it will be either an iPod or a small tablet, as the costs for a small screen are more tolerable. Just imagine the msrp of a 30 inch HD touch screen iMac, it could only be a special edition product!

As far as the cosmetics of the iMac are concerned, I think it's the best looking computer on the market already, bar none. I would much rather see them working on improving the way we interact with and use our computers over just making them thinner, shinier, or in a rainbow of colors.

Does anyone think touch capabilities could be a "top secret" feature in Leapard? Could they hold back something this important from developers?

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 20, 2007, 05:42 AM
Last thing I would want is a touch screen because you will end up with a mess and everything thats stuck in between and under your key board will now be splattered all over your screen. Its not needed in my view. They just need to clean up the current design styling wise and off they will be.......throwing in the latest greatest video card along with that mind you.

JDN
Mar 20, 2007, 05:50 AM
And to think I was going to buy an iMac. I can wait :)

You may well be waiting a long time!

I am liking the MBP/MP style theme, and it does fit with a more 'industrial' look.

BillyShears
Mar 20, 2007, 05:59 AM

That's not what it says:

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has called upon its award-winning design chief Jonathan Ive and his team to cut the fat from the the current iMac line and outfit a pair of new Core 2 Duo-based models in a form factor that will be both slimmer and sleeker than today's offerings.

That's two models, not two processors. 20" and 24", presumably.

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 06:00 AM
Last thing I would want is a touch screen because you will end up with a mess and everything thats stuck in between and under your key board will now be splattered all over your screen. Its not needed in my view. They just need to clean up the current design styling wise and off they will be.......throwing in the latest greatest video card along with that mind you.

I'm not sure if I understand your point, I don't think they should stop providing keyboards and mice, but add this new interface on top of what we have now. There are applications where this would be useful already, and many more that are probably not yet realized. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the mouse was introduced, didn't some complain it was silly and not needed. With time and development, it has become integral to computing.

BillyShears
Mar 20, 2007, 06:12 AM
Thinner (according to AppleInsider)
No chin
Swivel?
Ports on bottom (seems to me all your cords would dangle as it is, haven't seen this for sure, though)

Making it thinner and removing the chin would be easier if the 17" is left out. Bigger models have more space.

Also, doesn't it seem like the whole Mac line is going to get updated soon?

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2007, 06:14 AM

yup. My mother will need a new computer soon. She wants to keep the price low (around $1k) and doesn't want a mini. If apple drops the 17" imac I don't know what she would do.

So I really hope they don't drop the 17"er, but a new design would be nice (even though I think the current one is brilliant, unlike some around here). :)

lelereb
Mar 20, 2007, 06:15 AM
Uh? Apple is trying to make a two-dimensional iMac?

cbetta
Mar 20, 2007, 06:24 AM
Excuse me, but isn't this next one actually the 3rd revision and not the 4th. I do not consider the Original iMac to be a revision, but as the name says an original. What would this iMac be a revision of anyway.

So in my opinion we are now at the 2nd revision and the next one is the 3rd.

Lepton
Mar 20, 2007, 06:27 AM
Chin removed to make it symmetrical. Stand can adjust height a bit. Stand is removable. Plugs moved sideways and don't stick out, wires channel to come out at lower bottom corner. Slightly thinner. Back is flat and has keyholes on it. Stick a couple of nails in the wall and you can hang the unit on the wall, no complex mount needed. Or, you can lay the unit flat on the desk. Or sit it on a 30 degree wedge on the desk. Why? The front is a multitouch screen! Control with fingers and/or draw with a conductive stylus. Keyboard/mouse is wireless and not strictly required. Screen is 16:9, case is gray. Express card slot allows for card that enables cellular calls and data.

In other words the new iMac is three in one: 1) On stand like regular iMac; 2) On wall like a flat screen TV; 3) On desk like a tablet Mac. You can think of it as a sort of a big, 16:9, plug-in-the-wall iPhone.

Just a guess. But, they all laughed at my mostly-correct Apple iPhone guesses... Mike from myallo.com (http://www.myallo.com)

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 06:39 AM
Chin removed to make it symmetrical. Stand can adjust height a bit. Stand is removable. Plugs moved from back to bottom edge. Thinner. Back is flat and has keyholes on it. Stick a couple of nails in the wall and you can hang the unit on the wall, no complex mount needed. Or, you can lay the unit flat on the desk. Or sit it on a 30 degree wedge on the desk. Why? The front is a multitouch screen! Control with fingers and/or draw with a conductive stylus. Keyboard/mouse is wireless and not strictly required.

In other words the new iMac is three in one: 1) On stand like regular iMac; 2) On wall like a flat screen TV; 3) On desk like a tablet Mac.

I like the whole concept, except the wall mount. Wouldn't a screen large enough to serve as a wall mounted flat panel be a bit hard to manage. I would love to see an Apple 37 inch smart tv, as a standalone product.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 20, 2007, 06:41 AM
this would be nice. The iMac's been looking half-ugly ever since they left the lampshade-design, imo... :apple:
Woohoooooo, I thought I was the only one who thought that!

Rod Rod
Mar 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
Excuse me, but isn't this next one actually the 3rd revision and not the 4th. I do not consider the Original iMac to be a revision, but as the name says an original. What would this iMac be a revision of anyway.

The correct word for a completely new design of a given product is "generation." The correct word for gradual or incremental updates within a generation is "revision." However, the first of a generation is considered the first revision of that generation.

BWhaler
Mar 20, 2007, 06:49 AM

Wow. I would buy that in a heartbeat, especially if it came with two drives.

I like the concept of the iMac, but the Jay Leno chin needs to go.

(with no disrespect to Jay...he's a funny and good man...)

motulist
Mar 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
Bring it on, I'm ready to get rid of this loud fan humming iMac G5 here!:mad:

The loud fan problem was only in the early revision iMacs as I understand it, so if little quirks bother you then don't jump on the new iMac Omega during the early revs either because they're sure to have little design quirks as well, as does every 1st rev computer from any manufacturer.

DonRivella
Mar 20, 2007, 06:56 AM
Looking forward to the new design. I never liked the LCD iMacs, and the current model is the only truly ugly one in Apple's present lineup.

mrgreen4242
Mar 20, 2007, 07:07 AM

Or unless they are finally going to give us a decent headless iMac... get mini prices back down to the $500/700 range, drop the 17" iMac, have a mid-tower Mac at $999-1299, start the 20" at $1399, the 24" at $1899, and the Mac Pro starts at about $2099 up to $3000 (when you drop it to the lower CPU config). Seems like a pretty good line up.

chiphead
Mar 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
I've read a ton of these posts. The silver iMac posted is not what they release, I hope. It will have little chin, 20" and bigger, HD monitor, quad-core. Maybe we will be smitten because it will match the size of the current monitors, maybe thinner. The wider the box (20" and larger) the more we can squeeze in there. I think the fastest MBP is faster than the fastest iMac right now. So serious upgrading is possible and in order. Touchscreen would be functional mainly on a device that is portable. iMac is not meant to be a portable device, macbook is. I see no need for portability of a desktop device. 20-24" HUGE is too much for the "detachable" concept to cruise internet on couch while watching Lost. Touchscreen is possible, my local Best Buy had a Sony or some half-breed running Vista with touch screen. At first, I'm like, WOW - then I'm like, WHATEVER.

Touchscreen is needed in a tablet-mac with pop-up keyboard like iphone, not iMac. A cheap flash-based device for carrying basic documents, browsing net, e-mail, photos (not advanced photo editing), etc. to carry around. Not a PDA.

Just my two cents.

TheManOfSilver
Mar 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
I'm really looking forward to an iMac refresh. I'm definitely going to be in the market for one in the new future, and I've been holding off for the next redesign (and Leopard, iLife '07, etc).

Slimmer and sleeker is nice, a black one would be awesome, but I'd be even more impressed with bringing back more adjustability in the stand (maybe swivel functionality) and at least the option for dual hard drives.

A boost into real desktop performance with the newer generation of low power Xeons would be a real option instead of waiting on Santa Rosa too. If not, they may have to wait for Penryn to get cooler-running desktop processors into the iMac.

BenRoethig
Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 AM

I'm hoping Apple is dropping the outdated professional 17 & 20- inch panels for the newer 19 &2 2 inch consumer models. Unless you're running really high end programs, you can't tell the difference. Unfortunately, I fear that Apple is going to just drop the lower end models, moving the whole line upscale in price like they did with the Mac Pro, and create a situation where some users question if its still financially Viable to be a Mac user.

Considering that A) there probably isn't going to be enough room and B) Core 2 Duos are not designed to run in tandem, I don't see that happening.

mrgreen4242
Mar 20, 2007, 07:23 AM

Only problem is they'll set themselves up for a big fall when 1000000 environmentalists start looking for flaws in the claim.

And I hope it's beautiful too, not made of recycled cardboard and powered by horse manure or anything.

That's the best idea I've heard so far. It'd be nice if they offered some user controlled power stepping tool as well, with a graphical indicator of how much juice it's drawing, as well as some simple comparisons to household appliances that use the same amount of power. Some way to let you decide how much power you need from your computer right now and help keep you informed as to how much it's using. Should be easy to do with the laptop power management systems already out there.
I'm hoping Apple is dropping the outdated professional 17 & 20- inch panels for the newer 19 &2 2 inch consumer models. Unless you're running really high end programs, you can't tell the difference. Unfortunately, I fear that Apple is going to just drop the lower end models, moving the whole line upscale in price like they did with the Mac Pro, and create a situation where some users question if its still financially Viable to be a Mac user.

That's a good idea as well. A lot of people don't like the 19" and 22" TN panels because of the lower color range and larger dot pitch, but the iMac isn't supposed to be a semi-pro machine, it's supposed to be a home machine. You're dead on with that. The only reason they've fallen into the quasi-pro usage role is because Apple has priced everything else out of the means of the "prosumer" or low end professional use. And those panels are fine for 90% of the people out there, which is what the iMac should be aiming at.

If they used the 19" and 22" it would save some money, and let them either drop prices (not very Apple) or increase the power of the rest of the system without upping price (more Apple). Like bigger HDDs, better GPUs, integrated ATSC tuners... ;)

They need to then add the mythical midrange tower Mac to meet the needs of the prosumer/semi-pro/whatever you want to call the people buying 24" iMacs to do professional work on.

BenRoethig
Mar 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
yup. My mother will need a new computer soon. She wants to keep the price low (around $1k) and doesn't want a mini. If apple drops the 17" imac I don't know what she would do.

So I really hope they don't drop the 17"er, but a new design would be nice (even though I think the current one is brilliant, unlike some around here). :)

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to fear that Apple is starting to make most of its computer decisions based on design factors. They're more than willing to make a computer that is more expensive and less practical as long as the design is more stunning. Even with Mac users, that kind of thinking is going to eventually drive everyone to their breaking point.

lunarworks
Mar 20, 2007, 07:35 AM
On Friday I saw that iMacs were on sale at Future Shop.

The first thing that came to mind was "Wow, updates must be coming soon."

Guess I was right.

Mar 20, 2007, 07:36 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to fear that Apple is starting to make most of its computer decisions based on design factors. They're more than willing to make a computer that is more expensive and less practical as long as the design is more stunning. Even with Mac users, that kind of thinking is going to eventually drive everyone to their breaking point.

Apple has always been about industrial design. Why is it that some people think design isn't important?

Good industrial design makes the technology transparent to the task... Smart industrial design isn't just about the exterior, either. It's also about the user interface, the simplicity of connecting peripherals, the ergonomic organization of components both internally and externally.

Using technology shouldn't be more difficult, convoluted and uncomfortable than the result one is trying to achieve. But good industrial design comes at a price and Apple (at least under Jobs' direction) has been very successful knowing exactly where those breaking points are, with very rare exception.

Not everyone can afford an Apple, but Apple's industrial design factors push other companies to refine their designs as well... Someone has to be the innovator and instigator of change, and thank the flying spaghetti monster it's Apple and not some inept bunch.

Form IS integral to function, despite what some self-appointed technoboob pundits like to post on their self-important blog rants.

motulist
Mar 20, 2007, 07:54 AM
Form IS integral to function, despite what some self-appointed technoboob pundits like to post on their self-important blog rants.

You couldn't be more right. I dropped my powerbook a couple of years ago and somewhat damaged the connector at the end of the power cord (but that was it, powerbooks are tanks!). So after intermittent problems with th power cord I decided to replace it. The repair shop said I could have a non-apple power cord for $50 right now, or an $80 Apple branded one in a few weeks. The only difference in function was it doesn't have the light up ring that tells you if the power cord is connected or not. Well I can tell you that colored light up ring is not just eye candy, if I yank the computer and the cheapo cord falls out or disconnects I have no obvious visual warning until the OS warns me that I'm running low on battery.

Good form means good function.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 08:14 AM
I work at an elementary school as their computer tech and the district is buying the teachers new Macs next year. Hopefully, these new iMacs would be as easy to use as the G3 iMacs & eMacs they were using. Only problem is quite a few of our programs (most notably special ed and kindergarten) are still Mac OS 9 so they won't work on them. On the other hand, the G3 iMacs were getting REALLY slow. G3 anything running 10.4 is crazy.

andiwm2003
Mar 20, 2007, 08:15 AM
You couldn't be more right. I dropped my powerbook a couple of years ago and somewhat damaged the connector at the end of the power cord (but that was it, powerbooks are tanks!). So after intermittent problems with th power cord I decided to replace it. The repair shop said I could have a non-apple power cord for $50 right now, or an $80 Apple branded one in a few weeks. The only difference in function was it doesn't have the light up ring that tells you if the power cord is connected or not. Well I can tell you that colored light up ring is not just eye candy, if I yank the computer and the cheapo cord falls out or disconnects I have no obvious visual warning until the OS warns me that I'm running low on battery.

that's why all other laptop manufacturers have an LED indicator in the notebook. by that they don't need to charge extra money for a power supply.

and yes, i think once in a while apple is going to far with their design.

mccldwll
Mar 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
My predictions:

-17" will stay as is, becoming the emac.
-Chin will largely disappear.
-Probably not metal due to cost, dings, reception, save metal for pro line.
-No touch screen--family machine has to be jelly fingered kid proof.
-SJ loves cubes (G4 and NY store)--might see a hybrid between G4 cube, G4 imac, and mini. Modular expansion in display base. Display and computer mod separable for upgrade/environment.
-Will be intentionally "crippled" as have been all imacs so won't cannibalize mac pro sales (G5 imac was also aesthetically crippled--big chin and bright, glaring white which was hard for long term viewing-- for same reason, IMO).
-Might see color options (what happened to inexpensive Mactallic covers? Did Apple quietly buy the company in anticipation of future product introduction?)
-Available very, very soon along with release of Leopard. My guess is within next 3-4 weeks , so won't compete with iPhone $$. iPhone will be out by mid-May so available for college graduation presents.
-Laptops will see upgrades in August for back to school market.
-new iPod and apple TV stuff for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

motulist
Mar 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
that's why all other laptop manufacturers have an LED indicator in the notebook. by that they don't need to charge extra money for a power supply.

and yes, i think once in a while apple is going to far with their design.

The total cost is the same though, other manufacturers just make you pay for it as part of the computer instead of the cord. After a fall the indicator could've been damaged just as easily no matter what part of the computer it's on.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 08:21 AM

I agree, but I also feel there shouldn't be too much eye candy. Something that looks nice just for the sake of looking nice would make Apple lose many power users. However, it should still look good. Things that work well but aren't good looking aren't fun to work with (think of the TV show "house").

I also hope Apple doesn't become a totally upscale company. Many people will be turned off by a $2000 iMac. I believe Apple made really cool computers, but charged an arm and a leg for them. Partially b/c of that, Macs have such a low market share. If Apple brings out some inexpensive, but useful computers, they're good.

zen
Mar 20, 2007, 08:22 AM
That's not what it says:

That's two models, not two processors. 20" and 24", presumably.

Ah, bum. Still, we live in hope! I was all about to buy a 20" iMac, but as my need isn't pressing, I'll wait for Leopard and the next revision. If Appleinsider is correct, it could be very nice indeed.

JDN
Mar 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure i understand the 'No need for an external iSight ... the entire screen is one'.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure i understand the 'No need for an external iSight ... the entire screen is one'.

I agree. What if someone buys a Mac Pro or mini and not an Apple display?

Darkroom
Mar 20, 2007, 08:26 AM
i believe the latest design of iMac is very strong, and much stronger than the G4 (which resembled something of a retro kitchen appliance).

as many have posted, i too am excited to see the new design. however, i honestly hope they do not introduce a black iMac. black was ok for the iPod, a little pushy for the MacBook. a black iMac would require a black Pro Keyboard and Black Mighty Mouse (no?)...

black computers are just so 90s! perhaps Apple should also offer beige colored models for every one of their computers too...

zen
Mar 20, 2007, 08:29 AM
Just out of interest, what is all this talk of touchscreens? Who the heck wants a touchscreen? Firstly, I sit far enough away from my monitor that I can't actually touch it without sitting on the edge of my seat and leaning forward. Secondly, the last thing I want to do is to put horrid greasy (and worse) marks on the screen, and I certainly wouldn't trust family members or visitors to have as clean hands as me! And thirdly, I have a keyboard, and a mouse. Why exactly do I need to touch the screen?

brianus
Mar 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
Makes sense. The current iMacs look like giant, stretched-out iPods, so the next generation iMacs will look like giant, sideways iPhones. Hopefully with touch screens and a new base/stand that allows greater movement (Tasteful, of course; nothing like that that ridiculous, ugly G4 design -- the silliest looking product they've ever released. The G5/Core design was tasteful, but not so functional).

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
ooh sounds nice,but will there be new mac pros :( *sniff* at this rate im never gonna get one

Like I've been saying the earliest new Mac Pros will be seen will be 3rd or 4th quarter.

New MacBook Pros will be sooner (and different) than everyone expects.

There is a plan in place with a goal not to alienate the existing last generation PowerMac users with new looking enclosures for the first run of Intel machines. Now that the dust as settled expect to see the rollout of new designs (expect for the MacBook which was the one exception).

brianus
Mar 20, 2007, 08:36 AM
Just out of interest, what is all this talk of touchscreens? Who the heck wants a touchscreen? Firstly, I sit far enough away from my monitor that I can't actually touch it without sitting on the edge of my seat and leaning forward. Secondly, the last thing I want to do is to put horrid greasy (and worse) marks on the screen, and I certainly wouldn't trust family members or visitors to have as clean hands as me! And thirdly, I have a keyboard, and a mouse. Why exactly do I need to touch the screen?

Neither I nor anyone I know sits that far away from their screen, nor do any of them have computers they have to share with family members. I can't imagine I would use the touch screen feature for everything, but it would be nice and intuitive for programs that had been designed to take advantage of feaures such as multitouch (which surely must be incorporated into Leopard), or for certain graphics/drawing applications, if you could just pull the screen forward on an incline and use it temporarily as a kind of big slate or drafting board. The rest of the time, I don't know, but after using a touch screen phone for a year I find I sometimes impulsively touch the "OK" button on pop-up dialogs on my Mac, forgetting I need to use the mouse :D

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 08:39 AM

PowerBook is a tank? What model. A couple of years ago, my computer bag slipped off of my shoulder while I was getting out of the car in the garage. The corner of the bag hit the floor, but not hard, because I managed to slow it's descent. When I got into the house, I discovered that the corner of PowerBook's case folded like tinfoil and the screen had a 1" scratch. Yeah, it still worked, but the aluminum case is totality cheap. I have since decided not to purchase another aluminum Mac and have been eyeing the MacBook instead (if only it had better video!).

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 08:40 AM
Neither I nor anyone I know sits that far away from their screen, nor do any of them have computers they have to share with family members. I can't imagine I would use the touch screen feature for everything, but it would be nice and intuitive for programs that had been designed to take advantage of feaures such as multitouch (which surely must be incorporated into Leopard), or for certain graphics/drawing applications, if you could just pull the screen forward on an incline and use it temporarily as a kind of big slate or drafting board. The rest of the time, I don't know, but after using a touch screen phone for a year I find I sometimes impulsively touch the "OK" button on pop-up dialogs on my Mac, forgetting I need to use the mouse :D

I agree, touchscreens can be useful. I find a lot of people who post here have the mentality of "If I don't need xyz feature, why does anyone else?" It really pisses me off. Why do so many people think everyone is just like them?

Le Big Mac
Mar 20, 2007, 08:43 AM
When I read the news report, this is almost exactly what I imagined, except it would be called an iMac. Maybe a different chin, and of course VESA mounting.

And I would guess they keep the 17" and put it in the new case.

FleurDuMal
Mar 20, 2007, 08:44 AM
Give me a halfway decent graphics card and make it look at least a bit pretty and I'll snap it up.

Yes, I am that shallow.

Le Big Mac
Mar 20, 2007, 08:44 AM
Uh? Apple is trying to make a two-dimensional iMac?

:)

iMac Flatland edition?

motulist
Mar 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
PowerBook is a tank? What model. A couple of years ago, my computer bag slipped off of my shoulder while I was getting out of the car in the garage. The corner of the bag hit the floor, but not hard, because I managed to slow it's descent. When I got into the house, I discovered that the corner of PowerBook's case folded like tinfoil and the screen had a 1" scratch. Yeah, it still worked, but the aluminum case is totality cheap. I have since decided not to purchase another aluminum Mac and have been eyeing the MacBook instead (if only it had better video!).

Powerbook G4 1 ghz. It's been dropped, bashed and had tons of water spilled all over the keyboard and grill surface, but except for the power cord and the screen naturally getting dimmer over the years, it's still 100% functioning. In fact, I'd really enjoy having a new computer, but I can't even come close to justifying it because this bad boy is still rockin' the house!

Cybergypsy
Mar 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
I am waiting to buy my Mac for this next release of the iMac. The iMac is the most outstanding line of Macs in my opinion. Hopefully they go all out.

I didnt know they could do like touchscreen stuff yet, but that would be totally sweet. I am just hoping for something better in the Hardware department. I would like it to run accual desktop computer parts, instead of laptop stuff.

Finally, I hope it comes out sooner - rather than later. I need to buy now!

I am with yyou, G4's were Art, Current model is just ugly....hope the next is better...

Rocketman
Mar 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure if I understand your point, I don't think they should stop providing keyboards and mice, but add this new interface on top of what we have now. There are applications where this would be useful already, and many more that are probably not yet realized. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the mouse was introduced, didn't some complain it was silly and not needed. With time and development, it has become integral to computing.

This could be the first "dockable" iMac. The screen and CPU are thinner, lighter, smaller bezel, maybe even touchscreen capable.

The "Base station" could have a charger, mouse, keyboard, printer, wired internet, cord to TV, etc.

Rocketman

zen
Mar 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
I agree, touchscreens can be useful. I find a lot of people who post here have the mentality of "If I don't need xyz feature, why does anyone else?" It really pisses me off. Why do so many people think everyone is just like them?
Oh please! There is an equal and opposite mentality that says "xyz feature is useful to me, why doesn't everybody use it?". The same argument applies.

Touchscreens are a bit of a niche interest at the moment, and I don't see the iMac using one. Yes, the can be useful, but only for a small proportion of computer users.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 09:03 AM

I guess it's all about how you drop it. I dropped my iBook G3 a while ago and the hinge that connects the display broke along w/ the trackpad. So I had to basically put on an external keyboard, mouse & display. I find many of Apple's concepts are good, just really shoddy workmanship. I had to replace the power cord on it like 3-4 times. I guess that's what you get using Chinese sweat shops.

nickane
Mar 20, 2007, 09:03 AM
My predictions:

-17" will stay as is, becoming the emac.
-Chin will largely disappear.
-Probably not metal due to cost, dings, reception, save metal for pro line.
-No touch screen--family machine has to be jelly fingered kid proof.
-SJ loves cubes (G4 and NY store)--might see a hybrid between G4 cube, G4 imac, and mini. Modular expansion in display base. Display and computer mod separable for upgrade/environment.
-Will be intentionally "crippled" as have been all imacs so won't cannibalize mac pro sales (G5 imac was also aesthetically crippled--big chin and bright, glaring white which was hard for long term viewing-- for same reason, IMO).
-Might see color options (what happened to inexpensive Mactallic covers? Did Apple quietly buy the company in anticipation of future product introduction?)
-Available very, very soon along with release of Leopard. My guess is within next 3-4 weeks , so won't compete with iPhone $$. iPhone will be out by mid-May so available for college graduation presents.
-Laptops will see upgrades in August for back to school market.
-new iPod and apple TV stuff for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Hear, hear, except that I highly doubt that if the iPhone is rushed to market a month early it'll be to capture that key demo in the smartphone game of 23/24-year-olds-just-about-to-enter-the-workplace. Apologies if you're kidding cos that's when u graduate or whatever, I just didn't get it.

For all you fools expecting the imac to suddenly become a half-price widescreen wacom cintiq with a computer thrown in for free, i suggest you take pause.

17-inch will definitely remain, all the article implies is that there's not enough space to lose its chin. The emac to G4 imac comparison is a valid one and I'm guessing that's what will happen.

Funny how half the ppl here think the current one is perfect, the other half hate the chin or even the whole thing with some even preferring the old one. The claim that it had more "personality" seems to me largely to do with that (admittedly brilliant) advert. My friend had one, and I don't remember it ever sticking its tongue out at me unless one of us pressed the eject button.

What ppl need to realise is that Apple has waited so long with all these updates that with santa rosa coming in may, if Jobsy is to keep good on his claim that revisions will happen as the new intel chips become available, the mbp (and, consequently, the mb) & the imac can't have an update for at least another 2 months, cos otherwise we won't get core2quad's until the revision after that. The mac mini will probably finally go 64-bit before that since it won't get santa rosa til after all the afore-mentioned have it and the MP will hopefully finally go octo-core at NAB, probably with new displays.

I appreciate what ppl are saying about putting TN displays in imac's, as the high-end ones are not entirely neccessary for most users, but I disagree, cos Apple has clearly avoided cheap LCDs for a reason, and DVDs definitely look better on cinema displays (S-IPS or whatever the technology's called) so I doubt they'll be changing that after all these years.

One thing is clear from this thread, tho: Jobsy can't keep applying his ipod price structure to his computer lines. Too many ppl are getting priced out by Apple's trying to meet the demand for a mid-range headless mac with the 24-inch imac, and by the rising expense of the persistently crippled mac mini which would cost half as much if it was twice its size and used desktop components.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 09:09 AM
Oh please! There is an equal and opposite mentality that says "xyz feature is useful to me, why doesn't everybody use it?". The same argument applies.

Touchscreens are a bit of a niche interest at the moment, and I don't see the iMac using one. Yes, the can be useful, but only for a small proportion of computer users.

True, not everybody needs every single feature, but there should be products that are geared towards those niches. That's why we have Mac Pros, iMacs, Mac minis & laptops. Not everybody needs the portability of a laptop, nor the power of a Mac Pro. While it'll be easier for Apple to just to make one product, the consumers would get pissed off. However, it's also too much work to make a computer individually handcrafted for each specific person. Just a few products, one for a general group. Then have it be adaptable enough for more specific situations.

To be honest, I'm getting rally tired of all this BS where if you have a different viewpoint on something, you're flamed. Everybody should really lighten up!

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 09:09 AM
This could be the first "dockable" iMac. The screen and CPU are thinner, lighter, smaller bezel, maybe even touchscreen capable.

The "Base station" could have a charger, mouse, keyboard, printer, wired internet, cord to TV, etc.

Rocketman

Thats exactly what I'm picturing, maybe place the optical drive in the base as well to save space and weight. When docked, it would appear and function just like the current iMac, but when needed it would be a portable and very adaptable tablet. iWait

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
To be honest, I'm getting rally tired of all this BS where if you have a different viewpoint on something, you're flamed. Everybody should really lighten up!
Well said.
Let's review, we are at a rumor site, we are discussing rumors, we all have our favorite rumors that we want to come true. If I talk about my favorite rumor, and it isn't yours, it doesn't mean your rumor can't come true, and it doesn't make your rumor right. Namecalling and derogatory comments surely won't help it happen either.

pilotError
Mar 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
I would be happy if they built in a nice looking way to pop off the back and make replaceable components.

Upgradeable Hard Drives, Graphics cards and perhaps the wireless card should be effortless. This is probably the biggest argument against switching from a PC. Most folks think of it as an all in one appliance.

The "chin" doesn't bother me at all. In fact when most people see it, they always ask wheres the tower.

Touch is overrated. The place I work at has been deploying it for 10 years now and most of our users hate it. We stopped deploying it on all but our handhelds. I don't ever see it coming to an iMac. I could see a use for it in a tablet form, but not much elsewhere. Maybe in a professional line of monitors for the Mac Pro.

BenRoethig
Mar 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
Apple has always been about industrial design. Why is it that some people think design isn't important?

Good industrial design makes the technology transparent to the task... Smart industrial design isn't just about the exterior, either. It's also about the user interface, the simplicity of connecting peripherals, the ergonomic organization of components both internally and externally.

Using technology shouldn't be more difficult, convoluted and uncomfortable than the result one is trying to achieve. But good industrial design comes at a price and Apple (at least under Jobs' direction) has been very successful knowing exactly where those breaking points are, with very rare exception.

Not everyone can afford an Apple, but Apple's industrial design factors push other companies to refine their designs as well... Someone has to be the innovator and instigator of change, and thank the flying spaghetti monster it's Apple and not some inept bunch.

I'm not saying design isn't important, I'm saying there has to be a balance. When the price keeps going up and the specs keep getting downgraded in relation to similar machines just to make it look better something is out of wack. They way things are going, there will come at time when those of us who see the Mac as computer platform and not a quazi religion will reach our breaking point.

esavoie
Mar 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
will I see a marked improvement in speed on this new machine over my Mini 1.4ghz? :)

I REALLY hope the new Imacs come out at the same time as Leopard. The above mentioned Mini will thank SJ for it.

ready2switch
Mar 20, 2007, 09:28 AM

I would think "generation" was meant rather than "revision".

Personally, I think using the ACD converted into the new iMac would be very sleek. Not to offend all of you G4 iMac lovers, but in my opinion that thing just looks awful.

Also, I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to a touch screen option, but really, do you sit close enough to a 24" or even 30" screen to be able to use touch capabilities (or can you without going blind?) Just a thought :p

slu
Mar 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
Please stop with the "Bring back the G4 iMac design".

It will not happen. Apple will never take a step back. There may be elements that get incorporated into the new design...like adjustable screen height and tilt, but the old design will never come back. It was too expensive to produce...period.

Don't get me wrong, I had no problem with the G4 iMac, but I have no problem with the current design either.

Why do people want to go back? I am excited to see what NEW things Apple has to offer.

milo
Mar 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
I don't really care about design, but if they look cool, that's nice. But...

MORE RAM SLOTS. PLEASE.

kangaroo
Mar 20, 2007, 09:45 AM

Take a look at the Sony Vaio VGC-LS25E--it makes the iMac look like a clunker.

jagolden
Mar 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
A 24" TV? Um, OK. I currently have 32" TV, and it's replacements will be either 37" or 42".

I don't think this has been explore enough here.
We have a nice thin form factor iMac.
We now have Apple TV.
There have been rumors in the past few years of Apple producing HD TVs.
I'd like Apple to combine at tleast two of them and creat a large screen HD iMac 37" to 47" in size.
This would truly bring Apple into our living rooms, and franky I don't think it's too far-fetched for the relatively near future.

For computing - wireless keyboard and mouse.
For entertainment - Apple TV and outs to run iTunes to your current audio system.

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 09:49 AM
Powerbook G4 1 ghz. It's been dropped, bashed and had tons of water spilled all over the keyboard and grill surface, but except for the power cord and the screen naturally getting dimmer over the years, it's still 100% functioning. In fact, I'd really enjoy having a new computer, but I can't even come close to justifying it because this bad boy is still rockin' the house!
It may just be the fact that the computer barely hit the floor (hmm, is that like being kind of pregnant) and fell in super slow motion in a good computer bag is what to this day drives me crazy. I should mention that I was able to remold the corner back in shape with my fingers (which is scary too).

However, for the two plus years I had the computer, I never ran into any problems with the power adapter port (and this with non-stop travelling the whole time I used it) and the keyboard handled flooding better than a standard Apple keyboard (a Diet Coke exploded in it a hotel room and after a two reboots, it was back up and running perfectly).

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 09:57 AM
I have and really like the design of the current iMac. It is very sleek, clean and beautiful to my eye. I do wish that there were some side/top/bottom mounted usb/firewire ports so that I don't have to turn the unit around to get to the ports on the back.

The cinema display design mock-up on previous pages is nice in an industrial way.

I have one idea for the "chin". Apple might utilize the space for a user functional purpose. How about embedding a 2" X (screen width) LCD that would hold the dock, clock, activity monitor and the other stuff that is now on the bar at the top of the OS x screen? Or maybe a mini-iTunes control panel? Or maybe a mode that plays RSS streams or stock "ticker"? That would free up some screen acreage. When the cursor is not in that area, it might have the ability to turn into a screen saver type of moving artwork (user selectable.) Or, maybe have a user selectable mode where dashboard widgets are displayed there? Or maybe be able to use it as a visual clipboard, dropping photos/movies there for later use?

lelereb
Mar 20, 2007, 10:03 AM
I don't really care about design, but if they look cool, that's nice. But...

MORE RAM SLOTS. PLEASE.

Yeah, 2 more ram slots! 2 slots is good for mini and laptops.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
They way things are going, there will come at time when those of us who see the Mac as computer platform and not a quazi religion will reach our breaking point.

Amen.

;)

-Clive

rtdunham
Mar 20, 2007, 10:15 AM
I have one idea for the "chin". Apple might utilize the space for a user functional purpose. How about embedding a 2" X (screen width) LCD that would hold the dock, clock, activity monitor and the other stuff that is now on the bar at the top of the OS x screen? Or maybe a mini-iTunes control panel? Or maybe a mode that plays RSS streams or stock "ticker"? That would free up some screen acreage. When the cursor is not in that area, it might have the ability to turn into a screen saver type of moving artwork (user selectable.) Or, maybe have a user selectable mode where dashboard widgets are displayed there?

That's admirable creative thinking, outside the box and that's where good ideas come from after a lot of massaging. Cost might be prohibitive. But the challenge to apple would be to find a way to adapt this that looks good and more importantly WORKS well, that gives it VALUE to the customer. I've seen laptops with modest examples of what you're talking about. Thanks for opening that way of thinking for us all. It'll be interesting to see how the folks on the forum run with it.

Here are a couple of other suggestions for utilizing that chin for useful functions:
1) add a multi-format memory card reader. There are a number of formats that have been in use for years now, so it's not as if such an addition might immdiately be rendered obsolete. And what a practical place for it, right in front of the keyboard, for easy access.
2) how about putting usb and fw and headphone and mic ports in that area? Again, it's the most logical, easiest-to-reach location. The usefulness could be optmized by apple's marketing cables with right-angle connecters on one end (already available from other vendors).
It's easy to imagine (for me, at least :) ) a commercial showing how functional a setup like this would be for a user.

iJawn108
Mar 20, 2007, 10:16 AM
They won't drop the 17 inch, it's the new eMac after all.

Now I wouldn't be in the market for a new iMac... but I might be interested in getting my mom one.:)

topgunn
Mar 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
Take a look at the Sony Vaio VGC-LS25E--it makes the iMac look like a clunker.
Funny, the first time I read that I thought you were being serious! I really need to turn up my sarcasm detector.

Vaio VGC-LS25E really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it.

reubs
Mar 20, 2007, 10:27 AM
I've gotten my wife to agree that our next desktop will be a Mac (and that we'll be a Mac family!), so I can't wait to see what these new ones will look like. I've liked all the designs of the iMac so far, with the G4 being my least favorite though.

Looking fwd to this.

princealfie
Mar 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
I would laugh if the iMac became alum clad like the Mac Pro. Wow, that would heat up really quick :D

rtdunham
Mar 20, 2007, 10:33 AM

this seems pertinent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uo_4kyrkDc&mode=related&search=

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
Vaio VGC-LS25E really rolls off the tongue, doesn't it.

No kidding! Does Sony not have a marketing department?

mccldwll
Mar 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=nickane;3461332]Hear, hear, except that I highly doubt that if the iPhone is rushed to market a month early it'll be to capture that key demo in the smartphone game of 23/24-year-olds-just-about-to-enter-the-workplace. Apologies if you're kidding cos that's when u graduate or whatever, I just didn't get it.

Been there done that long, long time ago. I'm not kidding about iPhone mid May. Apple is as good (or better) at marketing as at design. iPhone components shipping already (by rumor). Big bucks available for grad presents for huge number of college students. iPhone is hottest product soon to be available and graduation would offer huge bubble of demand (and if miss graduation, miss the bubble of $$$ otherwise spent on those gifts). College grads already have their computers, music toys, etc., so iPhone would be like the shuffles and nanos for xmas 2006. Don't even have to have them all available, just have them shipping so can hand grad something).

Whether it will happen or not, I still could see the mini and imac lines merging as docking systems. Mini underpowered and available solo as now. iMac more powerful (2 models) and sold with 20' or 24" display w/ dock base. Maybe 30" eventually. Mini also could dock to display base (can buy a display separately, but can't buy iMac as headless unit). Allows apple to also sell displays to mini owners who want isight, and also tempts them to trade up to new iMacs.

johnee
Mar 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not saying design isn't important, I'm saying there has to be a balance. When the price keeps going up and the specs keep getting downgraded in relation to similar machines just to make it look better something is out of wack. They way things are going, there will come at time when those of us who see the Mac as computer platform and not a quazi religion will reach our breaking point.

When apple switched to the G5, they said it was great. when they switched the G5 to intel, they said the G5 was crap. The point is they are constantly indicating the performance is there when what they are really saying is "hey, isn't this a great design? and oh, by the way, the performance is there, trust us, here is the 'data' on that..."
Their profit margins can be larger if they are justified by an awe inspiring design. They just can't get great margins from performance alone. People go to dell for raw power, and get it cheaply.

Mgkwho
Mar 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
This article is crap. It just reiterates that the next iMac is assumed to be slimmer and sleeker and be optomized for Leopard. The only difference is this article suggests the 17" could be neglected.

People have been speculating on the next iMac for a long time. Read the AppleInsider article, and you'll see that they don't list anything new except the idea of dropping the 17". Which might not even be that new of an idea, it just is to me.

-=|Mgkwho

wavelayer
Mar 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
I think the current Imac Core 2 Duo machines are superb. I owned a g5 version once and they were noisy and hot, but the current line is nearly perfect; quiet, fast, cool. With a reasonable amount of ram, I can have many pro applications running at the same time with no hiccups.

That said, if Apple improves upon the current line that would be great. But the current line still rocks.

Easier portability would be great. A touch screen would only be great for really clean people. The screen could get very nasty very quickly. An ipod is one thing, but a 30 inch screen that you wipe your hands on every day? I'm not so sure about that.

Pressure
Mar 20, 2007, 10:46 AM

Take a look at this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774&q=apple+display) video and then this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac0E6deG4AU) for a brief explanation and introduction to what the technology is capable of doing.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 10:46 AM
Regarding "Dockable Tablet iMac":

WARNING: The premise of this post is that the next iMac will recieve better hardware, which may not be the case!

-- -- -- -- --

I would say that my major complaint about the iMac is that it's barely a step above a MB/MBP. Aside from the price advantage and bigger screen, there's no advantage to it (and I can think of a few disadvantages... no ambient light sensor, no back-lit keyboards, not portable). Point is, if I'm going to get a computer with those hardware specs, I'm going to get a MBP.

Apple needs a desktop between the portables and the Pro and since they've shown no interest in a "mini tower," the iMac has to be it. In my opinion, the current iMac's specs don't cut it. In order to beef up the iMac, however, Apple will have to use better parts: 3.5" HDD (please!), faster processors (C2D extreme family, please!), more RAM, etc., but all this requires better cooling, heavier parts. If this device we made into a convertable tablet, it would be an utter beast to carry around. This is not to mention that it'll have to contain a massive battery pack. All around, it'll be like carrying around a large wooden cutting board.......... but heavier. It will not work.

The only way I forsee this convertable tablet iMac is if the specs are so weak that it is less powerful than a MacBook so that it consumes less juice. I mean, you're going to want to be able to use this thing for a few hours, and you're not going to want to be lugging around a heavy brick of a computer, am I right? Apple will not release a tablet that is any less portable than those found on Star Trek: TNG (and later)... y'know, the half-inch thick rectangle with a screen. For this reason, it will have to be much less powerful and much lighter than a current MB. And if this is the case, it will not be a suitable replacement for the iMac.

I do think that Apple will eventually produce a computer like this, but it will not be an iMac. It, like the iPhone, will be crippled (in the right ways) to allow it to do tasks capable of being performed on a truly portable, lightweight device. However, like I said, it will not be an iMac.

Here's hoping the new iMac will not sacrifice too much power for style.

-Clive

mrgreen4242
Mar 20, 2007, 10:48 AM
When apple switched to the G5, they said it was great. when they switched the G5 to intel, they said the G5 was crap. The point is they are constantly indicating the performance is there when what they are really saying is "hey, isn't this a great design? and oh, by the way, the performance is there, trust us, here is the 'data' on that..."
Their profit margins can be larger if they are justified by an awe inspiring design. They just can't get great margins from performance alone. People go to dell for raw power, and get it cheaply.

Ya, IBM sort of screwed Apple on that one... they didn't really have a whole lot of choice, although I would have liked to see them work with Moto and Freescale to build a smaller die G4 capable of quad CPUs, etc. rather than go to all G5s.

They were up against a wall, and the G5 was pretty crappy, all said and done. The G4 was a good chip, imo, but the only thing the G5 had going for it was it's massively fast FSB (compared to the systems out at the time). The CoreDuo chips are pretty fantastic, though. Fast, low power and heat, relatively cheap. Lot of potential there.

For the record, I ditched my G5 and got a G4 because it was loud and not all that fast, comparatively.

QCassidy352
Mar 20, 2007, 10:51 AM

To a degree. But what exactly would be the change in function if an imac were 2 inches thick as opposed to 1.5?

Form is important, but so is price, performance, upgradability, durability, and lots of other things. There needs to be a balance. (and just to be clear, i think the current imacs strike that balance pretty well)

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 10:52 AM
When apple switched to the G5, they said it was great. when they switched the G5 to intel, they said the G5 was crap.

Just to clarify, the G5 wasn't crap, it just wasn't going anywhere. Apple had to struggle to come out with a cost-effective Mac Pro that would trump the Quad G5... and in many ways, their current top-of-the-line Mac Pro still doesn't. CS3 will change that statistic, however.

-Clive

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
When apple switched to the G5, they said it was great. when they switched the G5 to intel, they said the G5 was crap.

Which only shows that Apple DOES have a marketing department...:p

opus.az
Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Having just purchased an iMac I'm a bit disappointed but I knew something like this could happen and decided not to wait.

Style is one thing, but if the display is dramatically improved or there's a big speed boost I might start grumbling about Apple's secrecy. :apple:

Uragon
Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Bring back the lamp!

I second that......BRING BACK THE LAMP....:apple:

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately Santa Rosa is Intel's new mobile platform, not a Core 2 Quad platform (unless Intel start making quad core notebook processors, which I suppose is ultimately inevitable but probably not this year). I'd PREFER to see a real desktop platform put into the iMac with FSB1066 or the new FSB1333, DDR2-800 (or higher), etc. Santa Rosa is, essentially, just bringing last year's desktop platform into the mobile space while desktop platforms are starting to move ahead.

:confused: Since when has there been such a long history of dual core processors in desktops? I thought that was the whole story- new architecture. :(

2ndPath
Mar 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
I would say that my major complaint about the iMac is that it's barely a step above a MB/MBP. Aside from the price advantage and bigger screen, there's no advantage to it (and I can think of a few disadvantages... no ambient light sensor, no back-lit keyboards, not portable). Point is, if I'm going to get a computer with those hardware specs, I'm going to get a MBP.

I think when Apple originally introduced the iMac it was supposed to be a consumer oriented machine, which does not have the Power of a Powermac or a Powerbook (Powerbooks had G4s long before the iMacs). This only changed when Apple couldn't fit the G5 in their Powerbooks but managed to include them in the iMacs.

Apple needs a desktop between the portables and the Pro and since they've shown no interest in a "mini tower," the iMac has to be it. In my opinion, the current iMac's specs don't cut it. In order to beef up the iMac, however, Apple will have to use better parts: 3.5" HDD (please!), faster processors (C2D extreme family, please!), more RAM, etc., but all this requires better cooling, heavier parts.

The iMacs already use 3.5" HDs. The "extreme" CPUs by Intel are usually much more expensive than the average CPUs. But using desktop versions of the CPUs could already be a step ahead.

johnee
Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Ya, IBM sort of screwed Apple on that one... they didn't really have a whole lot of choice, although I would have liked to see them work with Moto and Freescale to build a smaller die G4 capable of quad CPUs, etc. rather than go to all G5s.

They were up against a wall, and the G5 was pretty crappy, all said and done. The G4 was a good chip, imo, but the only thing the G5 had going for it was it's massively fast FSB (compared to the systems out at the time). The CoreDuo chips are pretty fantastic, though. Fast, low power and heat, relatively cheap. Lot of potential there.

For the record, I ditched my G5 and got a G4 because it was loud and not all that fast, comparatively.

hahaha, i walked right into that. I was on the G5 dev team from the very beginning of the project. I could write a tell all book on that whole project, but I can't. let's just say many companies are living quarter to quarter these days, and if something isn't working out, the order of progression goes like a dilbert cartoon : restrict money -> restrict commitments -> reduce team size -> cripple your product -> wait for it to be replaced by something/someone that can do it better -> cancel

drake
Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Gimme a iMac with a decent video card and I might actually buy one.
:p

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 20, 2007, 11:00 AM
Take a look at this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774&q=apple+display) video and then this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac0E6deG4AU) for a brief explanation and introduction to what the technology is capable of doing.

What on earth would I ever want to use something like that. It's WOW! factor is certainly undermined by the WTFIF? factor. How many improvements would there need to be made to actually make it do something other than just for playing in the virtual sand pit!!!!

johnee
Mar 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
Just to clarify, the G5 wasn't crap, it just wasn't going anywhere. Apple had to struggle to come out with a cost-effective Mac Pro that would trump the Quad G5... and in many ways, their current top-of-the-line Mac Pro still doesn't. CS3 will change that statistic, however.

-Clive

Thank you for defending the G5. Honestly, the G5 was a the prodigy of a supercomputer processor. trying to fit that thing into a consumer box was difficult. It also suffered from a small cache, hi leakage, and other things I really can't say. all in all, it was a decent processor, but you are right, there was no low power solution, and I think it was just a stop-gap measure until mac os was properly ported for x86 architecture.

a456
Mar 20, 2007, 11:04 AM

Surely, the MacBook and the iMac are consumer laptop and desktop and the MBP and Mac Pro are the pro laptop and desktop. It's all in the name (or not).

gauriemma
Mar 20, 2007, 11:05 AM

Indeed. That was by far my favorite of the three iMac designs. Probably because it looked the least like a computer, and the most like something...well, beautiful.

My original 15" 800 mhz dome iMac still has a proud place of honor in the kitchen as our household e-mail/internet station.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hopefully this means the end of the white case. I'd love to see an aluminum case. But even more I'd love to see a new non-white keyboard that didn't show dirt after a week.

Zukum
Mar 20, 2007, 11:07 AM

If no one posted their opinions, this comment board wouldn't exist.

Diatribe
Mar 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
New line-up with price drops:

20"
24"
30"

:rolleyes:

xyian
Mar 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ya know, even though I LOVE my iMac's design, I always look forward
to the new Apple designs. Can't wait!

iperson
Mar 20, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think we're going to see an iMac with better possibilities for use as a home entertainment system, with better support for external TV's , pro-ish audio and video, etc. It will be something that interests basic home users that want to broaden their horizens and pro-sumers alike. I'm waiting to hear the verdict on the itv and also the new mini's (whenever that is) as well. I'm also thinking they are going to make it even easier to use an ipod and an iphone with it. Form will be related to function, and we're going to see increased function.

I'm guessing, quad processers, flash memory, big screens (bigger than 24), improved sound outs, and other stuff. I'm thinking some kind of totally new tech completely.

I think that in order to make it chinless and thinner, they'll have to put stuff in the base somehow. Would that work? It would be a little like the lamp design...maybe. Nah. Couldn't hang that on the wall unless the base/ somputer was detachable from the monitor somehow..It would be like a super-mini with a monitor.

Apple's got something up their sleeve that will shock us, I bet. They want people to buy them like ipods and iphones and they are going to have something we want. It's going to be so weird that many people will hold off on buying it for fear that it will be like the ist gen g5 imacs, and they will wait for revisions.

There's a lot of good ideas going here. I liked the one about the mini touch screen window for the dock and dashboard apps and stuff like that, but I don't see touch screen because it would make the screens gungy, no matter how clean you are.

I wonder if there will be good deals on the current line-up when the new models come out? If the new ones look like too much clunky poo then i'm sure a 24 would do me fine really.

topgunn
Mar 20, 2007, 11:27 AM
OK, here is a question for all of you would be designers. Would you rather have the trademark "chin" or a power brick? Personally, I would rather have the brick.

thecreativ1
Mar 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
OK, here is a question for all of you would be designers. Would you rather have the trademark "chin" or a power brick? Personally, I would rather have the brick.

Maybe the new iMac's would look like this, with a power brick? No chin, and slimmer?

http://www.antonycasale.com/images/imac.jpg

iBunny
Mar 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
Gimme a iMac with a decent video card and I might actually buy one.
:p

I hear that.... Current iMacs utilize pretty much new technology - Except Videocards.... the x1600 totally is a mid range card from back what, 2 years ago, and the 7300 in the 24' is the mid range card from Nvidia's 2 generations ago.

The New NVidia Moble 8xxx series is comming out, along with ATI's mobile 2k series. If the iMac has to use a mobile GPU, let it be something brand new and powerful.

Finally, I am hoping for a really decent amount of video memory, as well as the option to utilize a second montior if we want. Something along the lines of 512MB Video Ram BTO, with a Full DVI port so I can add another 23 inch ACD or something.

iBunny
Mar 20, 2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe the new iMac's would look like this, with a power brick? No chin, and slimmer?

I like those, That would be a good deal. The only 1 suggestion I would add would be 3 USB ports, and 1 Firewire 400 port on the front of the bottom base.

Diatribe
Mar 20, 2007, 11:51 AM

Doesn't look bad but I would hardly call that striking new industrial design.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 11:53 AM

Please, Trogdor, no.

I'm sick of the stale boring white rectangle with the stale boring aluminum stand. New ideas, please!

-Clive

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 11:54 AM
I like those, That would be a good deal. The only 1 suggestion I would add would be 3 USB ports, and 1 Firewire 400 port on the front of the bottom base.

So an iMac with a wired keyboard, printer, and external hard drive has whiskers? No thank you.

-Clive

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hey! wait a minute... those look just like apple displays!

I'm just kidding...

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 12:06 PM

Apple does not use powerbricks on consumer products. Expect a Built-in 48-watt universal power supply.

Snowy_River
Mar 20, 2007, 12:08 PM

The correct word for a completely new design of a given product is "generation." The correct word for gradual or incremental updates within a generation is "revision." However, the first of a generation is considered the first revision of that generation.

Well, actually, the post on MR front page talks about "major iMac design revision", which does not discuss generations of the product. Further, the word revision means to have "reconsidered and made changes to", so the first model is not the first revision. There have been three (significantly) different iMac designs: the original, the first revision, and the second revision. So, yes, the front page article should say '3rd', not '4th'.

Zwhaler
Mar 20, 2007, 12:09 PM

:eek: I love it!

CmdrLaForge
Mar 20, 2007, 12:13 PM

Exactly - you hit the nail on the head. I cannot imagine why I could ever want a touchscreen on a computer - neither desktop nor notebook

BenRoethig
Mar 20, 2007, 12:14 PM

We don't have that option unless we want to change operating systems.

-Clive

The G5 was an excellent design, but the small size of the Mac platform really didn't give programmers enough incentive to optimize their code for it or IBM much incentive to develop it further.

thecreativ1
Mar 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
Apple does not use powerbricks on consumer products.

The Mac Mini and Cinema Displays have external power bricks.

Cedd
Mar 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
It may just be the fact that the computer barely hit the floor (hmm, is that like being kind of pregnant) and fell in super slow motion in a good computer bag is what to this day drives me crazy. I should mention that I was able to remold the corner back in shape with my fingers (which is scary too)..

What, were you having a low gravity day in your area that day? ;)

mashinhead
Mar 20, 2007, 12:33 PM
Please, Trogdor, no.

I'm sick of the stale boring white rectangle with the stale boring aluminum stand. New ideas, please!

-Clive

yeah, i want a boring black one instead. NON glossy.

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 12:36 PM
The Mac Mini and Cinema Displays have external power bricks.

ACD are considered Pro and the Mac Mini hasn't been redesigned in years. But look at it's cousin the Apple TV, it uses one and is even smaller than the mini.

whatever
Mar 20, 2007, 12:38 PM
What, were you having a low gravity day in your area that day? ;)

LOL, yes. That day just keeps replaying in my head. I was getting out of the car and had the computer bag on my shoulder and it just sort of slid off of my shoulder, but I managed to grab the strap just as the corner of the bag touched the floor.

Oh the memories!

cbud
Mar 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
yeah, i want a boring black one instead. NON glossy.

I think we will get a black one, but it will be glossy.

This summer is going to be great. New OS, new iMacs, 720p content at iTMS, iPhone...I'm gonna need a second job!

job
Mar 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Guys,

"Striking new industrial design" ! = evolution of current design.

All this talk about thinner, chin-less iMacs doesn't make sense. That's not a new design; if anything, that's the way the current iMacs should have been released. It's just a revision of the current one. I get the feeling we're going to see an equally drastic shift from the current Macs to the new ones like we saw during the G3 to G4 transition.

Come on guys, this is Apple. For designs, you've got to think outside of the box.

Personally, I don't care what it looks like, as long as it provides some more expansion. I'd prefer a second hard drive bay, more RAM slots, and a removable GPU. But I don't think that's even in the realm of possibility, so I guess I'm stuck pricing Mac Pros that have more power than I'll ever need.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
Personally, I don't care what it looks like, as long as it provides some more expansion. I'd prefer a second hard drive bay, more RAM slots, and a removable GPU. But I don't think that's even in the realm of possibility, so I guess I'm stuck pricing Mac Pros that have more power than I'll ever need.

That's the sad truth if I ever heard it.

-Clive

AidenShaw
Mar 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
Guys,

...provides some more expansion. I'd prefer a second hard drive bay, more RAM slots, and a removable GPU.

Maybe it will be a mini-tower!

(Seriously, an all-in-one mini-tower with the screen mounted to the system box - so that the screen hides most of the box.)

thecreativ1
Mar 20, 2007, 01:01 PM
ACD are considered Pro and the Mac Mini hasn't been redesigned in years. But look at it's cousin the Apple TV, it uses one and is even smaller than the mini.

What makes the ACD pro? Both apple.com and the retail stores show the mini hooked up to a 20".

I think the Mini still has a bigger external PS because it uses more power than an Apple TV would? If apple could make every power supply internal, I'm all for it!

oldwatery
Mar 20, 2007, 01:03 PM

Why:confused:

MrCrowbar
Mar 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
Guys,

All this talk about thinner, chin-less iMacs doesn't make sense. That's not a new design; if anything, that's the way the current iMacs should have been released. It's just a revision of the current one. I get the feeling we're going to see an equally drastic shift from the current Macs to the new ones like we saw during the G3 to G4 transition.

Well the iMac has always been about "Where did the computer go?" from day one. The lampshade G4 iMac sure was wicked original, and I'd be more than happy to have a revival of that idea. Problem is, you can't really fit much hardware into the base and Apple has gone away from all round shapes to square shapes with rounded edges one one axis and sharp edges on the othe axis. This design is already there on pretty much all Apple products except maybe the power bricks, mice and keyboard and servers.

I can imagine something similar to the current iMac design with a longer chin and no base as such, the whole thing would hold itself and stand on a slight angle. think of the original iMac (that also had no stand), but with a TFT display. the back would go straight down, slightly cylindrical in shape and the front would be on a light angle. I'll try to photoshop somthing up.

BenRoethig
Mar 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
What makes the ACD pro? Both apple.com and the retail stores show the mini hooked up to a 20".

I think the Mini still has a bigger external PS because it uses more power than an Apple TV would? If apple could make every power supply internal, I'm all for it!

The Mini is hooked up to a cinema display because Apple doesn't make consumer displays anymore. I don't think too many of the Mini owners can afford to spend $700 on a monitor.

thecreativ1
Mar 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
That's the sad truth if I ever heard it.

-Clive

Ditto. I think 2 HD bays is minimum. I mean, what do most people do now if their computer has only 1 drive bay, and want to switch that drive a few months or a year down the road? How can they transfer all the old drive's info to the new one, without buying an enclosure of some sort?

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
:eek: I love it! (Post 191).

Me too, except for that 3 1/2" floppy slot on the side... He He He...:rolleyes:

oldwatery
Mar 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
Exactly - you hit the nail on the head. I cannot imagine why I could ever want a touchscreen on a computer - neither desktop nor notebook

Have you ever used one?
You might be suprised by how fast and intuitive they are.
I'm not saying that they are right for everyone.....but some people prefer keyboard shortcuts etc to mousing around......others prefer a track ball.
It is possible to have a computer that caters to both camps.

I do agree that this technology should not add unneccesary cost or complication to the system...but it would be an interesting move.
As for the dirty finger brigade out there...your habits should not impact the rest of us who like to clean up after our KFC..what up? you got gravy on yer keyboard:p

Evangelion
Mar 20, 2007, 01:24 PM

Well, the problem with your argument is that you are looking at how things are right now. We had touchscreen in cell-phones before iPhone. They were pretty ho-hum. And still iPhone was something really, really different. And really, really great.

Yes, we have computers right now that have touchscreens. And they are pretty ho-hum. What makes you think that IF Apple releases an iMac with touchscreen it will be as boring as current touchscreen-machines are? Was the iPhone as ho-hum as the multitude of touchscreen-phones the preceded it?

And what to do with the touchscreen? Well, maybe Apple is moving in to a whole new UI-paradigm? Maybe they feel that the multitouch-tech in the iPhone could be used in general purpose computers as well? From the top of my head, that touchscreen would be very useful in apps like GarageBand, Logic, Reason, iPhoto, Aperture, Cubase and so forth.

Just because touchscreens are a niche right now, does not mean that it NEEDS to be niche, espesially on Macs.

OwlsAndApples
Mar 20, 2007, 01:24 PM
Could this solve the dirty-fingers-on-screen problem? :rolleyes:

One large sheet of aluminium which folds under itself at the bottom. The profile looks like the letter 'L' on the mac keyboard.

Sorry about the handwriting :o

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3186/imac2dq5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Zwhaler
Mar 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
(Post 191).

Me too, except for that 3 1/2" floppy slot on the side... He He He...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I noticed that too after posting. Either its a floppy drive or just looks small in comparison to the massive 30" screen.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 01:35 PM

(Seriously, an all-in-one mini-tower with the screen mounted to the system box - so that the screen hides most of the box.)

As much as I want a Mini-Tower, somehow I see a thicker iMac as a step backwards. A mini-tower will have to be it's own entity.

Before Apple became as popular as it is, its userbase were divided into three groups: students, professional, and prosumers. No one bought a Mac unless they knew what they were doing with it. Now Apple has completely forsaken the Prosumer market, forcing them to buy more or less hardware than needed. This is where I am, and it ticks me off.

-Clive

pilotError
I can imagine something similar to the current iMac design with a longer chin and no base as such, the whole thing would hold itself and stand on a slight angle. think of the original iMac (that also had no stand), but with a TFT display. the back would go straight down, slightly cylindrical in shape and the front would be on a light angle. I'll try to photoshop somthing up.

I think the new iMac is going to be Triangle Shaped :D

The iMac Pyramid! They'll call it the Oasis. It'll come in brown and feature marketing along the lines of the ancient Egyptian obsession with cats.

Oh and it'll wirelessly Zap songs to the pathetic Zune so Microsoft doesn't sue them for monopolistic practices! LOL

Have you ever used one?
You might be suprised by how fast and intuitive they are.

Yep, they aren't faster and the applications need to be designed around big fat fingers! The gestures they showed off on the iPhone are kinda nice, but if you notice, the keypad for data entry took the whole screen. Touch isn't especially accurate, which is partly why in wasn't more popular. Ever try holding your arm up and extended for more than 5 minutes at a time? Try it for a few days and you'll look like Popeye!

The purpose built 5 and 6 foot displays you see on youtube are pretty cool, but they are just that "purpose built".

We have handhelds that are touch sensitive, but most folks use a special pen or stylus (which big Steve admitted to hating during the keynote). The reason they use them is because their fingers hurt after a while. There's something that gives the users some comfort in hearing that click of the pen hitting the surface. When people are agitated or excited, you hear that click get louder and louder. I can't believe the pen doesn't go through the surface some times!

I just don't see it being useful in anything outside a tablet form for a consumer device.

mccldwll
Nice design concept but, IMO, way too big a visual footprint with chin extending all the way to desk, especially for 20" and 24" widescreen formats.

Aiden, I must say you are strong in that idea...congrats..! :rolleyes:

But it's not gonna happen, sorry...Apple makes AIOs for people...and absolutely great ones for that matter, priceless in comparison with any other PC...:rolleyes:

mrthieme
Mar 20, 2007, 01:48 PM
Well, the problem with your argument is that you are looking at how things are right now. We had touchscreen in cell-phones before iPhone. They were pretty ho-hum. And still iPhone was something really, really different. And really, really great.

Yes, we have computers right now that have touchscreens. And they are pretty ho-hum. What makes you think that IF Apple releases an iMac with touchscreen it will be as boring as current touchscreen-machines are? Was the iPhone as ho-hum as the multitude of touchscreen-phones the preceded it?

And what to do with the touchscreen? Well, maybe Apple is moving in to a whole new UI-paradigm? Maybe they feel that the multitouch-tech in the iPhone could be used in general purpose computers as well? From the top of my head, that touchscreen would be very useful in apps like GarageBand, Logic, Reason, iPhoto, Aperture, Cubase and so forth.

Just because touchscreens are a niche right now, does not mean that it NEEDS to be niche, espesially on Macs.
You said it all. A touchscreen Mac should not be expected to look and feel and act like a touch Windows machine.
One more benefit would be the possibility for a infinitely adjustable and customizable keyboard for each app. If doing work in Photoshop, you could have macros assigned, labeled, and grouped according to the way you want to use them, and a completely different keyboard layout for another task. I know that typing on a screen would not be as easy as a physical keyboard, so if you are writing a novel then by all means use one, I doubt they would stop making keyboards.
If any of this does come true, I'm sure it would be met with sceptics, crying that the earth should remain flat, but it could just be a true revolution for computers, not a speed bump with a black paint job and a facelift.

Zwhaler
Mar 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
You said it all. A touchscreen Mac should not be expected to look and feel and act like a touch Windows machine.
One more benefit would be the possibility for a infinitely adjustable and customizable keyboard for each app. If doing work in Photoshop, you could have macros assigned, labeled, and grouped according to the way you want to use them, and a completely different keyboard layout for another task. I know that typing on a screen would not be as easy as a physical keyboard, so if you are writing a novel then by all means use one, I doubt they would stop making keyboards.
If any of this does come true, I'm sure it would be met with sceptics, crying that the earth should remain flat, but it could just be a true revolution for computers, not a speed bump with a black paint job and a facelift.

That is a wonderful keyboard idea! I could really use that in a Garageband situation...

Jiebke
Mar 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see to make the iMac to be more multimedia centered. A build-in television tuner and a wide screen would be great.

lazyrighteye
Mar 20, 2007, 02:04 PM

Pfft. Means nothing.

JGowan
Mar 20, 2007, 02:04 PM
Possibly -- or perhaps it shares the same fate as the 15" Titanium PowerBook that was the last join it's updated brethren, the 17" and the 12". People are generally cheap and want "the experience" as cheaply as possibly. Apple could get around that by forcing those interested enough in the product to buy the 20 or 24 inch models before offering the 17".

It's likely for these reasons that the firm's entry-level 17-inch iMac model will reportedly become the subject of considerable neglect. People familiar with the matter are confident that the forthcoming iMac redesign will grace only the 20- and 24-inch models, which are outfitted with widescreen displays comparable to smaller living room television sets. The 17-inch iMac, those people say, will enter a state of limbo that could ultimately phase it out of the lineup entirely, condemning it to the same fate as the 12-inch PowerBook.

i can see apple dropping the 17" like they did the 15" long ago. 20" and 24" imac prices might drop enough to warrant the discontinuation of the 17" model. hopefully, the new designs will really make people wonder, "where did the computer go?"

AidenShaw
Mar 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
But it's not gonna happen, sorry...Apple makes AIOs for people......

The mini-tower would have a mount that integrated power and signal for the screen.

The screen could detach for shipping (or repair), and then click - it's back.

Apple could even offer upgrades (get a larger screen, or faster system), but probably wouldn't.

And what about BTO options, so that the screen size was just a check mark on a menu - so you could get a fast system with a small screen, or a big screen on an otherwise modest system.

You're right though - it makes too much sense, Apple wouldn't do it.

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
I'd like to see to make the iMac to be more multimedia centered. A build-in television tuner and a wide screen would be great.

That's an interesting thought. Apple my try to reclaim the iMac as the center of the digital hub. The TV tuner is a fine idea but then we encounter the problem of people crowding around the computer to watch TV or a movie. That seems like an unpopular idea. Their other option is to make the iMac more of a ":apple:TV Pro." It would have to have:

1) Throughput to a TV including HDMI or something of the sort (to emphasize the push for HD).
2) TV-Mode FrontRow (obviously)
3) TV-Mode Live Browsing of the iTS
4) TV-Mode easy DVR capabilities

Seeing as how this device would immediately suffocate :apple:TV itself, I highly doubt this is the route Apple would take, but I'd surely love a computer that could output to a TV with a decent resolution. Yum!

-Clive

Telp
Mar 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
This doesn't effect me in any way other than the fact that i love Apple and their innovation in style and amazing software/hardware ! I can't wait to see what they have in store for the new iMacs. :D :D :D

AidenShaw
Mar 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
1) Throughput to a TV including HDMI or something of the sort (to emphasize the push for HD).

Seeing as how this device would immediately suffocate appleTV itself

Doesn't iTV already provide all of that - putting a tuner in the iMac just makes it a better server for iTV.

peharri
Mar 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
I like the idea of a removable, portable, touchscreen... but not a 24" one!

I'd rather there was an iPhone Lite (let's call it..., I don't know, an iPod?) which interfaces well to the iMac. That's the kind of size I see touchscreens working well, slightly bigger than that perhaps, but not 24".

I would like the screen on the iMac to be completely optional, and like others have said here, I'd like more expansion capabilities. Actually, what I'd like is for the Mac mini to be available in a form approaching the power of the higher end of the iMacs.

EagerDragon
Mar 20, 2007, 02:47 PM
I still like the sun flower design (iMac G4) better because I could move it in any direction. Maybe it will lose the big chin and be easier to position. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hope better graphics too.

EagerDragon
Mar 20, 2007, 02:54 PM

C2Q
Santa Rosa
10.5 (.0)
Media Center features

Rocketman

4 Gig memory, better graphics and user servisable?

steve_hill4
Mar 20, 2007, 02:55 PM

All I can think of from that description is:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/08/22/sony_ls1_2.jpg

which to me is okay for a PC, but Fugly™ for a Mac.

Although watch the launch of the G4 and Jobs says he considered what eventually ended up as the G5, but cast it aside because the optical drive works better horizontal. So lets make the screen flat and vertical and the computer horizontal. To me, perhaps the G5/Intel Core iMac, less of a chin but transform the stand into the optical drive. Might even be nice to have a card reader and a usb port there, but hang on, that sounds hideous too. I like the current design and will leave any design changes to Apple, they'll do a better job than me.

DrFrankTM
Mar 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
The Mini is hooked up to a cinema display because Apple doesn't make consumer displays anymore. I don't think too many of the Mini owners can afford to spend $700 on a monitor.

Why? I have a Dell 2407 attached to my Mini and that's probably the way every Mini should be. A 24-inch screen is even cheaper now than it was when I bought mine, so I don't see anything wrong with that combination.

What do people use their computers for? Text editing, chat, email, web surfing... Those are all things that involve a lot of text. With a higher-res screen, you can show more text at the same time which increases your productivity (and enjoyment) tremendously. I don't do anything 3D on my Mini, so the machine's fine for me even though I run a significant number of apps at the same time. It's fast enough to show full HD, so I'm not sure why I should attach it to a ****** little screen.

Yes, eventually, I'll "graduate" to a Mac Pro, but for now, the Mini is great for me as it is for many users. Just because we're not movie-makers doesn't mean we have no use for "pro" monitors though. 1920x1200 is REALLY nice to have independently of what you choose to do with it.

steve_hill4
Mar 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
Could this solve the dirty-fingers-on-screen problem? :rolleyes:

One large sheet of aluminium which folds under itself at the bottom. The profile looks like the letter 'L' on the mac keyboard.

Sorry about the handwriting :o

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3186/imac2dq5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nice. Kind of similar to:
http://tam.axon.net/images/pics/20thflame.jpg

I would generally prefer a proper touchscreen though. Smearing of fingerprints on the screen only really occur if you go glossy, use something closer to the current iMac display and Matte MBP and you're there. I just tapped away on my MBP screen and it felt uber-nice, but a little too flexible and thin to really feel comfortable for long spells of usage.

agenda893
Mar 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
this is what I think it will look like:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/428415015_b5de62f9f1_o.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=428415015&size=o

kromekat
Mar 20, 2007, 03:04 PM
http://www.kromekat.nildram.co.uk/imac.html

If it looks like this, I'll be wanting royalties Steve! ;)

Adam

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 03:06 PM
Doesn't iTV already provide all of that - putting a tuner in the iMac just makes it a better server for iTV.

:apple:TV's idea of throughput is from Mac via wireless, out through HDMI. There's no "signal in" anywhere else.

-Clive

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.kromekat.nildram.co.uk/imac.html

If it looks like this, I'll be wanting royalties Steve! ;)

Adam

Creative.

I was thinking, too, that a clear acryllic base would be a nice touch. You know what they say about great minds...

...yeah, they work at Apple.

-Clive

Clive At Five
Mar 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
this is what I think it will look like:

Modified iPhone?

With a traditional aluminum stand?

I like the rounded edges of the silvery screen, but you're merging two different phases of Apple design. The crappy leg has to go!

-Clive

OwlsAndApples
Mar 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
*friendly acknowledgment of dodgy sketch*

I just tapped away on my MBP screen and it felt uber-nice, but a little too flexible and thin to really feel comfortable for long spells of usage.

Really? Anyone who touches my IMac screen gets a quick slap of the wrist :p

Btw I think i'll nick 'uber-nice'...sounds like a german washing up powder...:)

OdduWon
Mar 20, 2007, 03:20 PM
I think apple will take the iMac in the direction the shuffle went. It will become a product that breaks the conception of where it is to be used/placed. the new imac will become an imac that will mount on anything and be placed in places you wouldn't normally find a computer. Also I believe we are sure to see an update in the remote controller for front row. perhaps the new ipods will have this function built in? Most likely not a multi touch, but may have some mighty mouse like options, The mighty mouse.... Apple, get rid of the scroll ball. it sticks all time. it should be replaced with a touch nub, like a spherical touch pad ;)

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2007, 03:21 PM
Nice. Kind of similar to:
http://tam.axon.net/images/pics/20thflame.jpg

I would generally prefer a proper touchscreen though. Smearing of fingerprints on the screen only really occur if you go glossy, use something closer to the current iMac display and Matte MBP and you're there. I just tapped away on my MBP screen and it felt uber-nice, but a little too flexible and thin to really feel comfortable for long spells of usage.

I actually have a 20th Century Mac. Pretty cool. Good for playing really old school games. My favorite game of all time was probably "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade". Horrible graphics, low replay value, but that's kinda what made it endearing. The thing w/ it is it needs the display to be in 16 (yes, sixteen!) colors to work and most displays now only go down to 256 or thousands of colors.

mrgreen4242
Mar 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
I hope they do go to an external PSU (I've been baffled why they haven't yet - seems like an easy way to save space in an already tight area, and to remove some heat from said enclosure).

I'm betting the new iMac looks a lot like the ACD, but with the white iMac/iPod style, and the whole system moves up/down, swivels left/right, and rotates 360 degrees. MXM GPUs with a couple options for either system. A new and improved service hatch on the back to get to the MXM card, RAM, and HDD.

I hope they get smart and switch to consumer displays (TN panels) in the iMac and release a midrange headless Mac (with, more or less, the new iMac guts) for the "semi-pro" market - you buy the box and attach your own expensive LCD to it. Pass the savings on to us in the form of a 19" (same res as the old 17") at $899, 22" (same res as the 20") at $1099.

Keep the 24", maybe introduce a 30" if you insist upon having a top end machine, but would be better to just offer a fully configurable headless unit and sell them an ACD with it, imo.

GodBless
Mar 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
Count me in as another one hoping to see touch technology in the iMac, as improbable as it may seem. Maybe even just one top of the line " 30th Anniversary" iMac, to show what they can do, get a bunch of press, and to give us something to drool over while prices come down. Unfortunately if I had to guess I'd say the next time we see Multitouch it will be either an iPod or a small tablet, as the costs for a small screen are more tolerable. Just imagine the msrp of a 30 inch HD touch screen iMac, it could only be a special edition product!No--touch screens are not as expensive as they have been in the past. It certainly is possible for Apple to make a touch screen computer--look here HP already did it and is still doing it (http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700866).

As far as the cosmetics of the iMac are concerned, I think it's the best looking computer on the market already, bar none. I would much rather see them working on improving the way we interact with and use our computers over just making them thinner, shinier, or in a rainbow of colors.I fully agree. :)

Does anyone think touch capabilities could be a "top secret" feature in Leapard? Could they hold back something this important from developers?Here's a link to thread that I started that deals a little with those questions. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=289267) A resoultion independant user interface will easily allow for a touch screen computer. :)

belovedmonster
Mar 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
I dunno if anyone has said this already (I havent read all the other posts)...

But has anyone thought that maybe the 17 inch will stay around as an eMac, perhaps still being available to general buyers (not just education). That way they aren't losing the 17 inch option entirely but its not holding back a new version of the iMac either.

GodBless
Mar 20, 2007, 03:58 PM

Just because touchscreens are a niche right now, does not mean that it NEEDS to be niche, espesially on Macs.My views exactly! Great post! :)

GodBless
Mar 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
That is a wonderful keyboard idea! I could really use that in a Garageband situation...This is a good keyboard idea too. (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/)

DrGonzo2121
Mar 20, 2007, 04:17 PM
hoping for some sort of toutchscreen integration

johnee
Mar 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
You're all wrong. You need to think... more futuristic, like this:

bartelby
Mar 20, 2007, 04:19 PM
You're all wrong. You need to think... more futuristic, like this:

Nice!:D :D :D

bonafide
Mar 20, 2007, 04:42 PM
If they release the new iMac at the same time as they release Leopard I'll become a Mac user for sure.

JohnnyQuest
Mar 20, 2007, 04:42 PM
Oh! This makes me happy. I LOVE the iMacs right now. The new ones will obviously look even better. I probably won't buy one (since I bought a MacBook last week), but I'm still happy that they are getting an update. I'm thinking VERY large screens (like the whole front would be a screen) very thin, built in camera, MAYBE leopard, white and black, and very soon to come out! Yay :apple: !

JohnnyQuest
Mar 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=DrGonzo2121;3463028] I think they'll use fiber optics or an ambilight-like design which would allow users to create their own colors and change them at will. [QUOTE]

smart...i like it!