Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
My scanner is old, and everytime I try downloading the software, it opens up in 9.2.2
So, I guess it isn't compatible with OS X??
I have emailed the ScanAce company to see if they have a newer download -- couldn't find anything on their website. They have a download but it only says it's for Macs not what type of mac systems.
If not, does that mean I have to buy a new scanner?
Also, I have shut down 9.2.2 but like with the scanner, why does it accept it? It automatically opens up even tho I have shut it down? Shouldn't it NOT accept it?
Thanks,
Cindy

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
You could try an application called VueScan, its on versiontracker, I don't know if it supports your scanner, but there's a link to the website where there's a list. VueScan is a sort of universal scanner driver for OSX, works with lots of machines.

Anytime you launch a utility that is OS9, classic will launch, if you shut it down, or it times out, it'll re-launch. Is that what you meant?

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Scanners and Printers,

Have an old Epson SCSI scanner and a Epson printer, They are not compatible with. Well they were getting old, had a new job came which I could afford to spend on some new equipment. But it does suck that some of the older hardware isnt compatible.... :(

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
thanks I'll check that site out. Since the scanner still works great.

Anytime you launch a utility that is OS9, classic will launch, if you shut it down, or it times out, it'll re-launch. Is that what you meant?

I think that's what Imeant. I was hoping that when I had shut it down, it won't launch at all unless I "re-awaken" it.
So, if the computer is reading a program that isn't supported by OS X, it will just automatically open up in 9?
What if 9 wasn't even on my computer? Would it just say, it's not supported?
Cindy

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
If you don't have a valid system 9 System folder in the root level (first level) of your main drive, classic won't run, because classic IS OS9 run in emulation within OSX. You have to have the 9 System Folder.

Yes, if you open an app that is OS9 classic will launch, it will automatically shut down if unused for a period of time, and will relaunch, but if you launch another app with classic open, it simply opens into the classic environment.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you go to System Preferences -> Classic, you can choose "Warn before starting Classic", which will tell you when 9's about to start and give you the option of stopping it. However you won't be able to run the program you tried to open without starting it.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Scanner and 9

Originally posted by Nermal
If you go to System Preferences -> Classic, you can choose "Warn before starting Classic", which will tell you when 9's about to start and give you the option of stopping it. However you won't be able to run the program you tried to open without starting it.

Yeah, I figured that out. No big deal I suppose. My scanner works just fine but it has to be run on 9 -- won't run in OS X and I don't think there is any updated software for it. That's ok tho. As long as it works.

There's no harm in having to run both right? I'll have to reply to someone who told me how to get a game I got running correctly that would only run on 9. and with that one, Ihave to NOT have OS X running at all or it won't load up properly.
Kind of a pain but, oh well. At least it works.
Cindy

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Re: Scanner and 9

There's no harm in having to run both right? [/B]

Nope, no problem at all. It is a pain that some things aren't yet supported in OS X, but.... Glad to hear that things are working for you. It took me about a month until I got used to the differences in OS X. It is a lot better but it is also a lot different.

Let us know if you need any more help, that's what this forum is for!

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i just had to replace my old scsi scanner because of that very thing. but i got a new epson perfection 3200 photo, and it's really fantastic. so a bonus in one sense.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I have a problem with throwing things out that aren't exactly broke. A bad habit.
It seems like that is the way things are going tho these days.
An old cell phone of mine that just quit. They told me to just throw it away and they'll send me a new one.
But, it sits in my desk drawer -- completely useless.
I have an older printer that I bought off of ebay to go with my (now dead) iMac 8.5 computer but now that I have this new nifty eMac -- and I got a new Epson printer to go with it..... well, the old printer sits there.
I might just throw that one on ebay -- someone might be able to use it.
Cindy

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Hi Cindy :) me again...

Vuescan does not support your scanner, and ScanAce does not provide OS X support-- so you're stuck in Classic for this one. Any program that you use in Classic will use the OS 9 file structure, so saving files will put them in different locations than OS X normally does-- you'll want to make sure you're saving scans to /users/yourusername/documents/

I would probably avoid using the scanner while booted to OS 9, it'd be easier on you to use it in conjunction with X. You may consider having Classic start when you log in, so that it's ready if you use your scanner-- no waiting for it to boot...

pnw

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Hi Cindy :) me again...

Vuescan does not support your scanner, and ScanAce does not provide OS X support-- so you're stuck in Classic for this one. Any program that you use in Classic will use the OS 9 file structure, so saving files will put them in different locations than OS X normally does-- you'll want to make sure you're saving scans to /users/yourusername/documents/

I would probably avoid using the scanner while booted to OS 9, it'd be easier on you to use it in conjunction with X. You may consider having Classic start when you log in, so that it's ready if you use your scanner-- no waiting for it to boot...

pnw

Yes, that's what I've done -- just use in in conjunction with OS X
I really don't use the scanner very much.
What I noticed tho... I did scan a couple of pics to email to a friend and sent them as attatchments in "mail" in OS X and it sure takes a loooong time to send. Outlook express sent them so fast.
Is there a reason for this? Have you found this with your stuff?
Cindy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.