PDA

View Full Version : Geekfest 2003 - Washington, DC

Pages : [1] 2

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 10:37 AM
I will apologize up front to those who will complain, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss the places we're going to check out & things we want to do while in DC next weekend. If the topic goes off into spam discussions, I will personally delete any & all posts. ;)

That being said, Mr. A, Moxie, Evo, and whoever else is joining in... :D

I definitely wanted to eat at Chipotle & XandO.

ESL for some night entertainment, no doubt.

I may want to visit the Space Museum even at some point.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2003, 10:56 AM
Well, I'm thinking Thursday Kabob Palace and the hangar at National Airport if you're interested. Check out the Blackhawks and maybe take a few pics on the tarmac - it will be different from that perspsective and something you really can't do unless you have a badge - which I have.

After that, we see how the weather is - there's lots of stuff to do. What would you be interested in? Georgetown, Old Town, Mount Vernon (down the GW Parkway)

Current outlook is mostly sunny - but that's still too far away to make a call.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 11:02 AM
Ah yes...that sounds great! I'm looking forward to Kabob Palace! :D

Also...I didn't get to see Arlington Cemetery last time I was there...would make for a nice location & maybe some photos.

Georgetown goes without saying... ;)

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 11:16 AM
ok, i have been given a few recommendations that may be worth thinking about..... (it's basically a cut n paste from an email below)

hip new restaurants:
Zaytinyah at 9th and G (the chef just won the James Beard Award) it is Turkish, Greek and Lebanese
Zola's by the Spy Museum at 800 F st. (American)
Firefly 1310 N.H. Ave (American)
Dish 925 25th (American)
Mie n Yu 3125 M st in Georgetown (Asian Fusion and North African) the bar is supposed to be fun!
Agua Ardiente 24th and M

as far as bars go....most of the above restaurants have trendy and fun bars, you can eat at them too. Maybe a few more would be
Helix at 1430 Rhode Island Ave.
The Topaz on N and 17th.
Bar Rouge at 16th and Rhode Island.

i had dinner at a great Caribbean restaurant that opened about 1-2 years ago called Ortanique at
11th and H. it was dramatic and elegant at the same time and has live music.

whaddya think D.?

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 11:20 AM
other than that, i'm happy doing whatever, even if it's sunbathing by the hotel pool sipping margharitas :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by evoluzione
Mie n Yu 3125 M st in Georgetown (Asian Fusion and North African) the bar is supposed to be fun!
Agua Ardiente 24th and M

whaddya think D.? [/B]

Mie n Yu - wow - hadn't heard of that one - but it sound absolutely wild. We'll have to hit that for lunch or early dinner when we're in GT - its new and most likely packed.

Check out the review
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1082297&typeId=2

As or Aqua Ardiente - been there several times, its ok, sort of Tapas based fare - but nothing all that special. And for me even less so since its in the building I work ( 1250 24th St.) I'm on the top, 8th floor, and we go there for happy hour regularly. Its ok, but there are plenty of other places that are more interesing.

Dish is ok too - one thing we have to consider is that there are so many places to see and dine in that there is no way we'll get it all.

One night/afternoon we should go to the Apple store in Clarendon and then head done the street and get some Vietnamese food at Nam Viet - its damn good and a personal favorite.

Others:

Kabob Palace (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=795161&typeId=2) we can eat there again - its close to the hotel you'll be staying in (its that good - if you find better grilled lamb chops any where, I want to know!)

Nam Viet (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=795831&typeId=2) The Clarendon restaurant is the first one - but the review is for the DC, doesnt' matter - I think the Clarendon one is tastier.

Zola's (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1076390&typeId=2) Looks like a better place to get a drink after going to the Spy Museum - we'll be there, so it should be worth a stop.

Spy Museum (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1070316&typeId=3) is going to be $13 a piece to go and see. If this is something of a problem let me know. I'll also need to know who's going to go - how many tickets do I need to buy ahead of time. Figure we'll get there early Sat Morning after spending some time walking around the Mall.

Right now I'm thinking we have Moxie, Eye, Evo, me and Mrs. Dukestreet. Any other takers?

This is going to be a lot of fun, really looking forward to it.

D :D

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 12:23 PM
sounds like a good plan to me, defo up for the Spy Museum, with a bevvie at Zola's afterwards.

oh, and looking forward to the lamb chops!

i'll have a read up on the locations.....but it all sounds good, as far as i'm concerned it's in your hands D! :D

Woo! the starter of the first thread to get closed in the private forum! :D :cool: haha

MrMacMan
Jun 8, 2003, 12:49 PM
:steals car and drives: ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty ok with any type of Food. If there's a good mexican (authetico of course) place you recommened, bring it on.

I'm also curious about this one barbeque place we went to but can't remember the name.

The Space museum is somewhere I wanna go see-- supposedly I have a design in it somewhere. :) A little thing called the "dewar"

Anyway. Also, If weather permits, I wanna do some mad crazy photo shooting-- I know duke, um, mr anderson, mentioned some waterfalls. And I wanna be like TLC and go chasin' them

hehe

Also, any good indie record stores and/or vintage clothiers. A-OK

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
:steals car and drives: ;)

ha! And can you even drive?

Being a minor you might get off easy and not have to serve any time when you get caught for GTA, driving without a license, etc ;)

Moxie: Great Falls is nutso right now. With all the rain we've got high water and it will be quite spectacular. You'll want to do B&W - the colors won't be all that exciting - brown dirty water, dirty yellow foam. And I know its all digital - but I'm thinking in terms of filtering if you have that option on your camera. Bring hiking boots, it'll be muddy, dirty and lots of fun. We'll have about a mile or more hike to get to the interesting stuff and we'll see how the weather is and do what we can.

I'll get 5 tix for Sat. morning for the Spy Museum tomorrow.

Mexican isn't going to be that autentic - we have some good stuff, but nothing like you'd get in San Diego or Arizona/New Mexico. However, as Eye mentioned, Chipotle is fast food burritos and if you've never had one its worth the trip. Damn tasty stuff.

As for the bbq place - i've got a great NorthCarolina bbq dive that is fantastic. You'd never stop there if you didn't know about by reputation ;)

There is also some very large construction (the new Patent and Trade Offices) going up in Alexandria, we'll have to see, but it my be worth, ah, exploring.......

Saturday night Armand has friends coming in from out of town, so we won't be doing any firewheels - maybe sunday, we'll see.

And the rest we can just see where it takes us.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
ha! And can you even drive?

Being a minor you might get off easy and not have to serve any time when you get caught for GTA, driving without a license, etc ;)

Moxie: Great Falls is nutso right now. With all the rain we've got high water and it will be quite spectacular. You'll want to do B&W - the colors won't be all that exciting - brown dirty water, dirty yellow foam. And I know its all digital - but I'm thinking in terms of filtering if you have that option on your camera. Bring hiking boots, it'll be muddy, dirty and lots of fun. We'll have about a mile or more hike to get to the interesting stuff and we'll see how the weather is and do what we can.

I'll get 5 tix for Sat. morning for the Spy Museum tomorrow.

Mexican isn't going to be that autentic - we have some good stuff, but nothing like you'd get in San Diego or Arizona/New Mexico. However, as Eye mentioned, Chipotle is fast food burritos and if you've never had one its worth the trip. Damn tasty stuff.

As for the bbq place - i've got a great NorthCarolina bbq dive that is fantastic. You'd never stop there if you didn't know about by reputation ;)

There is also some very large construction (the new Patent and Trade Offices) going up in Alexandria, we'll have to see, but it my be worth, ah, exploring.......

Saturday night Armand has friends coming in from out of town, so we won't be doing any firewheels - maybe sunday, we'll see.

And the rest we can just see where it takes us.

D

I'm down for seeing that new construction. Any abandoned mental wards or other neat cemeteries we could mill around in? ;)

Kwyjibo
Jun 8, 2003, 02:11 PM
If by Chipolte you mean the McDonalds owned chain ... i'm not a big fan of it. They use too much cilantro for my tastes and it seems more like corporate mexican food than real mexican food. It was cool last night because they catered our senior party but I didn't end up eating that much... I waited until the ribs and buffalo wild wings got there.

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 02:14 PM
If any of you are ever in Pittsburgh.... There's a restaurant called La Fiesta. They do a Southern Mexican style thing. And it's half off after ten

Nothing like authentic Quesadillas with hand rolled tortilla chips and homemade salsa.

When my friend Doug came back from mexico, we took him to La Fiesta to compare and he was blown away with how similar it was.

:)

It's one of my three perfect "date places" where I take the ladies. ;)

Stay tuned for the other locations... :rolleyes:

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 02:42 PM
damn, i don't have any hiking boots, not much need in the big bad city haha. nevermind, i need some new sneakers anyways.... I'll have to make myself content with snapping away on my cellphone and emailing the pics right away so i have space to take more hahaha. hmm, maybe i can borrow a camera.... [starts scheming]

bah i can't wait.

moxie, you gonna hang around at the airport for me? you arrive shortly before right???

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 02:46 PM
damn, i don't have any hiking boots, not much need in the big bad city haha. nevermind, i need some new sneakers anyways.... I'll have to make myself content with snapping away on my cellphone and emailing the pics right away so i have space to take more hahaha. hmm, maybe i can borrow a camera.... [starts scheming]

bah i can't wait.

moxie, you gonna hang around at the airport for me? you arrive shortly before right???

I know We can check in anytime after noon. And i'll be down there around 12-1 o clock. Lemme know when you flight arrives?

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 02:53 PM
Friday at High Noon :D

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
Friday at High Noon :D

aereopuerto?

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
aereopuerto?

same as you i think mate ... DCA

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 03:17 PM
Spy Museum sounds great to me. As I told Moxie, I set aside a nice bit of cash to have on hand for anything just about. Of course, the less I spend is always nicer, but u get the idea. ;)

D...are there any good wine bars or anything of the sort where we could start off a night with some vino?

btw...D...that photo series I told u about is gonna happen! :D

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Spy Museum sounds great to me. As I told Moxie, I set aside a nice bit of cash to have on hand for anything just about. Of course, the less I spend is always nicer, but u get the idea. ;)

D...are there any good wine bars or anything of the sort where we could start off a night with some vino?

btw...D...that photo series I told u about is gonna happen! :D

my sentiments exactly :D

lol, oooh, sticky

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 03:41 PM
lol, oooh, sticky

he he...the power of being a mod... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2003, 05:34 PM
There are a couple good places - I didn't realize you were all flying in. So, its just going to be 4? Moxie, are you getting a car?

If its just the 4 of us, I can do all the driving, plenty of room in the Element for all of us and camera gear ;)

Moxie: This is DC - abandon places aren't all that common, and security is very tight in most areas. We're going to have to be careful - but don't worry, we'll find something.

And if we do it late one night, I'd recommend drinks *after* :D

If you're all flying into National I might be available to pick you up. Let me know.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 8, 2003, 05:35 PM
There are a couple good places - I didn't realize you were all flying in. So, its just going to be 4? Moxie, are you getting a car?

If its just the 4 of us, I can do all the driving, plenty of room in the Element for all of us and camera gear ;)

Moxie: This is DC - abandon places aren't all that common, and security is very tight in most areas. We're going to have to be careful - but don't worry, we'll find something.

And if we do it late one night, I'd recommend drinks *after* :D

If you're all flying into National I might be available to pick you up. Let me know.

D

heh. I figured as much. DC's a little, um, less depressed than some point in SWPA. ;)

And no. I'm not flying in. I'll be driving.

evoluzione
Jun 8, 2003, 09:41 PM
And no. I'm not flying in. I'll be driving.

Dude, I'm a muppet. After all the talk over the last couple of weeks about going for a cruise in the Saab, I still had it in my head you were flying in. Must be on one of those new fangled 'planes where you can drive your car right in i guess :rolleyes: ;) Why I thought that I have no idea, were you planning on flying in at one time???

D. I think Moxie can pick me up, not sure, we should exchange celly numbers anyways though. I can always get a cab to the hotel, it's only 8 miles.... :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2003, 09:53 PM
All of you should email me or PM me cell phone info and intended arrival times. I've got eyelikeart's.

And we'll need to figure out where to meet on Friday and where we'll go.

Moxie - eye said you might bring some friends, is that the case? I need to know if I'm going to get tickets for the Spy Museum.

Also, someone send me the hotel info when you get a chance.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 08:00 AM
All of you should email me or PM me cell phone info and intended arrival times. I've got eyelikeart's.

And we'll need to figure out where to meet on Friday and where we'll go.

Moxie - eye said you might bring some friends, is that the case? I need to know if I'm going to get tickets for the Spy Museum.

Also, someone send me the hotel info when you get a chance.

D

I thought some buds were gonna come. BUt they're not now.

Oh. And Evo, Saab makes planes--maybe that's where you got the "mike's flying in" bit from. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 08:42 AM
I thought some buds were gonna come. BUt they're not now.

Oh. And Evo, Saab makes planes--maybe that's where you got the "mike's flying in" bit from. :)

Great - just needed to know. If you don't have hiking boots, run shoes or some such will be fine, it just might be a little wet and you need to have something that will give you good footing.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 08:49 AM
Great - just needed to know. If you don't have hiking boots, run shoes or some such will be fine, it just might be a little wet and you need to have something that will give you good footing.

D

Got the carolina jump boots in the "to be packed" pile. :)

Those things... had 'em since 1994 and they haven't failed me yet. ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 09:04 AM
I'll be sure to bring my old Adidas running shoes...it'll help out with my bad knee also. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 09:07 AM
I'll be sure to bring my old Adidas running shoes...it'll help out with my bad knee also. ;)

Ha, well, we'll make sure to take it easy on you ;)

Anyone here every climb? On the path there is a 12' rock - its very tricky but it can be done - I hope I can find it again....

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 09:09 AM
Ha, well, we'll make sure to take it easy on you ;)

Anyone here every climb? On the path there is a 12' rock - its very tricky but it can be done - I hope I can find it again....

D

Heh. I have no problems getting up.... but getting down is always a bitch.

Good upper arm and leg strength to propel myself upwards... but gummy muscles that often get twisted and pulled on the way down. ;)

I dunno what's wrong with me... although i usually do downward climbs while running from the po'

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 09:17 AM

:D hmm...climbing....I'm down with it...

I've got pretty good upper body strength & my legs aren't entirely problematic...just overstress on the knee becomes an issue... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 09:17 AM
Heh. I have no problems getting up.... but getting down is always a bitch.

The back side of the rock is sloped so you basically walk down once you get to the top. :D

I hope to not have to do any running from anyone.....

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 09:20 AM
The back side of the rock is sloped so you basically walk down once you get to the top. :D

I hope to not have to do any running from anyone.....

D

Doesn't sound too bad. ;) I, like Eye, have some minor-ish knee problems from too much up and down, down and up while playing hockey (played netminder)

That does WONDERS for your knees.

and no, hopefully we won't be doing any running. Man. I hope not. We got kinda-busted trespassing last week. :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 09:21 AM
and no, hopefully we won't be doing any running. Man. I hope not. We got kinda-busted trespassing last week. :(

And you couldn't talk your way out of it?

That usually works for me - did you have cameras?

Oh, and if we do have to run - well, I'm really fast, - I might not wait, so you don't know me, right ;)

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 09:25 AM
And you couldn't talk your way out of it?

That usually works for me - did you have cameras?

Oh, and if we do have to run - well, I'm really fast, - I might not wait, so you don't know me, right ;)

D

We talked our way out of it. It was just majorly annoying. They ran an article on Dixmont (we were taking some friends who never had been there) and the incidents of trespassing are way up.

The owner guy was annoyed, but i whipped out the D100 and claimed to be a professional photographer who was documenting the building for a historical society's website.

Hehe. he bought it and the cops seemed cool-- we're older and obviously not looking for trouble.

So they let us go. But it was annoying-- they kept us there for like, 45 minutes. The cops had nothing better to do, I suppose, in sleepy Kilbuck twp.

blech.

It bugged me... we're usually really stealthy, but two of the peeps we took ignored our "walk softly and be quiet, and DON'T use a flashlight" warnings.

Luckily we were RIGHT on the edge of the property, so we technically weren't trespassing and they really couldn't write a ticket that would be substial enough. hehe

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 09:40 AM
Ha, stealthy is something I mastered long ago.

The place I'm thinking about is well lit, but flash photography might be tough, so we'll have to bring tripods.

And it has potential to be great shots, the Masonic Temple is lit up a night and will be right there to the northwest.

http://www.rudderow.com/photo_gallery/bowling_gaming_moving_aging/Pages/Image13.html

Great contrast.....but crazy exposure requirements ;)

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 09:55 AM
Ha, stealthy is something I mastered long ago.

The place I'm thinking about is well lit, but flash photography might be tough, so we'll have to bring tripods.

And it has potential to be great shots, the Masonic Temple is lit up a night and will be right there to the northwest.

http://www.rudderow.com/photo_gallery/bowling_gaming_moving_aging/Pages/Image13.html

Great contrast.....but crazy exposure requirements ;)

D

Man, That's a killer shot. Have you seen

http://detroityes.com/index.html

great site.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 09:58 AM
Oh, I did forget - we'll be taking the tour of the Masonic Temple - believe me, you won't believe it, even after you've gone ;)

Its probably one of the most entertaining tours in the DC area - and this is one we should probably get a drink or two before....

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:06 AM

well I won't be dragging mine around the airport & on the plane...do u have an extra pour moi? ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:09 AM
well I don't be dragging mine around the airport & on the plane...do u have an extra pour moi? ;)

if worse comes to, i can borrow jesse's or dug's.

That said, i would like to hit a good cammie store if there's one in DC. The stores here rreally don't stock much of a shizz here

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 10:17 AM
I've got a large one and a small one - it won't be a problem, we can share.

Also, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/index.html

the weather report changes daily. Yesterday we were getting rain on friday....blah - that's all we've been getting recently. So lets all hope for sun at least once over the weekend.

D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 10:19 AM
That said, i would like to hit a good cammie store if there's one in DC. The stores here rreally don't stock much of a shizz here

What sort of camera store do you want?
One of the Super Ritz cameras in DC or more of a special pro shop?

I actually need to get a new bag for my new camera.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:21 AM
ah..speaking of specialty stores...

I may need to hit the Whole Foods Market when I arrive. I'll be needing some bars & peanut butter to keep me happy while in meal limbo. ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:22 AM
What sort of camera store do you want?
One of the Super Ritz cameras in DC or more of a special pro shop?

I actually need to get a new bag for my new camera.

D

These guys have killer bags. Am actually gonna order one soon:

http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camera.html

I just wanna get a tripod that is a bit better than the standard Ambico plastic stuff. I have a decent vivtar but it fell apart on me. (fell down an embankment. eek)

i wanna get a decent bogen/manfrotto. Maybe spend a buck-fiddy or so.

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:23 AM
ah..speaking of specialty stores...

I may need to hit the Whole Foods Market when I arrive. I'll be needing some bars & peanut butter to keep me happy while in meal limbo. ;)

whiney bizatch. ;)

i could prolly bring some with me from our whole foods.....

m

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:44 AM
whiney bizatch. ;)

ha ha yeah...but u have seen me at that hunger point...

not a pretty site I'm afraid... :eek:

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:49 AM
ha ha yeah...but u have seen me at that hunger point...

not a pretty site I'm afraid... :eek:

yea. i think i saw that "websight" ;)

areyou hungry now? is it ruining your usually stellar phrasing and sentence forming, as well as spelling? ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 10:53 AM
Ha, there's a Whole Foods across the street from the Apple Store in Clarendon :D

The Super Ritz on K St. in the city should have everything you need - we can make a stop there.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:59 AM
Ha, there's a Whole Foods across the street from the Apple Store in Clarendon :D

The Super Ritz on K St. in the city should have everything you need - we can make a stop there.

D

Schweet. As much as i'm an advocate of buying online... i just can't justify buying a tripod online. Just as i couldn't justifty the d100 purchase. It's too tactile to trust it up to the gods of ebay or amazon. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 11:05 AM
Schweet. As much as i'm an advocate of buying online... i just can't justify buying a tripod online. Just as i couldn't justifty the d100 purchase. It's too tactile to trust it up to the gods of ebay or amazon. :)

Absolutely agree there - when I went to buy my new camera I went to the stores and played with them a bit to get an idea how they felt - then ordered on line (remember, my Minolta died in Arizona and I basically got a free Elan7 with my Amex membership rewards)

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 11:10 AM
Absolutely agree there - when I went to buy my new camera I went to the stores and played with them a bit to get an idea how they felt - then ordered on line (remember, my Minolta died in Arizona and I basically got a free Elan7 with my Amex membership rewards)

D

The Elan7 is a sweet Camera. Did you get a nice lens for it?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 11:16 AM
I got a couple good ones - 28 to 100 and 100 to 300. They're ok and will do for now. I'll get more when I convert over to a digital body when something like a 9MP get to around $1500.

And that's still only 3500x2500 res - I'd really like 12 MP but that's going to be a while.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 11:21 AM
yea. i think i saw that "websight" ;)

areyou hungry now? is it ruining your usually stellar phrasing and sentence forming, as well as spelling? ;)

I'm always hungry!! :D

and yes...my grammar is affected by it...my ability to think gets affected by it... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 11:30 AM
I'm always hungry!! :D

and yes...my grammar is affected by it...my ability to think gets affected by it... ;)

Ah, Sunday morning if you're interested we can go to a little place in Old Town (and I mean little) that has some of the best breakfast in the area.

You can try and eat 3 pancakes.....yes 3, they're 12" around. I love to blueberry, but they sometime make peach or blackberry, depending on what fruits available.

Also Jack's cornedbeef hash is awesome - and the omlettes are spectacular. You get any of them and you'll find 1/3 pound of meat in it ;)

D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
ahh...blueberry pancakes! :D

remember that little place I took u guys last year?

I haven't been there in a while. Maybe next weekend I'll have to run out that way. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 12:10 PM
ahh...blueberry pancakes! :D

remember that little place I took u guys last year?

I haven't been there in a while. Maybe next weekend I'll have to run out that way. ;)

That was not bad - but Jack's is a bit different - a very local place that's taken my wife and I years to get regular status - and we're still not quite there.

The only sad thing about the place is that they don't do grits, but other than that, the food is fantastic. The cornbeef hash is made with slices of deli sandwich cornedbeef with 2 eggs on top and toast. Its huge amounts of food too.

We'll have to go early, it gets crowded if you get there after 9.

I think we're all in agreement that sleep is going to be an luxury this weekend ;)

D

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 12:42 PM
jeez guys, have a whole convo without me why don't ya :rolleyes: haha ;)

a'right, D. nice one about Saab building 'planes, forgot about that :)

I think when Moxie mentioned bringing some buds along, I don't think he meant friends :D ;)

If anyone needs any equipment, let me know, I'll see if i can borrow some, I know enough photographers I may be able to blag some stuff from for the weekend.....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 01:02 PM
I think when Moxie mentioned bringing some buds along, I don't think he meant friends :D ;)

As long as he doesn't have any on him when his slow butt gets caught by the police when I'm around....;)

But it looks like plans are shaping up nicely - its going to be great.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 01:05 PM
As long as he doesn't have any on him when his slow butt gets caught by the police when I'm around....;)

But it looks like plans are shaping up nicely - its going to be great.

D

Ahem. Who said anthing about me having buds? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Don't wanna tip off the popo

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 01:15 PM

I think we're all in agreement that sleep is going to be an luxury this weekend ;)

he he...you're damned right there... ;)

The food sounds great. I LOVE blueberry pancakes! :D I can sleep when I'm dead.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 01:44 PM
Don't wanna tip off the popo

Just remember this ain't no sleeply little town - they take things a little more seriously here. We just stay smart we'll get some great shots and see a few things that most people won't ever see.

Pancakes - so glad you're up for those eye, its going to be fun!

Anyone have a video cam? If not, evo if you could get a DVCam that would be perfect. I've got a mini deck that we could transfer the stuff to afterwards.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 01:46 PM
Just remember this ain't no sleeply little town - they take things a little more seriously here. We just stay smart we'll get some great shots and see a few things that most people won't ever see.

Pancakes - so glad you're up for those eye, its going to be fun!

Anyone have a video cam? If not, evo if you could get a DVCam that would be perfect. I've got a mini deck that we could transfer the stuff to afterwards.

D

oh totally. i don't plan on doing anything stupid. not in my blood. :)

and i'm surely not gonna risk any of your guy's reputations. Well, maybe eyes. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 02:01 PM
oh totally. i don't plan on doing anything stupid. not in my blood. :)

Well, I've been known to do stupid things - but so far I've been lucky. :D

And when do you plan on leave Moxie?

When's your flight out evo?

D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 02:03 PM
and i'm surely not gonna risk any of your guy's reputations. Well, maybe eyes. ;)

gee...thanks... :rolleyes:

u just wait...u thought u were wrecked after I was in Pittsburgh back in October...

I'll personally see to it that u go home in a bodybag after a visit to NOLA... ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 02:05 PM
Well, I've been known to do stupid things - but so far I've been lucky. :D

And when do you plan on leave Moxie?

When's your flight out evo?

D

imma leave around 8 {edit 8am} or so. Maybe a bit later.

If its nice it'll take me longer as I plan to snap some on the way

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 02:09 PM
my flight back home is for 9 am on Monday...

I don't remember if I forwarded my itinerary to u or not D...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 02:19 PM
I don't think I have it - but just let me know flight info on the arrival and I'll be sure to be at National to pick you up.

I'll be taking Monday off myself to recharge ;)

D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
Depart NOLA, 7:00 am, Flight #1254
Arrive DC, 12:25 pm

Will I be close enough to take the Metro to the airport on Monday or will I need to get a ride out of Moxie?

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 03:05 PM
Depart NOLA, 7:00 am, Flight #1254
Arrive DC, 12:25 pm

Will I be close enough to take the Metro to the airport on Monday or will I need to get a ride out of Moxie?

man.r emember my sorry tired arse when i drove you out monday am last time? Whew. :)

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 03:09 PM
man.r emember my sorry tired arse when i drove you out monday am last time? Whew. :)

heh...yeah...I missed my flight actually... :(

second thought D...what are my "other" options? ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 03:11 PM

if i remember correctly, your boy mike wasn't ready to roll... i was there on time. Didn't he have a problem packing something??

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 03:13 PM
if i remember correctly, your boy mike wasn't ready to roll... i was there on time. Didn't he have a problem packing something??

hmm...I think so...he's always late for everything... :rolleyes:

worse than a girlfriend...

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 03:14 PM
hmm...I think so...he's always late for everything... :rolleyes:

worse than a girlfriend...

its the drugs man. the drugs

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 03:16 PM

If your flight is at 9AM, we'll need to get you to the airport at 8 or so, there's no reason not to meet up for breakfast around 7 or earlier depending on the weather. 6 AM (or earlier) could be good for some pics on the Mall - good lighting around dawn and pretty dramatic...

Like I said, sleep? Nah!

D

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 03:18 PM
If your flight is at 9AM, we'll need to get you to the airport at 8 or so, there's no reason not to meet up for breakfast around 7 or earlier depending on the weather. 6 AM (or earlier) could be good for some pics on the Mall - good lighting around dawn and pretty dramatic...

Like I said, sleep? Nah!

D

I just hope i don't slap eye when he tries to awak me from my slumber. ;)

Though i hear hospitals are good for pics.... :D :D

j/k

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
its the drugs man. the drugs

hmm..no comment... :cool:

Originally posted by dukestreet

Like I said, sleep? Nah!

that'll be great...I'm not scared... ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 03:22 PM
hmm..no comment... :cool:

that'll be great...I'm not scared... ;)

i'll bring the "wake mike up poker' you can use that to ensure your safety. :)

m

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 06:38 PM
ok, i may well be able to get a DVcam, prob a li'l dinky sony, and i think i can grab a nikon coolpix 5700 too.

D. my flight details are as follows....

Leave JFK - Friday 13th (gulp) at 10.50am - AA Flight 4554
Arriving DCA at 12.00pm

returning flight, leaves DCA 5.50pm - AA 4784 Terminal B

if you or moxie can pick me up or drop me off that'd be awesome, but i can always get a cab easily enough i'm sure

oh, i think i may have us an invite for a party over the weekend too :D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
oh, i think i may have us an invite for a party over the weekend too :D

pray tell evo...I'm quite curious... ;) :D

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 08:29 PM
pray tell evo...I'm quite curious... ;) :D

not sure on the details yet mate, but rest assured i'll let you know when i know myself :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 9, 2003, 08:35 PM
Is this going to be a personal friends party (or friend of a friend) or a true DC Gala event?

My ex-girlfriend was a society reporter for the Washington Times so she got to go to all the Black Tie events - I had to buy a tux I was using it so often.

It was fantastic, going to all those silly society gigs, seeing all the politicos and stars when they were in town. Actually went to the Kennedy Center's Mark Twain awards for Richard Pryor - It was wild how many people showed up for that one. Robin Williams was unbelievable.

Anyway, I have a tux if I need it ;)

D

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 08:40 PM
oh it won't be a black tie do. i'm waiting for my roomie to get home (her with the thievery corp buddies) as she told me she hot me a party invite. it's probably a club thing as opposed to a house party or anything like that.....bah, she owes me a rent cheque too, hurry up and get home! haha

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 10:00 PM
ok guys, there's a DJ spinning at a place a few doors away from 18th St Lounge, goes by the name of Taha and he's good, I have a cd of his (nothing released yet, but give it a year and he'll be up there with Thievery) and he has just shot a video for MTV Europe in preparation for his debut album. "Supporting" him on the Saturday night, is "Dimitri from Paris" who is great, I have a couple of his cds already "after the playboy mansion" being one.

so, as of right now, I'm on the guest list, +3

oh, and the party is a mellow affair, at a nice pad, the guy is known for his quality parties apparently haha, i'll be getting his number should we feel the urge to stop by (on friday evening i believe)....

i guess we'll just wing it when we all meet up and figure out who wants to do what yeah? :D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:01 PM
Sadly enough...I don't even own a suit. :(

I don't have much use for one right now, although I'd likely make up excuses to do so if I were dating anyone exclusively. ;)

Still...I had a feeling of what u were talking about evo. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:04 PM
so, as of right now, I'm on the guest list, +3

oh, and the party is a mellow affair, at a nice pad, the guy is known for his quality parties apparently haha, i'll be getting his number should we feel the urge to stop by (on friday evening i believe)....

i guess we'll just wing it when we all meet up and figure out who wants to do what yeah? :D

dude...u rock!!!! :D

that's friggin' killer...I'm down for some action... ;)

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 10:21 PM
i try ;)

yeah i don't own a suit either, well, a creamy summer suit from 10 years ago haha. i do have a jacket though, nice it is too, maybe i should bring it....

gah i can't wait! gonna be a trip (in more ways than one heh)

MacAztec
Jun 9, 2003, 10:55 PM
That sounds pretty cool guys. I wish I was a lil older and I would be going...oh well. I went to DC once with my family when I was about 10, I remember it kicked ass!

DO VISIT the Space Museum. Its awesome. That was my favorite part.

I remember eating chicken at some really nice place, and it was sooo good. I ate soo much so fast, I started choking. It was freaky.

But anyways, you guys should consider coming here next year. Its really really relaxing for a vacation. You would think it might be boring, but there is tons to do.

Lay out by pool with gorgeous women, hike in box canyon (FUN), go out to Mecca and check out the grapes, golf, do whatever. Its really nice to be swimming right now. For athletics, we just swim, and its great because we are with the dance team (yes.....).

Box canyon kicks ass too. I have been out there many times to hike, and as far as I know, its the BEST place to see a meteor shower. I remember the meteor shower like 2 years ago (big one), we drove out there, and I could count more then 1 a second!

Anyways, make sure to eat some good food in DC. Eating good food is fun to do. Try some of Duke's homecooked meals too (if he has any :eek: )

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 11:01 PM
gah i can't wait! gonna be a trip (in more ways than one heh)

I will say...this is gonna be a trip bigtime!

I cannot wait...thursday cannot come any sooner... :D ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec

But anyways, you guys should consider coming here next year. Its really really relaxing for a vacation. You would think it might be boring, but there is tons to do.

Actually...there's talk of west coast next year. There's a bunch of u guys who wanna join in but haven't been able to make it across the country to do so. It would only make sense since we have done the south & now the east coast. ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 12:03 AM
other than that, i'm happy doing whatever, even if it's sunbathing by the hotel pool sipping margharitas :D

sunbathing on the east coast... awesome!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
sunbathing on the east coast... awesome!

there won't be any time for that - and not with the weather we've been having lately.

Current predictions .....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/index.html

Cloudy for the most part, opening up on Sunday. Its changed every single day this week, so don't expect it to be that way, but it could definitely rain.

And I was just joking about the tux ;) If you had managed to get tickets to something of that nature I'd be very impressed.

DC society is a strange thing - but I've only really been exposed to DC's version - seeing NY and West Coast in the news or such and I imagine they're all a bit strange. There is a doyenne of the society reporters - Baroness Garnette Stackleburg (sp?) who had a bunch of other 'royalty', Countess D'Amcourt (sp) and some others I don't remember. We would have dinner or visit on occasion at her apt. on Columbia Rd in DC. They were all in there 70s and they would hold court for the 'new blood'.

I honestly would just leave that place in wonder, shaking my head. The people she would have dropping by were the 'A' list of industry and politics. It was a fun ride, but I don't miss it. Women who had married money and would spend their time setting up fund raisers and parties. They would come to Garnette to get approval? or something. Not sure how that all worked. And it was just a matter of touching base and making sure it was ok. As an outsider without my own agenda I was able to see things from a different angle. These other women were being nice, but you know all of them wanted to be in Garnette's place, have everyone come to them and not the other way around.

Wild stuff - but DC is great - its going to be a blast. Two days eye!

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 08:04 AM
Wow. I go out to take some landscape shots and I miss all of this. whoo hoo Evo. Sounds like a rippin' partay. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 08:29 AM
Wow. I go out to take some landscape shots and I miss all of this. whoo hoo Evo. Sounds like a rippin' partay. :)

Anything good?

Also, there are a few places we'll need to go for pics that I don't think you'd ever expect see on a normal tour. I've found a few places that just make me wonder sometimes.

Anyone here ever been to the Watergate?

We can go there and walk over to the water front in GeorgeTown. Its pretty interesting.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 08:37 AM
Anything good?

Also, there are a few places we'll need to go for pics that I don't think you'd ever expect see on a normal tour. I've found a few places that just make me wonder sometimes.

We can go there and walk over to the water front in GeorgeTown. Its pretty interesting.

D

Sounds awesome though the weather sounds like its more suited to b/w which is cool.

I got some decent shots...we went to this sunken city called livermore. It's rumored to be haunted, but man, its more peaceful than anything. :D

It was flooded by the Army Core of Engineers in 1951-52 after the Johnstown Flood in WPA. They did it to re-router water ways and stuff. I don't know the *TRUE* story, but I know what legends say.

Basically there's (relatively) nothing to see. It's a now a walking trail over an old rail bridge. But if you get there at the right time, you can get some pretty landscapes/reflections.

hehe

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2003, 08:58 AM

he he...cool...let's do it! :D

after...we can stop off for a bite to eat before heading out for the night... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 09:06 AM
after...we can stop off for a bite to eat before heading out for the night... ;)

I'd like to see about that Mei an Yu place - sounds very cool.

Anyone seen the Einstein statue? How about the giant burried in the ground at Haines Point?

Ah, there's so much to see....;)

D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 09:09 AM
Anything good?

D

Dmitri from Paris??/ WTF??/ How??? I'm bringing business cards... and any demoes i can find of our band... and..... ;)

Duke, here's one shot

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 09:11 AM
Ah, that's wild - you're right very peaceful. Fall must be spectacular there and can you go tubing on the river?

D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
Ah, that's wild - you're right very peaceful. Fall must be spectacular there and can you go tubing on the river?

D

I can't even fathom fall up there--only ever was up there at night until last night. Why? i don't know. I guess the whole haunted-creepy factor....

I haven't seen anyone on the "river". I can't *fathom* it being very deep. ;) There supposedly is a city there.. so my friends might try and get permission to scuba..... that would be something

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 09:52 AM
here's more:

http://www.mikemancini.com/livermore2.jpg

http://www.mikemancini.com/livermore4.jpg

http://www.mikemancini.com/livermore3.jpg

These were both shot from the bridge that you see in the second shot. :)

All done at various times between 8 and 830ish ;) Nice weather here again... might have to wander out some more tonite. You'll have to get a few licks in on the D100 on fri, mr. anderson.

m

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2003, 09:53 AM
dude...u suck... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 10:03 AM
Nice shots!

But when I downloaded one and opened it up in photoshop the colors were off

What do I need to do to get the images to look correct?

D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 10:07 AM
Ok, just as a discussion piece - look at how this totally changes in tone....to me its emptiness and loneliness as a b/w. Where the colored version is hopeful....

D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:10 AM
Ok, just as a discussion piece - look at how this totally changes in tone....to me its emptiness and loneliness as a b/w. Where the colored version is hopeful....

D

totally. And within b/w one can really tweak it to evoke a lot of different emotions therein. Which is why, more and more, i'm doing stuff sepcifically for b/w

How do you do your b/w's? Do you just convert to grayscale and tweak? I know a slightly more controllable way. :)

Also, which ones were off colorwise? I'm curious, since the first one I posted looks entirely different in PS. These look good... but the first one is washed out compared to my original. Hrm.

m

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
Sometimes i'll do the channel mixer for b/w... this is a simulated red filter (getting the sky to look gloomy)

I also have some nice filter simulation actions.... they're nice since the d100 doesn't do b/w in camera. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 10:23 AM
nice on the channel mixer - what are the settings for that?

D

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:25 AM
nice on the channel mixer - what are the settings for that?

D

Hm. I know you convert to monochrome (duh) and i think this one is red=75 blue=5 and green=0

if you're interested i can email you an action.... it does simulations of all the filters---red, orance, yellow, etc and have a NICE ISO400 grainmaker for those ultra clean ISO100 digital shots. :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
Send them to me, I'd love to play around with them.

Thanks! :D

D

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2003, 10:33 AM
hehe...this can be a fotohaus secret... ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 10:43 AM
can you send em over here too, mikey?

jimmy@gelbin.org

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:46 AM
can you send em over here too, mikey?

jimmy@gelbin.org

we've awakened the sleeping lurker. ;)

i'll send them in a few here.
they're nice for bw

m

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 10:47 AM
we've awakened the sleeping lurker. ;)

i posted already in this thread. so who's sleeping? ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:50 AM
herethey are. don't feel like emailing :)

lemme know when you dl 'em and i'll take the file down. :)

stuff (http://www.mikemancini.com/FE_v1.4_Mac.sit)

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:51 AM
i posted already in this thread. so who's sleeping? ;)

so why aren't you coming to DC? Huh?

I know some girl who goes to NYU... her name's Emily. She's a hottie. :)

m

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 10:53 AM
got it

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 10:54 AM
so why aren't you coming to DC? Huh?

I know some girl who goes to NYU... her name's Emily. She's a hottie. :)

m

i know some guy who's a cradle robber. his name's mike. he's a pothead. :)

1. working

2. wouldn't attend a geekfest.

Moxiemike
Jun 10, 2003, 10:57 AM
i know some guy who's a cradle robber. his name's mike. he's a pothead. :)

1. working

2. wouldn't attend a geekfest.

nah. just an aesthete. She's got a bf and is happy. But i can look and admire, eh?

and for the pothead comment--- no comment

szark
Jun 10, 2003, 11:39 AM
Awesome pics, Moxie!

Where exactly is that lake? Sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

(and I'm the real sleeping lurker... :D )

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 08:56 AM
Ha, now the weather calls for thunderstorms and rain Thurs/Fri. But who knows - it might make for dramatic pics or it could be sunny......blah - the weather here so far this year has been absolutely terrible.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by szark
Awesome pics, Moxie!

Where exactly is that lake? Sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

(and I'm the real sleeping lurker... :D )

It's actaully a manmade lake in Western PA. We don't know the name, but the trail (the road you see) is the Conemaugh Trail.

Apparently the city underneath (Livermore) was flooded to create a place to divert water in the case of a potential flood. Its very cool and peaceful there. But it's basically a big long walking trail. Cool pics of the water, but not much aside from that. :)

Mr. A, sounds like interesting weather. Hopefully the tstorms will blow up here and leave DC sunny and dry. :) Put on your fans and face them north. ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:20 AM
Would I consider it bad karma to have bad weather the few days I was in Pittsburgh in October & also in DC this weekend? :(

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 09:21 AM
it were beautiful here in nyc yesterday, was so nice sitting outside the pub, guinness in hand, sun beating down, gorgeous girls keeping the beer flowing....ahhhhhh

just hope the weekend is as good, i have to try and get some sun by the pool, i guess it all depends on how drunk we end up haha

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:21 AM
Would I consider it bad karma to have bad weather the few days I was in Pittsburgh in October & also in DC this weekend? :(

it's all your fault. you jerk. ruining our trip to DC. ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:28 AM
it's all your fault. you jerk. ruining our trip to DC. ;)

that's it...just remember to sleep with one eye open... :eek:

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:29 AM
that's it...just remember to sleep with one eye open... :eek:

It's not you i'm worried about. It's your new friend from eBay.....

:eek:

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:30 AM
just hope the weekend is as good, i have to try and get some sun by the pool, i guess it all depends on how drunk we end up haha

he he yeah...I've been getting a little bit of sun at a time on my bike rides...

15 mins here...25 mins there...it all adds up nicely ;)

evoluzione
ah haha, you two have to shaa-aare, nah nah nah nah nahh ;)

while i have a whooooole room to meself (although i'm hoping i won't be alone :p )

Mr. Anderson
Sunday looks to be sunny :D

And there really is no telling what its going to be like until we actually see it - the weather has been very odd and not at all normal.

And we're only one day away from the start of the festivities! :D

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:31 AM
It's not you i'm worried about. It's your new friend from eBay.....

ahh...well we won't discuss YOUR soon to be new friend from ebay then... ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 09:31 AM

And we're only one day away from the start of the festivities! :D

D

yeah for you and eye maybe, moxie and i have to wait another 24 hours after that :(

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 09:33 AM
ahh...well we won't discuss YOUR soon to be new friend from ebay then... ;)

and this would be the guy taking pics in the nude????? hahaha, i crack myself up

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:34 AM
yeah for you and eye maybe, moxie and i have to wait another 24 hours after that :(

I know. I know. But Eye and Mr. A just HAD to have their alone time.

God only KNOWS what they'll do before we arrive. ;)

And yes, my little friend. Heehee. So dark and handsome..... right eye?

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:35 AM

he heh e...damned right... ;)

this time tomorrow...I'll be in the air...on the way to Cleveland for a stop... ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:36 AM
and this would be the guy taking pics in the nude????? hahaha, i crack myself up

might be even stranger than that. But two grown men buying antiques on eBay...and not just any antiques...and I'm starting to think there's a different reason why eye and i don't have some girlfriends.... :eek:

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:36 AM
And yes, my little friend. Heehee. So dark and handsome..... right eye?

he he...short & dark... :eek: :D ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:37 AM
he he...short & dark... :eek: :D ;)

and wearing a pink knit sweater. hahaha

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:38 AM
he heh e...damned right... ;)

this time tomorrow...I'll be in the air...on the way to Cleveland for a stop... ;)

Cleveland? I'm so sorry. :(

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 09:41 AM
I know. I know. But Eye and Mr. A just HAD to have their alone time.

God only KNOWS what they'll do before we arrive. ;)

hahaha and i hear eye is "sleeping over" at Mr. A's on thursday night too :p

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:41 AM
hahaha and i hear eye is "sleeping over" at Mr. A's on thursday night too :p

only propa thing to say:

OOH LA LA! :)

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:44 AM
hey evo...u don't have a girlfriend either, right? ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 09:50 AM
hey evo...u don't have a girlfriend either, right? ;)

very true, this is why i have a nice room to myself, with (i think) a queen size bed. (this sentence is open to way too much innuendo...)

for the first time in about 4 and a half years, i'm properly single, and am happy about it too :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 09:51 AM
I'm married - we'll let eye and his friend have the guest room and if they're lucky the dog or cat will sleep with them ;)

You guys will be missing out on the food ;)

D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 09:53 AM
when did geekfest become drunken orgy?

i guess when you lost the family man (ie, backdawg)

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 09:55 AM
I'm married - we'll let eye and his friend have the guest room and if they're lucky the dog or cat will sleep with them ;)

You guys will be missing out on the food ;)

D

I have this feeling eye's new friend has a fetsih for S&M.....

just a thought

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:00 AM
when did geekfest become drunken orgy?

always has been in my book, although my idea of drunken orgy involves me and hot girls, not eye and Mr. A :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:01 AM
I have this feeling eye's new friend has a fetsih for S&M.....

just a thought

I know about eye's new friend and he can use the dogs training color and leather lease if they feel like it ;)

And j-lo - even with the family last time, there was more than enough drinking going on....

D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 10:02 AM
always has been in my book, although my idea of drunken orgy involves me and hot girls, not eye and Mr. A :p

ahh. good decision on my part then

take bets on how long you last in the room by yourself..... before you end up in there with the other 2 (eye/moxie)

jelloshotsrule
And j-lo - even with the family last time, there was more than enough drinking going on....

can't have fun without it...

eyelikeart
wow...I go away for 15 mins...

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 10:04 AM

take bets on how long you last in the room by yourself..... before you end up in there with the other 2 (eye/moxie)

Hey, any port in a storm ya know? If it comes to that i'm sure eye and I will take what we can get where we can get it. ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:05 AM

dude, don't you worry about me, i can spit game when i need to :)
and of course i got the whole english accent angle i can work too......

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 10:08 AM
u guys are just sick...SICK!!!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:09 AM
can't have fun without it...

please - everyone knows you prefer prune juice to beer.

I spent all of last month without alcohol and it made no difference what so ever. Drinking as a social thing is fine and a lot of fun.

Speaking of which, we'll have to make a trip to the Brickskeller

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=792636&typeId=5

It's official -- no bar in the world has more varieties of beer than the Brickskeller. When the Guinness Book of World Records tallied up the number of brews available in January 2002, there were 1,072 different types in the inventory. The bar, whose red brick walls are covered with a veritable museum of empty cans and beer paraphernalia, estimates that it's served at least 4,000 different brands and styles of beer since 1983, and probably more than 1,000 before that -- the bar opened in 1957.

I used to go there at lunch - haven't been in a while....;)

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 10:10 AM
please - everyone knows you prefer prune juice to beer.

I spent all of last month without alcohol and it made no difference what so ever. Drinking as a social thing is fine and a lot of fun.

Speaking of which, we'll have to make a trip to the Brickskeller

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=792636&typeId=5

It's official -- no bar in the world has more varieties of beer than the Brickskeller. When the Guinness Book of World Records tallied up the number of brews available in January 2002, there were 1,072 different types in the inventory. The bar, whose red brick walls are covered with a veritable museum of empty cans and beer paraphernalia, estimates that it's served at least 4,000 different brands and styles of beer since 1983, and probably more than 1,000 before that -- the bar opened in 1957.

I used to go there at lunch - haven't been in a while....;)

D

1072??? how will we have enough time to try them all??//?????

I still say the best beer of all time is Delerium Tremens. :D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 10:13 AM
Hey, any port in a storm ya know? If it comes to that i'm sure eye and I will take what we can get where we can get it. ;)

so which part of eye is a "port"?

where's the storm??

oh, i don't drink prune juice

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:15 AM
so which part of eye is a "port"?

cracks up

awesome

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:16 AM
1072??? how will we have enough time to try them all??//?????

ha, you can't - and I don't think there's ever been anyone who has.

They do have around the world events....but its always great to go and try something you've never had. Anyone who goes to the Brick and orders a Bud should be shot - but it is available - and last I checked everything is in bottles or cans, nothing on tap.

D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 10:17 AM
cracks up

awesome

and i'm not even drunk ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:19 AM
nothing on tap.

D

what??? oh i was so excited until i saw that, how can you not have any draught beer????? :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
what??? oh i was so excited until i saw that, how can you not have any draught beer????? :(

when you have over 1000 beers....

believe me, its not going to make a difference. There are other places we can go to get draught beer. :D

A couple good Irish pubs for some Guiness....

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 10:25 AM
looks like I'll be having my montly beer in DC then! ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:27 AM
Update:

While the Brick's fame lies in its bottles, few people seem to know that two draft beers and one cask-conditioned ale are available in the upstairs bar every weekend, where you'll find more checkerboard tablecloths, darts and, on the first Thursday of the month, the Tom Principato Band. The cask ale, though, is usually an obscure English import that you won't find anywhere else in the area (or the mid-Atlantic region, for that matter), and reason to come on its own.

I've only been in the upstairs room once - out of all of the dozens of times I've been there its been downstairs. We'll have to go on Friday or Saturday Night and see what's on tap! WooHoo!

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:34 AM
Update:

obscure English import

perfect, if it's a beer called "Norfolk Nog" i'll die and go to heaven right there and then!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 10:37 AM
perfect, if it's a beer called "Norfolk Nog" i'll die and go to heaven right there and then!

Ah, we don't need to have any deaths here...;)

Who knows what it will be, but regardless I'm really looking forward to it now! Might have to go back regularly to see what they end up getting in.

D

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 10:46 AM
Ah, we don't need to have any deaths here...;)

Who knows what it will be, but regardless I'm really looking forward to it now! Might have to go back regularly to see what they end up getting in.

D

mos' def' :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:23 AM
Saturday or Sunday night depending on a few things (weather and whether the grass is mowed) we could do a test run of a firewheel. The solstice party is the following weekend.

Here's an old video (http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/solstice/burningWheelVideo.html) of the first recorded event ;)

You can check out others at www.dukestreet.com under the blackhole

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
Saturday or Sunday night depending on a few things (weather and whether the grass is mowed) we could do a test run of a firewheel. The solstice party is the following weekend.

he he...that would be so fun to see live! :D

so on that note...aren't we holding a fotohaus meeting Sunday night at your house?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:34 AM
We can do both - it gets dark late and the fire is much better later in the evening.

Oh, and that is a drinking event :D

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 11:36 AM
Oh, and that is a drinking event :D

he he...I wasn't going to ask... ;)

drunk geeks...cameras...flaming fire wheel...

this could get interesting... :D :eek:

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 11:43 AM
he he...I wasn't going to ask... ;)

drunk geeks...cameras...flaming fire wheel...

this could get interesting... :D :eek:

Don't worry i'll protect you for the flaming wheel of death eye.

not that you aren't alreadty flaming, sweetie!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:52 AM
If you're that enthusiastic about it, we might have you all make one - it only takes less than an hour and several beers or glasses of wine and then we're off to the field....Armand's going to be checking out the field anyway and always does a test roll or two the weekend before.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
If you're that enthusiastic about it, we might have you all make one - it only takes less than an hour and several beers or glasses of wine and then we're off to the field....Armand's going to be checking out the field anyway and always does a test roll or two the weekend before.

D

GEEKFEST ARTS AND CRAFTS! :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
Here's a pic from 2001 I think.

D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:56 AM
GEEKFEST ARTS AND CRAFTS! :)

I'll dig up the other video somewhere that has the Sparkler Bomb....;)

Don't know if its digital or not.

But here's a link of another idiot and his work....;)

http://www.dansdata.com/personal/bombpics.htm

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 11:57 AM
Here's a pic from 2001 I think.

D

Yea. I'm definitely in for that. My inner-pyro rears its ugly head.

mwahahaha

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 11:59 AM
Excellent!

Well, aside from eye's *friend* we need something to put the 'geek' in the events....and the pics could be damn cool.

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 12:02 PM
Excellent!

Well, aside from eye's *friend* we need something to put the 'geek' in the events....and the pics could be damn cool.

Totally. I plan on bringing the D100 and my old coolpix 880 for snapshots.

Should be fun. and we'll gave loads of materials. :D

We can host them on mikemancini.com

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 12:04 PM
Should be fun. and we'll gave loads of materials. :D

What materials are you talking about?

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 12:06 PM
What materials are you talking about?

I meant material. Like stuff we're doing.

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 12:32 PM
I meant material. Like stuff we're doing.

So true, there won't be a lack of things to do - and I also want to take you all to things or places that you wouldn't usually see.

Roosevelt Island is another good one - good for pics and the monument to Teddy there is very interseting - not at all what you'd expect to see.

Should I make a list of things as they stand now? It will remain something that we play by ear, do as we go since the weather will have some affect on it.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 12:33 PM
So true, there won't be a lack of things to do - and I also want to take you all to things or places that you wouldn't usually see.

Roosevelt Island is another good one - good for pics and the monument to Teddy there is very interseting - not at all what you'd expect to see.

Should I make a list of things as they stand now? It will remain something that we play by ear, do as we go since the weather will have some affect on it.

D

sure. i wanna start setting up photo galleries so i can *maybe* update during the trip. :)

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 12:49 PM
Places to go:

DC

Air and Space Museum
Spy Museum - Zola's
Washington Monument (get tix early)
Einstein Statue
Watergate
Georgetown, Riverfront - Mei an Yu
Firewheel/Armand's
Brickskeller
Super Ritz Camera Shop
*Evo's Party*
18th St. Lounge

VA

Great Falls
Roosevelt Island
Arlington Cemetary
Iwo Jima Memorial
Apple Store Clarendon-Nam Viet Restaurant
New Construction
Masonic Temple (Alexandria)
Kabob Palace
Jack's for pancakes Sunday Morning :D

What am I forgetting?

Eye and I will be hitting a few other places - Blackhawk helicopters at National, the Capital (got a tour for the 2 of us set up early Friday).

Think about what you want to do on Thursday afternoon Eye.

Sunday around 11 to 2 I'll be at my parents' in VA - Father's day you know.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 12:52 PM
Places to go:

DC

Air and Space Museum
Spy Museum - Zola's
Washington Monument (get tix early)
Einstein Statue
Watergate
Georgetown, Riverfront - Mei an Yu
Firewheel/Armand's
Brickskeller
Super Ritz Camera Shop
*Evo's Party*

VA

Great Falls
Roosevelt Island
Arlington Cemetary
Iwo Jima Memorial
Apple Store Clarendon-Nam Viet Restaurant
New Construction
Masonic Temple (Alexandria)
Kabob Palace
Jack's for pancakes Sunday Morning :D

What am I forgetting?

Eye and I will be hitting a few other places - Blackhawk helicopters at National, the Capital (got a tour for the 2 of us set up early Friday).

Think about what you want to do on Thursday afternoon Eye.

Sunday around 11 to 2 I'll be at my parents' in VA - Father's day you know.

D

Don't forget 18th Street Lounge

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 01:01 PM
Don't forget 18th Street Lounge

Updated...

Check here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/search&type=freedeals) and see if there is anything interesting going on that requires attending....

D

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 01:14 PM
note for ESL:

Hilton and his partners (including Farid Ali, a k a DJ Farid) have clearly accomplished those goals. On any given night there's a crush of people on the sidewalk waiting to get in, hoping to withstand the scrutiny at the door (no khakis, no ball caps, no attitude), pay the cover ($10, $15, $20 or free, depending on many things, including the time of night, the number of people in your party and the doorman's mood) and be let into the club.

I hope this doesn't cheese anyone off (but that said, the wool trousers and nice retro 1940's shirt I've got at the ready should work REALLY nice)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 01:19 PM
oh crap, father's day, in england too, bugger, and i have my dad, and stepdad to call. eh, bollocks to a card, they only get thrown away anyway haha. someone please remind me to call on sunday morning. cheers, oh, and there's a free pint in it for whoever reminds me first ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 01:21 PM
note for ESL:

Hilton and his partners (including Farid Ali, a k a DJ Farid) have clearly accomplished those goals. On any given night there's a crush of people on the sidewalk waiting to get in, hoping to withstand the scrutiny at the door (no khakis, no ball caps, no attitude), pay the cover ($10, $15, $20 or free, depending on many things, including the time of night, the number of people in your party and the doorman's mood) and be let into the club.

I hope this doesn't cheese anyone off (but that said, the wool trousers and nice retro 1940's shirt I've got at the ready should work REALLY nice)

hmmm, what to wear....lol

ok, so i'll have to see if i can get us the list there too, no promises mind...

Moxiemike
Jun 11, 2003, 01:30 PM
hmmm, what to wear....lol

ok, so i'll have to see if i can get us the list there too, no promises mind...

Yea,. I have the people from the club i design for here on the case too

if we get there b4 11 we should be ok

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 02:04 PM
You know, its amazing some times when coincidence occurs.

Seems we might be having our basement drains put in Friday or Saturday....blah!

What does that mean, other than the fact that there will be some guys in our house putting holes in our basement floor for a couple days?

Well, the dog gets to stay in the bedroom, I'll have to move some stuff around in the basement, but hopefully that's it. Might make a run to our storage facility with a final load. Woohoo:rolleyes:

We've been waiting to find out when it was going to happen for weeks - getting tired flooding, you know? So, I'm not thinking its going to be that big of a deal - and my wife will be home on Saturday while we're out running around.

I don't think this will have any impact on dinner Sunday night.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 02:08 PM
D...I was thinking we were doing Kabob Palace for lunch...and what about that senate tour we discussed in private? I will call u tonite to go further.

Mox...u know how I feel. I got some nifty duds to wear out. ;)

Evo...is there anything else we should know regarding the Friday night party?

also...I also have server space we can utilize for photo galleries... :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 02:13 PM
D...I was thinking we were doing Kabob Palace for lunch...and what about that senate tour we discussed in private? I will call u tonite to go further.

Yes, that's the plan - but these guys might like to go to and I don't think you'll complain to much going back - gives you a chance to sample the menu ;)

As for the Capitol - all set, Friday around noon - when you two guys get in, sorry. Had to arrange this to my friends time schedule and its an opportunity we can't pass up. I'll be hearing from him tonight or tomorrow as to the particulars - where and exactly when to meet him.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 02:16 PM
Yes, that's the plan - but these guys might like to go to and I don't think you'll complain to much going back - gives you a chance to sample the menu ;)

Well if there's any of the other places u have told me about in the past, I'm open for those choices equally. U know how much I'm down with the food man. ;)

I'll thumb through my book tonite to see if there is anything in there I haven't thought of.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 02:19 PM
Well if there's any of the other places u have told me about in the past, I'm open for those choices equally. U know how much I'm down with the food man. ;)

I'll thumb through my book tonite to see if there is anything in there I haven't thought of.

Well, we could hit Chipotle, since Evo's not all that up for it and save Kabob Palace for everyone - that might be best anyway. And there's one by the airport....;)

Honestly, I could eat there 3 or 4 times a week - it is so damn good and cheap.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 02:22 PM
Well, we could hit Chipotle, since Evo's not all that up for it and save Kabob Palace for everyone - that might be best anyway. And there's one by the airport....;)

Sold! :D

damn...less than 24 hours...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
damn...less than 24 hours...

woohoo!:D

Ah, you wouldn't mind helping move a couple shelves tomorrow, would you? My wife won't be of much help, you know?

And for dinner tomorrow night, anything in particular?

The current weather forcast precludes a bbq (we'll save that for Sunday)

Although, like I said, they've changed the weather outlook *again*.

Partly sunny and 80s Friday and Saturday, with clouds on Sunday, so who knows.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/index.html

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 02:35 PM
Of course I don't mind helping out. It's the least I could do for your hospitality. ;)

I still need to pick up some coffee for u. Will there be anything for the Mrs?

dinner...hmm...I'll think about that... :D

wine...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 02:40 PM

wine...

but of course - and Lisa probably won't be with us, she has some other plans tomorrow night.

Do you like sushi?

D

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 02:48 PM

Honestly, I could eat there 3 or 4 times a week - it is so damn good and cheap.

D

who says i'm not up for chipotle?? :confused:

eh, that's ok, moxie and i will just go pick up some hot chicks while you two're pootling around the capitol ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 03:02 PM
who says i'm not up for chipotle?? :confused:

eh, that's ok, moxie and i will just go pick up some hot chicks while you two're pootling around the capitol ;)

you complained about it earlier - but say we give you the choice between Chipotle and Kabob Palace? You'd be silly not to take Kabobs....

And we'll be done by the time you get in and settled at the hotel, ok?

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 03:12 PM

Do you like sushi?

mmmm....salmon box..... :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 03:13 PM
Koto's for dinner in old town tomorrow night - I love the place and its mostly locals.

That's going to be good.....

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 03:21 PM
aw hell yeah... ;)

I figure we can go have some fun before the others arrive...so we can at least have a story to tell to make 'em feel they missed out. :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 03:37 PM
There's a 1% chance of a helicopter ride....;)

D

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 03:39 PM
you complained about it earlier

i did???? where???? hard to believe i'd complain about food, especially spicy food. but who knows, maybe i hadn't had a cup of tea for a while... hehe

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
i did???? where???? hard to believe i'd complain about food, especially spicy food. but who knows, maybe i hadn't had a cup of tea for a while... hehe

ah, I went searching and couldn't find reference to it - maybe it was moxie. It doesn't matter, eye hasn't ever had one and I think they're up in NYC so you have access to them.

Kabob Palace isn't a chain - its one of a kind. That you don't want to miss :D

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 03:52 PM
someone said something about Chipotle being a chain...and I don't think it was Moxie...but maybe...that wanker... :rolleyes:

helicopter ride?! :D

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 03:57 PM
There's a 1% chance of a helicopter ride....;)

D

in my bestest paulie walnuts voice
ohhhhhhhh, enough with the ideas.

aldough dat be hella good. i'm down wi'dat yo :D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 04:08 PM
someone said something about Chipotle being a chain...and I don't think it was Moxie...but maybe...that wanker... :rolleyes:

helicopter ride?! :D

kwyjibo said it. it's owned by mcdonald's. not usually a good thing.

as far as i know, none in nyc.

who deleted my post? hm

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 04:21 PM

who deleted my post? hm

someone deleted your post?? hmm, such a blatant abuse of power ;) hehe. no idea mate.

hey, do you ever go to Josie Woods??? It's a pub on Waverly and Mercer, near you right??? or it was when you were at NYU eh?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 04:34 PM
someone deleted your post?? hmm, such a blatant abuse of power ;) hehe. no idea mate.

hey, do you ever go to Josie Woods??? It's a pub on Waverly and Mercer, near you right??? or it was when you were at NYU eh?

i think you already asked me. ;) i've heard the name. but haven't been there, nor do i pay much attention to pubs..

going to pubs seems relatively pointless when you don't drink. ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 04:37 PM
i think you already asked me. ;) i've heard the name. but haven't been there, nor do i pay much attention to pubs..

going to pubs seems relatively pointless when you don't drink. ;)

hmmm, yeah i probably have actually, sorry 'bout that.

haha, um, yeah, that would be a pretty pointless exercise, although i had a "meeting" in a pub recently with a bunch of my friends (all supporters of the same football (soccer) team) and i was drinking the heaviest stuff, and that was a shandy :rolleyes: for those that don't know, a shandy is half beer, half 7up/sprite
weird

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 04:44 PM
hmmm, yeah i probably have actually, sorry 'bout that.

no problem.

wasn't there something about one of your relatives owning it or something?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 05:10 PM

who deleted my post? hm

It might be owned by McDonald's but you'd not know it. The food is fresh and honestly, its the best burrito around.

I deleted spam, if that was your post, so be it. If it happens again, it will be deleted. It continues you'll be warned. If you require 3 warnings you'll get banned.

That's what you were trying, right? ;)

D

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 05:13 PM
no problem.

wasn't there something about one of your relatives owning it or something?

damn, i'm impressed. yeah, my stepmother's brother, so pretty much my uncle, owns it. :)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 05:14 PM
It might be owned by McDonald's but you'd not know it. The food is fresh and honestly, its the best burrito around.

I deleted spam, if that was your post, so be it. If it happens again, it will be deleted. It continues you'll be warned. If you require 3 warnings you'll get banned.

That's what you were trying, right? ;)

D

oh crap, i should've been banned long ago then :p ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 05:15 PM
somehow my joke about the situation is more spamlike than anyone else's...

"i'm gone for 15 mins...."

isn't spam.

mine is

fair enough.

the owner eh? would i get a free coke if i went there and said "hey, i know a limey name evoluzione!" hah

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 05:17 PM
the owner eh? would i get a free coke if i went there and said "hey, i know a limey name evoluzione!" hah

haha, nope, you'd probably get kicked out. you'd get a free drink if you were with me though, but yer not. :p

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 05:18 PM
a coke is a drink, no? ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 05:37 PM
haha, nope, you'd probably get kicked out. you'd get a free drink if you were with me though, but yer not. :p

well...we won't be anymore well-known to u in DC...but I'll let u buy me a drink... ;)

evoluzione
Jun 11, 2003, 05:38 PM
a coke is a drink, no? ;)

among other things yeah heh. what's yer point? i'm a li'l lost now

anyways, enough of the digression... :)

edit: damn, i need to get out of the office, and down the pub! heh

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 06:24 PM
Eye, one regular and one decaf (decaf for the wife) and I'll be buying you a drink or two....:D

j-lo: there's all sorts of spam - yours was inflammatory so it got removed. Nothing personal, you understand ;)

evo - don't forget to call you Father on Sunday. I think that makes me the first to remind you so I'll take a Guiness.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 06:51 PM
one reg...one decaf (if it's available)... ;)

evo...since you're takin' drink orders...I'll take a gin & tonic...

zed
Jun 11, 2003, 10:16 PM
you guysases are gonna have a great time. im still bitter that i missed the geek fest last year... especially since i live in NOLA now....... you guys have a safe and fun trip.

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 10:19 PM
we'll be updating everyone on the goings on... ;)

lots of photos...and I'm sure there will be intoxicated postings of sorts... :eek: :D

eyelikeart
Jun 12, 2003, 05:00 AM
:D he he...I'll be heading to the airport in a 30 mins...

D...I didn't have time to pick up the coffee last night with running around trying to get the father's day gift situation straight... :(

eyelikeart
Jun 12, 2003, 05:32 AM
Ralphie Boy!!!!!! :eek: :D ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 07:11 AM
D...I didn't have time to pick up the coffee last night with running around trying to get the father's day gift situation straight... :(

ah, oh, ok, well, uh, the car ran out of gas, I won't be able to pick you up at the air port.....

Don't worry, we'll make you suffer for it ;)

I'll be there, if the flights delayed give me a call if you can, otherwise I'll be looking out for you when you get out past security. Although with my badge I might be able to get down to the gate without a ticket. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that.

D

Moxiemike
Jun 12, 2003, 08:06 AM
ah, oh, ok, well, uh, the car ran out of gas, I won't be able to pick you up at the air port.....

Don't worry, we'll make you suffer for it ;)

I'll be there, if the flights delayed give me a call if you can, otherwise I'll be looking out for you when you get out past security. Although with my badge I might be able to get down to the gate without a ticket. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that.

D

Mr. Fancypants with his badge. ;)

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 08:11 AM

hahahahaha

oh, and the first one to remind me on Sunday gets the drink. and correct me if i'm wrong, for i may well be in my current state, but today ain't sunday :)

damn, i need coffeeeeeee.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 08:25 AM
Mr. Fancypants with his badge. ;)

I'm just lucky that I got a security badge - we've been working out of the hangar in General Aviation for over a year now.

And where do you think they keep the Blackhawk Helicopters I mentioned earlier....;)

4 of them.....

D

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 09:28 AM
I'm just lucky that I got a security badge - we've been working out of the hangar in General Aviation for over a year now.

And where do you think they keep the Blackhawk Helicopters I mentioned earlier....;)

4 of them.....

D

ooh ooh ooh, dude, we need a week to cram in all the stuff we wanna do

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 10:20 AM
ooh ooh ooh, dude, we need a week to cram in all the stuff we wanna do

Yah, understatement - that's why the weather plays a big role here. We'll see how things go and do what we can.

Regardless we're going to have a great time.

Picking eye up at the airport soon....I'll post a pic of him in the airport ;)

D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 12, 2003, 10:41 AM
ok. so we have a couple hours to take bets...

will he or will he not be wearing the freakish outfit seen below:

mischief
Jun 12, 2003, 11:52 AM
Don't feel TOO bad guys... The weather's been awful here too. 2 weeks of solid, colds ass gray days.

Oddly enough this is normal for June. The first few days of July are always clear by sunset though. ;)

Moxiemike
Jun 12, 2003, 12:09 PM

4 of them.....

D

I'm just teasing ya. ;)

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 12:44 PM
this time tomorrow........ woohoo!

bah, i was hoping to get a reimbursement of some expenses totally over $500 for the trip, but no go :(

time to go to plan B.......

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 03:22 PM
bah, i was hoping to get a reimbursement of some expenses totally over $500 for the trip, but no go :(

what?!? So you mean that you're not going to be able to buy us dinner and expense it? Damn, got to cancel all our reservations now......;)

Eye's here - its hot, we took a fast tour of Arlington and picked up the Spy Museum Tickets in DC - 10:00 AM Saturday - which means Zola's for lunch and drinks.

Got some good pics at the Iwo Jima and jumped the wall to get in the north side of Arlington Cemetery.

We're going set up a image site really fast for everyone to view the pics.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 12, 2003, 03:23 PM
he he he...

I didn't wear that costume...

but...

I got this little fella sitting here...staring at me...

photos will soon be posted... ;)

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 03:53 PM
I got this little fella sitting here...staring at me...

oo er. sounds decidedly dodgy to me mate :eek:

Mr. Anderson... everything's cool, put an invoice in at 1pm, and was able to get a check into the bank before 3pm, so first round is on me ;) just don't be picking the most expensive drink in the most expensive bar eh? :p

ok, The Taha/Dimitri thing is going down in a place called FIVE, which is literally 3 or 4 doors down from ESL.

oh, a friend of mine was telling me about this cuban place that she loves, in an area called hmm...um...A(something) Morgan? you know where i mean i'm sure.....

I have managed to procure a Nikon 5700 for the weekend, but unfortunately no video camera, yet. i'm still trying but it ain't looking likely i'm afraid...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 04:29 PM
oh, a friend of mine was telling me about this cuban place that she loves, in an area called hmm...um...A(something) Morgan? you know where i mean i'm sure.....

I have managed to procure a Nikon 5700 for the weekend, but unfortunately no video camera, yet. i'm still trying but it ain't looking likely i'm afraid...

Adams Morgan - pretty cool place, not as nice as it used to be 8 years ago when I used to go there often. What's the name of the Cuban place?

Don't worry about the video, it was just a thought.

Still haven't gotten any pics of Ralph....

D

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 04:33 PM
Adams Morgan - What's the name of the Cuban place?

that's the area, Adams Morgan. as for the name of the cuban place, she asked me to tell her if i found out, so, i have no idea :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 05:08 PM

ok, The Taha/Dimitri thing is going down in a place called FIVE, which is literally 3 or 4 doors down from ESL.

hey...eye here...D's busy setting up some web gallery stuff... ;)

So what time do the festivities begin? Any chance of seeing thievery there? :D

evoluzione
Jun 12, 2003, 05:11 PM
don't think so, i think they're touring right now, i'll see if i can find out though

Moxiemike
Jun 12, 2003, 05:50 PM
what?!? So you mean that you're not going to be able to buy us dinner and expense it? Damn, got to cancel all our reservations now......;)

Eye's here - its hot, we took a fast tour of Arlington and picked up the Spy Museum Tickets in DC - 10:00 AM Saturday - which means Zola's for lunch and drinks.

Got some good pics at the Iwo Jima and jumped the wall to get in the north side of Arlington Cemetery.

We're going set up a image site really fast for everyone to view the pics.

D

i know a good, simple PHP installable image gallery software we can set up

its' free.....

check out www.mikemancini.com/fotos

szark
Jun 12, 2003, 06:06 PM
That looks like a pretty good PHP gallery script -- I may use that on my site instead of building one from scratch.

Have fun guys! Wish I was there... :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 11:42 PM
Here they are, a collaborative effort - mostly shot on eye's camera.

http://www.gone3d.com/geekfest

We had a rare night in Old Town, a huge storm came through making everything nice and wet - good reflections.....

Enjoy! :D

D

Hey...eye again...

that kewpie...he kept following us around...wanting to get in the photos...drinking our booze... :rolleyes:

evoluzione
Jun 13, 2003, 06:15 AM
awesome

what a night eh, i was driving last night and the whole sky was illuminated, so so bright, very eerie to see the lightning and then everything is dark again, very beautiful though, wish i had the camera at the ready.

anyways, good to see some quality time spent down the pub :)

i'll be there in 5 hours!!! DC that is, not the pub. that'll be 5 and a half hours ;)

seeya soon fellas!!!!!!

zed
Jun 13, 2003, 06:54 AM
awesome!

you should have the kewpie doll hiding in the background of some of the shots... maybe with just his head sticking out or something ;) or maybe have him doing some sort of mundane task in the background. That may be harder though seeing as he doesnt seem very flexible.

Anyway, you guys got some awesome shots though :) keep it up! i remember last geek fest it took us what 2 months to get to see any photos... and now we get them on the first night :cool: ;)

pivo6
Jun 13, 2003, 07:08 AM
The Day 1 pictures look great, especially the Ralph as action figure ones. Can't wait to see day 2.