PDA

View Full Version : curious...

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 04:16 PM
I'm noticing that my 1GHz iMac is severely bogging down, seems slower than my 667 TiBook.

I checked out the terminal to see what's doing what...can someone explain why F@H is showing up 3 times?

rainman::|:|
Jun 8, 2003, 04:52 PM
Well i can't tell you why... But does that happen whenever you start up? (assuming you have scripts to run it automatically in background)... If you kill two of them, do they come back? God knows, they probably have already downloaded workunits or something (hopefully not all working on the same one!) but if you can get it back down to one, it should resolve itself eventually... Hopefully it's just a fluke...

pnw

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 05:00 PM
I have it set to run at startup, but have had a few instances where my DSL connection failed & it got cut off. When that's happened, I go into terminal & type the "fold" command to bring it back up. Could this be the cause?

MrMacMan
Jun 8, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I have it set to run at startup, but have had a few instances where my DSL connection failed & it got cut off. When that's happened, I go into terminal & type the "fold" command to bring it back up. Could this be the cause?

Yes, you easiler are slowing your folding, by allottt..

Kill two of the 'younger' folding processes.

Ouch.

rainman::|:|
Jun 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

The script might automatically do this after a certain period of time, resulting in the duplicate processes. Try letting it go the next time you get cut off, see if it doesn't start running again by itself eventually...

btw, if fold is the command to start folding, what's the command to stop? anyone know? i'm not very good with thise whole setup, i have it running as a background process but for some games (emulators mostly) it screws it up, so i'm forced to kill the process... which can't be good for it...

pnw

eyelikeart
Jun 8, 2003, 07:59 PM
Ok...so I killed 2 of the processes. My iMac's not running like it's dragging 100lbs of crap any longer. :D

I would like to know how the hell I ended up with 3 processes, even though it was only showing 1 in my F@H folder? :confused:

MrMacMan
Jun 8, 2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
The script might automatically do this after a certain period of time, resulting in the duplicate processes. Try letting it go the next time you get cut off, see if it doesn't start running again by itself eventually...

btw, if fold is the command to start folding, what's the command to stop? anyone know? i'm not very good with thise whole setup, i have it running as a background process but for some games (emulators mostly) it screws it up, so i'm forced to kill the process... which can't be good for it...

pnw

Aint it 'Stop' ;)
'Fold' -- Go
'Stop' -- uh, stop...

F@H folder don't mean a thing you had the 'app' running 3 times...

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
F@H folder don't mean a thing you had the 'app' running 3 times...

ok...so explain to me how it was running 3 times then!

mc68k
Jun 9, 2003, 02:06 AM
u have 3 cores running-- the commands start OSX-3.2x which spawn the core(s) by themselves. the stop command stops OSX-3.2x which in turn kills the core(s). so the script only messes with the actual app and not the cores themselves.

so i'm thinking this isn't the fault of my scripts but something going awry with the program somewhere.

the crontab entry is prefixed with @reboot and is guaranteed to run only once. subsequent invokations of folding with an automated command should have one OSX... to every FAHCore... and in your case it's a 3:1 ratio.

to get a listing of commands for your version type alias at a terminal prompt and see what comes up. if i remember correctly i changed some of the commands between versions and i saw u had 3.24 running.

i'm not sure what running more than one core for one app does; so in the future if this problem recurs, i would kill anythjing to do with folding b4 restarting it again.

happy folding :)

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the explanations mc68k. I didn't think there was something goofy going on with your script, as I thought it had something to do with my giving the "fold" command anytime it was cut off not by me. In the future, I'll have to keep track of it more carefully to make sure it's not running more than once. ;)

I checked the current working, and it seems to be running fine (even after killing two instances of the program running). :)

MrMacMan
Jun 9, 2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
u have 3 cores running-- the commands start OSX-3.2x which spawn the core(s) by themselves. the stop command stops OSX-3.2x which in turn kills the core(s). so the script only messes with the actual app and not the cores themselves.

so i'm thinking this isn't the fault of my scripts but something going awry with the program somewhere.

the crontab entry is prefixed with @reboot and is guaranteed to run only once. subsequent invokations of folding with an automated command should have one OSX... to every FAHCore... and in your case it's a 3:1 ratio.

to get a listing of commands for your version type alias at a terminal prompt and see what comes up. if i remember correctly i changed some of the commands between versions and i saw u had 3.24 running.

i'm not sure what running more than one core for one app does; so in the future if this problem recurs, i would kill anythjing to do with folding b4 restarting it again.

happy folding :)
This is what I get when I do ratio
[Jeremiah-Bornemanns-Computer:~] jeremiahbornemann% alias
rid ~/.rid
start cd ~/F@H1; ./OSX-3.25 -local -advmethods&
stop killall OSX-3.25
work ~/.work
[Jeremiah-Bornemanns-Computer:~] jeremiahbornemann%

Good, bad?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 9, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by mc68k

a nerd's worst nightmare... when their program is actually at fault....