PDA

View Full Version : Some PS2 Questions

TMA
Jun 8, 2003, 05:12 PM
Heya,

I'm thinking about splashing out on a Playstation 2, considering they're pretty cheap now and have a huge selection of games. I have a few questions before I decide and wondered if anyone could help me out.

I read something about a 'green screen' (some kind of anti DVD piracy) effect if you try to watch a DVD on the PS2 via Scart or RF. Is this true? One of the biggest bonuses for buying a PS2 for me is the DVD player but not if it turns out I can't use it with my TV (only has SCART + RF sockets)

Does the Playstation include an RF or SCART Lead in the box? If not could I just use the scart lead from my Video or DVD player or have Sony made it so you must buy one of their wierdo custom cables?

Some clarification over the cables would be greatly appreciated.

What is the DVD playback quality like?

How often (if at all) does the PS2 crash during game play/watching a movie?

During game play, are the graphics constantly smooth or do frame rates sometimes drop so that you'd notice?

When playing Audio CD's can you get the funky visuals like you used to be able to on the PSX?

Can anyone in the UK suggest a good deal? The best i've found is Amazon doing the PS2 + 1 Free game for 149 but I don't think this includes delivery.

Cheers in advance!

WinterMute
Jun 8, 2003, 05:25 PM
I run my PS2 directly into the scart in my Tosh tv via the componant audio/video cable that came with the box I think, the green screen only occours down the RF as I understand it.

I've never had the PS2 crash on a DVD, and have only once crashed it with a game, I've had it for a year and it's chipped.

DVD quality is plenty good enough, considering it's not a dedicated system, it doesn't look as good as my mates Sony (400), but he's also got a better tv.

I haven't noticed any framerate slowdown, and I play some fairly graphic intensive stuff (Q3, The getaway, RedFaction 2 etc.)

I don't play CD's on it, sorry.

Try Woolworths, no, honest, they had some great deals last year:D :D

dynamicd
Jun 8, 2003, 05:40 PM
I've had the ps2 since it came out here in the U.S. The DVD quality is farely good. The framerate really depends on the game, but I usually don't see any drag and definitely not while playing movies. As far as visuals for playing cd's goes, all you see is a little cube rotating. Nothing special at all but it shouldn't dictate whether or not you buy the system at all.

iJon
Jun 8, 2003, 05:54 PM
RF is the coaxial connection isnt it? if it then it will work fine, or at least it does at my house.

iJon

TMA
Jun 9, 2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! :) I think they've pushed me in the right direction, though I don't think my bank balance will agree.

Cheers for the Woolworths tip WinterMute, I had a look today and they do have some good offers. I'll probably get one from them or from Game (they do a nice driving bundle)

Also I came across an interesting product that claims to allow you to play PS2 games at higher resolution via a computer monitor. Here is the link: http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_54&products_id=271
Can anyone comment on that?

jxyama
Jun 9, 2003, 04:00 PM
interesting... boosting ps2 resolution for vga.

i've been spoiled by component video with digital optical audio, so...

when you can afford one, get a tv with a component input. it will make a world of difference in graphics. (much better than s-video.) rf is really terrible, even compared to composite.

if you ever get around to getting a better tv, remember to plug the ps2's output directly to tv. if you sandwich a vcr, the dvd playback will be distorted.

good: ps2 -[composite]-> tv
bad: ps2 -[composite]-> vcr -[rf]-> tv