Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
How do you fill an 8character string with a string plus a certain character to finish it off?

eg. fooxxxxx, georgexxx, macsxxxx, monkeyxx.

I remember doing it before but can't remember how.. :(

Cheers,

George

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Code:
public static String padString(String inputString, char padding, int length)
{
StringBuffer toReturn = new StringBuffer(inputString);
while (toReturn.length()<length)
{
toReturn.append(padding);
}
return toReturn.toString();
}

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
robbieduncan said:
Code:
public static String padString(String inputString, char padding, int length)
{
StringBuffer toReturn = new StringBuffer(inputString);
while (toReturn.length()<length)
{
toReturn.append(padding);
}
return toReturn.toString();
}

Or you could use robbieduncan's method...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Or you could use robbieduncan's method...

Which I haven't tested :eek: I just typed it into the reply box. If I was wanting to do this then that's how I'd implement it though. Should be about as efficient as it can be and is flexible enough.

I wasn't sure what the intended behaviour should be if the string is longer than length though so I left that unaltered. I'd imagine that it should trim the string to be a maximum of length characters long but maybe not?

Edit to add: there is a more efficient option if you are going to call this lots (thousands at least) of times. That would be to pre-generate some padding strings of various lengths (say 2,4,8,16) and use them to call append less. This would only be worth it if: 1) the character you pad with doesn't change much (or at all) 2) you are padding short strings into big lengths a lot (otherwise the lookup costs to get the best padding string would probably outweigh the additional times round the loop)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OK I am trying to put of doing actual stuff! So I decided to test my theory about caching the padding being faster. The attached java file (zipped) lets you test this. My findings are: for 8 character strings it's a bit faster, for 40 character strings the caching methods takes around 1/3 of the time!

Have fun and don't submit this as your homework :D

Attachments

• StringPadding.java.zip
    991 bytes · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.