Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Hello all. I recently purchased a Samsung ML-2510 laserjet printer to go with my Mac Pro. The printer itself works wonderfully. It's fast, and the print quality is artistic.

However, once I installed Samsung's drivers, it included something called iSmart Panel. It starts up every time I boot the system, yet is not neccessary when actually printing things.

After toying with it a bit, it seems to be a useful tool for checking on my printer should there ever be a problem. However, I do not want it to boot up every freaking time I start the OS. The prefs within the program don't offer any way to disable its automatic startup. Is there another way I can disable this?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Is there another way I can disable this?
There might be another way, and I dunno if it'll even be here but it's worth a shot...

System Preferences> Accounts> Login Items

I hope this can be of some help. :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 150

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Hey, thanks for the tip, but it's not listed in there!

This thing continues to confound me!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hmm, are you running 10.4? If so, can you use Spotlight to find that file/ app?

:eek: I'm no good at this... maybe I should let someone else try to help you. :eek:

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I found it in the library/printers section, but I'm a little timid about deleting it. With Windoze, I could always just move one file to deactivate the whole mess and see what happened, then fix it if there was a problem. With this wonderful location-insensitive OS, if I move it, won't Tiger just find it and launch it anyway? Can I move it to the trash but not delete it?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I also have a Samsung laser with the same annoying piece of software. I didn't manage to deactivate it either. Its highly annoying. For some reason, the longer you leave it running, the more RAM it chews up. I think at some point it was occupying close to 500MB! Completely ridiculous. I'm guessing Samsung didn't think about putting a deactivation option in it somewhere :rolleyes: Luckily I rarely reboot my system...

crarcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
It has been awhile now but I think the way I got rid of it was to uninstall all the drivers and programs and then when I re-installed stuff I did not re-install that program.

I checked I have it in an app folder but it does not load at start-up.

Hope that helps

John V

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
It has been awhile now but I think the way I got rid of it was to uninstall all the drivers and programs and then when I re-installed stuff I did not re-install that program.

I checked I have it in an app folder but it does not load at start-up.

Hope that helps

John V

Problem with removing it is that its a pretty essential part of the printer. Because some of the samsung printers don't have a display, this piece of software gives you all the messages you'd normally read from the printer display. Removing it would thus be problematic. Easiest solution so far is just letting it load upon booting and then close it once you're up and running.

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Problem with removing it is that its a pretty essential part of the printer. Because some of the samsung printers don't have a display, this piece of software gives you all the messages you'd normally read from the printer display. Removing it would thus be problematic. Easiest solution so far is just letting it load upon booting and then close it once you're up and running.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing up until now. I guess the future calls for more of the same.

zlguocius

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
Earth
I got a Samsung CLP-300 personal color laser printer in January 07, and I've been having the exact same problem as Doctor Saurez--the iSmartPanel that will not go away. Every time I turn the computer on, the first thing I have to do is quit that stupid program.

I've had the printer for almost three months--why am I finally only now complaining about this stupid piece of software?

Because now the printer is broken (makes lots of clacking noises and refuses to print anything grey-scale), and the iSmartPanel is of no help at all either in fixing the problem (all the help section does is explain the various error messages, and my problem has no associated error message) or in going away permanently.

Anywho, Samsung has joined my venerable "I hate you" tech companies list, right after Microsoft and Dell. Congrats!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I got a Samsung CLP-300 personal color laser printer in January 07, and I've been having the exact same problem as Doctor Saurez--the iSmartPanel that will not go away. Every time I turn the computer on, the first thing I have to do is quit that stupid program.

I've had the printer for almost three months--why am I finally only now complaining about this stupid piece of software?

Because now the printer is broken (makes lots of clacking noises and refuses to print anything grey-scale), and the iSmartPanel is of no help at all either in fixing the problem (all the help section does is explain the various error messages, and my problem has no associated error message) or in going away permanently.

Anywho, Samsung has joined my venerable "I hate you" tech companies list, right after Microsoft and Dell. Congrats!

Mine (also a clp-300) also gave up a few weeks ago. It would stop printing after 6-7 pages and give me a toner supply error and there was a band on the left of the paper that was very faded.

I called Samsung and they immediately dispatched a repair dude that came to my house, replaced the fuser unit (which makes up the vast majority of the inside of the printer) and was gone again within 30 mins. Seems to work great again now.

Samsung is a good company and generally makes reliable products. I highly recommend you call them and get your issue resolved. You're still under warranty so I unless you did something to cause the problem I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for you.

zlguocius

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
Earth
Mine (also a clp-300) also gave up a few weeks ago. It would stop printing after 6-7 pages and give me a toner supply error and there was a band on the left of the paper that was very faded.

I called Samsung and they immediately dispatched a repair dude that came to my house, replaced the fuser unit (which makes up the vast majority of the inside of the printer) and was gone again within 30 mins. Seems to work great again now.

Samsung is a good company and generally makes reliable products. I highly recommend you call them and get your issue resolved. You're still under warranty so I unless you did something to cause the problem I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for you.

An update on my situation with the CLP-300. After reading mfacey's post I decided to call Samsung's customer support. They were very friendly on the phone, but it took three phone calls and two shipped parts (and one returned part) before the printer now works again, finally.

I made the first tech support call on March 26, 2007. Received the first replacement part on April 3, 2007, which didn't work. Called the same day and was told to try another fix. Didn't work and called back the next day, April 4, 2007. They ordered another replacement part for me, which arrived on April 16, 2007. That one works. So, it took about three weeks, but I now have a basically refurbished replacement printer for the brand new but broken one I bought.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, mfacey. Turns out the customer support folks were pretty helpful. I'm still put off Samsung though; I think I'll stick with HP printers from now on.

eboxhead

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2007
Got it!

New to the forum, and i figure i'd at least make my first post good.

so . . . in ~library/printers/SmartPanel there is a script called iLaunchSP.

Trash it! This is the first time in the three months after buying my CPL-300 that it hasnt booted at startup, and the printer works fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.