PDA

View Full Version : Display Problems with PMG4 Sawtooth + 50" 1080p HDTV

Geoff Myers
Mar 21, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hey. I've got a cheap 350 MHz Power Mac G4 Sawtooth (AGP graphics) with some pretty low specs. 320 MB RAM, Rage 128 with 16 MB VRAM (driving an HDTV :p), 10 GB HD. Anyways, I'm planning on making a Sony 50" LCD HDTV the primary display @ 1080p. I mostly want to do some web browsing and play DivX files (which actually works pretty well given the poor graphics card). I don't need a bigger hard drive because the files are on DVDs and CDs. I've overclocked the graphics card by 25% so far with ATIcellerator 2 and I'm thinking of overclocking the CPU by 50 or 100 MHz too (what do you think? should I add an extra fan?). To my amazement, it actually plays DivX-encoded video fairly well and I'm hoping this will be a [really] cheap temporary replacement for an Apple TV or Mac mini setup (I'm saving up for the next generation MacBook Pro right now). And I have thought about noise from the fans disturbing watching video.

The main problem is when I boot up the machine, I see the white and gray apple boot screen, but then the screen goes black after that and it doesn't load the desktop or anything after that no matter what I seem to do. What's up? I've zapped the PRAM and tried command + F2 to detect displays, but nothing happens. It's connected via DVI to HDMI adapter. The graphics card is obviously capable of that resolution. The TV also has an inferior VGA port, which I tried alternatively to the DVI to HDMI adapter. It worked perfectly, but, of course, I would like the digital quality if possible.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance! :)

princealfie
Mar 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
I would try test it with a regular LCD display and see whether it works. If not, the overclocking is causing the problems. Evidently this will be more problematic if you try to get the signal to a larger display (despite same resolution) since it will suck up more resources from the graphics card.

Overclocking graphics card can work but you always risk overheating the sucker.