PDA

View Full Version : evanescence fans: does anyone have an instrumental version of "bring me to life"?

janey
Jun 8, 2003, 07:41 PM
...i need one without amy singing the words preferably by wednesday, the sooner the better...
thanks in advance :p

(there isn't one on the evanescence cd is there?)

applemacdude
Jun 8, 2003, 10:26 PM
Just instrumental or Midi?

job
Jun 8, 2003, 10:47 PM
Slightly related:

I've heard that they are not very good live. Does anyone know anything about that?

applemacdude
Jun 8, 2003, 10:53 PM
Well once she sang on a radio station here in the sf bay area and she sounded to diffrent, her voice id probaly altered or something

MrMacMan
Jun 8, 2003, 11:28 PM
I LOATHE THAT SONG, OVER PLAYIED ARHHR

szark
Jun 8, 2003, 11:43 PM
Haven't seen one, and there isn't one on the CD.

I LOVE that song. (but it is overplayed) :D

janey
Jun 9, 2003, 12:10 AM
evanescence on radio:
http://www.dc101.com/elliot/downloads.php?mode=view&tile=1&id=8767789

i don't care if it's instrumental or midi, as long as i can get my hands on a copy :p

Mac til death
Jun 9, 2003, 12:33 AM
their drummer was in a band called Living Sacrifice... check them out... :)

he played lead guitar.

szark
Jun 9, 2003, 12:47 AM
Found a couple MIDI versions, but both require you to post to their forum in order to download it for free:

http://board.midibuddy.net/t46722.html

http://www.cybermidi.com/affiliate.php?affiliateno=4 (scroll down to bottom)

mrjamin
Jun 9, 2003, 07:10 AM
i can probably strip the vocals out of the album version, but it'll sound pretty lousy and you'll lose the stereo image, plus you'll get any reverb on the vocals. Hmm, thinking about it, you'll probably lose the bass drum and any other instruments that are in the centre of the stereo image.

A last resort methinks

[edit: not even worthwhile as alast resort, sounds terrible]

scem0
Jun 9, 2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by job
Slightly related:

I've heard that they are not very good live. Does anyone know anything about that?

you probably heard that from me, because I've said it twice on MacRumors I think. http://www.my-smileys.de/bored.gif

I saw them on Jay Leno, and she was bouncing around the stagehttp://www.my-smileys.de/bounce4.gif, and you just plain can't sing well when your bouncing around the stage, so she sucked. But maybe if she stood still she could sing better. But I must say, she sounded WAY different.http://www.my-smileys.de/crap.gif

But Evanescence is still one of my favorite bands. I really don't care what she sounds like live because I never plan on seeing a concert of hers.;)

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 08:55 AM
She's a pretty face and perfect for MTV but i'm sick of this lame nu-metal that's out nowadays.

I mean, come on... metal died when Poison stopped making hits.

BUt I have seen them live and they suck. You know who else sucked live but made good records?

Milli Vanilli. And we remember what happened to them. ;)

mrjamin
Jun 9, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I mean, come on... metal died when Poison stopped making hits.

i agree - numetal is largely overproduced tosh. There are, however, some great 'metal' bands out there still - like Tool and Deftones. They're both bands who've been crowned as the fathers of numetal - and they're both bands who are ashamed to have been labelled as such. I remember seeing the deftones a few years ago when numetal was just starting out. Chineo (vocalist) had a copy of NME or something (it had papa roach on the front), he spat on it, kicked it accross the stage then said he was ashamed to be stated as an influence to numetal.

Despite all that, i quite like the Bring me to life single, but as nothing more than a pop track. Someone's going to say its not pop, but think about it, its popular, its at number one in the uk therefore pop. C'mon, my 15yr old sister has it next to her J-Lo cd.

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
i agree - numetal is largely overproduced tosh. There are, however, some great 'metal' bands out there still - like Tool and Deftones. They're both bands who've been crowned as the fathers of numetal - and they're both bands who are ashamed to have been labelled as such. I remember seeing the deftones a few years ago when numetal was just starting out. Chineo (vocalist) had a copy of NME or something (it had papa roach on the front), he spat on it, kicked it accross the stage then said he was ashamed to be stated as an influence to numetal.

Despite all that, i quite like the Bring me to life single, but as nothing more than a pop track. Someone's going to say its not pop, but think about it, its popular, its at number one in the uk therefore pop. C'mon, my 15yr old sister has it next to her J-Lo cd.

The thing about metal that always bothered me was the pile driver approach it took.

Reminds me of a bull in a china shop. There's really not much that's smooth or sophisticated about it.

I mean, ANYONE can learn a bunch of guitar modes, speed them up, and become Steve Vai.

And numetal is a weird amalgamation of grunge and metal, so it really lacks any of the "grace" (if there was much) with old metal.

That said, I'm more into music that is subtle-- Thievery Corporation, Buena Vista Social Club, Cocteau Twins.... et.al.

If you wanna hear some REALLY evil metallic guitars, listen to the bombast that is "group four" by massive attack. The guitars are heavier than anything Limp Biscuit or their peers could produce. ;)

This is the type of music that makes me really believe the band i'm working on has a chance to do something more than sign to an indie label and toil in relative obscurity. :)

job
Jun 9, 2003, 10:14 AM
[quote]And numetal is a weird amalgamation of grunge and metal, so it really lacks any of the "grace" (if there was much) with old metal.

I dunno about that.

Listen to 'Digital Bath' or 'Minerva' both from the Deftones. I'd say that some really good hard rock right there. I also don't think the term 'nu-metal' fits the Deftones, Korn, Tool, Audioslave, or any good hard rock band.

'Nu-metal' just makes me think of Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park....which just makes me cring.

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by job
I dunno about that.

Listen to 'Digital Bath' or 'Minerva' both from the Deftones. I'd say that some really good hard rock right there. I also don't think the term 'nu-metal' fits the Deftones, Korn, Tool, Audioslave, or any good hard rock band.

'Nu-metal' just makes me think of Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park....which just makes me cring.

Even so, I don't see the grace or composition skills even with Korn, Tool, or any of those guys as I did with, say, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin or even say, the Yardbirds. Or early bowie.

And I definitely don't see any shelf life to LB or LP. They're like, interchangeable bunk. And Dread Dirst is a pathetic character. hehe

job
Jun 9, 2003, 10:30 AM
Even so, I don't see the grace or composition skills even with Korn, Tool, or any of those guys as I did with, say, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin or even say, the Yardbirds. Or early bowie.

I'll drink to that.

But I also think the average music consumer has changed. People who buy Limp Crap and Linkin Park are, IMO, just trying to be cool by buying the latest hyped flash-in-the-pan album. I don't think that they are really interested in actual composition or musical skills(! Imagine that ! :p). The few people who actually look for skill in music, like us, have very few good hard rock bands to choose from. Sad, really.

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by job
I'll drink to that.

But I also think the average music consumer has changed. People who buy Limp Crap and Linkin Park are, IMO, just trying to be cool by buying the latest hyped flash-in-the-pan album. I don't think that they are really interested in actual composition or musical skills(! Imagine that ! :p). The few people who actually look for skill in music, like us, have very few good hard rock bands to choose from. Sad, really.

Exactly. Which is why I look to say, the 60's as inspiration. The beatles were a teeny bopper band. But they wrote cross-demographic songs.

As far as modern pop, I will say I think the Justin Timberlake album is incredibly well produced and well written-- but it doesn't have that cross appeal that the beatles had.

Plus, i think that people nowadays are ok with being cliché with guitar playing. I mean, NO ONE has done anything truly revolutionary with guitar sounds since "Loveless' by My Bloody Valentine in 1992.

Which is why I think synths and samples are really the future and the "next wave" moreso than ever before.

i think that combing elements of techno, hip hop, world beat and pop/rock in the vain of massive attack, portishead, etc is gonna really take off soon.

We;re due for a musical revolution. :)

mrjamin
Jun 9, 2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by job

damn right, although i'm not a huge korn fan. Saw deftones last week and they kicked ass.

Originally posted by job

Ditto. I do have to admit to a brief fling with nu-metal, then i realised how crap it was. It's more correctly labelled as nu-pop.

Deftones/Tool/Audioslave/RATM are all quite unique and have a very distinctive sound (well, audioslave vs ratm is arguable since they're 75% the same band, but chris cornell is pretty distinctive), whereas nu-metal is very similar. evanescence might as well be linkin park with a woman singing, i'll stop there!

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by mrjamin
damn right, although i'm not a huge korn fan. Saw deftones last week and they kicked ass.

Ditto. I do have to admit to a brief fling with nu-metal, then i realised how crap it was. It's more correctly labelled as nu-pop.

Deftones/Tool/Audioslave/RATM are all quite unique and have a very distinctive sound (well, audioslave vs ratm is arguable since they're 75% the same band, but chris cornell is pretty distinctive), whereas nu-metal is very similar. evanescence might as well be linkin park with a woman singing, i'll stop there!

It's like Linkin Park meets garbage and i'd take shirley manson and her evil stares and hot boots, as well as a sultry voice, any day! :)

job
Jun 9, 2003, 10:53 AM
It's like Linkin Park meets garbage and i'd take shirley manson and her evil stares and hot boots, as well as a sultry voice, any day! :)

Mmmmm...shirley manson..... :D ;) hehehehe

I've wanted to pick up their 'BeautifulGarbage' LP. Any recommendations? I've got 'Version 2.0' with a special edition live CD.

Moxiemike
Jun 9, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by job
Mmmmm...shirley manson..... :D ;) hehehehe

I've wanted to pick up their 'BeautifulGarbage' LP. Any recommendations? I've got 'Version 2.0' with a special edition live CD.

beautiful garbage is pretty good. Reminds me of Morcheeba in points. hehe

scem0
Jun 9, 2003, 02:50 PM
Well, I like nu-metal. Fred Durst is bad, but limp bizkit is good. You can listen to CSFATHDFW once without it becomming annoying. Linkin Park is a great band, but all their annoying/bad songs get famous. I hated them till I listened to the whole Hybrid Theory CD, instead of In the End. Ugh I hate that song. Drowning Pool was a great band until the lead singer died :(. Unloco, Ill Nino, and Linkin Park are some nu-metal bands that have certainly made some awesome songs.

Tequila Grandma
Jun 9, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by job
Deftones, Korn, Tool, Audioslave, or any good hard rock band.
Korn, Tool, and Audioslave = NOT good :D

Deftones are merely okay. They're tolerable, and are a band I can halfway respect, but I think their music only seems good when it's being compared to other far inferior modern acts.

All the nu-metal bands, like Linkin Park, Evanescence, etc. are, of course, incredibly crappy. To me, it's as if it's not even real music. Sort of like someone trying to do an impression of real music, and failing miserably. I get no kind of mood or feeling listening to most modern popular rock music -- it's all just annoying noise to me.

Arigato,
Brook

scem0
Jun 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
I don't get a surge of emotions either when listening to nu-metal songs.... but that's not while I listen to them. I listen to them just because they are relatively good to sing along to and they don't put you to sleep.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

janey
Jun 9, 2003, 07:10 PM
thanx for your help guys...
it's about time i play with protools, so i'm gonna try removing the stuff i dont like :p

anneleonard
Jun 10, 2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by job

I heard them do a live session on Radio one (UK) and I was shocked at how out of tune you could sing with just an acoustic guitar! :eek: She must have to use a lot of audiotuning to her voice in recording. The guitarist sounded really bad too, just a three-chord-wonder guy. Pity coz i do really like the single.

Listen for yourself here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/media/g2/whiley/live_lounge/evanescence_life_jun03.ram)