Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott182

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Madison, WI
I have a standard def 4:3 TV that has a 16:9 mode. If it can display progressive scan from a DVD Player, is there any reason why it wouldn't work via component inputs from the Apple TV? Apple claims it supports 480p on enhanced definition TVs.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I have a standard def 4:3 TV that has a 16:9 mode. If it can display progressive scan from a DVD Player, is there any reason why it wouldn't work via component inputs from the Apple TV? Apple claims it supports 480p on enhanced definition TVs.

You have basicly the minium required. =)

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Will AppleTV connect to a 480i SD TV ? I am in the process of moving, and I won't get access to my HD TV for at least another 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I wanted to play around with the AppleTV at the corp apartment.

Damn, I was so looking forward to tomorrow.

allenmertes

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2005
South Bend, IN
Will AppleTV connect to a 480i SD TV ? I am in the process of moving, and I won't get access to my HD TV for at least another 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I wanted to play around with the AppleTV at the corp apartment.

Damn, I was so looking forward to tomorrow.

I don't think so, but I really want to know as well. Please let us know once you get yours hooked up. :)

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Just look on the back of your TV, look at this:
gallery-big-02.jpg

And compare and contrast hookups. :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Just look on the back of your TV, look at this:
gallery-big-02.jpg

And compare and contrast hookups. :)

My TV has compsosite cables, but no 480p, also can have 16:9(cuts off some of the screen but I'd live)

So you think I can use it? Tomorrow Im going to see if my DVD player has PScan, and if it works on my TV

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
My TV has compsosite cables, but no 480p, also can have 16:9(cuts off some of the screen but I'd live)

So you think I can use it? Tomorrow Im going to see if my DVD player has PScan, and if it works on my TV

No, progressive scan on an SDTV is only available through component cable (red green blue). That's the minimum requirement for :apple: tv. Composite video/S-Video can only do 480i and :apple: tv doesn't seem to look like it has any Composite video/S-Video outputs.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just looked at the back of the TV here and I see component connections. It will be interesting to see if it works.

I will post an update tomorrow when I try it out. I won't be able to test it until after work.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

If you have component inputs, can do 480p and have a 16:9 mode (to letterbox anamorphic content) then yes it will work.

Mine has the component inputs and can display 480p. However I don't have the 16:9 mode and neither does the :apple:TV, so until Apple releases a firmware update I'm vertically compressing my DVDs so that they look when the :apple:TV displays them. If it's 720x304, I compress to 720x224, etc. I still get a anamorphic menus, photos and all but at least the movies are ok. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.