Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwardlanti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
new york city
Hey guys I have a 12'' powerbook 1.5 ghz with just 512ram...If I upgraded lets to 1.25gb would i see a huge difference? someone is selling a kingston brand 1gb on craigslist...this is the model KVR333SO/1GR....would that be compatible? thanks in advanced

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The KVR RAM is not guaranteed by Kingston to be Mac compatible, it is the correct nominal spec and may or may not work. There are widespread reports of Kingston ValueRAM not working in various G4 Powerbooks. Your risk, if you go ahead. Of course there's no warranty from your craigslist seller. Don't spend more than you are willing to lose, esp. as there are lots of good online dealers for Mac RAM such as OWC and Data Memory Systems

How much of a difference it makes depends entirely on what you are doing with your machine. If all you do is use Mail and TextEdit, you probably won't see a difference at all. However if like most people you run multiple programs and regularly break the 512 Mb barrier, then upping the RAM will remove the slowdown that goes along with swapping memory on and off the hard drive. The harder you use your machine, the more benefit you;ll see from the upgrade.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I upped the RAM in my G4 PB and noticed less beachballs as I was going over the 512mb limit fairly frequently. The biggest difference is with multi tasking as it copes better with swapping between open applications.

I'd have a look at the Activity Monitor and see what your page outs look like and how much memory you're using when you're doing the kind of stuff you normally do. That should tell you whether you'd get any benefit.

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
If you do anything but the most basic tasks you should see a huge improvement moving from 512MB to 1.25GB. I know I did. When I get my new MacBook it will have 2 GB but truthfully, for most people the biggest increase is probably going to be found going from 512MB to 1GB (or, on the 12" PowerBook, to 1.25GB).

I would buy RAM that is guaranteed to work with your specific model. If you are in the US an example of a good place to buy RAM is here.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Hopefully I can tie this up as I have both your exact model of powerbook and 1gb of Kingston Value RAM in it.

First, yes, you will almost certainly see an improvement in overall responsiveness of OS X. Even running safari for more than 10 minutes seems to max out 512Mb. I highly suggest going for 1.25gb as it will prolong the life of that beautiful little, last-of-its-breed powerbook.

Second, steer clear of the kingston RAM in this model. I sent one stick back after a week of use and I have been getting more and more memory errors in the recent months with this stick. Saving $20 is not worth the hassle of an unstable OS.

Best of luck.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
Yes, you will see a big difference.

I went from 768 to 1.25 in my PBook and it seems to speed up everything. Just recently my gig stick died and I had to go back to 768 for a week while I waited for a replacement ... it was HORRIBLE. You really get used to the extra speed with multiple aps open.

I wouldn't get that RAM unless it was less than $50 and I was willing to gamble on it. I've had bad luck with no-name or non-certified memory ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it'll work fine for 2 months and THEN crap out. A brand new stick from crucial (purchased through newegg for less than the original vendor, go figure) only runs about $120, and has warranties etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.