Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has opened a section on their website dedicated to the new Apple TV and issued a press release today.

appletvapple_300.png

The tech specs page provide some additional details:

Video:
- H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps. Maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps
- MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps. Maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps

Photos:
- JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG

Apple also posted a Quicktime VR for those who can't wait for unboxing photos. Meanwhile, Mossberg's review claims that the Apple TV uses a "modified version of the Mac operating system", which was not previously known.

MakGeek

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
No cables included? Doesn't bode well for the old plug and play adage. If this is supposed to appeal to the masses they better at least include some cheap cables.

alec

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Washington DC
Looking good except the limitation of format files -- how long must I sit on my comp and convert DIVX's, etc. for this thing?

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Looking good except the limitation of format files -- how long must I sit on my comp and convert DIVX's, etc. for this thing?

Why bother with DivX anymore? Any reason besides pirating? This is a serious question, not a sarcastic one. I've struggled to find an evenly remotely legitmate source of DivX files.

Anyway, Apple is ignoring DivX as there is really no good reason to pay for the license other than to please .001% of their potential market.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
No cables included? Doesn't bode well for the old plug and play adage. If this is supposed to appeal to the masses they better at least include some cheap cables.

What I would like to see is the ability for the AppleTV to play the super cool iTunes Visualizer on my 42" plasma TV.

Yes.....all the above and a bit more.
I am quite underwhelmed by this product.
I don't get the point of it :confused:
I can't play any of my dvd's or other content.
Only iTunes stuff and my photo album etc........

Or have I missed something?

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Base station required?

Wonder if this thing will talk DIRECTLY to my Airport-equipped iMac, or is a base station required?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England

"It just works*"

* For :apple: tv to work, purchasing of separate HDMI or component and audio cables is required.

rahrens

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
People's Republic Of Maryland
Yes.....all the above and a bit more.
I am quite underwhelmed by this product.
I can't play any of my dvd's or other content.
Only iTunes stuff and my photo album etc........

Or have I missed something?

Yeah, you did. The AppleTV is able to use a stream from your DVD player on your Mac. As a matter of fact, you can stream from as many as six Macs ( the synced Mac + five others).

If you have other content imported into iTunes, even if it was ripped from dvds or downloaded, as long as it fits the formats specified, it'll play them.

So, other than no DVR (which it'll never be) what's the beef?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002

"If it's on iTunes, it's on your widescreen TV."

What is there not to get? It's simply a vehicle to deliver iTunes content from your computer to the living room. Apple doesn't pretend for this to replace your entertainment system.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Why bother with DivX anymore? Any reason besides pirating? This is a serious question, not a sarcastic one. I've struggled to find an evenly remotely legitmate source of DivX files.

Anyway, Apple is ignoring DivX as there is really no good reason to pay for the license other than to please .001% of their potential market.

Agreed. The original poster either doesn't know Apple would be tacking on a licensing fee for every unit or doesn't care and expects Apple to eat the feature cost.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Sorry, but this product doesn't appeal to me. Why would I want to download movies from iTunes for just a few bucks less than the DVD costs and not even get 1080i quality? I mean, I didn't spend a few grand on a 50-inch HD plasma to watch anything less than HD quality movies.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
I predict the Apple TV will be a flop. It doesn't do anything better than what's already out there. You'd be better off spending a little more and getting an Xbox 360 or even a mac mini.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
When I upgrade to a proper HDTV I'll get one of these. I'm halfway through ripping my entire DVD collection to a stonking array of hard drives and to be able to access that from my TV all the way downstairs - all the better. H.264 is the only codec I need on the thing. Though RAW support would have been nice...

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
I want to check one out at my local Apple store. I'll go tomorrow

Most likely not.

Remember, most stores have to remove a full side section of Macs to make room for a Bravia TV and the Apple TV unit. Most local stores did not even have any today - or displays for the windows..

An employee told me they had not even had any formal training on the product yet, aside from basic "who will buy this" product info. They have the TV's and accessory cables, but nothing else yet.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway

Because encoding Xvid or X.264 wont kill your cpu, like H.264 does. What happends in two years when theres a new much better codec, that Apple don't like to much. Do you have to buy something new?

Apple's market shouldn't be only people who want to buy iTS Movies. Anyone who wants to play their movies from their computer onto their FlatTV should be the market for something like TV. The H.264 percentage of downloaded movies cant be much more than 0,5%. It's all about Xvid! It's fast and there's almost as good as H.264.

I really don't think TV is going to be a «hit».

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.