PDA

View Full Version : Gamefly or Gplay/NumbThumb?

Mooey
Mar 22, 2007, 12:33 AM
Hey, guys. I was just wondering which do you think is better and why? And if you have had any good/bad experiences, please tell me about those.

I'm trying to see if I want to dwell in the online rental because I end up renting a game every week and this would be better in my opinion.

Thanks.

cyclingplatypus
Mar 22, 2007, 09:04 AM
I'm in New Hampshire and use Gamefly, it takes about 5 days for me to get a game and about 1-2 days for them to get notice from USPS that I returned a game, they use a scanning feature that allows them to have USPS send them details and ship a game to you before they physically receive it.

Probably the best thing I like about Gamefly is the rewards program they have, every 3 months you get 5 Gamefly bucks and on top of that you get either a 5% or 10% (off their keep it price) discount depending how long you've been a member. I just went over a year and get 10% off so when I rent and want to keep it I'm getting about $15-$20 off a new release (I can keep GR:AW2 for $43.19 or Crackdown for $40.49, not bad for 2 recently released games that are MSRP $59.99).

dan-o-mac
Mar 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
I just signed up for Gamefly and I'm not happy already. I signed up Thurs. and it's Sat. afternoon and only 1 game has shipped. Gamefly's site says 24 hours to ship, there is no reason for them to take 2 days to ship something out. Add that to the fact it's gonna take another 4-6 days to arrive from the west coast. So with the return trip, that's 2 weeks out of the month the game is in transit, no thanks. I'm going to cancel after this month.

Gplay has the best rates. Where do they ship from?

1 Game out - $5.95 First month, $11.95 thereafte
2 Games out - $10.95 First month, $16.95 thereafter
3 Games out - $15.95 First month $21.95 thereafter

Gamerang has the same rates as Gamefly, but the have a shipping center is NJ which is better for me(actually my kids). Anyone else have anything to say about these game rental site.

cyclingplatypus
Apr 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
I just signed up for Gamefly and I'm not happy already. I signed up Thurs. and it's Sat. afternoon and only 1 game has shipped. Gamefly's site says 24 hours to ship, there is no reason for them to take 2 days to ship something out. Add that to the fact it's gonna take another 4-6 days to arrive from the west coast. So with the return trip, that's 2 weeks out of the month the game is in transit, no thanks. I'm going to cancel after this month.

Gplay has the best rates. Where do they ship from?

1 Game out - $5.95 First month, $11.95 thereafte
2 Games out - $10.95 First month, $16.95 thereafter
3 Games out - $15.95 First month $21.95 thereafter

Gamerang has the same rates as Gamefly, but the have a shipping center is NJ which is better for me(actually my kids). Anyone else have anything to say about these game rental site.

Actually the reason that it took so long for you to ship was annual inventory, I got an email last week that said the warehouse was closed on Friday for inventory so no shipping or receiving would be taking place, not the service just an odd fluke. Like I said, I usually have 5 days shipping and I'm in New Hampshire.

darkjester22
Apr 6, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have had really bad ship times and i live on the west coast. I emailed them and its all auto responses and bad customer service. i left after my free trial.

I joined numbthumb and i love it so far. Pretty much same service, they have all the games and its cheaper. Have not gotten a chance to see there customer support becuase i have not had a problem yet. Id say numbthumb if you are on the west coast.

O and btw, i first went to gplay and they are the same site as numbthumb, looks like they partnered.

KurtangleTN
Apr 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
I use gamefly, and I'm split.

With my Wii, with some many games with maybe 30 max hours of play value.. that imo is not worth my $50.. so you save so much when getting gamefly.

But they have no east coast distribution places, it sucks. I've seen much smaller renting places that have over 10 places to ship/recive games from, so it's really stupid not to have one on the east coast.

What I did is I bought a 3 month prepaid thing on eBay for $5 (code was emailed) so it's a cheap way to save early.

Corrosive vinyl
Apr 6, 2007, 05:56 PM

The same thing happened with us... the first go around of games it took about 2 weeks. The interesting thing was the next time we sent a game back, we got another game in 3 or 4 days. Don't be disguraged, see what happens with the next game being shipped back! I think it depends on either when you ship it, or as said before, they were doing inventory stuffs.

g30ffr3y
Apr 7, 2007, 08:41 PM
ive had a gamefly subscription for over a year now
and have had my ups and downs with shipping, my
post office not scanning, games not showing up etc.

all and all though everything has always sorted itself
out with a little patience. their customer service has
always been great... at first when my post office
wasnt scanning they even shipped based on my email
that i had shipped the games back...

im on the east coast and time between games is
a little long, but their service saves me so much
cash buying and trying games that i cant complain.

pseudobrit
Apr 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
Gamefly is testing a new drop facility in Pittsburgh to reduce shipping delays. I'm happy overall with the service but I don't really have time to play games all that much either.