PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV: Just arrived!

Modano
Mar 22, 2007, 10:07 AM
My AppleTV was just delivered! It's a day early so everyone who ordered on, be on the lookout. Can't wait to get home from work and hook it up.

Cinematographer
Mar 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
Great. :)

Don't hesitate to share your experiences with us.

Zman5225
Mar 22, 2007, 10:34 AM
grats, I can't wait to hear user reviews of this product to also include how that user is using it.

pdpfilms
Mar 22, 2007, 10:41 AM
Lucky! Mine's a ways away in Tenessee. What sort of shipping did you choose?

spicyapple
Mar 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
I haven't ordered an AppleTV yet, but one day it will arrive! And when I get it, I'll post a thread about it! Isn't that special of me?

Without pics, this thread is useless. :)

Speedracer04
Mar 22, 2007, 10:46 AM
lol what are you doing on here!? go play!

Modano
Mar 22, 2007, 10:58 AM
I haven't ordered an AppleTV yet, but one day it will arrive! And when I get it, I'll post a thread about it! Isn't that special of me?

Without pics, this thread is useless. :)

Ahem...
I live in NYC and chose expedited shipping. We got a ton of Fed Ex shipments at my office every day, so this could have expedited my delivery (just speculation). Hope everyone else gets theirs soon!
*cough cough* I think I'm coming down with something... maybe I need to leave work early today... ;)

liketom
Mar 22, 2007, 11:01 AM
Lucky sod - i ordered back in Jan then cancelled and have just orderd again today

macg4
Mar 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
nice, be sure to post some more pics of it in action later on today

liketom
Mar 22, 2007, 11:09 AM
nice, be sure to post some more pics of it in action later on today
i wonder if he bought any cables to plug into the TV :rolleyes: :D

twoodcc
Mar 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
congrats.....and don't forget pics! :) :apple:

Modano
Mar 22, 2007, 11:13 AM

No joke, I've got to buy cables at lunch. I'm sitting here trying to diagram how to plug one more thing in with my receiver/cable box/tv/game console... :confused: :D

jsw
Mar 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
I didn't. :o Until yesterday. They'll be here tomorrow. Until then, I get to look at mine's sad little flat face waiting to be plugged in.

Mine will be used almost exclusively to allow the other family members to view movies and listen to music. I've also got a mini attached to the same TV, but apparently that's too difficult, and the toddler demon keeps getting at the keyboard and mouse anyway, so this will be easier (the tiny remote can be more easily hidden away). I'm going to set up "allowable" songs and movies tonight in anticipation of going live tomorrow.

I didn't think I'd be excited by this, but I am. And especially about what the future might hold. :)

oogje
Mar 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
It's here (nyc) a day sooner than estimated. Not expedited. It even talks to my ancient Panasonic TH-42PWD4 which I don't think is HD.

joshwest
Mar 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
just so everyone knows ALL STORES HAVE THEM IN STOCK NOW!

pdpfilms
Mar 22, 2007, 11:28 AM

I don't believe you. Pictures/links?

joshwest
Mar 22, 2007, 11:31 AM
I called my local green hills store and they had them in stock and also on the store page there is a picture that says. :apple: tv In stores now.

pdpfilms
Mar 22, 2007, 11:34 AM
I called my local green hills store and they had them in stock and also on the store page there is a picture that says. :apple: tv In stores now.

Zing! Bummer for those of us who ordered and have to wait for its arrival.

aristobrat
Mar 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
Zing! Bummer for those of us who ordered and have to wait for its arrival.
Same thing happened with the new Airport Extremes. They were in most stores the same day that people who ordered them from online started receiving them from FedEx.

FWIW, the Norfolk store has them in-stock.

Sälli
Mar 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
Can somebody answer this: When you listen to music with Apple TV, do the play counts get incremented?

When you are using an iPod, they do get incremented, but when you are streaming music from somebody else's iTunes, they do not. So, which one is it with the Apple TV?

PYR0M310N
Mar 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
It's here (nyc) a day sooner than estimated. Not expedited. It even talks to my ancient Panasonic TH-42PWD4 which I don't think is HD.

Does this mean you can plug it into a TV that isn't HD? as it says on the Apple store (UK) that it has to be HD.

System Requirements
• Widescreen (16:9) enhanced definition or high definition television with an HDMI, DVI, or component video input

humara
Mar 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
Does this mean you can plug it into a TV that isn't HD? as it says on the Apple store (UK) that it has to be HD.

System Requirements
• Widescreen (16:9) enhanced definition or high definition television with an HDMI, DVI, or component video input
you quoted your own answer.

enhanced definition or high definition

reading ftw

fwiw, appletv is streaming low-res files for movie trailers

ftl

SpudNYC
Mar 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

I went to the 5th Ave store here in NYC at noon and they do not have them in stock. I guess I'll check back tomorrow.

oogje
Mar 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

System Requirements

My Panasonic TH-42PWD4 is a "Wide Plasma Display" - more vague terminology. The specs for "Scanning format" under "Applicable signals" are:

525i (480i), 625i (576i), 525p (480p), 625p (576p), 750p (720p), 1125/60i, 50i, 24p, 24SF (1080/60i, 50i, 24p 24SF) ....... SMPTE 247M

I have only the vaguest idea what these things mean. But it does work with the Apple TV.

slffl
Mar 22, 2007, 12:24 PM

Awesome. I happen to be going there tonight, I'll have to check it out.

mojoxp
Mar 22, 2007, 12:31 PM
Got mine today here in Madison, WI. Two day shipping.

joshwest
Mar 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
Just went to the Store in Green Hills in Nashville and picked mine up.

jgurfein
Mar 22, 2007, 01:45 PM
Took 15 mins to set up, 10 of which were spent moving a piece of furniture.

It is exactly as advertised. Only negative is what everybody already knows, which is that movies and TV Shows currently are standard definition and look about the same as they do on standard def. digital cable channels. That's fine for TV, but for movies I'm gonna stick with my Blu Ray player for now.

Interface is incredibly slick, music sounds better than streaming via airport express, photos ARE in HD. And the device itself is TINY and UNOBTRUSIVE. It's a definite spouse pleaser for those who have spouses irritated by the rat's nest of wires and devices that invade many homes.

Perhaps most impressively, streaming content from a computer on the network is highly efficient without any noticable buffering or stalling. It is quite surprising, actually. And my network is only 802.11g - not n.

Diode
Mar 22, 2007, 03:23 PM
So I assume no 5.1 at this time still?

Bummer as that was the deal breaker for me.

Diode
Mar 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
I stand corrected. From the handbrake forums:

x264 Main *or* Baseline work
Using 5.1 AAC, it plays, so even if it is pro logic, I can rip to 5.1 and it won't be broken.
I have tried up to about 1700Kbps, but I don't see why higher rates won't work
The Anamorphic setting is /ignored/ by Apple TV, unfortunately.

I also tried two of my 720p rips from a Blu-Ray disc on it.
5.5Mbps avg bitrate for the video stream - It worked out of the box

Chapter tracks work, even in a .mov file, making skipping around nice.

/dev/toaster
Mar 22, 2007, 03:33 PM
Gah, why you are you guys getting them today ?! I had 2nd day shipping on mine and FedEx says it won't be till tomorrow for mine to show up at the office.

wpwj40e
Mar 22, 2007, 03:42 PM
Was googling around looking for some more feedback on the Apple TV. Less media "ware" and more end user. Over on the Handbrake forum - this poster has put together a nice little review....answering some of the questions I haven't seen answered yet. Re Video Quality etc.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692

Therese

danr_97070
Mar 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
I was in an Apple Store today to pick up my Mac which was in for a power supply replacement...

So... since they had an AppleTV in stock, I bought one so I wouldn't have to wait for the FedEx dood. I was the first one to buy one from this store! Kewl...

Anyway, I couldn't resist taking a slightly longer lunch break to take it home and hook it up. Setup is brain-dead simple. It instantly (after entering the code into iTunes) allowed me to see content from my machine. Now, I just have to organize my videos and set synch options a bit better. I had it up and running in less than 15 minutes...

Most of the video looks pretty good. The stuff that I'd originally encoded for the iPod at 320x240 doesn't look great, but I didn't expect it to. The rest of the stuff encoded at 640x480 looks good.

Next on my list of things to do is to organize my videos into playlists to allow me to synch and find them more easily... then setup EyeTV to automatically export to iTunes so that stuff will synch with it too.

Krevnik
Mar 22, 2007, 06:17 PM
I will say this about the 15 minutes I had with mine before running off to work:

Monster House still looks great at 720p at 5Mbps... :)

rdrr
Mar 22, 2007, 08:21 PM
How does the audio on the trailer for 300 sound? Gosh darn... I loved that movie!!! :D

michaelsaxon
Mar 22, 2007, 08:54 PM
The 300 trailer is very clear and the audio superb. I'm running component video with the optical audio connection on a 50" Panasonic LCD television and I've been very happy with AppleTV so far.

Videos that I encoded with Handbrake look and sound excellent. If anything, I'm able to take all of my kid's DVDs that tend to get destroyed, encode them, put them away, and then select them at will from AppleTV's menu.

Syncing is rather slow on my G connection, but streaming really has worked well for me so far.

I'm already happy with it and I can only imagine it will get better as more features are added and 3rd party software is tailored for it. Then again, I was already quite comfortable with using iTunes as my media hub.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

mashinhead
Mar 22, 2007, 11:07 PM
is it easy to change the HD? I so could use one of these, but i'm boycotting cos of the price, and small hd. Or i'll be on the lookout in the Marketplace forum.

Philberttheduck
Mar 22, 2007, 11:52 PM
Southern California received.

One thing that has caught my eye (and finger tips): it's f-in hot. I picked it up and it was extremely hot. I don't know what that means long term, but I figured I'd let you experts disect that piece of information. Of it could just be mine.

tveric
Mar 23, 2007, 01:36 AM
Will this thing play x264 files or not? I can't find a straight answer to that anywhere.

Thanks.

macd00d
Mar 23, 2007, 01:37 AM

One thing that has caught my eye (and finger tips): it's f-in hot. I picked it up and it was extremely hot. I don't know what that means long term, but I figured I'd let you experts disect that piece of information. Of it could just be mine.

mine is hot as the sun as well.

Multimedia
Mar 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
Will this thing play x264 files or not? I can't find a straight answer to that anywhere.H.264 I don't know about x264. What's x264? I have a sample encode I want someone to test. Would you mind?

Modano
Mar 23, 2007, 08:16 AM
is it easy to change the HD? I so could use one of these, but i'm boycotting cos of the price, and small hd. Or i'll be on the lookout in the Marketplace forum.
You know, this is the first thing I thought I'd do too but the streaming is so seamless that I can't tell if something is on the HD or not. It really, truly doesn't seem to matter. YMMV, of course, but this was the #1 concern of mine and now, having used it, I can honestly say that the HD size is not the limitation it appears to be. I haven't messed around with movies/TV shows yet but for music it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Mine got pretty hot when syncing for the first time too but my sense is that the wireless card and the HD are frying while copying 30 gigs of info but after the 1st sync will remain at a reasonable temp. We'll have to see.

pilotError
Mar 23, 2007, 08:40 AM
I picked it up and it was extremely hot.

According to one of the disassembly sites, the top of the Apple TV doubles as a heat sink.