PDA

View Full Version : paper mario

darkwing
Mar 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
This is the worst game I've ever played. Once the cuteness wears off (in 5 minutes) it's boring as heck and has the usual Nintendo lame story to it. My friend told me it stinks, but there are some fun parts. Do methods of gameplay change? I heard you can play SMB as Bowser or something. So far it looks like a wannabe RPG (like SM RPG, which also sucked) where I just press buttons at the right time.

Somebody convince me to keep playing this turd.

The good news is that I picked up Metroid Prime 2 at the same time. Can't go wrong with Metroid!

I got both for $20.

Haoshiro
Mar 22, 2007, 11:12 AM
This is the worst game I've ever played. Once the cuteness wears off (in 5 minutes) it's boring as heck and has the usual Nintendo lame story to it. My friend told me it stinks, but there are some fun parts. Do methods of gameplay change? I heard you can play SMB as Bowser or something. So far it looks like a wannabe RPG (like SM RPG, which also sucked) where I just press buttons at the right time.

Somebody convince me to keep playing this turd.

The good news is that I picked up Metroid Prime 2 at the same time. Can't go wrong with Metroid!

I got both for $20.

Hey, I'm not going to argue with your opinion... if you don't like it, don't keep playing it.

I do know several people with completely different opposite opinions, however.

Personally, I loved SMRPG and Paper Mario (N64), but haven't played the newer GameCube game.

darkwing
Mar 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hey, I'm not going to argue with your opinion... if you don't like it, don't keep playing it.

I do know several people with completely different opposite opinions, however.

Personally, I loved SMRPG and Paper Mario (N64), but haven't played the newer GameCube game.

I'm just pissed that I bought it. I did so solely because I read an article about the upcoming Wii version and thought it looked cool/sounded fun. I figured the GC one must be ok, too.

GFLPraxis
Mar 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
I've only played it a little but it didn't seem that bad. Maybe you're at the typical beginning of the RPG (you know, how just about EVERY RPG starts slow with you at a low level with few attacks so you just keep hitting attack and it's boring?).

A friend of mine insists it is the best game ever and calls it the best GameCube game. I'll have to show him this thread.

I assume you've played Metroid Prime 1 first right?

pcypert
Mar 22, 2007, 11:33 AM
I haven't played the cube version, but liked the 64 version. It is a bit easy...the story was pretty lame, but for some reason I liked it. It and SMRPG are just hitting buttons at the right time a lot....but still make it halfway fun somehow...but I could care less about the story and all that they try and put in.

Paul

darkwing
Mar 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
I've only played it a little but it didn't seem that bad. Maybe you're at the typical beginning of the RPG (you know, how just about EVERY RPG starts slow with you at a low level with few attacks so you just keep hitting attack and it's boring?).

A friend of mine insists it is the best game ever and calls it the best GameCube game. I'll have to show him this thread.

I assume you've played Metroid Prime 1 first right?

Yeah I played MP1 but haven't beat it yet. Owning 2 just encourages me to finish it. :)

jdechko
Mar 22, 2007, 02:57 PM
Two things, darkwing.

First, is the way that Super Paper Mario is being done. It's a different style than the others: Platformer w/ RPG elements as opposed to RPG w/ Platformer elements. I'm not a big fan of RPG's anyhow, so the previous Paper Mario/ MRPG games don't interest me the way that SPM does. It's probably why you thought "Hey, cool" @ SPM and "Geez this sucks" @ PM. :)

Yeah I played MP1 but haven't beat it yet. Owning 2 just encourages me to finish it. :)

[broken record]
Second, and I know I've pointed this out several times before (1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1972609&postcount=36), 2 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2744059&postcount=172)), but when you get to MP 2, beware of the glitch (http://www.metroid2002.com/prime2/index.php/Sanctuary:_Main_Research_Broken_Sonic_Locks).

Still pissed about that one to the point where I haven't replayed it once (replayed the original 4-5 times)

[/broken record]

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
Never been interested in Paper Mario before the Wii trailers. Dont think I'll hunt down either N64 or Cube versions, got my hands tied up with Partners in Time still.

TheGimp
Mar 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
I didn't like Partners in Time (too plodding), but I've reserved a copy of SPM. It looks like it will have mad action.

Sky Blue
Mar 22, 2007, 03:36 PM
Paper Mario is an awesome game. One of MR's Sony shills doesn't like? Colour me suprised...One of the best GC games.