PDA

View Full Version : Wii Browser Delayed

aidanpendragon
Mar 22, 2007, 11:23 AM
Opera pushes it back until April (http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2007/03/22/) "to finalize what promises to be the ultimate Web surfing experience on the Wii console." Umm, isn't it the only one?

slu
Mar 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
Using the beta sucks, so I don't imaging this will be any better.

Outside of the games and VC, so far all the other stuffs sucks or is completely useless. Everybody Votes? Please...

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 11:31 AM
Aw bugger! I was looking forward to that (though I didn't even know when it was supposed to be out).
April. Just in time for Pokemon DS too :D

ninewhereman
Mar 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
I like the beat alright, and can't wait to see what they have in store for the full release. Guess I will just have to wait that extra month out.

sikkinixx
Mar 22, 2007, 11:55 AM
oh boy! I can't wait to waste $5.07 USD on a crappy web browser in 480p! :rolleyes:

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 11:55 AM
Using the beta sucks, so I don't imaging this will be any better.

What? A Beta sucks so the full thing will? You do realise the point of any beta or demo is to gauge public opinion and to see how it works in the wild. The whole point is to make it better. :confused:

An absolutely classic thing to so say :D

e≤Studios
Mar 22, 2007, 12:01 PM
oh boy! I can't wait to waste $5.07 USD on a crappy web browser in 480p! :rolleyes:

QFT..

zero2dash
Mar 22, 2007, 12:12 PM
IMO for occasional light couch surfing, the beta works fine for me.

If I'm going to spend longer than five minutes searching or have typing to do, I'll get off my butt and use the computer.

If they charge for the full version to people who downloaded the beta...I won't be getting it; I'll just keep the beta on there. If the beta fails to work or "expires" when the full version hits and I can't use the beta anymore, it won't bother me one bit. It's nice to have for free, but I'd never pay for a web browser on a console, no matter what resolution it was displayed in. :rolleyes:

~my two cents

aidanpendragon
Mar 22, 2007, 12:16 PM
Nintendo Wii Fanboy speculates without any basis that they might charge for it, but Opera/Nintendo haven't said anything of the kind officially.

If they charge for the full version to people who downloaded the beta...I won't be getting it; I'll just keep the beta on there. If the beta fails to work or "expires" when the full version hits and I can't use the beta anymore, it won't bother me one bit. It's nice to have for free, but I'd never pay for a web browser on a console, no matter what resolution it was displayed in. :rolleyes:

I agree - have probably used it twice since I got it, and then only to fool around. I think it takes up a fair bit of the internal memory, too.

zero2dash
Mar 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
Just read this (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/22/fat-lady-sings-opera-free-longer-but-wii-internet-channel-dela/)

So, there's good news, and bad news in the Wii camp. Which do you want first? Okay, the bad news it is: the final version of the Wii Internet Channel is delayed. Although delayed in the nick of time, as it were. It was supposed to be available in late March ... and here we are in late March. No final Internet Channel sighting over here, up in the crow's nest? Negative sir, only the beta. Opera tells us that it will now be available some time in April ... although no actual date has been announced yet. Our money is on late April, it's possibly too much to hope for an Easter surprise.

Onto the good news, then: the Wii Opera browser will be available longer for everyone's favorite price ... FREE! That's right folks, don't order yet because er, you don't need to. You can just go ahead and download the free beta, and then grab the real goods when they're offered up in April. The Opera browser will cost 500 Wii points ($5 for Americans) after the free period, which was set to end in June, but will now be sliding to July. The only great unknown is the current beta browser, which was good until the end of March -- will they be extending that until the real one comes out?

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 01:00 PM

What? Is there a different rule for Canada? it was always free until June, now that's been expanded to July.

sikkinixx
Mar 22, 2007, 05:37 PM
What? Is there a different rule for Canada? it was always free until June, now that's been expanded to July.

yeah but then it's gonna cost $5 USD in June or July or whatever. Bottom line is it will cost me. And Nintendo and their jerk-ass way, charges me $11.30 USD for 1000 Points. They charge me my 13% sales tax (GST + PST in BC Canada) but they charge me in USD! So I get to pay another 19% on top of the 13%! 1000 wii points cost me almost $14, pffffft to that....

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 05:56 PM
No, you still don't get it.

If you download the full version of the Internet Channel before July then it will always be free. You will not be spending a penny on the channel at all, ever.
If you download the full version after July you will have to buy it for 500 points.

zap2
Mar 22, 2007, 05:57 PM
I love Opera on the Wii...its quick and easy. I don't use it to replace my Mac, only to check stuff when I'm down stairs and to lazy to go upstairs, or don't have my iBook with me.

sikkinixx
Mar 22, 2007, 06:16 PM
If you download the full version of the Internet Channel before July then it will always be free. You will not be spending a penny on the channel at all, ever.
If you download the full version after July you will have to buy it for 500 points.

Oh I getcha, that articles is worded a little oddly.

My beef with their points value still stands though.

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 06:27 PM
There are sneaky ways around that here.
Virgin Megastores, GAME and HMV sell point cards at £20 for 2k points.
Nintendo Shop they're £14 for 2k points.
Woolworths used to have them at £12.99.

GAME had an offer on, buy anything in store and get a 2k points card for £7. I don't think there was a limit on the cheapest item or the number of £7 points cards purchased.

Always a way ;)

sb58
Mar 22, 2007, 07:01 PM
I love Opera on the Wii...its quick and easy. I don't use it to replace my Mac, only to check stuff when I'm down stairs and to lazy to go upstairs, or don't have my iBook with me.

i find it to be clunky and hard to use... specially the typing.

CubeHacker
Mar 22, 2007, 07:21 PM

If you find typing on the Wii clunky, you should see what its like on the PSP!

srobert
Mar 22, 2007, 07:50 PM
Videos of the final (or almost final) version in action here (It's in Japanese. Look for the 4 blue links in the chat bubbles):

Link (http://wii.com/jp/articles/internet-channel/story.html)

Looks like they fixed the things I didn't like: The menu bar now collapses and you can scroll faster. Nice little additions too.

Dagless
Mar 22, 2007, 08:09 PM
Videos of the final (or almost final) version in action here (It's in Japanese. Look for the 4 blue links in the chat bubbles):

Link (http://wii.com/jp/articles/internet-channel/story.html)

Looks like they fixed the things I didn't like: The menu bar now collapses and you can scroll faster. Nice little additions too.

Hmm, that's better than I expected. Not bad for a free application :D
Wonder if this will update the Shop channel/anything else that uses Opera?

ninewhereman
Mar 23, 2007, 01:07 AM

I use the cell phone layout, and it seems to work perfect for me. I don't like the full keyboard too much moving around.

2nyRiggz
Mar 23, 2007, 05:37 AM
The beta sucks but I won't judge the final until I see it...I don't need jimmi jumping at me this early in the morning:)

Bless

Dagless
Mar 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
The beta sucks but I won't judge the final until I see it...I don't need jimmi jumping at me this early in the morning:)

Bless

:p
well I had a perfectly valid point. Betas are there to be upgraded.

I'd have liked some kind of user profile though. So I can keep my faves and cookies seperate from my families. Wii Browser 2?

sam10685
Mar 23, 2007, 12:11 PM
for me, the browser randomly leaves some pages and goes back to the home thing.

Haoshiro
Mar 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Personally I have always like Opera, it's a great browser.

Haven't used the Wii version, but hope it's up to par with the PC version when the final is released.

Sky Blue
Apr 11, 2007, 09:12 PM
final version out now...gogogogo!!

zooming is awesome now.

Dagless
Apr 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
Runs And Downloads

Agilus
Apr 11, 2007, 09:57 PM
Man, the server(s) must be getting hosed by people downloading the new browser. My Wii update went just fine, but connecting to the Wii Shop Channel is taking forever.

Dagless
Apr 11, 2007, 10:00 PM
Very slow update indeed! I had time to make a drink, sort out the dogs basket and clean my teeth before it had finished!

Anyways. That works much better than before. I'd probably pay the 500 points if this wasn't free. The click effect is very nice and subtle.

Bobdude161
Apr 11, 2007, 11:19 PM
final version out now...gogogogo!!

zooming is awesome now.

Is this really the final version? Mine still says Trial Version after the update.

Maynerd
Apr 12, 2007, 12:01 AM
Is this really the final version? Mine still says Trial Version after the update.

You need to perform the update THEN go to the wii shop and download the new browser.

JackAxe
Apr 12, 2007, 12:29 AM
This is a nice update. I was hoping for a Flash 8, but I guess that was hoping for too much. :o At least it supports 7, fp6 would have blown.

I've been using my Wii to check a current site I'm working on, since it's the only web device I have that doesn't have Flash 9 installed, it has been good for testing.

<]=)

Dagless
Apr 12, 2007, 07:31 AM
Youtube works oh-so much better. On the trial version if I opened the video to full screen it would stop playing about half way through. Now it plays the full vid.

This is top. I like this. Hope the 360 takes note, though how much of a pain would it be operating a web browser without a mouse?

zero2dash
Apr 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
Hope the 360 takes note

I agree and have been thinking the same thing lately.

Why Microsoft doesn't take the IE7 core and port it to XNA (360), I'll never know. :confused: (as long as it was FREE)

Full version Internet Channel is good. I like the auto-hiding toolbar. :)
Again, no complaints about a free browser from me, especially one that enables me to surf while sitting.

spencecb
Apr 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
I woke up very early in the morning to use the restroom and saw a strange light coming from my living room, and though someone was in my house and turned a light on, but it was just the Wii, lol.....

Anyway, I didn't have time this morning to do the update and I can't wait to get home later from uni to get this underway.

From everyone's review here so far, it sounds like Opera is really committed to bringing a great Web experience to the Wii.

Now, if we could just get Nintendo to get a move on WiiConnect24.....:eek:

srobert
Apr 12, 2007, 09:04 AM
I really like the "B-Trigger" shortcuts and the ability to collapse the menu bar.

rosalindavenue
Apr 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
Got it last night and am most impressed by how much faster it connects and starts. Lots of small improvements. Youtube fullscreen is very nice. I do find the "line drawing" when using the b-trigger to be annoying-- seems like a mouse-gesturing plugin without the gestures. Any idea why that was added?

Agilus
Apr 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
It sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until tonight to get it. Gave up after about 15 minutes of trying last night. The network should be less busy tonight.

rockthecasbah
Apr 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
The final version is much improved! Watching videos is much smoother as is the ability to control how much you want to zoom in for websites to read stuff, very nice. The only thing is the new dragging scroll thing with the trigger is a tad annoying, it's harder to get more precise, minor movements. All the improvements outweigh this minor flaw though :D

Anonymous Freak
Apr 12, 2007, 11:00 AM
Youtube works oh-so much better. On the trial version if I opened the video to full screen it would stop playing about half way through. Now it plays the full vid.

This is top. I like this. Hope the 360 takes note, though how much of a pain would it be operating a web browser without a mouse?

Yeah, flash video would crash my entire Wii about 1/3 of the time. I just noticed the blue glow coming from the cabinet my Wii is in, so I'll update it in a while and grab the new browser.

zero2dash
Apr 12, 2007, 01:57 PM
I woke up very early in the morning to use the restroom and saw a strange light coming from my living room

Yeah, I was in the middle of the [360] GRAW2 demo in a blaze of glory and all the sudden I see a blue light in front of me near feet level...and I thought "whoa GRAW2 took realism to a whole new level". LMAO :D

aussie_geek
Apr 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
meh,

browsers on consoles suck. period. even the one i have on my ps3 with its almighty 218 gigaflops of power is a slug.

consoles are for games, movies and music.

aussie_geek

rikers_mailbox
Apr 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
meh,

browsers on consoles suck. period. even the one i have on my ps3 with its almighty 218 gigaflops of power is a slug.

consoles are for games, movies and music.

aussie_geek

that's funny. what rationale are you using when you say that consoles aren't for browsing, but movies and music are okay?

I don't really consider Wii as just a console. the whole Channel idea opens it up as a platform for other uses, internet browsing among them.

iTunes Channel, anyone?

Dagless
Apr 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
Okay, I'll give you the "films" there, but music?

A console is whatever it wants to be, so long as it plays games and these extras don't add to the cost of the system. Web browser works because I can easily just load it up and check emails, gamefaqs or youtube. Course it's never going to compare to a computer.

A TV guide channel would be excellent, and quite ironic.

Voidness
Apr 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
For some reason, I can't get it to work here :(

I had it perform the system update, then I went to the Wii Shop Channel to download the new version. After I click update, it instantly says "Download Complete". But when I go back to the home menu, I still see the trial version! I tried deleting the Internet Channel and redownload it, but it downloaded the trial version again!

Anyone here having similar problems?

JackAxe
Apr 14, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hope you got if figured out, I'm not sure why you can't download the final?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's why the Wii's browser doesn't have Flash 8 or 9 installed;
http://operawatch.com/news/2007/04/why-the-wii-browser-has-flash-7-and-not-flash-8-or-9.html

Adobe has yet to release the SDK for devices that are not running OS X, Linux, or Windows. This gives me hope. Flash 8 is such a substantial update over 7, so I really hope it makes its way to the Wii. Flash 9 would be even better, since I can than use AS3. ~i~

<]=)