Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I'm trying to learn some Ruby development (expanding from the PHP that I know and love), and have yet to be able to successfully deploy a ruby application from my Mac to Dreamhost! Does anyone have any experience with deploying a Ruby app that's set up in Eclipse/RadRails? I've gotten to the point of creating the project, filling in the database.yml info, "Capistranizing" it, but when I run deploy it gives me an error that it couldn't sync the last revision with the server. Does anyone have any experience with this???

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
I haven't done this with radrails & eclipse yet, but i have deployed to dreamhost with a rails site via capistrano, and let me tell you it's no piece of cake. I probably went through 10 different recipes people had concocted specifically for capistrano & dreamhost before I found one that worked with out error, but even then a couple steps were missing which i had to guess. I think deployment is the worst part of a rails app. For every host it's different and it's incredibly frustrating. However, the total amount of wasted hours on deployment is usually made up for on the development end compared to a php based site.

The reward of finally getting it up there wasn't so great, because dreamhost is notoriously slow for rails sites. I even got one of there tech people to look at my deployed app, and the response was "15 seconds load time is about average". Maybe radrails & eclipse will speed it up. I eventually went with a VPS rails host.

Sorry for that rant.

What I'd do in your situation is contact dreamhost support people. They probably know what's going on. If not, try to track down the author of whatever recipe you're using.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may put learning ruby on rails on hold for a bit and wait for the delivery platforms and deployment process to mature a bit more. Instead, I think I'll see if there's any benefit I can find for a Rails-type clone for PHP. Maybe cake, or possibly the Zend framework (assuming it's somewhat similar).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.