Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ars Technica posts a somewhat speculative article on why they feel that Leopard will not be ready by April. This is based on developer sources indicating that Mac OS X betas tend to ramp up over 6 weeks prior to launch, and that current builds are not currently stable enough.

Based on their best guesses, they point to "June" as a possible timeframe.

At MacRumors, we're not big fans of speculation but historically, it is true that developer seeds become more frequent as the final release approaches.

What's also clear is that Apple has stated that there are "secret" features that have yet been revealed, and it seems unlikely that these "secret" features will be casually revealed in a developer seeding. Typically, Apple would showcase new features at some form of media event.

At this point, we only have two upcoming Apple media events on our calendars: NAB on April 15th, and WWDC 2007 in June. The NAB event will likely be centered around Final Cut Pro and WWDC 2007 will certainly be Mac OS X focused.

Apple has stated a number of times that Leopard's target release is "Spring 2007" which would place the release between now and June.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
*waits for Top Secret Features*

I like what we have with Spotlight, Safari, and OS X Server. I still haven't seen anything worth calling TOP SECRET though. There's still more the Leopard then what we have.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly? I don't know how existent these secret features are. It kind of felt like Steve Jobs was aware that there wasn't much to show at the keynote so he was coming up with an excuse.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
guess i have to wait until at least june for my 1st mac. hopefully the imac upgrade will be done by then also, or i may be waiting longer.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I'm thinking another event somewhere in between NAB and WWDC for the Leopard announcement. (More like hoping). They do promise a spring delivery on the site, so it has to be before WWDC.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
its obvious

boy, i guess ever since i saw that picture of iCal inside of Time Machine as an ad for WWDC 07, i sorta figured it was coming out in June...

cz

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I really believe that there ARE at least one or two great enhancements to Leo just like Expose, Spotlight or Dashboard in the previous versions.

Also, it seems to me that the Mac sales and everything else is doing exceptionally well EVEN WITHOUT the release of Leopard. People who hold out for a new model until the next OS seem to be a minority, and so Apple dont feel pushed about rushing the next OS.

Additionally, it has to run great on PPC and Intel. To me, Tiger on Intel is kinda buggy still, in a way that it was NOT on PPC. Lets get everything working before release this time.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
When was June specified? I've never heard anything other than spring.
Spring ends June 21st I believe, so June is really the latest they can ship Leopard and still meet the "Spring 2007" promise.

Personally I just hope its finished. I'd for once like a .0 version of Mac OS X to not be a buggy piece of crap.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Additionally, it has to run great on PPC and Intel. To me, Tiger on Intel is kinda buggy still, in a way that it was NOT on PPC. Lets get everything working before release this time.
As a user of both PPC and Intel Macs, I'm curious as to what bugs you're referring to here. When I got my first Intel Mac about a year ago, it was clearly way more buggy that the same OS X version on PPC, but now I'd say that Tiger is rock solid on Intel.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Spring

I'm thinking another event somewhere in between NAB and WWDC for the Leopard announcement. (More like hoping). They do promise a spring delivery on the site, so it has to be before WWDC.

Technically, Spring extends through June 21st. (Northern Hemisphere) If WWDC is slated for June 11-15, then Leopard will be Springing right on time...... Better to be stable, complete, refined, and ready to stun the world than rushed to meet a dead-line.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I really believe that there ARE at least one or two great enhancements to Leo just like Expose, Spotlight or Dashboard in the previous versions.

Also, it seems to me that the Mac sales and everything else is doing exceptionally well EVEN WITHOUT the release of Leopard. People who hold out for a new model until the next OS seem to be a minority, and so Apple dont feel pushed about rushing the next OS.

Actually sales of mac laptops are down according to MacCentral. They were reporting a 2% drop in sales.

I also believe that mac pro sales are not what they could be because many pros are on the fence waiting for the Octo / redesigned mac pro update w/ Leopard or free Leopard upgrade with coupon.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
As a user of both PPC and Intel Macs, I'm curious as to what bugs you're referring to here. When I got my first Intel Mac about a year ago, it was clearly way more buggy that the same OS X version on PPC, but now I'd say that Tiger is rock solid on Intel.

Sorry that I cant specify it in any more detail, but there were some notable hiccups since I received my MacBook C2D in November. Not that I counted or noted everything, its just an overall impression. Of course, 10.4.9 improved everything. But still, I consider Tiger as only half the deal... Leopard will be the OS to let the Intels really shine.

Edit@digitalbiker: 2 % are minimal, I wouldnt really blame that on the upcoming OS. And the Mac Pros... well, they are overdue in my opinion already, and the pro customers will wait until they are released. I dont think however, that those who spend over $3,000 on a computer that they use professionally, would wait to order until they would save an additional 150...

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Technically, Spring extends through June 21st. (Northern Hemisphere) If WWDC is slated for June 11-15, then Leopard will be Springing right on time...... Better to be stable, complete, refined, and ready to stun the world than rushed to meet a dead-line.

That was Microsoft's plan for Vista's plan... look how well that worked out for them.

I'm not saying apple will put out a version that blows, but we saw the sneak peak quite some time ago, it's high time we get to see the finished product. That being said, I'll buy it no matter when it comes out, so Apple really shouldn't feel rushed. :rolleyes:'

Honestly, when i look on list of problems in Leopard, i'm affraid, that they will not make it even for WWDC.

What problems?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
im betting on a WWDC Keynote release, remember the developer invites:

"save the date" and a time machine screengrab.

If that doesnt say "we're giving you 10.5 today", i dont know what does?

... Of course, i would gladly be wrong :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.