PDA

View Full Version : Upscaling on the PS3?

RMD68
Mar 22, 2007, 07:56 PM
I could be wrong but I believe at this moment the PS3's Blu-ray drive doesn't upscale DVD's to hi-def. The Sony and the Samsung Blu-ray players upscale DVD's and I was wondering if this would be possible with firmware updates. If it was possible it would really solidify my PS3 as the center of my AV equipment. Although, upscaling DVD's may have something to do with a hardware component rather than a firmware problem. Sorry if this was an obvious answer i was just curious.

sikkinixx
Mar 22, 2007, 10:42 PM
no it doesn't although Phil Harrison has said that it is in the works.

RMD68
Mar 22, 2007, 10:56 PM
Is it supposed to be a hardware fix and a new edition of the PS3 or will it be some sort of firmware fix.

fiercetiger224
Mar 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
Is it supposed to be a hardware fix and a new edition of the PS3 or will it be some sort of firmware fix.

Firmware update. Hopefully it'll be in the next update. We'll see.

MacRumorUser
Mar 23, 2007, 04:36 AM

Has the current PS3 even got a proper hardware scaler ? If not it will have to be hardware update.

Haoshiro
Mar 23, 2007, 09:07 AM
Has the current PS3 even got a proper hardware scaler ? If not it will have to be hardware update.

Software scaling, good sir.

e˛Studios
Mar 23, 2007, 09:17 AM

It has a hardware scaler, they released it to developers in January as a new SDK. They said DVD upscaling in a firmware update, but guessing when thats going to be has proved to be about as elusive as predicting the new powerbook G5 ;) Next Thursday im sure :p

MacRumorUser
Mar 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
It has a hardware scaler, they released it to developers in January as a new SDK. They said DVD upscaling in a firmware update, but guessing when thats going to be has proved to be about as elusive as predicting the new powerbook G5 ;) Next Thursday im sure :p

Thursday - surely you mean Tuesday ;) :D

e˛Studios
Mar 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
Thursday - surely you mean Tuesday ;) :D

No i mean Thursday, since that generally the day Sony releases new PS Store stuff and Updates :)

The rest of the forum can have their Tuesdays, Sony fans have Thursdays :p

Ed