Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've decided to try folding again, and I'm trying to run it on my MBP (in sig), but it won't connect to the assignment server. I'm going to leave it running overnight, but it hasn't worked so far. I'm using the console version. Would it be better for me to use InCrease?

I'm coming for you Dread! I'll be spitting out crazy WU's with this machine and my 1.1 GHz Celeron PC!

Thanks.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You want to use the beta SMP version--it will eventually expire and need an update, but it folds FAST! And it is the native version needed for Intel Macs.

Remove ALL traces of previous folding (search for f@h and fah and folding, I suppose) then gat "SMP Client Installer" here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

You won't need the terminal--it's a nice pref pane now. But at least during the beta period, be sure that:

a) You run it nearly full-time (deadlines are vey tight)

and b) You don't change your network (like pulling the Ethernet out or even losing yoru WiFi signal accidentally) without Stopping folding first. (This is done via System Preferences now.) My Wi-Fi drops out a few times a day, and all work is lost when it happens :( But Stanford knows about the issue I think.

InCrease may be useful, but I believe it's quirky with SMP still.

If you're already using SMP, then maybe it's just a temporary outage at Stanford.

More info at the teammacosx.com forums -- and we're open to helping any team, not just our own :) All are welcome, and all help the science.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I do--since the G3 days! And it wouldn't be right for me to defect since they've been very helpful. But I support all Mac teams :) (And PC teams too, if they just HAVE to help :) )

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I guess I'll have to let you off on that one, then. And the pref pane SMP client is chugging along fine, this morning InCrease said that it had about 39 hours left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.