PDA

View Full Version : New Airport Extreme Base Station - Works with DS

Haoshiro
Mar 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the new Airport Extreme Base Station works fine with DS!

You may not be able to use WEP/WPA/WPA2 with it, though.

What I did (and usually do with wireless routers) is instead of turning on a security protocol, I enable Access Control and then add the MAC addresses of all devices that should be allowed to connect.

To do this with the Airport Utility, you'll first need to select the device in the main window, then choose the Base Station > Manual Setup option from the menubar.

The first section you should see will be the "Airport" category, which will be on the Summary tab. Choose the right-most tab labelled "Access Control".

Set "MAC Address Access Control" to "Timed Access"

By default you should only have one item listed in the table, "(default)" - this will need to be Edited with the limit set to "No Access" (this will ensure no devices can connect unless they are specifically in the list)

Now, click "+" to add a new entry to the list. This first item should be the computer you are using. There is a handy "This Computer" button that will get the MAC address of your computer automatically. Click it. Type in a Description, then click done.

Next, add another entry for you DS...

To get you DS MAC address, insert a Wi-Fi enabled game, and go to the Wi-Fi Settings option (I used Tetris DS). Go to Options > System Information. There you will see the MAC address of that DS.

Once you have finished adding all the MAC addresses that need access, click the "Update" button and wait for the changes to be saved and the router to be restarted.

Once done, there is one final step needed to get your DS online. You'll need to go to Wi-Fi Settings from within a game, and create a new connection. You should already know how to do this if you've used your DS online before. Just click an empty slot, and wait for the DS to find your network, then save. Done!

Hope that helps someone!

mkrishnan
Mar 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
Well, WPA is going to be a problem as the DS does not support it. But why do you say WEP may not work?

Haoshiro
Mar 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
Well, WPA is going to be a problem as the DS does not support it. But why do you say WEP may not work?

Because I haven't bothered to try, and thought I had heard the DS uses an older version of the WEP protocol that isn't supported by all devices. I just haven't tested it, but may in the future.

Not sure if there would be an advantage over just using Access Control...

mkrishnan
Mar 23, 2007, 11:40 AM
Not sure if there would be an advantage over just using Access Control...

Well, WEP is kind of junk, as know, but I think the general reasons for using encryption above access control are:

1) Packets can be sniffed and analyzed to give access to sensitive info when just MAC is used (not too relevant to DS)

2) Packets can be sniffed and the MAC address can be extracted and spoofed (more of an issue).

Haoshiro
Mar 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
Well, WEP is kind of junk, as know, but I think the general reasons for using encryption above access control are:

1) Packets can be sniffed and analyzed to give access to sensitive info when just MAC is used (not too relevant to DS)

2) Packets can be sniffed and the MAC address can be extracted and spoofed (more of an issue).

Makes sense, wasn't occuring to me that the packets would obviously not be encrypted then.

I'll probably play with WEP then. The two together should be plenty for me. Doubt I am close to many network hackers anyway...

HungrySeacow
Mar 24, 2007, 02:11 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the new Airport Extreme Base Station works fine with DS!

You may not be able to use WEP/WPA/WPA2 with it, though.

What I did (and usually do with wireless routers) is instead of turning on a security protocol, I enable Access Control and then add the MAC addresses of all devices that should be allowed to connect.

To do this with the Airport Utility, you'll first need to select the device in the main window, then choose the Base Station > Manual Setup option from the menubar.

The first section you should see will be the "Airport" category, which will be on the Summary tab. Choose the right-most tab labelled "Access Control".

Set "MAC Address Access Control" to "Timed Access"

By default you should only have one item listed in the table, "(default)" - this will need to be Edited with the limit set to "No Access" (this will ensure no devices can connect unless they are specifically in the list)

Now, click "+" to add a new entry to the list. This first item should be the computer you are using. There is a handy "This Computer" button that will get the MAC address of your computer automatically. Click it. Type in a Description, then click done.

Next, add another entry for you DS...

To get you DS MAC address, insert a Wi-Fi enabled game, and go to the Wi-Fi Settings option (I used Tetris DS). Go to Options > System Information. There you will see the MAC address of that DS.

Once you have finished adding all the MAC addresses that need access, click the "Update" button and wait for the changes to be saved and the router to be restarted.

Once done, there is one final step needed to get your DS online. You'll need to go to Wi-Fi Settings from within a game, and create a new connection. You should already know how to do this if you've used your DS online before. Just click an empty slot, and wait for the DS to find your network, then save. Done!

Hope that helps someone!

I don't know why apple doesn't have this in any of the docs, but you can enable normal 128 or 40 bit WEB by holding the option key down when selecting the encryption type in the popup menu. It will disable wireless-N, but then the DS can connect securely.

rosalindavenue
Mar 24, 2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry for the OT question but I figure you folks will know this. I'm thinking about scrapping a very old linksys for a new Airport Extreme Base Station. Wii does support WPA, right?