Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You can add Paul Thurrott to the list.

"Compared to other living room solutions, the Apple TV falls flat unless, again, you've really made a commitment to iTunes and have decided that's the way to consume TV and movie content. (If so, you're kind of a tool, actually.) For the same price, you could get an Xbox 360..."

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/appletv.asp

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
well, better change title from "stupidest" to "bad", since all posts here are obviously going that direction. lol

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
You can add Paul Thurrott to the list.

"Compared to other living room solutions, the Apple TV falls flat unless, again, you've really made a commitment to iTunes and have decided that's the way to consume TV and movie content. (If so, you're kind of a tool, actually.) For the same price, you could get an Xbox 360..."

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/appletv.asp

This was my email response to that review:

Well, Paul you had a laughably pathetic review of the apple TV. For me it is the easiest and most simple way to get my iTunes centric content off my computer and into the living room. I’ve been toying with getting a MacMini and doing things that way, but for me this is so much simpler and I expect it will only grow in function as HD content become available on iTunes. For all your bitterness that Apple and iTunes tends to be a closed shop (which is true), the pay off comes from the integration and ease of use. Judging from your “Kool-Aid” and “in the company’s back pocket” comments, I can only guess that you will be grinding your teeth in anguish as this product starts to take off. Make no mistake, this product will evolve, but its current form is the foundation for a very successful future. That, at least, is my prediction.

What most of the Redmond based folks fail to realize is that there is a consumer sweet spot that Apple has more consistently been able to hit. The MS approach is to try to move the masses to their point of view. It is like saying hey yeah, this is an inelegant interface, complicated, and a bit hard to use, but if you want to stream movies, music, photos and the like, then this is what you gotta do! What do you think we have technology consultants for?

Anyway, I’m saving your Apple TV review and I will love to re-read it in 3 years.

ctakim

innhitman

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
NJ
He's right.... AppleTV is limited!!!

A big disappointment as far as I am concerned... I won't argue that some are very happy with their units and the use they get from it. But as far as it being as big as most people seem to think.... I have to say I do not see it.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I just don't know where people got the idea that Apple is trying to get the world to "throw away their DVD players and entertainment centers." Somebody please correct me if Jobs said this. G4TV based its entire review off of the fact that it's awesome, but you shouldn't throw away your entertainment center, as if that's Apple desire. Stupid America. Always putting words in people's mouths.

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.