Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squidly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
S. Jersey
Here's the setup. I have:

A Windows based gaming pc with a ATI Radion 1650 (Dual Link DVI capable) vid card.

A Mac-Mini.

An Apple 30inch Cinema Display.

I can attach the big LCD to the Windows machine and play around at the native resolution of 2560 x 1600. No problem.

I can disconnect the Windows pc, connect to the Mac-Mini, and display at a coarse 1280x800 (to be expected...I was surprised it worked at all, frankly.)

I have a Mac Pro in my shopping basket, only hemming and hawing over whether not to wait for Leopard/a New batch of Mac Pros, etc.

So anyway, the problem is, it sucks to have to unplug my cable and swap machines. A KVM switch would be great (and in fact a vga KVM was my solution back before the big LCD joined the picture.)

But DVI KVM support is really, really bad. Unless I'm missing something, every solution out there is gimped resolution wise (1600x1200... RARELY 1920x1200.) The only place I've seen the Cinema Display's native resolution supported is in the as yet unreleased Belkin Flip DVI-D.

Has anyone else here solved this problem? Am I missing something, or do I just have to suck it up and wait until Belkins solution is released...whenever?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Why Didn't You Google For What You Want?

I can tell already that I'm probably "SOL" here...lol.
Why didn't you simply google "Dual Link DVI Switch" There are several. Cost about $399. Gefin for one I think is best.

Why ask here when all you had to do was Google? :confused: :rolleyes:

Took me two seconds to find that link. Took you a number of minutes to type all that text. I don't understand. Are we all getting crazy in the brain?

You're making yourself work hard for something that takes about 15 seconds to find by typing "Dual Link DVI Switch" in your google search box at the upper right corner of Safari. I really don't get it.

Plus creating an unncessary Thread. :eek: :rolleyes: Plus making me have to write all this text because I can't believe you did that!

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
If you are buying a Mac Pro, why keep the gaming PC? Simplify your life.

DVI KVMs in general suck. I should never have to reboot a switch.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Do Not Buy This Mac Pro. WAIT.

If you are buying a Mac Pro, why keep the gaming PC? Simplify your life.

DVI KVMs in general suck. I should never have to reboot a switch.
Excellent point. Moreover, you should wait. You will hate yourself for impatience when you see what's next. And you'll love yourself for waiting.

Very poor move to order a Mac Pro now if you don't positively absolutely have to have it to keep your job. Patience Grasshopper.

Squidly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
S. Jersey
Couple of things. I of course Googled before I posted here. I also visited MacMall, PCConnection, Tigerdirect, Newegg, Buy.com, and several more before I posted here.

I POSTED here, because I thought "hey, this is the Mac community. They're friendly and more often than not are willing to help answer a simple question without copping an attitude.

Again, "more often than not."

$400-$1600 for a KVM switch is a non-starter. This is a simple device that should be readily available for under $200. Belkin has one in development that will retail for under $150. However there is no word on why it was held up (it was supposed to be released in February) or when it will actually see the light of day. I was hoping for some feedback here.

As to the other stuff... I could certainly set up a dual boot on the Mac Pro, but I'd prefer to save the disk space for my photo and video work, and not load my disk with Windows XP and it's associated garbage. I'd also like the ability to have a game going over on my gaming pc, and instantly switch back to the Mac to check email or look something up in Safari/Camino.

This is my preferred setup. It works for me.

And simplify my life? I own 3 laptops, 2pcs, and a couple of Macs (soon to be 1 more.)
I don't think I have the simplification gene. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hey squidly..did you manage to find a KVM switch?

let me know. i'm about to buy a new mac pro in a few weeks and may need to buy a 4xDVI KVM which means i'll have my current 2x KVM from addlogix to sell if you'd be interested.

Cheers,
Keebler

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I have the gefen dual DVI KVM, and it works decently well. They include all cables, including USB cables and dual DVI cables galore. Also includes an IR remote, which is nice. You have to adjust the signal with these small tuning dials which sucks. Occasionally there is a little signal noise when the PC boots up.

yes its expensive, BUT, if you want to play right now, you have to pay. Its the cheapest one on the market. $360 at http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ext-dvi-241dl.html

Wish the Belkin wasnt still in vaporware stage... but that is the current state of affairs.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I have the gefen dual DVI KVM, and it works decently well. They include all cables, including USB cables and dual DVI cables galore. Also includes an IR remote, which is nice. You have to adjust the signal with these small tuning dials which sucks. Occasionally there is a little signal noise when the PC boots up.

yes its expensive, BUT, if you want to play right now, you have to pay. Its the cheapest one on the market. $360 at http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ext-dvi-241dl.html

Wish the Belkin wasnt still in vaporware stage... but that is the current state of affairs.

thanks RichP for the update. if i keep my g4, i'll need a 4 port b/c i'll have 3 macs...or i sell the g4 or i keep it and buy another monitor, but space wise, it would be nice to keep everything in one spot. i currently have the addlogix dvi kvm.

decisions...decisions... ugh :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.