PDA

View Full Version : Creative Suite 3 Packages Revealed

MacRumors
Mar 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

AppleInsider claims to have uncovered the specifics (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2596) of how Creative Suite 3's bundles will be broken down.

CS3 Design Standard/Premium
Reportedly aimed at "print and publishing professionals", the standard bundle will include InDesign CS3, Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, and Acrobat 8 Professional. The Premium edition will tack on Flash CS3 Professional and Dreamweaver CS3, and exchange the standard version of Photoshop for Photoshop CS3 Extended (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/08/adobe-photoshop-cs3-extended-coming-soon/).

CS3 Web Standard/Premium
Aimed at web developers, the standard edition will include Flash CS3 Professional, Dreamweaver CS3, Fireworks CS3, and Contribute CS3. The premium edition will add Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator CS3, and Acrobat 8 Professional for more demanding users.

CS3 Production Premium
For filmmakers and video production professionals, Adobe will be issuing Production Premium containing Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator CS3, Flash CS3 Professional, After Effects CS3 Professional, Premier Pro CS3, Soundbooth CS3, and Encore CS3.

Lastly, Adobe will market a package of all of the CS3 products under the name of Master Collection. For further reading, AppleInsider has the rumored product matrix along with European pricing listed on its site.

Adobe has a press conference scheduled for next Tuesday (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/05/adobe-to-ship-cs3-march-27th/) in New York in which CS3 packages and pricing will be discussed.

Eidorian
Mar 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
Needs more Academic pricing.

Blue Velvet
Mar 23, 2007, 03:17 PM
That product matrix is getting a little congested, to my eyes anyway.

craigverse
Looks like they dropped go live for dreamweaver. Sweet.

mustard
Can't wait for pricing and a full description or upgrade options.

Mar 23, 2007, 03:19 PM
That product matrix is getting a little congested, to my eyes anyway.

This is also known as Vista effect...poor Adobe...more and more like crappy MS...especially in terms of marketing...couldn't be worse. What's next now? Adobe Creative Suite Premium Luxury Business Web Developers Edition? Gimme a break...

bigandy
Mar 23, 2007, 03:20 PM

Agreed. And that pricing? Ouch.

I can't wait to see the academic pricing so I can maybe get teh mbp sorted with CS at last... :)

Fuzzy Orange
Mar 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
Has Adobe usually released the Academic versions of the CS alongside the regular releases? If so, I would be thrilled. I'm purchasing Photoshop CS3 in June, and the Academic version would save me lots of $$$$.

brad.c
Mar 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
The pricing looks a little muffed up on the Appleinsider site: you only get Photoshop CS3 in the Design Standard grid? I think not.

Edit: Oops. I missed the "Photoshop CS3 Extended" entry. Now I'm confused.

Wait. Friday afternoon. Look, there's a pub.

Bye.

heehee
Mar 23, 2007, 03:29 PM
The pricing looks a little muffed up on the Appleinsider site: you only get Photoshop CS3 in the Design Standard grid? I think not.

The rest get Photoshop CS3 Extended. ;)

swingerofbirch
Mar 23, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think it's interesting how with the pricing of Adobe products there are in reality two extremes: people who pay nothing for it (warez) and people who pay for it (very expensive). I guess it's the type of software some people use for their career. It's frustrating for me, as a college student, I just like playing with PhotoShop and GoLive (well, not any more lol, I guess I would switch to Dreamweaver). At least it's coming!

You think if everyone who uses Adobe products paid for them the price would be lower for everyone????? Are the prices higher because they know some people will steal it?

uv23
Mar 23, 2007, 03:30 PM
Nothing irritates me more than convoluted packages. This is a big fat negative for me.

dashiel
Mar 23, 2007, 03:40 PM
i'm curious as to the upgrade prices post macromedia merger.

i own photoshop and illustrator CS2 and the entire macromedia 8 suite. currently the upgrade to a CS2 suite from photoshop is way too expensive to justify, but considering i'll own four of the six products in premium, it had better be reasonable.

heehee
Mar 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think it's interesting how with the pricing of Adobe products there are in reality two extremes: people who pay nothing for it (warez) and people who pay for it (very expensive). I guess it's the type of software some people use for their career. It's frustrating for me, as a college student, I just like playing with PhotoShop and GoLive (well, not any more lol, I guess I would switch to Dreamweaver). At least it's coming!

The student versions are not that expensive, they are usually a fraction of what the regular price are.

Reach
Mar 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
As a professional running my own company, this packaging is perfect. With Design Premium I get Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Dreamweaver and Flash, and I use all those applications to make money. When you look at it that way, the price isn't that high for me. All I need apart from this suite is Final Cut Studio and Logic.

I'm actually glad that I can buy three suites instead of 15 separate applications, the price ain't that bad. :)

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2007, 04:00 PM

yes, that would be nice

aafuss1
Mar 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
Contribute CS3-would be Contribute 4 perhaps now as a universal binary.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 23, 2007, 04:14 PM
It is Ironic that Adobe has left Fireworks out of the Premium Design Package and InDesign Out of the Premium Web Package.

This is a terrible ommission obviously designed at confusing things and Milking Extra Revenue out of True Print and Web Production Pros.

nagromme
Mar 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
I wish I could just "pick any 5" but a couple of those bundles are very close to what I need: Dreamweaver, Flash, Contribute, Photoshop, and vector drawing. Throw in some upgrade discounts and I might be set. I don't really need Acrobat or Fireworks, but they'd see occasional use I guess.

Just so long as there's a GOOD import path from Freehand 10 to Illustrator :o

Too bad Director's not mentioned, but they've said it will gain new versions/features--just not now I guess. Meanwhile Director MX 2004 does appear to run OK in Rosetta AND build executables for Vista, so I'm not totally stuck.

Westside guy
Mar 23, 2007, 04:21 PM
FIREWORKS? Why the heck didn't they kill that?

It seems quite silly to have a supposedly web-targeted package that doesn't contain Photoshop. "Web Premium" indeed - as if "Web standard" will have any market whatsoever.

gugy
Mar 23, 2007, 04:25 PM
oh my god!!!:eek:

After Effects CS3 is coming! WOW! i did not expect that.
sorry to say, bye, bye to my Quad G5.
Now there is no reason to keep it. All the apps I need native Intel, I am buying that Octo-core as soon as is release.

Great news.:) :D :eek: ;)

Mxsix
Mar 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
That Web Standard package should be nice. Can't wait to start developing with it. :)

lazyrighteye
Mar 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
Did I miss something?
If all you want to upgrade is (say) Photoshop, is that possible under this annoying new schematic?

alansky
Mar 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
If all you want to upgrade is (say) Photoshop, is that possible under this annoying new schematic?

You can always buy just a Photoshop upgrade. The upgrade price is usually $179 (probably less for students). This article is about one thing only: Adobe Creative Suite 3, which bundles Photoshop with various other Adobe applications.

Avicdar
Mar 23, 2007, 04:45 PM
Surprising.

wmmk
Mar 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
It is Ironic that Adobe has left Fireworks out of the Premium Design Package and InDesign Out of the Premium Web Package.

This is a terrible ommission obviously designed at confusing things and Milking Extra Revenue out of True Print and Web Production Pros.

I dunno. InDesign is really a print thing. Photoshop should come with ImageReady, which should suffice for print designers doing the occasional web graphics.

Being a teenager, I never thought I'd need or even be able to afford big bad CS, but now that I'm making good $$$ for webdesign (don't worry real webdesigners, I get that much more than minimum wage;) ), I'm thinking...

I wonder if I'll get a better deal with Design Premium or getting Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver individually. I sure hope academic pricing is good and extends to K-12 students!

Bill Av
Mar 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
I hope it comes on a DVD, and not 15 CDs :eek:.

lazyrighteye
Mar 23, 2007, 05:01 PM

You can always buy just a Photoshop upgrade. The upgrade price is usually $179 (probably less for students). This article is about one thing only: Adobe Creative Suite 3, which bundles Photoshop with various other Adobe applications.

I guess I was hinting at more an ala carte option.
Like InDesign CS3, Soundbooth CS3 and Flash CS3 Pro, pretend.
Possible or not?

Stupid software bundles...

Multimedia
Mar 23, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well I sure hope they have a roundtrip like they do with ImageReady

"Save for Web..."

I don't want to hassle among programs to reduce images. In that case I'll run PS 8 in Rosetta. I read for image file size reduction type stuff, it's plenty fast. Looking forward to next Tuesday's event. It'll give us something to write about for a few days. :p

This kind of bundling I find pigeonholes people into very limited carreer types that don't necessarily jive with today's multimedia professionals who are working in all sorts of disciplines simultaneously.

Perhaps a better selling scheme would be to set different prices for x, y and z amounts of whatever apps you want instead of only the sets they think you want.

CTYankee
Mar 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
You think if everyone who uses Adobe products paid for them the price would be lower for everyone????? Are the prices higher because they know some people will steal it?

Of course...its not at all uncommon to build losses into the cost so the consumer pays for what other's steal. My old company used to have higher prices in certain countries and part of the way it was determined was how active the black market was (fake products with our brand on them).

There are many who say they can't justify the cost of PS...so thats a large part of why we got Elements. Now there is some talk of a ~$300 version of PS. Adobe may have seen many people buy Elements rather than use pirated PS copies and may go after the remaining people who are still morally challenged.

dkirlew
Mar 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
From information I've read Lightroom was not intendned to be a part of the Creative Suite. I'll wait until Tuesday at the announcement as to Adobe's packages and prices. As of now it is still speculation.

decksnap
Mar 23, 2007, 05:26 PM

It seems quite silly to have a supposedly web-targeted package that doesn't contain Photoshop. "Web Premium" indeed - as if "Web standard" will have any market whatsoever.

Because Fireworks kicks ass IMO. The features and workflow are way better for straight web work than Photoshop.

nostaws
Mar 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
What is the latest with Freehand? Is it just going to rot away? I have always preferred it to Illustrator. Illustrator is a good product but change is hard, and I have used Freehand since the 2.2 Aldus days.

Blue Velvet
Mar 23, 2007, 05:48 PM
What is the latest with Freehand?

This is the future of Freehand.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/illustrator/articles/illcs2ip_fhillmigr/illcs2ip_fhillmigr.pdf

In other words, learn to change or use your software until no machine or OS supports it.

TheAnswer
Mar 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
I was kinda hoping for a bare-bones "Barely Creative Suite" with just Photoshop and Illustrator in it. I've never gotten around to needing either InDesign or GoLive, so I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the CS or downgrade to the individual apps this time around...guess that depends on the pricing.

yojitani
Mar 23, 2007, 05:53 PM

I partially agree. Fireworks integration with dreamweaver is... helpful. i was hoping that they would integrate those functions of Fireworks into photoshop. However, I can see why they wouldn't. With the additional functionality, photoshop might just be that much bulkier.

At any rate, hurrah!! Can't wait to have dreamweaver and flash running natively on my intels!!!! It's not, actually, that they run too badly on rosetta, but the battery gulping is bad..

ferrisb
Mar 23, 2007, 05:55 PM

Fireworks is great for web development - especially when you don't need the extra photo editing that Photoshop provides. I use it all the time for preparing images for the web. Photoshop is great at editing photos, but when I'm creating a site comp, or chopping images up to go online, FW is the best.

Also, I'm sure there's a great market for the Web Standard - otherwise they wouldn't bother to produce it. Believe it or not, you can produce content for the web without Photoshop - and if you don't have the cash to get the premium suite, the standard is still going to get you the tools you'll need to get the job done.

zoozx
Mar 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
Adobe is brain dead.
Getting more like microsoft daily. It's lost it's creative touch and become a boring corporate giant.
Thumbs down across the board.
Ever since CS the new useful interesting creative professional tools have been at a stand still while they jam the programs with fluff and frills.
Photoshop being a complete disappointment.

clanmesa
Mar 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
Well I sure hope they have a roundtrip like they do with ImageReady

"Save for Web..."
This kind of bundling I find pigeonholes people into very limited carreer types that don't necessarily jive with today's multimedia professionals who are working in all sorts of disciplines simultaneously.

It annoys me every time I have to fill out a form that says what I do, and you'd think Adobe would realize that many of their customers are cross-discipline. I do print AND web. I'm not one or the other, I'm both. You know, the Census bureau finally realized that people might not be just Caucasian, or just Hispanic, so they started letting people check more than one box. Hello? Adobe? Perhaps if your drop-down menu for job type wasn't so restricted, your database reports would help you realize that many of your customers are cross-discipline.

puckhead193
Mar 23, 2007, 06:28 PM
Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium
With film and video production professionals within its cross-hairs, Adobe also plans to roll out a €1999 suite called "Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 Production Premium." In addition to Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator CS3, and Flash CS3 Professional, the package will include After Effects CS3 Professional, Premier Pro CS3, Soundbooth CS3, and Encore CS3.
what is this in US dollars?
God i hope their is academic pricing that actually will get students to buy it instead of steal it :rolleyes:

mark88
Mar 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
What a totally mish mash of packages, doesn't make sense at all.

The web standard package doesn't include Photoshop CS3, yet the web premium package includes Photoshop CS3 Extended??? Why would web designer want 3D/Video capibilities in photoshop? Seems dumb not to offer the standard photoshop at a lower price in the premium package.

Secondly, Fireworks and inDesign don't come together in ANY package except the master one!!!!! I wanted:

Dreamweaver
Flash
Fireworks
Photoshop
Illustrator
InDesign

If you want those 6 apps It will cost you 2269 euros!!! :-/

meh

clanmesa
Mar 23, 2007, 06:39 PM

There's a free widget for dashboard that converts one sort of measurement/currency to another, called unit converter. If you download that, you can convert any of the prices in the article to U.S. dollars.

~Shard~
Mar 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
I hope it comes on a DVD, and not 15 CDs :eek:.

What's a CD? Is that like those floppy things I've heard about from ages ago?... :confused:

:p :cool:

Cult Follower
Mar 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
If the standard web version was to have Photoshop, it would be perfect.

Master Atrus
Mar 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
So I have a question ... since I have CS2 Professional, can I use the upgrade and get the Macromedia items or will I have to own those as well (meaning I'd have to purchase those first?) I sincerely hope that isn't true.

jonharris200
Mar 23, 2007, 07:18 PM
One small thing irks me. When oh when will Adobe improve their own logo?

photomaniac
Mar 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
WOOHOOO!!!!! Can't wait! This is exciting stuff! I"m so looking forward to the release! Everything will (should) run really smooth on the new Intels! :)

Sdashiki
Mar 23, 2007, 07:29 PM
Its nice to work for a company who gets free upgrades, well the entire "company" does, and we get a new license and upgrades.

Either way, I did have CS3 budgeted for this year, along with a new (ewww) PC!

GO ME!

ps: this is cuz, godizillizam thats alot of money!

though, since AE is all Id ever want from Adobe for my personal self, lets hope they sell that separately

avkills
Mar 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
They need a FCP professional Bundle that just comes with After Effects CS3, Photoshop CS 3 Extended and Illustrator CS3.

But anyhoo, whatever, I'll take em all for the video bundle.

-mark

Analog Kid
Mar 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
Nothing irritates me more than convoluted packages. This is a big fat negative for me.
Agreed. Then I went to their web site and looked at their full product list-- when did it get that out of hand?! Is that still the effects of the Macromedia acquisition?
God i hope their is academic pricing that actually will get students to buy it instead of steal it :rolleyes:
Too much. If you want a more accurate number, multiply by 1.33.

In the past, Adobe has given academic pricing that was good enough to get thieves to consider going to school. I expect that will continue.
If the standard web version was to have Photoshop, it would be perfect.
Agreed. Which is why it wont. The idea is to force you to buy more than you need to-- so they put together a bunch of packages that are one application short of what you need and then give you Premium option that has more in it than you want.

BiikeMike
Mar 23, 2007, 09:37 PM
FINALLY! some news that is not about the :apple: TV!

I'm going to wait until Adobe officially announces whats going on this Tuesday before passing judgement. I plan on getting ONE of these bundles, just not sure which.

I wonder how Premier is going to stack up against FCP? It better have some SERIOUSLY bangin' features and run super-duper fast, or they will never sell it!

grafikat
Mar 23, 2007, 09:56 PM
In the past, Adobe has given academic pricing that was good enough to get thieves to consider going to school.

I actually took a class at the community college and still saved money over the retail price....ended up taking a course every semester!

aafuss1
Mar 23, 2007, 10:38 PM
The number of rumored CS3 editions is almost near the number of Windows Vista's editions.

CoreWeb
Mar 23, 2007, 11:00 PM
You know... they should have "custom-build" options, where you can PICK which ones you want, and still have it be a bundle. I know you can almost do that by buying the products separate, but that costs more.

Or, actually, it could cost less... I might need Photoshop, Acrobat, Fireworks, InDesign, Illustrator. Oops! That crosses over Web and Design groups! I somehow think it would cost more to get both Web and Design together than to buy each separate.

Darkroom
Mar 24, 2007, 12:13 AM
"Master Collection" sounds really pretentious... but wow, what a collection!

dante@sisna.com
Mar 24, 2007, 12:38 AM
What a totally mish mash of packages, doesn't make sense at all.

The web standard package doesn't include Photoshop CS3, yet the web premium package includes Photoshop CS3 Extended??? Why would web designer want 3D/Video capibilities in photoshop? Seems dumb not to offer the standard photoshop at a lower price in the premium package.

Secondly, Fireworks and inDesign don't come together in ANY package except the master one!!!!! I wanted:

Dreamweaver
Flash
Fireworks
Photoshop
Illustrator
InDesign

If you want those 6 apps It will cost you 2269 euros!!! :-/

meh

Yes -- Exactly -- Fireworks has good flash integration and is occassionally useful. It should be included in both the print design premium.

I am sure they did this on purpose to force a second sale even on upgrades.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 24, 2007, 02:11 AM
It annoys me every time I have to fill out a form that says what I do, and you'd think Adobe would realize that many of their customers are cross-discipline. I do print AND web. I'm not one or the other, I'm both. You know, the Census bureau finally realized that people might not be just Caucasian, or just Hispanic, so they started letting people check more than one box. Hello? Adobe? Perhaps if your drop-down menu for job type wasn't so restricted, your database reports would help you realize that many of your customers are cross-discipline.

Yes -- Adobe needs to read these forums.

But I personally think they do know -- I think their marketing department is angling to force added sales. Which is lame considering the previous professional bundle in CS2 which did hit BOTH market segments.

Reach
Mar 24, 2007, 03:18 AM
Yes -- Adobe needs to read these forums.

But I personally think they do know -- I think their marketing department is angling to force added sales. Which is lame considering the previous professional bundle in CS2 which did hit BOTH market segments.

Well, I do both (Print/Web), but I don't really need FireWorks, so I'm happy.. At least there's some of us that appreciate the Print Premium-bundle..

(Of course, me not needing FireWorks requires that basic web-stuff like slices etc will be doable in Photoshop, which I assume will be the case.)

kitki83
Mar 24, 2007, 03:34 AM
I been relying my work to do freelancing how immoral that is, I know.
But now that its coming, I cant wait to get it. Just hope its a resonable package. I wish they offered a la carte deal or something.

sarge
Mar 24, 2007, 08:00 AM
Assuming the chart and pricing are accurate the Web Design pkg is about 20 percent cheaper than the Print or 'Design' pkg. The overlaps shown below:

Indesign (CS Design Premium)
PS Extended
Illustrator
Acrobat
Flash
Dreamweaver
Fireworks (CS Web Premium)
Contribute (CS Web Premium)

If I were to choose, I would go with the Web pkg and upgrade my copy of InDesign. Last time I checked, an upgrade is $165. I'd save $ over buying the print pkg and get more features.

technicolor
Mar 24, 2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah these package collections are pretty bunk. Adobe assumes creative professionals and students only specialize in one thing?
:confused:

I wonder what the academic pricing on the master collection will be? Even though some of those apps I dont need, but I do need ID and AE.

adamfilip
Mar 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
i dont see the problem with the pricing

adobe charged like 1500 bux for its CS2 Premium Suite
and Macromedia Charged around 1000 for theres

not that they are one in the same..

you get everything for like 2500

seems like pricing hasnt changed much

notsofatjames
Mar 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
I dont think its as complex as the vista packaging. home, business, home business, business home, home extra, business extra, home business extra,...

Shotglass
Mar 24, 2007, 10:49 AM
Question:
Is "Academic pricing" the same as "Educational Version"?
I need CS3, but there is no way I can afford that.

finchna
Mar 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
I guess they had to try and guess what we need and make bundles of specific products. So if I need one more than a given bundle--then what? How about a DVD of everything and reasonably priced unlocking licenses for each product so we can mix and match as we want?

iMeowbot
Mar 24, 2007, 12:57 PM
(Of course, me not needing FireWorks requires that basic web-stuff like slices etc will be doable in Photoshop, which I assume will be the case.)
Yes, even PS CS2 has slices, animation, etc. ImageReady had been kept around for familiarity, but it was already pretty much redundant. With CS3 they've added some bells and whistles in that area to PS, that IR never had.

alexf
Mar 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
Too bad they killed GoLive - this is a major disappointment :(

While it definitely has its drawbacks, the interface is far superior to Dreamweaver, and I have always found it much more elegant and intuitive to use. Maybe the new Dreamweaver will incorporate some of the advantanges of each app.

However, it's completely understandable that they would axe GL, as DW is the industry standard I can't imagine why they would offer two Web development apps in the suite.

corywoolf
Mar 24, 2007, 01:49 PM
Been holding out on getting After Effects 7.0 for sometime now, 6.5 is still pretty awesome, but now that it is finally going universal, it should speed up my workflow on my MBP. Wonder if the new After Effects will be 7.5? I hope they add some useful features like they did with the 6.5 upgrade (intro of template based text animations to compete with Livetype ease of use). Wonder how much the student edition will be? Hopefully $350 for just AE.

Darkroom
Mar 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
as expected, they killed Adobe GoLive for Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, but i'm confused as to why Fireworks wasn't killed off by Photoshop/ImageReady CS3... maybe i'm ignorant, but isn't Fireworks about the same thing as PS?

technicolor
Mar 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
but isn't Fireworks about the same thing as PS?

No.

Westside guy
Mar 24, 2007, 04:09 PM
I don't see that anyone has pointed this out - right there on that page it mentions that Adobe's European prices have always been significantly higher than their American prices. So, doing the conversion from Euros to Dollars isn't likely to tell you how much it's going to cost here in the USA.

I'd think their new "standard" packages are going to cost pretty much the same as their old packages. That'd mean the educational prices on those will likely be $299; although it'll be interesting to see if students get a further discount, like they do now. For regular prices, that'd be - what - $699 or so? So the premium prices might be $899 or $999. STILL a lot of money, but people pay it...

Westside guy
Mar 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
... maybe i'm ignorant, but isn't Fireworks about the same thing as PS?

No.

How about actually spelling the significant differences out, rather than giving a totally unhelpful answer? People usually talk about image slicing and rollovers being available in Fireworks, but in my mind that's pretty trivial stuff - especially now that people aren't generally on modems. What exactly is it that Fireworks does that is difficult or unavailable in Photoshop/ImageReady (and frankly I've never thought ImageReady was a particularly valuable addition to Photoshop)?

I know that sounds rather confrontational, but I'd really like to hear what Fireworks fans have to say.

dkirlew
Mar 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
as expected, they killed Adobe GoLive for Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, but i'm confused as to why Fireworks wasn't killed off by Photoshop/ImageReady CS3... maybe i'm ignorant, but isn't Fireworks about the same thing as PS?

Okay from the Creative Suite GoLive was killed off but it will not be discontinued. It will just be a standalone app. As far as Photoshop/ImageReady and FireWorks I'm interested to hear about that too.

Sdashiki
Mar 24, 2007, 06:47 PM
you saying they are "dropping" GoLive, in favor of Dreamweaver.

but keeping it as a standalone?

why? that makes no sense.

perhaps I am mistaken, but maybe you mean they will continue to support it? But no more new versions

dkirlew
Mar 24, 2007, 07:49 PM
you saying they are "dropping" GoLive, in favor of Dreamweaver.

but keeping it as a standalone?

why? that makes no sense.

perhaps I am mistaken, but maybe you mean they will continue to support it? But no more new versions

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200609/091806CreativeSuite.html

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3553a

This Adobe press release should answer your questions on GoLive, as well as a post from the adobe forums on the possibility of GoLive. Dropping wasn't the right word to use. I probably should've said Adobe is replacing GoLive with Dreamweaver in the Creative Suite. From information I've read Adobe IS NOT discontinuing GoLive. I could be wrong though. I hope I'm not since I have used both Dreamweaver and GoLive although I've used Dreamweaver more.

dannyallen34
Mar 24, 2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Creative-Suite-Production-Premium/dp/B000OI2B00

Real box art? Confirms what was told to AppleInsider.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Creative-Design-Premium-Upsell/dp/B000OI68J0/ref=sr_1_21/103-5139911-7807805?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1174784331&sr=1-21

EDIT: Found Design Premium on Amazon too.

Do the colors on the boxes correlate to the icons of the programs within?

Konradx
Mar 24, 2007, 08:28 PM
I'll be getting the CS3 Design Standard/Premium edition at work really soon!

failsafe1
Mar 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
Wow way too many options. I look over the bundles that include After Effects and I see a few things I don't need or even know what they are? What is Encore? Who wants Contribute? I don't need or want Premiere. Man I may have to just get a simple PS upgrade and go from there.I am glad I upgraded my FCP To studio. Now if I want to ignore AE I can at least use Motion. Not the same but cheaper. Perhaps the upgrade path will be reasonable. A lot of folks have several programs myself included. Both Adobe and MM. Time will tell.

bretm
Mar 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
I wish I could just "pick any 5" but a couple of those bundles are very close to what I need: Dreamweaver, Flash, Contribute, Photoshop, and vector drawing. Throw in some upgrade discounts and I might be set. I don't really need Acrobat or Fireworks, but they'd see occasional use I guess.

Just so long as there's a GOOD import path from Freehand 10 to Illustrator :o

Too bad Director's not mentioned, but they've said it will gain new versions/features--just not now I guess. Meanwhile Director MX 2004 does appear to run OK in Rosetta AND build executables for Vista, so I'm not totally stuck.

OMG that would be awesome. For us jack of all trades not one of these packages makes any sense.

I do web design, video editing, and some motion graphics (AE). So, I need DW, PS, FCP (no premere), AE, AI, and I guess I need to learn flash and ditch LiveMotion for good (it's getting wacky in 10.3/10.4.

wmmk
Mar 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
A thought just occurred to me. Can you use the edu version to make sites or process photos that will be sold for profit? I'm an junior high student, and I'd mostly just use CS3 programs for tinkering and going over the top for school stuff like making flyers for events and such, but I do occasionally design a site for a bit of extra cash. Will I have to buy the normal version?

psycoswimmer
Mar 24, 2007, 10:47 PM
A thought just occurred to me. Can you use the edu version to make sites or process photos that will be sold for profit? I'm an junior high student, and I'd mostly just use CS3 programs for tinkering and going over the top for school stuff like making flyers for events and such, but I do occasionally design a site for a bit of extra cash. Will I have to buy the normal version?

A little off topic, but can junior-high students (I'm assuming you mean 7th & 8th grade, maybe high school?) use the education discount? If so, I'd love to have known this when I was buying my Mac.

bretm
Mar 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
Been holding out on getting After Effects 7.0 for sometime now, 6.5 is still pretty awesome, but now that it is finally going universal, it should speed up my workflow on my MBP. Wonder if the new After Effects will be 7.5? I hope they add some useful features like they did with the 6.5 upgrade (intro of template based text animations to compete with Livetype ease of use). Wonder how much the student edition will be? Hopefully $350 for just AE.

The new AE is 8. I know a guy... shhhh.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
How about actually spelling the significant differences out, rather than giving a totally unhelpful answer? People usually talk about image slicing and rollovers being available in Fireworks, but in my mind that's pretty trivial stuff - especially now that people aren't generally on modems. What exactly is it that Fireworks does that is difficult or unavailable in Photoshop/ImageReady (and frankly I've never thought ImageReady was a particularly valuable addition to Photoshop)?

I know that sounds rather confrontational, but I'd really like to hear what Fireworks fans have to say.

Fireworks has FAR Better One Click Integration with Flash 8 than either Photoshop or Illustrator. Plus the features that carry over from Fireworks into Flash are much more robust and speed development in Flash.

alansky
Mar 24, 2007, 11:36 PM
A few months ago I read a quote from Bruce Chizen saying that Adobe was planning to re-release GoLive as a web design tool for designers while promoting Dreamweaver as a web authoring tool for professional web developers. Considering how designer-unfriendly Dreamweaver has always been, this could be a very good thing. Expecting designers to learn HTML is like expecting print designers to learn Postscript. The very idea is absurd.

dkirlew
Mar 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
A little off topic, but can junior-high students (I'm assuming you mean 7th & 8th grade, maybe high school?) use the education discount? If so, I'd love to have known this when I was buying my Mac.

I read a post once (will have to dig it up and provide the link) on the issue of using the Adobe edu versions for profit. According to the post yes you can however, according to the information I've read you cannot use the former Macromedia (Dreamweaver, Flalsh, Contribute, FireWorks, Freehand, Director, etc) edu versions this way, unless Adobe changes the policy in this bundle. When I find the link I will post it.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bbe8105 This isn't the original post I was thinking of concerning the topic but it does explain it.

bigbossbmb
Mar 25, 2007, 12:48 AM
academicsuperstore.com (http://www.academicsuperstore.com/) will let you know who is eligible for edu discount for each product...

technicolor
Mar 25, 2007, 02:00 AM

Why Fireworks? (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html)

biturbomunkie
Mar 25, 2007, 02:06 AM
awwww can't wait for UB CS3...

Carbon Copy
Mar 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
I thought they were ditching imageready for fireworks, i need indesign, photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash and possibly firworks, depends on imageready, do you reacon it will be added on to photoshop like previous releases?

psycoswimmer
Mar 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
academicsuperstore.com (http://www.academicsuperstore.com/) will let you know who is eligible for edu discount for each product...

Thanks for that link! That gave me everything I needed to know, really.

kromekat
Mar 25, 2007, 03:22 PM
Unless I missed it - anybody know what the upgrade pricing will be for the suites - ie CS2 premium to CS3 premium!?

Adam

technicolor
Mar 25, 2007, 04:32 PM

hmm

i think my school prices will be cheaper, cs2 was only 199
but thanks for the link

Jookbox
Mar 26, 2007, 12:49 AM
don't know about price, but i can use every app in the web premium package. i never felt that way about adobe bundles since it always contained that crappy golive program.

brianus
Mar 26, 2007, 08:55 AM
Ugh, no upgrade from CS2 Premium to Design Premium? Lame. I was looking forward to trying out Flash, but restricted to these upgrades, Design Standard seems like the only way to go. We can go without the replacements to the web stuff if we have to, it's the print stuff we really need.. Oh well.

failsafe1
Mar 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
I read a post once (will have to dig it up and provide the link) on the issue of using the Adobe edu versions for profit. According to the post yes you can however, according to the information I've read you cannot use the former Macromedia (Dreamweaver, Flalsh, Contribute, FireWorks, Freehand, Director, etc) edu versions this way, unless Adobe changes the policy in this bundle. When I find the link I will post it.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bbe8105 This isn't the original post I was thinking of concerning the topic but it does explain it.

Interesting link. The Adobe page used to clearly spell out that academic software could not be used for commercial work. Unless this changed from CS to CS2 I would not trust a forum discussion. I am going over to the Adobe page to check on that now. I work at a University and would like to be able to do commercial work in my free time.

failsafe1
Mar 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry just checked the Adobe page end user license FAQs and here is what it says:

As set forth in the EULA, Education versions cannot be used for any commercial purpose. A commercial purpose is any revenue-generating activity beyond an educational institution's usual and customary educational activities.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19592#edu

decksnap
Mar 26, 2007, 11:14 AM

Well for me it's a lot of things... but the frame and layer setup in Fireworks is perfect for everything i do. I use it to manage multiple comps with multiple layers, with some layers shared across frames and some not. I use it for storing source stacks of templated items, or for building button states, or animated web banners.

Believe me, I use Photoshop pretty much daily, but I use it more for what it's tuned for. The tools and environment in Fireworks are tuned specifically for building web graphics, and I find it much quicker at getting the results I need.

It's not necessarily a question of what's available in Photoshop and what is not. I'm sure I could draw a logo in Photoshop if I really wanted to, but I'd rather use Illustrator.