PDA

View Full Version : iTunes: Sony TV Shows and Apple TV Showcase

MacRumors
Mar 23, 2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld reports (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/22/sony/index.php?lsrc=mwrss) that Sony will be delivering several new TV shows to Apple's iTunes Store.

The new shows include "News Radio", "'Til Death", the original animated "Spiderman", "Starsky and Hutch", and "Charlie's Angels" and have already appeared on iTunes.

Meanwhile, for new Apple TV owners, Apple has compiled an Apple TV podcast showcase (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPlayListsPage?fcId=219796333&pageType=playlists&id=33) which are described as "podcasts that can make your television shine".

Ha ze
Mar 23, 2007, 03:31 PM
SONY!? Like... Sony, Sony!?

well that sure is interesting, but they should have music and movie in there before these mediocre tv shows

DavidLeblond
Mar 23, 2007, 03:40 PM
SONY!? Like... Sony, Sony!?

well that sure is interesting, but they should have music and movie in there before these mediocre tv shows

I'm pretty sure Sony music is already in there.

johnee
Mar 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
The new shows include ...."Starsky and Hutch", and "Charlie's Angels" and have already appeared on iTunes.

nobody watches those, what a joke :D

slffl
Mar 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
Man this is awesome. I can't wait to get a new Mac (mine is currently out of space) and an aTV. I only hope I can either get a huge raise, or Apple offers a subscription service. So much I want to download. :)

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
good news! hopefully this will lead to Sony movies?

CMC1187
Mar 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
I think Seinfeld would make a great addition to the TV Shows. I'm sure its been requested by many.

dejo
Mar 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
The new shows include "News Radio", "'Til Death", the original animated "Spiderman", "Starsky and Hutch", and "Charlie's Angels" and have already appeared on iTunes.
It's not the original 1967 animated Spider-man, but the 2003 MTV abomination.

kwajo.com
Mar 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
All praise NewsRadio, perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time! :D
Great news for iTunes!

SoldOutMatinee
Mar 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
What?! That's not the original animated Spider-Man. :mad:

lazyrighteye
Mar 23, 2007, 04:42 PM

BOO!

nateDEEZY
Mar 23, 2007, 04:43 PM
Old news! ;p I read this on macworld yesterday! :D Pshh had me all excited about the "original" spider man, but to me the original spider man waas the one the mid 90's one that aired on fox (i think) on saturday mornings. Correct me if i'm wrong though ;p

NewSc2
Mar 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
Old news! ;p I read this on macworld yesterday! :D Pshh had me all excited about the "original" spider man, but to me the original spider man waas the one the mid 90's one that aired on fox (i think) on saturday mornings. Correct me if i'm wrong though ;p

I was hoping for that one too...

itcomesinwaves
Mar 23, 2007, 05:12 PM
NEWS RADIO!

One of the greatest sitcoms for sure. The cast included:
The late Great Phil Hartman
Andy Dick
Maura Tierney
Stephen Root (Milton from office space)
Joe Rogan (pre-fear factor)
And Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall)

Phil Hartman died during the 4th season. They brought in Jon Lovitz (who was a frequent guest star) for the 5th season, but it wasn't quite the same.

News Radio quotes are as prolific as Simpsons quotes among my friends.

Man what a great show. Truely required viewing.

sam10685
Mar 23, 2007, 05:21 PM
where is House M.D.? and several other shows?

sam10685
Mar 23, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think Seinfeld would make a great addition to the TV Shows. I'm sure its been requested by many.

yep. requested by me. house md too.

synth3tik
Mar 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
And I just bought all the News Radio seasons on DVD:(

zap2
Mar 23, 2007, 05:28 PM
where is House M.D.? and several other shows?

Ya! I want House M.D. and Criminal Minds

sam10685
Mar 23, 2007, 05:31 PM

i already knew you wanted house md. haha! it's all good...

Jovian9
Mar 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
All praise NewsRadio, perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time! :D
Great news for iTunes!

Ahh yes. The first show on iTunes that I'm actually considering buying :)

Ja Di ksw
Mar 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
Wow, if people are now calling that the "original" animated Spiderman . . . . . .

I feel OLD

n-abounds
Mar 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
Wow, if people are now calling that the "original" animated Spiderman . . . . . .

I feel OLD

Well I'm 22 and I barely know about the old version. So, yea, I can see how kids nowadays don't know it.

NewSc2
Mar 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well I'm 22 and I barely know about the old version. So, yea, I can see how kids nowadays don't know it.

Well I'm 24 and I thought they were referring to the 1990's episodes. Didn't know they had TV way back in those days.

Kidding.. kidding...

SeaFox
Mar 23, 2007, 07:44 PM

What?! That's not the original animated Spider-Man. :mad:

Apparently Sony is using some new definition of "original" we're not familiar with. :p

Surreal
Mar 23, 2007, 07:49 PM
reading "original spiderman tv show," i thought "spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can"

i am 22
i am also a marvel nerd.:rolleyes: :p

Stella
Mar 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
Where's the Canadian iTMS content?!

bigandy
Mar 24, 2007, 04:08 AM

not there. nor is it in the UK, germany, russia, congo, kenya, or [insert country here]. how about everyone stops commenting and moaning each time something new gets added to the US iTS, and we just all wait until it comes to the international stores... we all know movies and tv shows are only available in the US.

:rolleyes:

Stella
Mar 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
not there. nor is it in the UK, germany, russia, congo, kenya, or [insert country here]. how about everyone stops commenting and moaning each time something new gets added to the US iTS, and we just all wait until it comes to the international stores... we all know movies and tv shows are only available in the US.

No ****, its not there, I think we've noticed.

Pffff.....

dashiel
Mar 24, 2007, 10:48 AM
wow glad to see there are other people who recognize the brilliance of newsradio. definitely the best sitcom of the 90s and one of the best all time.

Porchland
Mar 24, 2007, 11:08 AM

"House, M.D." is produced by NBC Universal and "Criminal Minds" is produced by ABC Touchstone, so I'm surprised they're not both already in the store.

There are actually a lot of current shows that aren't in the store: "Dancing with the Stars," "Brothers & Sisters," "Supernanny" and "Boston Legal" on ABC; "How I Met Your Mother," "The Class," "The Unit," "Cold Case" and "Without a Trace" on CBS; "Deal or No Deal" on NBC; and "American Idol" on Fox.

Plus, there are hundreds of catalog shows for iTunes still to bring out.

Apple is going to have to add a lot more shows to convince people to dump cable, but I see it happening eventually.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm glad I'm keeping my US account so I don't have to deal with the short end of the stick abroad :D

Anyway, this sort of thing is going to give AppleTV a real shot in the arm. The more content is added to iTunes, the more I want to dump my premium cable and just get basic for the stuff I'd rather not pay-per-episode, such as news, discovery channel stuff, food network, cartoons and other random tv things that are fun to watch but not worth paying for per episode. right now i keep my movie channels because it allows me to test out new releases without having to pay specifically for those.

As others and I have said before, renting iTunes movies seems like the most logical step. They need to get more from other major studios then give people the option to rent a temporary video file which allows one to watch it a few times then expires.

yagran
Mar 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
are fox tv shows on itunes store yet? family guy? god i cant w8 till this hits the uk

stagi
Mar 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
The wildlife shows look pretty cool, I downloaded a few to watch on my computer and makes me want to get the iTv even more (first thing is to upgrade my TV with a nice new plasma :)

rlreif
Mar 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
bah.
boycott sony.

chubad
Mar 24, 2007, 06:03 PM

Where's Canada? :D ;)

alec
Mar 24, 2007, 08:45 PM
Canada should merge with the US for consumer based reasons. Though health care for all sounds like something spawned by the Devil and his liberal bretheren.

FleurDuMal
Mar 24, 2007, 08:53 PM
are fox tv shows on itunes store yet? family guy? god i cant w8 till this hits the uk

Well, you're gonna have to wait. A long, long time too. :(

Porchland
Mar 25, 2007, 12:12 AM

Yes. "Bones," "24," "Prison Break" and a few others -- but not "American Idol" or "House, M.D."

By my count, all of the major TV producers have content on iTunes: NBC Universal, ABC Touchstone, CBS, Sony and Warner Brothers.

As for movie studios, Universal, Disney and Paramount are in; Warner Brothers and Sony to date are not.

I could see a dream Tuesday music/movie event looking something like this:

* iTunes la la la, market share, la la la

* Radiohead catalog

* "Seinfeld." Every single episode.

* "Lord of the Rings" trilogy (Warner Brothers announcement)

* "Spiderman 3" sneak peek.

* iPods la la la, speed bumps

* Apple TV la la la

* select movies in HD

One more thing:

* The Beatles

Stella
Mar 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
Canada should merge with the US for consumer based reasons. Though health care for all sounds like something spawned by the Devil and his liberal bretheren.

What, and have a retarded, blood thirsty president!?

Health care for all is great. How many americans can't afford health insurance? A huge portion.

But this is way off topic.