PDA

View Full Version : International Shutdown Day

Jasonbot
Mar 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
Only 1 Hour to go till International Shutdown Day (http://shutdownday.org) so I'll be away from my mac for a whole day. Post your experiences of the day here...

miloblithe
Mar 23, 2007, 04:19 PM
What a great plan for the weekend! I'm in.

SpookTheHamster
Mar 23, 2007, 04:25 PM
To be honest, I think this is pretty pointless.

If you actually have to plan to spend time away from a computer, you need help. How many people actually think it's going to be difficult to spend 24h without a computer?

furcalchick
Mar 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
i'm not participating today, but if you're in florida, you know how it is going without computer access for upwards of a week or more, among other things. a day isn't so hard, unless you're in the middle of isolation box.

Airforce
Mar 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
America loses if I don't use a computer :p

zblaxberg
Mar 23, 2007, 07:35 PM
no way could i do that...:eek: :eek: :eek:

EricNau
Mar 23, 2007, 07:54 PM
If there was actually a point, other than "to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day," I might consider it, but since there's not, I won't bother.

They could have simply estimated the energy saved or lbs. of CO2 kept out of the atmosphere if everyone turned off their computers for one day, or something... anything.

...But I have work to do anyway.

Stampyhead
Mar 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
...Besides, I have work to do.

Yeah, same here. I have to work all weekend...

SkyBell
Mar 23, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm going to the mall tomorrow, so I guess I'll shut 'er down for the day.

Seems like a good way to save electricity for a day.

spicyapple
Mar 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
Good luck on the plan but I got work to do. :D

Abstract
Mar 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
But if we do this, the terrorists will win.

TheAnswer
Mar 23, 2007, 09:24 PM
Had the mailman cooperated with my plan and delivered the Samurai Trilogy DVDs from my Netflix queue this afternoon instead of (apparently), waiting until tomorrow to do so, I could have given it a go. But no dice. :(

Xander562
Mar 23, 2007, 10:01 PM
Eeek! :eek: Never!!! Besides, i shut my computer down every night, that counts right?

princealfie
Mar 24, 2007, 07:55 AM
Wait a minute, doesn't that shutting down the current admin not the computer? :p

Jasonbot
Mar 25, 2007, 02:34 AM
I have returned... SO yes, I tried to participate but failed as I had to install windows on my stepbrothers mac and copy a game for my younger brother. But I didn't use macrumors or the internet, I hope that sorta counts a bit:D

Father Jack
Mar 25, 2007, 02:40 AM
Do without my Mac? ...................... I don't think so :eek:

Seems like a load of b***ocks to me.

FJ

nickster9224
Mar 25, 2007, 02:50 AM
i had partial shutdown, as in i was outside the whole day, and only used the internet in the morning

QCassidy352
Mar 25, 2007, 11:54 AM
erm... no. :p

GFLPraxis
Mar 25, 2007, 06:52 PM
I've got homework, wish I could join in :(

Also, nobody on that site seems to be taking it seriously.

zap2
Mar 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
Pointless...i can stop using my computer when ever I want( I go on trips without power for weeks), why do it now?

I want to connect to people around the world...my computer does that more me.

iAlan
Mar 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
What's a computer?

Anyways, I have gone a couple of days without using my computer -- I have watched TV or a DVD but no computer. I would like to say I have done it more times but given that my music collection is on my computer I have been know to fire it up to listen to some tunes. I guess I could slot my iPod in my iPod hifi and play some tunes and then not start my computer, but I just luv visualizer!

dmw007
Mar 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
Do without my Mac? ...................... I don't think so :eek:

Same here, the very thought of going without my Mac for a day induces sheer terror! :eek: ;) :apple:

localoid
Mar 27, 2007, 01:42 AM
I see the top answer to the question "What did you do on Shutdown Day" currently shown on the shutdown site is...

"I used my computer."

:p

savar
Mar 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
Only 1 Hour to go till International Shutdown Day (http://shutdownday.org) so I'll be away from my mac for a whole day. Post your experiences of the day here...

I think a better event would be called "Year round get off yer ass and do something".

I was on the computer a lot this weekend--doing freelance work to meet a Monday deadline. I also partied, watched basketball, played basketball, went running, worked out, balanced my checkbook, and called my mom.

Even when I don't use the computer, I still use the ipod, cell phone, TV, cable box, DVR, microwave, oven, range top, xbox 360, car radio, alarm clock, office phone, AV receiver, etc. Each of those items has buttons, a screen, and some kind of microprocessor inside.

I don't know what we're trying to hide from.

PS My favorite "what did you do on shutdown day" response: "high on cough syrup"...yeah buddy

dmw007
Mar 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
I see the top answer to the question "What did you do on Shutdown Day" currently shown on the shutdown site is...

"I used my computer."

:p

Seems rather contradictory doesn't it? :p ;) :D