Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
If I want to convert my DVD collection so that it will play on :apple: TV, which file type will give the best picture, MP4 or H264? What is the best program for each? Any other secrets I need?

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
If I want to convert my DVD collection so that it will play on :apple: TV, which file type will give the best picture, MP4 or H264? What is the best program for each? Any other secrets I need?

Here are the settings that I used....

"I have been ripping my DVDs using MediaFork with these settings: H.264 Video/AAC Audio with the framerate set to "Same as source" using the h.264 iPod 2-pass encoding with an average bitrate of 1100. Finally, I keep aspect ratio checked and lower the width to 640 (that way, it is easily played on the iPod). The result? A file between 800mb and 1.1gb (varies from movie, most are about 900mb). "

I personally think that the end file looks great on our Apple TV. For a better quality, you can up the average bitrate to say 1500 or so...It will also come at the expense of bigger file sizes. I'd just do one chapter of a movie in the different bitrates, then compare for yourself. Hope that helps

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Hmmm, Mediafork is not giving me the option of H264, what am I doing wrong?

Underneath the "Output Settings" use these...

File Format: MP4 File
Codecs: AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio

Then, Under the "Video" tab, use these...

Framerate: Same as Source
Encoder: x264 (h.264 iPod)
Select 2-Pass Encoding
Select Average Bitrate, then type in desired amount (1100 or so)

If you click the "Picture Settings" you can change the resolution...but I think you said that you wanted to leave it alone, so no need to alter these settings.

Enjoy :)

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
It is in the "encoder" drop-down menu, as shown:

381.jpg

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
It is in the "encoder" drop-down menu, as shown:
<pic/>

Great pic, I do not have MediaFork on the computer I'm currently using so I wasn't able to provide a pic.

On a side note...What is the difference of the h.264 Main and h.264 iPod at the same bitrates? Is the main a better image or what? I use the iPod setting just incase I ever want to throw one of these on the ipod, I can.

Chiggs

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
I too would really appreciate some guidance on the best quality settings to use when ripping my DVD's for playback on the Apple TV. I've been using MP4 file with a framerate same as source and a bitrate that's 2000. I don't care how large the media files are - I just want the files to look as close to DVD quality as possible on my Apple TV. Right now, the files are OK but certainly not DVD quality. Some dark colors have slight banding and some of the movement looks a little fuzzy/choppy.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I too would really appreciate some guidance on the best quality settings to use when ripping my DVD's [...] Right now, the files are OK but certainly not DVD quality. Some dark colors have slight banding and some of the movement looks a little fuzzy/choppy.

You're using MP4 files yes, but are they MPEG-4 or H.264? I did a few tests in MPEG-4 yesterday (aspect ratio tests for my 4:3 TV :rolleyes:) and the quality was definitely worst than H.264

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.