PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Porting Game

Phenax
Mar 23, 2007, 11:39 PM
Hello guys,
I'm here to ask for your help to port a free and open-source game to Mac OS X.

Alien Arena (http://red.planetarena.org/)

I am representing CodeRED: Alien Arena which is a free and open source first-person shooter that resembles the Quake, Doom, and Unreal Tournament series.

Version 6.04 is the latest version, and we're taking several leaps forward in development for our next release. We have added FreeBSD support (Thanks Alejandro -- our FreeBSD ports maintainer) and we are now striving to add Mac OS X support.

Unfortunately we don't have any Mac OS X computers, so this is where you come in.
We need someone who
Has basic building tools.. GNU Make, GNU C Compiler, etc.
Can actively communicate issues via IRC or other real-time methods.
Has a computer with full OpenGL support and a modest graphical processing unit. (If you can run Quake 3, then it is good enough).

Contact me via E-Mail; keletmaster(at)gmail(dot)com
Or of course respond here and we can set something up.

Kyle "Phenax" Hunter.

ninewhereman
Mar 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
This post would probably fit better in the programming section of this forum.

Rocksaurus
Mar 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
Well he's looking for people to test the game on OS X and report bugs back, much like beta testers do... And to properly test the game you have to play it a bunch, so I don't think he's in the wrong forum. If I was into FPSs I'd do it....

ninewhereman
Mar 24, 2007, 12:33 AM
Guess I read it too fast thought he was looking for people to actually help in the programming portion of porting the game.

Phenax
Mar 24, 2007, 01:03 AM
Nope -- no coding knowledge required. I'm simply looking for someone who can compile & test the game locally. I don't think it will compile right off of the bat, though. All you'd have to do is give me the error, I'll fix up some code, and then you re-test.

If it compiles off-the-bat (I wish..) then it's just a matter of playing the game and looking for any oddities.

takao
Mar 24, 2007, 06:12 AM
what are the rough system requirements ?

i ask because i only have a G4 mini and no intel machine yet and the thing only has a radeon 9200

also it's the question of how much in terms of data it would be since i will be back on a 64kbit line end of the coming week for 2 weeks

apart of that i'm inerested if i can help out

2nyRiggz
Mar 24, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'm interested as well if you can spill the beans on the requirements.

Bless

Phenax
Mar 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
1 ghz
256 mb RAM
500 mb hard disk space
3D Accelerator

A Radeon 9200, or a newer Intel integrated chipset should be fine.

takao
Mar 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
1 ghz
256 mb RAM
500 mb hard disk space
3D Accelerator

A Radeon 9200, or a newer Intel integrated chipset should be fine.

well then it should be doable
only question left is powerpc support i guess but i don't know how yo uare developing and i can give it a try i just need the instructions, sources etc.

Phenax
Mar 24, 2007, 01:43 PM
Actually, I'm going to suspend this until I port it to SDL, which is likely the best for better multi-OS support.