Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
My brother has been having with his Powerbook freezing for the last few weeks. He just got home from college and I experienced the same problem. Just a few minutes ago I tried restarting and it refused to start back up. I can access all the data easily with target disk mode so I think the hard drive is fine. Could it be the ram? Here is a picture of the message that shows up when I try to start it. Any help would be appreciated, and we are taking it to the Apple store first thing tomorrow. Thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0001.jpg
    SAM_0001.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 96

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
That's the horrible sign of a kernal panic. Bad RAM is a possibility. If you are able to access the hard drive from target disc mode, the hard drive is most likely okay, though that's not guaranteed. Hopefully the Genius Bar can be more help.

Cheers

misam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
nope, he did not add any new software or hardware recently. McGarvels, thanks for the tips. Luckily everything is backed up so if he does have a bad harddrive he wont lose any data.

misam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
We went to the apple store this morning and it booted fine from their external harddrive. They are replacing the hard drive and it should be back by the end of the week. Thanks for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.