PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV & Harmony Remote Step by Step Guide

MobyIck
Mar 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ok I just spent 12 hours (there was some sleep in the middle there) getting my Harmony 676 remote to work properly with AppleTV. In the end the setup proved to be quite simple and it (finally) works perfectly. I figured I'd post my guide to save all you folks the tedious trial and error pathway I had to go through.

I figured it would be simple just to do a learn IR command for each of the settings but that never worked properly and the remote just wouldn't sense the commands. When it did, the IR response for the apple TV was sluggish or very sketchy.

The trick is to just add a new apple computer device and then have your activity reference it for the buttons. I also changed my delays to 100ms.

Ok here's the step by step to save everyone some time

1 In your harmony Remote Software Click "Add Device"
2 Click "Computer", next, next
3 Select "Apple", next
4 Now type in EXACTLY "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo", next
5 Check "do not have a remote" and hit next again
6 All info correct, next

Back to Main Screen
1 Click on the settings button for "Computer"
2 Click adjust delays
3 Change delays to 100 ms, done

The activity setup is done, if you want to be fancy, you can rename it "AppleTV" knock yourself out.

Now go to the Activities window
1 Click on add new activity
2 Manually add
3 Click "utility", next
4 generic activity, next,
5 Add or Remove all the devices you do or don't need. Make sure to leave your TV, computer/AppleTV, amplifier or any other devices you use while the AppleTV is displaying, then hit save
6 Video 6 for me (your settings will vary), next
7 don't need to set, next
8 amplifier input for me is video 4 (again your settings will vary), next
9 next next done

Please rename your activity from custom to AppleTV etc

Ok Now you have to assign the correct AppleTV buttons to the remote
1 Click on "customize buttons" for the AppleTV activity
2 Just go down and select the "AppleTV" for the device, and the appropriate commands. I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse...
3 Click done and you're as good as gold.

Oh, forgot one last thing, you have to unsynch your AppleTV remote and synch the harmony (by clicking the play/ok button) for the AppleTV to recognize the harmony.

Hope that speed's things up for a few people. I set my little music button on the remote to my AppleTV activity.

Enjoy,
Moby Ick

gohornsgo
Mar 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
This worked perfectly. I tried to do it myself last night but gave up in hopes that someone would generously share their blood, sweat, and tears. Greatly appreciated!

balamw
Mar 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
Doesn't sound like that would allow you to pair the remote to the :apple:TV, would it?

My problem is that I have the iMac in the same room, but now I am more motivated to pick up a Harmony or other smart remote.

For now I've paired the iMac remote to the iMac and left the :apple:TV remote unpaired....

B

MobyIck
Mar 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
It really works perfectly now. I think changing the delay times make a big difference. It works just like a big, less-missplacable apple remote.

Pairing does indeed work. you just have to have just unpaired it with the apple remote, and the pair remote button has to be highlighted. Hitting the ok on the harmony then takes care of it for you. i promise.

Weaselboy
Mar 24, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the guide. I tried setting my 880 up by learning commands and it sorta halfway worked. I think the speed setting you mentioned is the big fix.

pizenson
Mar 24, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks, I spent about 4 hrs today fighting with this. I couldn't get the scrolling to work right. Now it works perfectly.

nojstevens
Mar 25, 2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks. Spent ages on this yesterday but didn't get it right. Was hoping someone would take the time to do this - amazed to see it so soon!

logandzwon
Mar 25, 2007, 12:52 PM
Thank you much !!

stukes21
Mar 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
Just curious what Harmony you are using.

MobyIck
Mar 25, 2007, 05:29 PM
My Harmony remote is a 676. I like the placement of the play/fast forward buttons. I'll probably have to upgrade to the RF remote in the near future though. Does the IR repeater work with the AppleTV as well?

gordonjones
Mar 25, 2007, 06:42 PM
i set mine up a couple days ago, so this advice wasn't around then. i have a 550 and set the appletv up as a medea center pc. i then had the harmony learn the various commands from the apple remote and that was it. i didn't have to pair the harmony with the appletv, though i will need turn off the ir port on my mackbook pro as i often us it while "working" in front of the tv and the harmony commands end up effecting both. i don't really need the ir port on the mackbook, so no loss.

anyway, took about 1/2 hour start to finish, no issues to speak of. guess i got lucky.

dch57
Mar 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for posting. I have tried to program my Harmony 880 and had issues. I am clear on all steps except for your learning the remote.

"I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse..."

Not sure what you did here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MobyIck
Mar 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for posting. I have tried to program my Harmony 880 and had issues. I am clear on all steps except for your learning the remote.

"I also set Menu, A, B and the guide buttons to the AppleTV Guide so I could hit any of them to go backwards. Set your Volume up, mute and volume down to be controlled by your amplifier/TV. I set my left and right direction buttons to skip forward and back as I wasn't sure if the rewind and fast foward buttons send a longer IR pulse..."

Not sure what you did here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Basically you just have to assign the AppleTV functions to the buttons you want to use. You pull down the little menu item until it says Apple/TV (or computer if you didn't change the name). YOu then will have about 6 choices, play, menu, direction left, right etc to assign to the button.

Check out the pic below.

Hope that helps
Moby Ick

dch57
Mar 26, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I will try it and let you know if I was successful.:)

dch57
Mar 26, 2007, 03:45 PM
I tried this but still did not work. Some of the functions worked ie: up and down keys but menu or play did not. Any suggestions. thanks for you help on this.

MobyIck
Mar 26, 2007, 04:14 PM
I tried this but still did not work. Some of the functions worked ie: up and down keys but menu or play did not. Any suggestions. thanks for you help on this.

Make sure when you put in the name of the mac mini you put it in exactly as I specified. If you just typed "Mac Mini" withouttt aall the GHz stuff it will assign the wrong discrete codes. Also make sure you pair the remote.

dch57
Mar 26, 2007, 04:17 PM
I copied the name right out of your post so that was correct. I am new to this and not sure what you mean by pairing. Is that done through the ATV? If yes can you explain what it does. Thanks

patrick0brien
Mar 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
FYI- For :apple:TV to be powered down, have the "Off" signal set to "Play" for at least 3500ms.

ctakim
Mar 26, 2007, 09:01 PM
FYI- For :apple:TV to be powered down, have the "Off" signal set to "Play" for at least 3500ms.

How do I extend the time a signal is sent?

TIA

patrick0brien
Mar 27, 2007, 01:14 AM
How do I extend the time a signal is sent?

TIA

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust Power Settings"
"I want to turn off the device when not in use"
"A button on the remote for on, a different button for Off"
"I don't have the original remote, but I know the commands that are used" (set it to Play)
Then set the Duration in milliseconds

Other speed settings:

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust the delays (Speed Settings)"
Have fun...

jameynielsen
Mar 27, 2007, 09:18 PM
This is just what I was looking for .... you guys are awesome. Like many others, I spent hours trying to figure out how to make this work.

One question, though: how do I "set the Duration in milliseconds" for the off command? There is no option that I see on the page where I tell it which button to use for "off".

Thanks again for all the help.

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust Power Settings"
"I want to turn off the device when not in use"
"A button on the remote for on, a different button for Off"
"I don't have the original remote, but I know the commands that are used" (set it to Play)
Then set the Duration in milliseconds

Other speed settings:

Login
Devices
"Apple Media Center PC"
"Adjust the delays (Speed Settings)"
Have fun...

ukrunr
Mar 27, 2007, 09:35 PM
Agreed, help on this thread has been great. This was the quickest set-up that got me 99% there. Unfortunately, the "off" doesn't work, as mentioned above there is no opportunity to insert a delay for power-off.

Exiting from adjust power settings and entering adjust delays lets you set the power-on delay, but that's not what we want.

Has anyone really got the power-off to work properly on a harmony remote - if so, please provide the steps.

Thanks!

ctakim
Mar 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Agreed, help on this thread has been great. This was the quickest set-up that got me 99% there. Unfortunately, the "off" doesn't work, as mentioned above there is no opportunity to insert a delay for power-off.

Exiting from adjust power settings and entering adjust delays lets you set the power-on delay, but that's not what we want.

Has anyone really got the power-off to work properly on a harmony remote - if so, please provide the steps.

Thanks!

Agreed, I did all the above but could only get to the Power On Delay, Inter Key delay and Power off delay options. Could not get a prolong the signal delay or some such. Does this really work?

Alternatively, I could just hit the play button for 3.5 secs then power down the system. But the Harmony has me conditioned to one touch selections!

Thanks for the effort, anyway!

patrick0brien
Mar 28, 2007, 12:22 AM
Sorry guys. It was late, I was tired.

The millisecond setting only shows up on the "Off" command screen, just after the "On". Sorry, missed the fact you have to go past the "Command will power On your device" screen. It's subtle, need to read the screen header.

This is all true if you've set your :apple:TV up as an "Apple Media Center PC", as if it were a full Mac.

MobyIck
Mar 28, 2007, 09:07 AM
Sorry guys. It was late, I was tired.

The millisecond setting only shows up on the "Off" command screen, just after the "On". Sorry, missed the fact you have to go past the "Command will power On your device" screen. It's subtle, need to read the screen header.

This is all true if you've set your :apple:TV up as an "Apple Media Center PC", as if it were a full Mac.

I question if we really need to use the off command though. When the AppleTV is in sleep mode it is still on (the optical audio out is still bright red). Why not just leave it on all the time?

Moby Ick

patrick0brien
Mar 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
-MobyIck

I've only found one reason: heat.

When asleep, I've noticed this thing only generates a temperature of 40,000 kelvin, vs. 3m when on - ok, I exaggerate. But you get my point.

imdgp
Mar 29, 2007, 05:44 AM
Hi folks,

I have successfully setup the harmony 880 except for the off function - I am not clear on how to increase the duration of the off signal to more than 6 seconds. You can additional commands to the off function, but they are all discrete signals, not one long signal as is require to turn off :apple: TV.

cheers

David

blizaine
Mar 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
imgdp,
I'm in the same boat as you. Everything works except for power-off. I also, don't have an option for the power-off delay. I only have options for:

Power On Delay:
Inter-key Delay:
Inter-Device Delay:

Anyone else have an idea of how we can get our Harmony Remotes to power off our AppleTV's automatically?

Thanks!

seanb724
Mar 29, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm in the same boat as the other 880 owners. I actually set mine up as a digital set top box, an Apple A1153, not a mac mini, and all the keys work fine.

But power off/standby does not, and I don't have the options to set the hold on the play to 3500ms. I did call Harmony to ask if they could manually set that for me, outside the gui, as they have done something like that for me in the past with a discrete ir code, but they said they would not do it now for the @tv, as they don't yet officially support it. They said in the next few weeks they will support it, and at that time, if power off/standby does not work, to call back..

My harmony desktop s/w is 7.2.1, which is the latest code.

/Sean

blizaine
Mar 29, 2007, 07:31 PM
hey,
Check this out:
http://www.livingwithmac.com/apple-tv-and-harmony-remote

This guy says if you add the device as an iPod, then the remote will know how to power off the appletv.

I'm getting ready to try it now.

blizaine
Mar 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
I am happy to confirm that the above video is correct, if you use an iPod as your device, your harmony will turn off your appletv.

However, he doesn't cover (in the video) the fact that you really need to go into the AppleTV activity and map all the buttons correctly (as shown earlier in this thread).

cool :)

claumac
Mar 30, 2007, 06:22 AM
I have an 880 and can't get the direction arrows to work while in the menu. Any suggetions? I ahve the device set up as directed abaove as a mac mini.

filchy
Mar 30, 2007, 04:03 PM
I haven't seen this documented, although I may have just overlooked it. Hold down the Menu and REW buttons for a few seconds, and the Apple TV allows you to pair an ADDITIONAL remote with it. So I have my Harmony remote AND apple remote both working at the same time. Interestingly, I learned the Reset command (Menu and - for a few seconds) while only the Apple remote was paired, and the command only works with the Harmony remote while both remotes are paired.

But Reset does work. That way you can access the Diagnostics and Reset menu with the Harmony remote also. w00t!

EDIT: I was playing around with different button combos and initially posted the wrong combo.

Weaselboy
Mar 31, 2007, 11:30 AM
I have an 880 and can't get the direction arrows to work while in the menu. Any suggetions? I ahve the device set up as directed abaove as a mac mini.

Just go into "customize buttons" and map the up/down/left/right arrows to up/down/ffwd/rewind. Works perfect.

macrobat
Apr 3, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ok I got it to work just about to perfection the only thing is the ok button on the harmony remote to work I change used the customize buttons option but it doesnt recognize the command please some advice

macrobat
Apr 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
does the ok button work on the harmony remote for apple tv for everyone else I cant seem to make it work even if I customize the remote buttons

ctakim
Apr 5, 2007, 08:20 PM
does the ok button work on the harmony remote for apple tv for everyone else I cant seem to make it work even if I customize the remote buttons

What are you mapping this to? I set up the OK button to play/pause and it works fine.

macrobat
Apr 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
What are you mapping this to? I set up the OK button to play/pause and it works fine.

Same as you I am not sure why. The button works on tivo and other devices just not apple tv

blackbones
Apr 12, 2007, 09:40 PM
thanks so much for the guide. Managed to set up everything perfectly except for the power down on the appletv.

im using a harmony 550. I followed the supplemental directions for setting up the power off but unfortunately the harmony walkthrough doesnt continue on to an "off" button set up after the on button set up.

Any ideas?

vinny2cubes
Apr 18, 2007, 12:23 PM
Crap. I've got a Harmony 1000 and I've tried both methods for setting up my AppleTV and I can't get the buttons to map out right. I've even learned the raw codes. Seems like the only button that I've got to work is the right direction arrow on the direction wheel.

Do the raw codes override the activity button codes?

If you set up the buttons using raw codes in the device list, then go to the activity, are these the codes you're adjusting when it asks you to change the behavior of buttons?

In order to pair the remote w/ Apple TV, is the Harmony transmitting both buttons ( menu and rewind ) at the same time?

Can anyone give me help with this?

Thanks in advance

vinny2cubes
Apr 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
A minor miracle just occurred. Maybe Logitech has updated their database to include the AppleTV. I was about to give up on getting my 1000 to work with the Apple TV but decided to try one last experiment. I set up a device as a computer media center PC, told it was brand Apple, and the model was "AppleTV." Not expecting it to work, I pulled up the button page and it had all the commands correct, the buttons all mapped correctly and worked the first time I tried it !!!! One mistake I corrected was to set the up down arrow keys to volume up and down. I didn't do this at first since I mistakenly thought that would screw up my receiver adjusting the volume. Now it goes up and down through the lists and the 180 degree arrow is the menu button.

Didn't have to screw around with pairing the remote either. It just worked right out of the box. BTW I have two of the little white Apple remotes, and they both worked with the Apple TV without pairing or un-pairing. not sure why?

Someone else want to verify this?

flemingljr
Apr 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
A minor miracle just occurred. Maybe Logitech has updated their database to include the AppleTV. I was about to give up on getting my 1000 to work with the Apple TV but decided to try one last experiment. I set up a device as a computer media center PC, told it was brand Apple, and the model was "AppleTV." Not expecting it to work, I pulled up the button page and it had all the commands correct, the buttons all mapped correctly and worked the first time I tried it !!!! One mistake I corrected was to set the up down arrow keys to volume up and down. I didn't do this at first since I mistakenly thought that would screw up my receiver adjusting the volume. Now it goes up and down through the lists and the 180 degree arrow is the menu button.

Didn't have to screw around with pairing the remote either. It just worked right out of the box. BTW I have two of the little white Apple remotes, and they both worked with the Apple TV without pairing or un-pairing. not sure why?

Someone else want to verify this?

ya, this works, even turns the Apple TV off!!! I had to update some buttons under the digital music activity, but that was pretty easy. I entered the model as "Apple TV", but "AppleTV" might work as well.

dr01dy
May 3, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hello,

I would just like to add it took me a total of 5 minutes to setup my harmony 550 with my appletv.

I setup a device a a media computer with the manufacture as apple then the model as appletv.

Once this was completed I just setup an activity that used my amp / tv and the appletv.

I knew going in that it was going to be a 1 2 3 thing instead of a pain simply love this remote and my new appletv.

1st post !

dr01dy

illegalprelude
Jun 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Crap. I've got a Harmony 1000 and I've tried both methods for setting up my AppleTV and I can't get the buttons to map out right. I've even learned the raw codes. Seems like the only button that I've got to work is the right direction arrow on the direction wheel.

Do the raw codes override the activity button codes?

If you set up the buttons using raw codes in the device list, then go to the activity, are these the codes you're adjusting when it asks you to change the behavior of buttons?

In order to pair the remote w/ Apple TV, is the Harmony transmitting both buttons ( menu and rewind ) at the same time?

Can anyone give me help with this?

Thanks in advance

Im on the same boat with you bro. I got the Harmony 1000 also. Im wondering, how do you even Sync the Harmony with the AppleTV. Thats what im confused about

defsquad
Jul 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
I haven't seen this documented, although I may have just overlooked it. Hold down the Menu and REW buttons for a few seconds, and the Apple TV allows you to pair an ADDITIONAL remote with it. So I have my Harmony remote AND apple remote both working at the same time. Interestingly, I learned the Reset command (Menu and - for a few seconds) while only the Apple remote was paired, and the command only works with the Harmony remote while both remotes are paired.

But Reset does work. That way you can access the Diagnostics and Reset menu with the Harmony remote also. w00t!

EDIT: I was playing around with different button combos and initially posted the wrong combo.

Filchy, which Harmony remote do you have, and can you be specific about which remote you did Menu + Rewind on? I'm having a time pairing my Harmony 550 to the AppleTV. If both are paired, fine, but I mostly want the Harmony 550 to pair. Thanks for the detailed help.

Yeah I simply cannot get my Harmony 550 to pair. I tried going through the Pair/Unpair menu on the AppleTV using the included AppleTV remote, then pressing the "Ok" button on the Harmony 550 as described by the OP. Bottom line, help! Could someone please post step by step what to do to Pair the Harmony (550 in my case, or any Harmony remote) to the AppleTV.

Thanks again!

mspeck
Aug 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
Great walkthru, MobyIck! But to unsync my ATV remote, is it just a matter of removing the battery or ? There doesn't seem to be a setting for this.

Thanks so much!

filchy
Jan 1, 2008, 10:34 PM
Filchy, which Harmony remote do you have, and can you be specific about which remote you did Menu + Rewind on? I'm having a time pairing my Harmony 550 to the AppleTV. If both are paired, fine, but I mostly want the Harmony 550 to pair. Thanks for the detailed help.

Yeah I simply cannot get my Harmony 550 to pair. I tried going through the Pair/Unpair menu on the AppleTV using the included AppleTV remote, then pressing the "Ok" button on the Harmony 550 as described by the OP. Bottom line, help! Could someone please post step by step what to do to Pair the Harmony (550 in my case, or any Harmony remote) to the AppleTV.

Thanks again!

Sorry I didn't see this post until now. I'm sure you have your problem fixed by now. I have the Harmony 659. It sounds like you are doing the same thing I did to pair my Harmony, so I'm not sure why yours won't pair correctly unless it's a model-specific issue.

patrick0brien
Jan 2, 2008, 05:56 PM
-filchy, defsquad

Have you tried a ground-up configuration of a Media Center PC, Manufaturer: Apple?

I originally had a Mac Mini in there, and this worked for that, and what do you know, it works for the AppleTV too...

naftalim
Mar 2, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure if people are aware that the Harmony Software has an Apple TV Device setup. Its under Computer > Media PC. I use my Harmony One to control my Apple TV just like any other device I have.

GatorDeb
Apr 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D

I lost my Apple TV remote (it was just a matter of time) so I googled Harmony 880 AppleTV and this came up! Already have it working, it is AWESOME. THANK YOU again!!

Also, you made me realize that I could have two devices going at the same time. Up to now I haven't used an activity to watch TV, I would go to devices and use PVR to control the PVR and switch to the TV when I needed to change the volume, then back to the PVR. Thanks to you I have a Watch TV activity and can have both PVR and TV buttons going on at the same time!!! YOU ARE AWESOME !!! :D :D

P.S. after I set up the device and activity, I just started clicking remote buttons and it worked. No pairing necessary (I have the 880).

ascender
Apr 9, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I've had trouble with the ATV freezing, so I'll try changing the device on my Harmony to the right one and hope that automatically turns it off.

GatorDeb
Apr 15, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm having a problem. How do you reset without the ATV remote? I press Down and Menu and nothing :(

Thanks!

(P.S. it's Menu and Minus on the ATV remote).

newapplefan
Apr 15, 2008, 01:22 PM
This was a huge help, Thank you!

ascender
Apr 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Result! Changing the device type from Mac Mini to Apple TV automatically powers it off when you're done. Hopefully that will be the end of the box hanging.

Thanks again :)

macfaninpdx
Apr 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
Just a note on this (excellent) setup guide... Logitech has apparently updated their database, and it is no longer required to enter "Mac Mini ..." as the device. Follow the guide in the first post, but you can select "Computer", then select "Apple", and enter Apple TV (the software even prompts you for Apple TV as a suggestion). You do not need to adjust the delays, as they are now by default set up correctly.

Everything else seems the same as above. I also did not need to unpair the original remote and re-pair the Harmony, but you may need to if your original remote was paired.

Does anyone know if the wiki can get updated with the above information?

GatorDeb
Apr 17, 2008, 11:11 AM
Can anyone help me on how to reset with the Harmony Remote? I went through it again and used the Apple TV presets. Thanks!

macfaninpdx
Apr 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by reset. What I did was add a new Apple TV device as mentioned above, then removed the previously created Apple TV device. Then I had to go back into my Activities and either modify them or recreate them.

GatorDeb
Apr 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
If you hit "minus" and "menu" on the Apple remote control, the Apple TV resets. I haven't been able to accomplish this using the Harmony (and I lost the the ATV remote).

Thanks!

ceraz
Apr 21, 2008, 11:03 AM
If you hit "minus" and "menu" on the Apple remote control, the Apple TV resets. I haven't been able to accomplish this using the Harmony (and I lost the the ATV remote).

Thanks!

The AppleTV will reset if you press MENU and "-" for 5 seconds, if not try to reset your Harmony to the default settings for AppleTV media cente because it works for me.

Well it would be great if the harmony profile of the appleTV included this reset command and the sleep as two accessible device options or whatever. The sleep command (Play for 5 seconds) has been integrated into the profile but works occasionally for me.

You cannot configure these commands yourself as you need to press the keys for 5-6 seconds and there is no way to specify a duration for custom sequences.

I've being trying to contact customer support to include a reset command but it is proving to be difficult to reach the right people as I am outside US. If someone else could try it would be useful for all of us.

GatorDeb
Apr 21, 2008, 01:59 PM
The AppleTV will reset if you press MENU and "-" for 5 seconds, if not try to reset your Harmony to the default settings for AppleTV media cente because it works for me.

Well it would be great if the harmony profile of the appleTV included this reset command and the sleep as two accessible device options or whatever. The sleep command (Play for 5 seconds) has been integrated into the profile but works occasionally for me.

You cannot configure these commands yourself as you need to press the keys for 5-6 seconds and there is no way to specify a duration for custom sequences.

I've being trying to contact customer support to include a reset command but it is proving to be difficult to reach the right people as I am outside US. If someone else could try it would be useful for all of us.
That's my point, though, it doesn't work for me. The "-" is the down button in the remote, right? So Menu-Down should reset, but it doesn't.

nfrankli
Apr 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
That's my point, though, it doesn't work for me. The "-" is the down button in the remote, right? So Menu-Down should reset, but it doesn't.
I've tried getting this to work w/ my programmable remote and haven't been able to get it to work. I think the Apple Remote actually sends a discrete (and different that Menu+Down) command that resets the AppleTV. Maybe someone could capture this IR command w/ a learning harmony remote? It might be tricky because you don't want the initial Menu or Down command.

GatorDeb
Apr 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
I swear to ....

So I call Logitech. When the rep answers I hear noises and breathing, finally says Hello.

Me: Hello, I'm calling because the Logitech setup for the Apple TV Remote doesn't reset it. To reset the Apple TV you click the minus and menu button on the factory remote, but when you do that with the Harmony it doesn't work, and I was wondering if Logitech can update it to have a reset button.
Rep: Wait.
:three minutes go by:
Me: Hello?
Rep: What's your Logitech login ID?
Me: Why do you need that?
Rep: To access your account.
Me: This is not account related.
Rep: Ok. So you go to devices, and add device, then Media Center PC....
Me: I already did all that. Every button works perfectly, except reset.
Rep: Is reset a button on the remote?
Me: Nope. Combination.
Rep: Combination... combination... combination.... hold please.
:hold music this time, three minutes pass:
Rep: Ok, you going to djhfdjfhje.
Me: Going to what?
Rep: fhjkshfjkfd.
Me: Going to what?
Rep: fjdkfjdkfj. First go to device, then Learn IR...
Me: I don't have the original remote.
Rep: You don't have the original remote?
Me: No. I was just wondering if Logitech can update their profile.
Rep: No.
Me: No?
Rep: No.
Me: So they can publish a whole profile but they can't add one function to it?
Rep: What you see is all you get.
Me: So I can't put in a request?
Rep: A request? Ok. What you need to do is call this number.
Me: What's the number to?
Rep: Ready?
Me: What's the number to?
Rep: This same department.
Me: Ok.....
Me: This is option 1. You need the option 2 people. Option 1 people cannot do requests.

So off I go to call option 2.

Option 2:
Me: Explain the whole thing (and gasp, she gets it on the first try).
Rep: Sorry, I'm not in tech support, let me get them.
Me: Is tech support option 1?
Rep: Yes they are.
Me: They sent me to you because they said option 1 people can't do requests, only option 2 people can.
Rep: I don't know why they sent you to Warranties.
Me: Well can you connect me and stay on the line and let them know they are the ones that can help me?
Rep: Sorry I don't have conference capabilities. Call again. What you want to do is to be able to accomplish with the Harmony a button combination that would reset the Apple TV, right?
Me: Yes.
Rep: Maybe the tech rep did not have a grasp of the situation. I apologize for the inconvenience, please call them again.

On to option 1...

Got a very nice and knowledgeable guy who walked me through doing a sequence (didn't work) and then offered to connect me to tier two. Tier two says there's a hardware limitation that doesn't allow for the Harmony to send two commands simultaneously for a 5-second period.

Sigh :( Time to find the Apple TV remote or buy one off eBay.

In short: Harmony remotes do not support dual-button presses. Reset will never work.

ceraz
Apr 22, 2008, 02:44 AM

Correction, following your post I re-tried resetting the AppleTV by pressing the MENU and down keys for 5 seconds on the harmony remote and it did not work. I must have done it with the AppleTv remote.

In short: Harmony remotes do not support dual-button presses. Reset will never work.

Great post GatorDeb, you spent valuable time discovering a clear answer !

ascender
Apr 22, 2008, 03:52 PM
Hmmm.... My Harmony will now turn on the ATV correctly and power it off, but I can't use it to control the device. I have to use the original Apple remote.

Any ideas? One day it was working, the next its stopped.

nfrankli
May 29, 2008, 12:48 PM

I finally got around to trying out my idea about "learning" the reboot command from the AppleTV remote and IT WORKS. The dual button press (of - and Menu) actually sends a discrete IR code after holding for 6 seconds. I captured/learned this command w/ my harmony remote. I just pointed the AppleTV remote away from the harmony remote at first and then pointed it back at the learning port after a second, in time to capture the AppleTV reboot signal. It took two tries but I got it.

I've tested it now and can do a one button reboot whenever needed from my harmony remote.

sneeks
Oct 10, 2008, 07:00 AM
Setup my Harmony 885 with my new Apple TV last night and it's far better to use than the remote supplied from Apple.

rotarypower101
Oct 11, 2008, 10:55 AM

I finally got around to trying out my idea about "learning" the reboot command from the AppleTV remote and IT WORKS. The dual button press (of - and Menu) actually sends a discrete IR code after holding for 6 seconds. I captured/learned this command w/ my harmony remote. I just pointed the AppleTV remote away from the harmony remote at first and then pointed it back at the learning port after a second, in time to capture the AppleTV reboot signal. It took two tries but I got it.

I've tested it now and can do a one button reboot whenever needed from my harmony remote.

Looks like there is now a menu option for this under 2.2, so crises averted ;)

Now if the green apple would kick in and make this function relevant....

hitekalex
Nov 26, 2008, 01:31 AM
Anyone with Harmony 880 and ATV v2.3 still has Power-Off function working correctly? I just spent 2 hours messing around with this, but still can't get it to work.

I selected Apple TV as a device in Harmony database.. tried it with default "power off" settings and tweaked everything I could think off - Apple TV refuses to go to standby.

Can someone confirm they have it working under v2.3?

kiranmk2
Nov 26, 2008, 03:50 AM
Anyone with Harmony 880 and ATV v2.3 still has Power-Off function working correctly? I just spent 2 hours messing around with this, but still can't get it to work.

I selected Apple TV as a device in Harmony database.. tried it with default "power off" settings and tweaked everything I could think off - Apple TV refuses to go to standby.

Can someone confirm they have it working under v2.3?

On 2.2 you needed to be on the main menu before you powered off (or the unit would appear to power off and then spring back into life). In 2.3 this is still true, but I think Apple might have extended it to any menu so now if you power off from the Harmony during playback it will simply bring up the chapter/audio/subtitle menu and if you power off on a menu it will power down correctly.

I simply hold the menu button down until the main menu appears and then press power.

hitekalex
Nov 26, 2008, 08:55 PM
On 2.2 you needed to be on the main menu before you powered off (or the unit would appear to power off and then spring back into life). In 2.3 this is still true, but I think Apple might have extended it to any menu so now if you power off from the Harmony during playback it will simply bring up the chapter/audio/subtitle menu and if you power off on a menu it will power down correctly.

I simply hold the menu button down until the main menu appears and then press power.

It doesn't seem to make any difference what menu I am on.. Whenever I power off with Harmony - the ATV appears to power off & then comes back to live about 1-2 seconds later. The power-off still works correctly with Apple remote when I press/hold the Play button. Just can't do it with Harmony 880.

I guess I will have to power off by clicking Standby menu function, unless anyone else has a solution.

ascender
Nov 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
Even when I power off with the Standby menu function, the ATV seems to turn itself on again pretty quickly. What could be causing this? I've checked and nothing is being synched to the ATV, but its clearly doing something.

Scary
Dec 26, 2008, 12:11 AM
After having this problem where it turns back on (on 2.2, no less) after getting a Harmony 880 and messing with it for a while, I came up with this solution that seems to work great:

Note: I used the Apple TV settings from Logitech's database. If you're using a Mac Mini configuration or something else, this may not work for you.

1. Go into the Device Options for the Apple TV/
2. Choose Adjust power settings.
3. Choose I want to turn off this device when it's not in use.
4. Choose A button on the remote for On, and a different button for Off. (I know this isn't the case, but it's needed here)
5. The default for the Power On command will say "I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used" and it will be set to "Play" and the Duration will be 6500ms. It won't let you continue with 6500ms, as that's beyond the maximum in the software. It doesn't need to be this long anyway. I changed it to 2500ms. It works fine.
6. For the Power Off command, also choose I don't have the original remote, and change the command to Select rather than the default of Play. Set the duration to 5000ms. The Menu command will probably also be there by default, but I removed it. You can choose to leave it there. It probably won't hurt anything.
7. On the next screen, choose anything as the Apple TV has no channels.
8. Reprogram your remote and see if it works now.

These steps worked for me. Hope they help others.

hitekalex
Dec 27, 2008, 02:09 PM
1. Go into the Device Options for the Apple TV/
2. Choose Adjust power settings.
3. Choose I want to turn off this device when it's not in use.
4. Choose A button on the remote for On, and a different button for Off. (I know this isn't the case, but it's needed here)
5. The default for the Power On command will say "I don't have the original remote, but I know the command that is used" and it will be set to "Play" and the Duration will be 6500ms. It won't let you continue with 6500ms, as that's beyond the maximum in the software. It doesn't need to be this long anyway. I changed it to 2500ms. It works fine.
6. For the Power Off command, also choose I don't have the original remote, and change the command to Select rather than the default of Play. Set the duration to 5000ms. The Menu command will probably also be there by default, but I removed it. You can choose to leave it there. It probably won't hurt anything.
7. On the next screen, choose anything as the Apple TV has no channels.
8. Reprogram your remote and see if it works now.

These steps worked for me. Hope they help others.

Actually, keeping the Menu command in Step-4 is necessary to be able to properly sleep aTV from within a sub-menu level. Without it, aTV won't go to sleep unless you're in a root menu.

But changing 'Play' to 'Select' appears to be the key to this working - nice catch. Someone should email Logitech and ask them to fix the database default for Apple TV.

Scary
Dec 27, 2008, 04:42 PM
Actually, keeping the Menu command in Step-4 is necessary to be able to properly sleep aTV from within a sub-menu level. Without it, aTV won't go to sleep unless you're in a root menu.

But changing 'Play' to 'Select' appears to be the key to this working - nice catch. Someone should email Logitech and ask them to fix the database default for Apple TV.

I figured the Menu command was there for that reason, but personally, I always go back to the root menu before turning it off.

As for contacting Logitech, I read on their forums as recently as 2 weeks ago that someone got it working by using Menu, then Play. I imagine they changed this in their database as a result of that posting. So there appears to be some variation here for some reason.

amfbluffer
Dec 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
Anyone get this to work with the 550.. I dont seem to have the ability to set power off delay time. I am using 7.5.0 with firmware 2.6 I can set the button for power off to menu but cannot set duration..

Any help?

Scary
Dec 30, 2008, 06:27 PM
Anyone get this to work with the 550.. I dont seem to have the ability to set power off delay time. I am using 7.5.0 with firmware 2.6 I can set the button for power off to menu but cannot set duration..

Any help?

Try this:

1. Remove the existing Apple TV out of the Devices tab.
2. Re-add it by choosing it from the Media Center PCs list (don't create it as a Mac Mini as the original instructions said).
3. Once you have that, the defaults should have delay times and you can adjust as appropriate.

That's the only way I know of to get it.

amfbluffer
Dec 31, 2008, 05:11 PM
thanks that worked, now I can set the delay for the power off..

However, the apple tv still remains on when I change from Apple TV activity to another activity.

Scary
Dec 31, 2008, 06:43 PM
thanks that worked, now I can set the delay for the power off..

However, the apple tv still remains on when I change from Apple TV activity to another activity.

As I wrote in my other post, change the Play command in the power off sequence to Select instead. Then it will work.

itouch rulz
Jan 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hello

I was having the same problem as others in this thread even with the new apple tv profile, ie, the apple tv wouldn't stay off (standby) when I either (from apple tv activity) pushed the off button on the remote or changed from apple tv activity to another activity. My harmony remote 525 set-up software didn't allow me to include the delays for the menu button and the select button as standard for power off.

I sent harmony a query using the method included in their software and they changed my profile to include the delays. I played dumb and didn't mention that I had read this thread just asked them to fix the not-turning-off issue. As mentioned they responded very quickly (within 24 hours) but it still didn't work. So I went into the software to see what they had done and they had added different buttons for power on and off and for the off had included 2 button process, menu for 2500 ms and 'play' for 5000 ms. I changed the 'play' to 'select' as mentioned above and it works perfectly now.

So it appears that the harmony set-up software (at least for the 525) doesn't
provide for the delay settings as standard and you have to request a fix from their tech support before they activate it.

I sent them back a response regarding the 'play' v 'select' issue and thanked them for their prompt attention.

If you are having the same problem and want the little light on the apple tv off when you are doing something else - contact harmony - explain to them that your apple tv won't turn off, say that it is a 2 step process, menu for 2 seconds and select for 5 seconds and once they update, (and if it doesn't work) go into the power settings and the delays should be there and change the button.

Cheers

8CoreWhore
Apr 1, 2009, 12:21 AM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2671

For anyone confused about "power off" and "standby", the Apple TV does NOT power off at all. There is a way to reboot it where it is off temporarily, then it boots backs on. Also, "standby" isn't as low power as it is on a laptop for instance. Before, Apple didn't even have a standby mode as it's designed to sync and update podcasts etc, in the background. Then, they added standby but that mode only turns off the hard drive until its needed again. It still updates and syncs while in standby. Put the ATV in standby, then hit any button on the remote, see how fast it wakes up? That's because it's not really "off" or asleep, etc.

From: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4408276

mtbdudex
Dec 5, 2009, 07:33 AM
Bump;
I just used this to set-up my newly Apple TV (160) to my Harmony 890 in the family room.
Thx for posting this.

jbg232
Dec 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
This thread is completely outdated. I have the harmony remote and since all the updates when this thread came out in 2007 the software automatically recognizes apple tv and works fine on setup.

rayward
Dec 6, 2009, 03:09 PM
This thread is completely outdated. I have the harmony remote and since all the updates when this thread came out in 2007 the software automatically recognizes apple tv and works fine on setup.

Correct. Now, all that's necessary is to select a "Media Center PC", then the Apple brand and type in "Apple TV". No shenanigans required.

nunnzzzz
Jan 2, 2010, 05:16 PM
i am having trouble with my apple tv. Apple tv comes on correctly but the harmony still doesnt work. I have to hit devices, then media center, then unpair before the Harmony will work....anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

tomas21
Mar 23, 2010, 04:27 PM
Can anyone describe what each of these Harmony buttons does when using them in the context of AppleTV?

Harmony Remote Standard Buttons
PageDown
PageUp
DirectionUp
DirectionDown
DirectionLeft
DirectionRight
Select
Menu
Stop
SkipBackward
NextChapter
Play
Rewind
FastForward
Pause

Harmony Remote Additional Buttons
Pair
PrevChapter
Reset
UnPair
VideoMode

rayward
Mar 24, 2010, 04:02 PM
Can anyone describe what each of these Harmony buttons does when using them in the context of AppleTV?

Quick answer. The Menu, D-Pad and Select buttons mirror the buttons on the Apple Remote, and should do exactly the same thing on an Apple TV. I have found that, in addition, the "VCR" controls on my Harmony remote will also perform their usual function during playback: i.e. ff, rew, chapter skip, play, pause etc., but they don't do anything when navigating the on-screen menus.

loudlizard
Oct 9, 2010, 04:44 PM
Oh, forgot one last thing, you have to unsynch your AppleTV remote and synch the harmony (by clicking the play/ok button) for the AppleTV to recognize the harmony.

Hope that speed's things up for a few people. I set my little music button on the remote to my AppleTV activity.

Enjoy,
Moby Ick[/QUOTE]

New to this forum.

How do i unsync my AppleTV remote and synch the harmony? My apple remote is unpaired. I have the Harmony 520 and i do not have the option to pair the remote on the lcd screen. I followed the instructions to the letter but i do not understand how to pair my harmony remote with the apple TV.

Please help.

Thanks.

BoulderBum
Oct 10, 2010, 12:06 AM
New to this forum.

How do i unsync my AppleTV remote and synch the harmony? My apple remote is unpaired. I have the Harmony 520 and i do not have the option to pair the remote on the lcd screen. I followed the instructions to the letter but i do not understand how to pair my harmony remote with the apple TV.

Please help.

Thanks.

He's wrong. Ignore his post.

You don't need to unsync the original remote and you don't need to sync the Harmony. Mine works just fine without those steps.

alankanczes
Aug 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
I tried the setup and failed. Apparently i mistyped the device name. I didn't get a specific device. you will know you made an error if you don't get three entries for the timings to set to 100. If you get only two, you messed up. Retry.

mtbdudex
Dec 7, 2012, 08:56 AM
I moved my 5 year old Denon 4308CI from the basement HT into the family room where my AppleTV Gen1 with 160GB is there.
(basement HT got upgraded to just released Denon 4520CI)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kJD5q9fGxyQ/Rh1w2ziNlII/AAAAAAAAKZ4/gLopUJTzAR4/s400/IMG_3562.JPG
So I had to re-do my Harmony 890, prior was a 12 year old Onkyo 787.

For my Apple TV, I just followed the Harmony directions, screenshots here:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0fgTnXDqB1c/UMIC0LlJ3lI/AAAAAAAAPLQ/pXpnhxr8NRo/s809/Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV1.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Nw-0SJN3y1E/UMIC0B360pI/AAAAAAAAPLQ/wZd582XxLDg/s809/Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV2.jpg

Special Note:
For this step, I just typed "Apple TV" and it worked fine!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UqE10XgJfLY/UMIC0NVD44I/AAAAAAAAPLQ/_AZq276HODA/s809/Harmony%2520Add%2520AppleTV3.jpg

I added 1 step - upon exit to "stop", this way stuff does not keep playing on the Apple TV when you exit, since it is always on.