PDA

View Full Version : A Good (albeit lengthy) Read on the PSP

sikkinixx
Mar 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/775/775176p1.html

16 articles which are all interviews with different developers, some first some third party, about what they like about the PSP, what they would like to see Sony do, and some brief thoughts on the future of the handheld.

I haven't read them all yet, but most are pretty good and give a ray of hope that PSP will continue to put out good games in the future (yes, it does have good games :P) and on it's future integration with networking/PS3/add-ons/firmwares.

2nyRiggz
Mar 24, 2007, 04:13 PM
I read this earlier and it was interesting...glad to see 3rd party sticking by the PSP and still put out good games.

The PSP looks to have a good future ahead....it opened up the handheld market a little more.

Bless

Dagless
Mar 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
The article could just say "Drop the price" and it'd sell. Make it the same price as the DS Lite with a good sized memory card and I'll get one, or just do away with Memory Pro Stick Duo (or whatever) and use SD cards.
There's just some invisible line, consumers don't like paying more than a certain amount for an item. Handhelds the price seems to be 130+, consoles it's 300+

PSP & SoTN for 100 and I'd be a very happy bunny. I'd even buy Monster Hunter 2 and VCS if they were priced (in VCS case) alongside their PS2 counterparts.

thequicksilver
Mar 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
The article could just say "Drop the price" and it'd sell. Make it the same price as the DS Lite with a good sized memory card and I'll get one, or just do away with Memory Pro Stick Duo (or whatever) and use SD cards.
There's just some invisible line, consumers don't like paying more than a certain amount for an item. Handhelds the price seems to be 130+, consoles it's 300+

PSP & SoTN for 100 and I'd be a very happy bunny. I'd even buy Monster Hunter 2 and VCS if they were priced (in VCS case) alongside their PS2 counterparts.

The price thing is probably not credible in the short term, but would clearly be A Very Good Thing. Sony aren't going to let go of the MagicGate DRM for a start.

The biggest hurdle for the PSP I think is the early marketing which emphasised it as an all-round entertainment centre, something which is in theory brilliant until you note the pretty lousy battery life. If it could last 10 hours or more then it'd be an absolute smash hit, or if it could easily take a commonly sized disposable battery.

As it stands, I find that it's a device that a lot of people buy, really like, but for whatever reason don't use as much as they thought. Battery life is one reason of course - that it would crap out less than half way though a mid-Atlantic flight is preposterous, frankly - but another is that it really isn't that portable. It doesn't easily fit in a pocket without clearly making a lump, and it requires two hands at all times, making it difficult to use standing on a bus/train. Furthermore, the screen isn't usable in direct sunlight.

I'd say the PSP is a really good device for use around the house and those who frequently stay away from home with access to powerpoints, but it isn't good for commuters purely because of the screen issue, a key key problem for such a thing. Those, sadly, are the PSP's fatal flaws.

It has so much potential, it really is a powerhouse device that can do so so much - dare I say that it's one of the most impressive devices for its price out there? It's just a few major flaws which let it down so much.

For the record, I own one and find that whenever I use it I love it, but it isn't as often as it should be for a device of this price. Using it as a commuter in on the bus in the summer wasn't credible due to sunlight.

Dagless
Mar 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
That's interesting ;) I was at Stoke on Trent when I realised I no longer want my PSP.

I've got a feeling this will be like the Dreamcast for me. In that I didn't really care much when it was popular (aka expensive), but as soon as the price dropped and friends were selling them off for stupidly little amounts of money that beared no correlation to the number of games and accessories bundled I was in there like a shot. I love the system but there just didn't feel like a rush to own one.

2nyRiggz
Mar 25, 2007, 08:12 AM
^Theres no rush to own any system for that matter...you should always wait several months but the animal gamers in all of us "MUST HAVE NOW" then we feel let down when the games are not flowing like they suppose to...thats the gamers curse;)

Bless

TheGimp
Mar 25, 2007, 08:53 AM
Sony's biggest mistake was in not enabling online multiplayer for Wipeout:Pure - a AAA game otherwise - as well as certain other games such as Hotshots Golf. I ended up playing both of those MUCH in online multiplayer down the road using my xlink kai the airport card in my powerbook as a wireless point. This was a free service (used in conjunction with Amarylis and Kaid OSX Menu free software in OSX) that used the PSP's ad hoc functionality (intended by Sony for local multiplayer) to achieve remote multiplayer. Was awesome (especially in wipeout up to 4-5 players) BUT the only people to play against were the same handful of folks savy enough to figure out how to get the thing to work - or even know of xlink kai in the first place. IF the multiplayer had been provided directly by Sony, the PSP would have really taken off and never have slowed down. Yeah there was Socom, but by then it was really too late in the public eye, especially current/former PS2 owners.

1-2 years ago I wrote a good number of posts here at MR on the PSP (including xlink kai), homebrew, etc.

Dagless
Mar 25, 2007, 09:00 AM
I found no need for Xbox Live when I was using Xlink Kai. Fantastic app. A little peeved they still don't have DS tunneling.

2nyRiggz
Mar 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
Good S*** I like to hear

Dude, how did you do it...PM me or AIM.

Bless

sikkinixx
Mar 25, 2007, 01:52 PM
The price isn't too awful here in Canada, but a $179.99 cdn price tag (from $199-229 depending) would make it only $30 more than a DS Lite and make it more competitive. A better battery would be nice, although for day to day use it lasts okay, and you can always get another one to plug in when the one you are using dies (unlike the DS :() The MS isn't bad now, I saw a 4GB Duo for $69.99 and 2GB ones are always under $75. I have a 1GB one and it has enough room for 3 south park episodes, a movie, and some MP3's.

If they do a PSP Lite, i'm the first one at the store.

TheGimp
Mar 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
The MS isn't bad now, I saw a 4GB Duo for $69.99 and 2GB ones are always under $75. I have a 1GB one and it has enough room for 3 south park episodes, a movie, and some MP3's.

If they do a PSP Lite, i'm the first one at the store.

MS not bad now? Bro, the last time i checked the price of the 2GB sandisk (about a year ago), it had just been barely released - mostly available on special order - and was over $200. Now the 4gb is available for about a third of what the 2gb was selling for. About 1.5 years ago I paid $100 for a one GB stick and about $200 for a 4gb datel PSP HDD with double capacity battery. Now I'm glad I sold it in time to recoup more than half the cost before the sticks came down.

Although I sold my PSP about a year ago (my original ad is still in the MR archive), i wouldn't definitely be second in line behind you to pick up a PSP lite. A somewhat brighter and sharper screen with somewhat better pixel response and better battery life would be killer, even if the unit as a whole were not *much* smaller and/or lighter. Dual analog nubs would be nice, but the one non-game feature that would be a deal clincher for me would be the ability to play back H.264 video in the *full* resolution supported by the hardware - not the crippled 320x240 supported by Sony the last time I owned the PSP. They crippled playback of user imported video mainly for copyright reasons and to sell more UMD videos which looked and sounded far better than videos compressed using iPsp, PSPware,Video 9, etc. This wasn't due to memory stick limitations, as i eventually learned how to 'dump' truncated UMD videos to MS (and whole movies to the Datel 4gb HDD) and play them back using freeware homebrew apps, but those files took up to 1.8GB of space each and the player app was really too buggy and barebones to reliable for on-the-go viewing. Anyway, the movies I wanted to watch weren't released on UMD anyway...

Dagless
Mar 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
The MS isn't bad now, I saw a 4GB Duo for $69.99 and 2GB ones are always under $75. I have a 1GB one and it has enough room for 3 south park episodes, a movie, and some MP3's.

Come on now ;)

It's hard to get an actual price for a 4gb Memory Stick duo. They range from 20 to 140. Have to just use Aria, since they stock original goods (ie. not eBay)

2gb Memory Stick Duo- 45
2gb SD- 13

thequicksilver
Mar 26, 2007, 05:32 AM
2gb Memory Stick Duo- 45
2gb SD- 13

Could do, or you could compare like for like products. Compare a hi-speed SD card which really is needed for video etc to a high end gaming MS Duo.

I get 28.99 for the 2GB Sandisk Gaming MS Duo (http://play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/269/349/-/880408/SanDisk_Gaming_Memory_Stick_PRO_Duo_2GB/Product.html?searchtype=genre). SDs are cheaper for sure - I can't find a 2GB hi-speed SD one, but whether it's 13 or more (I'm guessing they level out at around 17.99) it's not the difference you portray it to be.

Dagless
Mar 26, 2007, 06:42 AM
I suppose it's Sony's fault for not having a low-speed Memory Stick then. I've found SD's to be perfect. I've played 640*480 H.264 videos off SD cards in the past, heck even MicroSD has never lagged. The comparison was just what one shop here offered, of course it would be different at a pro camera shop or wherever.
I doubt the PSP needs anything faster than that.

sikkinixx
Mar 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
Well right now at Futureshop (retailer around here) a 2GB sandisk MS Duo is $69.99 cdn on sale, while the 4GB is at it's regular $149.99, although the 4GB was on sale last week for $89.99. They kinda flip flop. A computer place around here, NCIX, has a 4GB for regular price at $112.70 cdn, while another computer place, a-power, has the 2GB for $79.99 regular price. They aren't dead on, but if you shop around you can get them for a reasonable price.