Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hey guys my brother has an ipod that isnt powering on no screen activity whatsoever. Tried to reset it with no joy any help would be appreciated!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Just to be sure, is the hold button in the 'hold' position?

...and to be positive, how did you reset it?

Have you tried connecting it to a computer?

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi the hold button is not on I double checked it a few times. I tried connecting the ipod itself to two separate computers and it was detected by neither one. As for resetting the ipod i used the default: hold on / off ... hold down select and menu for 10 seconds to no avail.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Although I'm very doubtful, was the the iPod connected to a computer when you reset it? If not, try that.

What model of iPod is it? How old is it?

sonofjabba

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
Pa
A lot of things can make ipods not turn on, but normally it's a battery issue. But I need to know what model for a clearer diagnosis. If you have a power adapter, try hooking it to that.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Okay to answer all of the above questions:
The model itself is the 5G Ipod Video 30gb Model.
As for powering it up I have used two separate power adapters to try and charge it up as well as trying to charge it up via the usb port to no avail whatsoever. I have also attempted a reset when connected to the pc again to no avail. I have attempted to connect the ipod to both a mac and a windows box again no joy. I'm at a loss here. Its just gone out of the 1yr warranty too I knew i should have got my bro an extension :'(

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
How long did you leave it connected to the computers?
Cause, if the battery is as flat as a pancake, it's likely that it could take a while for it to register, and be able to power-up.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
at one stage it was left charging for over 36 hours to no avail. No response whatsoever etc etc. Just a quick note too its little over a year old just out of the warranty :'(

iBenzin

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
First of all what kind of iPod? iPod Minis and older 4G's are widely known not to come back to life using the standard USB cord once they are severely depleted from battery life, but the firewire cable brings them back to life. Maybe you might wanna try that.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
at one stage it was left charging for over 36 hours to no avail. No response whatsoever etc etc. Just a quick note too its little over a year old just out of the warranty :'(
Is there an Apple Store nearby? They can at least tell you if there's any hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.