PDA

View Full Version : Does AppleTV stream media from Base Station hard drive?

markw10
Mar 24, 2007, 07:44 PM
Now that the Apple TV is being shipped has anyone tried to stream video from a Hard Drive connected via USB to the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have a laptop I can connect to but I have limited hard drive space and would love if I can store my media on the base station hard drive and stream from it.

askthedust
Mar 26, 2007, 11:00 AM
We have two laptops and no towers, so Airport Extreme with a hard drive 300GB or more makes a lot of sense to me. If anyone has tried this can you tell us if:

1. Would I need to move my iTunes library to the harddrive as the main library. Then Sync from that to :apple: TV.

2. Streaming. Is there a way to store content so that :apple: TV could receive content directly from the Airport Extreme hard drive? Or does the connected drive have to have OS X on it?

3. Anyone hacked the :apple: TV USB port on the back yet?

4. better idea without purchase of a tower?

patrick0brien
Mar 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
1. Would I need to move my iTunes library to the harddrive as the main library. Then Sync from that to :apple: TV.

-askthedust

Sure you can, but then you'll be doubling network traffic. I hope your network is gigabit - the :apple:TV only cares about the 100mbps into it.

2. Streaming. Is there a way to store content so that :apple: TV could receive content directly from the Airport Extreme hard drive? Or does the connected drive have to have OS X on it?

Not yet...