PDA

View Full Version : So I just purchased Battlefield 2 Mega pack or whatever

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Stupidly, with out researching if the game would work on a macbook. i've seen VIDEOS with people playing this game on a regular macbook. This package was 50 bucks.

So I get home and install it, it installs. I double click the game and it brings up the logo, goes away, and a black screen goes up for a split second and brings me back to my desktop. I know there is a way to get this game to work. I even got counterstrike source to run.

Please someone give me some advise so that I can atleast try to get this to work. it would suck if I wasted $50 on this. I really want to play this game.

applekid
Mar 24, 2007, 07:56 PM
Oof. That sucks. Try to find a .ini or some kind of config file of some sort and try to change some parameters. I am not 100% sure of this idea, but I assume that's how people have gotten it to work on a MacBook.

Your best chance is probably to look for PC gamers that have managed to run it on below system requirement systems. Maybe there's something out there on Google, assuming your claim about playing this on a MacBook are true.

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 08:01 PM
Oof. That sucks. Try to find a .ini or some kind of config file of some sort and try to change some parameters. I am not 100% sure of this idea, but I assume that's how people have gotten it to work on a MacBook.

Your best chance is probably to look for PC gamers that have managed to run it on below system requirement systems. Maybe there's something out there on Google, assuming your claim about playing this on a MacBook are true.are you calling me a liar? :( no just kidding.

ill look for that file though

applekid
Mar 24, 2007, 08:04 PM
are you calling me a liar? :( no just kidding.

ill look for that file though

LOL :D

I didn't have a better word than "claim." :cool:

applekid
Mar 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html

Try the GeForce 4 mod in that link, but it doesn't sound completely hopeful. It appears PunkBuster doesn't appreciate that mod. Good luck.

Do read the other pages. It explains the config files and such.

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html

Try the GeForce 4 mod in that link, but it doesn't sound completely hopeful. It appears PunkBuster doesn't appreciate that mod. Good luck.

Do read the other pages. It explains the config files and such.

Dosn't work I don't think.

This REALLY sucks.

Fatal1ty
Mar 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
i'm in the same boat as you g-c i've read in different forums about people running bf2 in a different (more standard) resolution, i havent tried it yet as i'm buried in homework :( but maybe you can figure it out (if you do pm me)

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 09:01 PM
i'm in the same boat as you g-c i've read in different forums about people running bf2 in a different (more standard) resolution, i havent tried it yet as i'm buried in homework :( but maybe you can figure it out (if you do pm me)

I don't know how to change the resolution without being in game... do you know how to? :apple:

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
now i got an error when i altered the command line. i dont know what it means

Debug assertion failed!

Version: 1.1.2965-797.0 Build date:2006-9-26 17:53
Module: RendDX9
File: D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\RendDX9\RendDX9Init.cpp
Line: 521

text: Failed to create d3d device. Unknown cause. Invalid call

Current confile

sb58
Mar 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
i bought just regular ol' Battlefield 2, for the PC, and the same thing happens to me... i just gave up on it though :D

Fatal1ty
Mar 24, 2007, 09:40 PM
ok you guys i've been researching this and i came across a post at onmac.net here's the link http://forum.onmac.net/archive/index.php/t-1532.html

for the lazy ones this is a posters response to a problem similar to ours:

"you need to edit the video.con file to set it to the res of your desktop change the file ext from Video.con to Video.txt then edit it and save it then change the file ext back to Video.con

I doubt its a DirectX error as that normally throws up a (dx blah blah error ) window but to make sure dl the latest dx9 if you want to bypass the WGA downloader look at http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/06/6859/

it lives in /Program Files/Electronic Arts/Battlefield2/mods/BF2/Settings/Profiles/Custom/Video.con

that path may not be exact as im doing it from memory but the file you need to edit is the Video.con file so you could just search for all your Video.con files and edit the resolution in there (def 800 600 32 0 ) mine is set to 1680 1050 32 0 as its on my 17" macbook.

you need to do the same if you want to play the BF 2142

~SIMPLE METHOD~

Right-click your Battlefield 2 desktop icon and click "Properties". Under the "Target field", add this: +szx 1280 +szy 800

This will force Battlefield 2's resolution into the resolution 13" MacBooks use.

Tell me if it works! (i cant test right now)
Good luck w/Battlefield 2!

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
ok you guys i've been researching this and i came across a post at onmac.net here's the link http://forum.onmac.net/archive/index.php/t-1532.html

for the lazy ones this is a posters response to a problem similar to ours:

"you need to edit the video.con file to set it to the res of your desktop change the file ext from Video.con to Video.txt then edit it and save it then change the file ext back to Video.con

I doubt its a DirectX error as that normally throws up a (dx blah blah error ) window but to make sure dl the latest dx9 if you want to bypass the WGA downloader look at http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/06/6859/

it lives in /Program Files/Electronic Arts/Battlefield2/mods/BF2/Settings/Profiles/Custom/Video.con

that path may not be exact as im doing it from memory but the file you need to edit is the Video.con file so you could just search for all your Video.con files and edit the resolution in there (def 800 600 32 0 ) mine is set to 1680 1050 32 0 as its on my 17" macbook.

you need to do the same if you want to play the BF 2142

~SIMPLE METHOD~

Right-click your Battlefield 2 desktop icon and click "Properties". Under the "Target field", add this: +szx 1280 +szy 800

This will force Battlefield 2's resolution into the resolution 13" MacBooks use.

Tell me if it works! (i cant test right now)
Good luck w/Battlefield 2!
Didn't seem to do the trick for me. Maybe it will for you..

firelord901
Mar 24, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'm going to try this. On my laptop it's got the same graphics card (Intel GMA 950) I'm running 1.86GHz Core Solo, 1gb ram 60gb hard drive. This is in Vista Home Premium so hopefully it goes smoothly. I'll let you guys know i'm installing BF2 right now (I got the deluxe edition too)

g-c
Mar 24, 2007, 10:49 PM
I'm going to try this. On my laptop it's got the same graphics card (Intel GMA 950) I'm running 1.86GHz Core Solo, 1gb ram 60gb hard drive. This is in Vista Home Premium so hopefully it goes smoothly. I'll let you guys know i'm installing BF2 right now (I got the deluxe edition too)

Please let me know how it works out. I HOPE it works for you. Maybe it will help with my problem

firelord901
Mar 24, 2007, 10:54 PM
Well I got some news for you...

It didn't work. :( Hopefully someday there will be a hack for it. I'm going to try to update my drivers and see if it works.

Fatal1ty
Mar 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
we dont have to wait.. there's already a workaround somewhere people are playing bf2 on macbooks as we speak we just have to figure out how:confused:

g-c
Mar 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
The funny thing is that Counter Strike Source isn't supposed to run on a Macbook because of the graphics card, but I altered the command line inside of Steam to make it run on DirectX 7.0 or DX 8.0 and it worked.

I can't figure out how to do that within BF2 though.

If any of you guys have any idea small or large, please share them :(