Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
What's the point? Would it only be useful for music/photos/podcasts? It truly sucks how we can't purchase video content from iTunes...until then, I won't even consider buying Apple TV. Do you think Apple will bring the good stuff up north anytime soon?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What's the point? Would it only be useful for music/photos/podcasts?

How about ripping your whole DVD library? I've been having mad fun since friday, being able to watch scenes of movies without having to swap discs all the time. :cool:

It truly sucks how we can't purchase video content from iTunes...

Indeed, I can't wait to have TV shows available on the iTS so I can drop cable... What's the point of paying if you have to be there to watch it? And before someone tells me "just record it", my setup is VHS + digital cable box. The two can't speak to each other, so I'd be limited to one channel recording. And I have to program the VCR. And make sure there's enough time left on the tape. And make sure I leave the cable box at the right channel.

PVRs? Yes they're available. But since the content providers don't allow 3rd party PVRs and theirs cost a small fortune, even on monthly rental, I'm not getting one.

It will be so much simpler to drop their monopolistic practices and switch to iTunes Store content. "I want to subscribe to BattleStar Galactica". Couldn't be simpler and I won't miss any episode either.

until then, I won't even consider buying Apple TV. Do you think Apple will bring the good stuff up north anytime soon?

I'm pretty sure the problem comes from the CRTC, not Apple. After all, iTunes 7.1 did add Canadian ratings in the parental settings. That means Apple are ready and something else is blocking the whole thing.

I'm sure you remember how long it took before we finally got the music store here, with Japan and others getting a store before us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.