PDA

View Full Version : I got a new job!


MacAztec
Jun 9, 2003, 07:33 PM
I got a job working for Matrix Imaging down here. Pretty cool! Somebody came into my Web Design class today and posted a piece of paper with job information. I went up there and ripped it down, and put it in my backpack. No competition! :D :D

I may also get a job at a dental office, we'll see how that goes.

Matrix pays 8.50 an hour (for me), and im only 14! Im going to work 5...maybe 6 hours a day. I would work more, but Summer School! It starts at 8, and ends at 12. Then I have football at night, at 6 or 7 o'clock.

scem0
Jun 9, 2003, 07:58 PM
wow. They hire young.

My mom brought me home a CompUSA application, and she said that I had a very good chance of getting hired. THe dude she got it from said that they need more employees and that they would hire basically anyone with computer skills.

I don't really want to get a job though. Extra money is great, but it isn't necessary. I would rather just have a lot of leisure time (which, to me, is necessary). Maybe I am wrong though, maybe I should apply.

I'll think it through I guess. :)

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

vniow
Jun 9, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by scem0
I don't really want to get a job though. Extra money is great, but it isn't necessary. I would rather just have a lot of leisure time (which, to me, is necessary). Maybe I am wrong though, maybe I should apply.

Go for it, you should start as early as possible, the older you get, the harder it is to find even a simple job.

mrjamin
Jun 9, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
I got a job working for Matrix Imaging down here. Pretty cool! Somebody came into my Web Design class today and posted a piece of paper with job information. I went up there and ripped it down, and put it in my backpack. No competition! :D :D

I may also get a job at a dental office, we'll see how that goes.

Matrix pays 8.50 an hour (for me), and im only 14! Im going to work 5...maybe 6 hours a day. I would work more, but Summer School! It starts at 8, and ends at 12. Then I have football at night, at 6 or 7 o'clock.

congrats man. what's with the tar? just a white square on my browser (phoenix/win32)

MacAztec
Jun 9, 2003, 08:08 PM
Get the job, its going to suck during the summer when there is nothing to do!

I am getting this job for the extra cash, and so I wont be busy. Every day will be full. That is, until, I go away to Carpenteria (beach next to Santa Barbara). That is going to be quite a time :cool:

job
Jun 9, 2003, 08:24 PM
Congrats on the summer job. I'm working as a life-guard/pr person at my local rec center. Pays 7.50 an hour. I've been working 36~40 hour weeks with Friday and Saturday off. Free food, beautiful women and lots of time with friends. Can't top that. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the new job! :D

I'm quite surprised to be seeing so many people landing jobs this year...in this economy especially. A buddy of mine is starting a cool new job this week also. I know there are a few MR people who got lucky as well (including myself). I just started my new job 2 weeks ago myself. :D

FriarTuck
Jun 9, 2003, 08:28 PM
Ah, the splendor of youth...deciding whether it's more desirable to have a job for the summer or not.

Enjoy yourself either way.


Mortgage/student loans/orthodontia etc. will make that decision for you down the road.

Suddenly, I feel very old.

evoluzione
Jun 9, 2003, 08:32 PM
damn, i think it's illegal to work under the age of 16 in england

congrats mate!


eye ... yeah, things are certainly looking up this year for mac peeps. i made the same amount in January/February this year as I did all last year :) (which admittedly wasn't a lot)

mcrain
Jun 9, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I know there are a few MR people who got lucky as well (including myself). I just started my new job 2 weeks ago myself. :D

I'm one of the other MR people who got a job recently, also about 2+ weeks ago. I'm moving next week, and start in July. I definately got lucky, the economy is really rough, and in my line of work, there were too many qualified people looking at too few jobs.

Luckily, I ended up getting this job in a place I want to go. Plus, the pay is 2-3 times better! :D

Good luck with the job.

wdlove
Jun 9, 2003, 08:49 PM
Congratulations on your new job, MacAztec. I know that you will do a great job!

Are you also interested in Dental Medicine?

MacAztec
Jun 9, 2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Congratulations on your new job, MacAztec. I know that you will do a great job!

Are you also interested in Dental Medicine?

Ah, I don't think so hehe.

Thanks guys.

As for the Avatar, I tried to make a motion one a while back, and something happened. I decided I didn't really care, so I didnt make another one. If someone would like to send me one or something I would be more then happy.

eyelikeart
Jun 9, 2003, 10:07 PM
that's awesome evo...keep it up man... ;)

mcrain..didn't wanna totally give it away...esp since I kinda hijacked your thread in the private sector... :eek:

Kwyjibo
Jun 9, 2003, 10:10 PM
cool, i've got a summer job @8.75
I'm a waiter for about 10 hrs per week and i work at the shop next to the pool other days for the same pay for about 30-40 hrs per week ...must save for 970 or beer....such a choice

shadowfax
Jun 9, 2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by scem0
wow. They hire young.

My mom brought me home a CompUSA application, and she said that I had a very good chance of getting hired. THe dude she got it from said that they need more employees and that they would hire basically anyone with computer skills.

I don't really want to get a job though. Extra money is great, but it isn't necessary. I would rather just have a lot of leisure time (which, to me, is necessary). Maybe I am wrong though, maybe I should apply.

I'll think it through I guess. :)

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png which compUSA is that? i applied to the one across from the arboretum a week ago. i should go bug the hell out of them till they hire me, 'cos i want to work there. that would be scary as hell to find you there though, hah.

MrMacMan
Jun 9, 2003, 10:40 PM
Err, gosh why is everyone getting all these jobs... what the hell...

I get a maybe job at a doctor, I keep calling, but the person is either gone or says call back ____, personally I think they are avoiding.

CrapUSA may have jobs too even though I hate them so much... gah, I have nothing better to do with my summer, might as well check.

Good luck.

pEZ
Jun 9, 2003, 11:18 PM
Hmm........sudden dilemma......

Get a job, or spend the summer learning Flash and Actionscript?

Mblazened
Jun 9, 2003, 11:38 PM
tsk tsk
what a world
i believe today's youth should enjoy their summers indulging in video games and comic books, as i did.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 9, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Mblazened
tsk tsk
what a world
i believe today's youth should enjoy their summers indulging in video games and comic books, as i did.

it's cool man... given aztek's sexual history, he's quite beyond video games and comic books.


blah

shadowfax
Jun 10, 2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
it's cool man... given aztek's sexual history, he's quite beyond video games and comic books.


blah surely you don't need to be a virgin to engage in such activities?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 10, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
surely you don't need to be a virgin to engage in such activities?

duuuuuude. mardi gras duuuuude

i think that's what it was anyhow

jefhatfield
Jun 10, 2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by evoluzione
damn, i think it's illegal to work under the age of 16 in england



when i was a kid, more than 25 years ago, i think the youngest age of legal work in the usa was 15 or so

and the minimum wage was $3.35 or maybe $2.75 an hour and that was not really bad money then...one could buy more with that than $7.00 dollars an hour could now

it would be good for the economy to raise the minimum wage to a higher level so many more people could have disposable income to buy more goods and help american and world business

i think the short term gains of artificially low minimum wage that business gets by paying less hurts everyone in the long run

shadowfax
Jun 10, 2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
it would be good for the economy to raise the minimum wage to a higher level so many more people could have disposable income to buy more goods and help american and world business

i think the short term gains of artificially low minimum wage that business gets by paying less hurts everyone in the long run i dunno about that, man. i think that the average american consumers, the one that make the differences, are probably getting paid more than minimum wage as it is.

jefhatfield
Jun 10, 2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i dunno about that, man. i think that the average american consumers, the one that make the differences, are probably getting paid more than minimum wage as it is.

many people who make much/tons more than min wage just hoard money and basically take it out of the us economy, and the economy suffers which makes them more scared and hoard more...it's a vicious cycle

what we generally want to avoid in america is a caste system of a few very rich *rulers in a psuedo monarchy and a massive class of poor people with no middle class

there was a reason for our founding fathers to set up our country the way they did back in 1776

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 10, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
which compUSA is that? i applied to the one across from the arboretum a week ago. i should go bug the hell out of them till they hire me, 'cos i want to work there. that would be scary as hell to find you there though, hah.

ugh, i hate compusa. i decided to test out the "mac" people there one day, and the guy ended up trying to sell me an Epson 740i saying it was the newest imac available...true and sad story...

MrMacMan
Jun 10, 2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by G3-Pwnz-G4
ugh, i hate compusa. i decided to test out the "mac" people there one day, and the guy ended up trying to sell me an Epson 740i saying it was the newest imac available...true and sad story...
OMG, MAAHAHAHAHAHAH
'Yeah this printer is the latest computer... :eek: :eek: '

eyelikeart
Jun 10, 2003, 07:33 AM
My first job was stocking shoes at a shoe store when I was 15. I was driving, and this afforded me a little extra to be able to hit Taco Bell with friends on the weekend. :)

Before that, I actually was DJing at house parties & such. I was making decent money, and playing about every other weekend for a year & a half. That was the most fun I'd had as a teenager. :D

scem0
Jun 10, 2003, 08:10 AM
Are you talking about the one in Gateway shopping center, Shadowfax? That's the closest on the the Arboretum that I know about....

Then of course, there's Fry's, where I would rather work. I should see if I can get an app there.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

shadowfax
Jun 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Are you talking about the one in Gateway shopping center, Shadowfax? That's the closest on the the Arboretum that I know about....

Then of course, there's Fry's, where I would rather work. I should see if I can get an app there.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png yeah, there are only like 2 CompUSAs in Austin I think. the other one is over there on I35 or something, way out of my reach. Gateway isn't too far from me. Fry's is closer, granted, but i wouldn't work there if i had the choice. they do sell macs, but they have a lot of shoddy runnings there, while our CompUSA doesn't seem as bad. i dunno though.

MacFan25
Jun 10, 2003, 02:18 PM
I didnt know CompUSA would hire that young. :confused:

shadowfax
Jun 10, 2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I didnt know CompUSA would hire that young. :confused: how young? i'm 18. scem0 is... not, heh.

coopdog
Jun 10, 2003, 05:24 PM
There are child labor laws. Compusa doesn't hire anyone under 16 thats what my store told me. Watch out for child labor laws most you can start at about 14-16 but you have many restrictions on hours and times. Between 16-18 you can work full time.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 10, 2003, 07:27 PM
actually full time jobs are available between the ages of 16-dead...

zed
Jun 10, 2003, 11:34 PM
YAH! i just landed a new job as well.... i start tomorrow.... congrats to everyone!

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by zed
YAH! i just landed a new job as well.... i start tomorrow.... congrats to everyone!

he he...another I didn't want to mention by name... ;)

u will have to let us know how your first day went... :D

wdlove
Jun 11, 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by zed
YAH! i just landed a new job as well.... i start tomorrow.... congrats to everyone!

Congratulations on your new job zed. I'm sure that you will do a great job! Please keep us informed!

zed
Jun 11, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Congratulations on your new job zed. I'm sure that you will do a great job! Please keep us informed!

First day was awkward as usual..... i think tomorrow will be better... and much busier, I did get to work on a few really kewl projects today... with more in the lineup for tomorrow..

all in all, i would mark it up as a success. I think this is going to work out. I hope everyone else is having good fortune with their new jobs as well :)

eyelikeart
Jun 11, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by zed
all in all, i would mark it up as a success. I think this is going to work out. I hope everyone else is having good fortune with their new jobs as well :)

That's great to hear man. ;)

I'm really happy to see things working out for u, u deserve it.

I'm on my 3rd week, and finally starting to feel more "at home," so to speak. :D

WannabeSQ
Jun 12, 2003, 01:28 AM
I deliver pizza, have been since Feb. I make minimum wage ($6.75 here in CA) but I make around $8-$10 per hour in Tips. Works out pretty well, and I get free and discounted pizza. I applied at a few of the local apple stores as a part time "Mac Specialist" Not sure what that is, as their job description was not very clear, i bet it is just computer sales. If that doesn't work out, i may try to get to be a shift manager at Pizza Hut.

zed
Jun 12, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
That's great to hear man. ;)

I'm really happy to see things working out for u, u deserve it.

I'm on my 3rd week, and finally starting to feel more "at home," so to speak. :D

That's awesome, i cant wait for that feeling here.... i still feel like im on an interview or something. Another couple of weeks and everything will be hunky doory :D

Just found out i get an hour lunch :) woohoo, will get to check in on MR for a while :cool:

scem0
Jun 12, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
yeah, there are only like 2 CompUSAs in Austin I think. the other one is over there on I35 or something, way out of my reach. Gateway isn't too far from me. Fry's is closer, granted, but i wouldn't work there if i had the choice. they do sell macs, but they have a lot of shoddy runnings there, while our CompUSA doesn't seem as bad. i dunno though.

That sounds right, about the 2 locations that is. Ummm, I don't know if I'm gunna apply. I bet it will end up as a matter of whether my mom will make me or not http://www.my-smileys.de/fad.gif, 'cause I kinda don't want to apply. Then again, I kinda do.

BTW I'm 16 :). They start hiring at 16.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

Angelus
Jun 12, 2003, 06:35 PM
I just got confirmation of my summer job this afternoon. I will be portering in the local hospital. Should be great as il get to see the way hospitals run,observe the hierarchy and maybe make few contacts with the SHO's.

shadowfax
Jun 12, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Angelus
I just got confirmation of my summer job this afternoon. I will be portering in the local hospital. Should be great as il get to see the way hospitals run,observe the hierarchy and maybe make few contacts with the SHO's. cool. i volunteered at the local hospital last summer for about 70 hours. it was a fun experience.

wdlove
Jun 12, 2003, 07:57 PM
Congratulations, Angelus on your new job. I think that a hospital is a great place ot work, but I'm prejudiced being a nurse. Hope that you will find it very educational and rewarding!

Angelus
Jun 13, 2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks.
Im really looking forward to it.The way i see it it is that i should try and get to to know the staff up there because its going to be important to know people when i start my hospital rounds in a year or two.
what kind of nursing do you do?Is it general,theatre etc?

mcrain
Jun 13, 2003, 12:56 PM
Today is my last day at my current job. Then I have 2 weeks to move and then I start my new job.

It's all going very fast!

scem0
Jun 13, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
cool. i volunteered at the local hospital last summer for about 70 hours. it was a fun experience.

which hospital? Cause my aunt works at Seton, and that would be wierd if you had met her. Her name is Karen Deckard.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

shadowfax
Jun 13, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by scem0
which hospital? Cause my aunt works at Seton, and that would be wierd if you had met her. Her name is Karen Deckard.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png i think i may vaguely remember that name. what is her position? it was Seton Northwest, though.

scem0
Jun 13, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i think i may vaguely remember that name. what is her position? it was Seton Northwest, though.

She is one of the head maternity nurses.

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/77430bbce83afc89881430e177cabb9b.png

shadowfax
Jun 13, 2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by scem0
She is one of the head maternity nurses. ah, ok. i never worked maternity, but i do remember her being there at like orientation or something, i think, when they were assigning people to work in maternity. we've never talked or anything.

wdlove
Jun 13, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Angelus
Thanks.
Im really looking forward to it.The way i see it it is that i should try and get to to know the staff up there because its going to be important to know people when i start my hospital rounds in a year or two.
what kind of nursing do you do?Is it general,theatre etc?

What medical career path are you planning? Nurses can be very beneficial during your career!

I've worked on Medical, Surgical, OB/GYN, Nursery, Transplant, and Air Evac!

MacFan25
Jun 13, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Are you planning on a medical career?

wdlove...look on her profile and you will see that she is a med student. ;)

Angelus
Jun 13, 2003, 07:53 PM
I finished 1st med this year, so i've four years left. I'm not exactly sure what i want to do but i'm gonna keep my options open. I can often see myself doing surgery because it's a craft,like art,and i take fierce pride in that sort of work,ie.not only would i get the job done but it would be a beautiful job at that.

Another plus in surgery is that patients come to you in need of immediate treatment and hopefully when your done you've fixed them so to speak. What i mean is that compared to say a GP's patients who have recurring colds etc ,surgical patients receive immediate relief if things go well.
With regard to nurses making your life easier,i totally believe it. I know alot of nurses and they tell me straight out that when i enter the hospital to treat nurses very well.
Oh and by the way macfan,the "she" you spoke of is actually a "he" :)

wdlove
Jun 13, 2003, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry about the sex mixup, I've done it a number of times myself. Glad to hear that you respect nurses. It was just in the 70's that physicians started to respect nurses. My father-in-law now respects nurses because he knows what they go through, because both my wife and I are nurses!

MacFan25
Jun 13, 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Angelus
Oh and by the way macfan,the "she" you spoke of is actually a "he" :)
Oops...sorry about that angelus! Wasn't quite sure when I wrote that. Good luck with you med school! :)