PDA

View Full Version : What was Microsoft thinking?

quagmire
Mar 24, 2007, 11:32 PM
A little rant here about the Rep system of live. First, I will say I don't really care about the rep system all that much. It can be abused, etc. But, one of the reasons is entirely stupid. " Avoid player. Reason: Quit Early". Why on earth have that as a reason to avoid a person? What if someone had to go do something and had to leave? What if the person lags out of the game? What if his 360 crashes? There is no way the people in the game knows that my 360 crashed or I lagged out of the game. It is especially common to lag out in Battlestations: Midway as it seems the servers are picky and demand a real good connection to host a room. Eh, maybe I am being a bit hypocritical by saying I don't care about the rep system, but then go on a rant about it. Sue me. :p

Mackilroy
Mar 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
<whining snip>
I'll explain: say someone is losing and they leave to avoid losing any points, and they're the host: what do you do then? ;)

MacRumorUser
Mar 25, 2007, 05:06 AM
Funny story of how it can be abused.

First time playing playing rainbows six multiplayer hostage multiplayer game.

I was in a room with 16 people, everyone was giving orders etc, anyway...

I ran into the church and saw this person at the end who wasnt one of my team so I open fire...

ooops I ahot the hostage - our team lost - end of game

Back in the lobby everyone was screaming WTF WTF WTF

As a coincidence just before we got to the menu someone dropped out.

All there really irrate guys assumed that the guy dropping out killed the hostage. I kept quiet because it was a really scary atmosphere. Anyway these other 14 players decided that they would file complaints against your one who left...

So me 'guilty' by keeping quiet kept my rep in tact and the poor guy who dropped out got his left in tatters...

It's dog eat dog out there :o :p :D :(

2nyRiggz
Mar 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
Man I don't check for the rep system....its the last thing on my mind...I just want to kill punks online.

I never let that bother me....before my NAT settings was open I was kicked from a lot of games.

Bless

Haoshiro
Mar 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
Quit Early is definitely a good one to have, imo.

I've played too many games were the host quit because he was losing, ending the game for everyone.

Just like any user-based rating system there is room for user-error. The idea, though, is that just like Wikipedia, the good will outweigh the bad.

So if you get bad ratings in error, if you are actually a good person to play with then other people will even that out by giving you positive feedback. And people do, I've gave positive feedback to many players, and many have left me good feedback.

So in the end it works out, and players will definitely want to avoid players who quit early.

Jovian9
Mar 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
People quitting early is annoying. Turning on your mic and letting others know is an easy way to avoid getting bad rep. All one has to do is tell the others that he/she has to go and no one will mind. 75% of people do this on GoW, but the other 25% just quit on you, and it's especially annoying when it's the host.
Microsoft needs to figure out a system that can tell when someone quits, versus when they are dc'd/have a dirty disc/power goes out/etc. They then need to implement a 'deserter' type system like in WoW. In WoW you cannot join PvP again for 10 minutes if you quit during PvP. This way anyone who quits has to wait 10 minutes before they can get back in an Xbox Live game/match.

Dagless
Mar 25, 2007, 08:59 AM
Thank god for Half Life's system :D I'm not keen on the drop out either. That said I have a bad connection so I'm naturally against bad rep for that.

MacRumorUser
Mar 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
My Rep last time I checked was about 90% + which is v.high for xbox live. Gears of War players I know have had there reps left in tatters.

quagmire
Mar 25, 2007, 11:20 AM
People quitting early is annoying. Turning on your mic and letting others know is an easy way to avoid getting bad rep. All one has to do is tell the others that he/she has to go and no one will mind. 75% of people do this on GoW, but the other 25% just quit on you, and it's especially annoying when it's the host.
Microsoft needs to figure out a system that can tell when someone quits, versus when they are dc'd/have a dirty disc/power goes out/etc. They then need to implement a 'deserter' type system like in WoW. In WoW you cannot join PvP again for 10 minutes if you quit during PvP. This way anyone who quits has to wait 10 minutes before they can get back in an Xbox Live game/match.

I know it is annoying. But, in the games I normally play( PGR3, BS: Midway) a lot more people lag out then quit early because they are losing. When I leave I do say I'm leaving. Problem is in Midway the game separates the channels into the two different teams. So I say bye to my team and the other thinks I left early.

PS: It is double annoying when the hosts kicks you because you kick there butt.