Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cesar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Apple requested ThinkSecret to pull their rumor about the new iChat

Apple to push videoconferencing with new iChat, camera

June 4, 2003 - At the demand of Apple Computer Inc. we have removed "Apple to push videoconferencing with new iChat, camera" from Think Secret. We do so only to avoid a dispute, and such removal should not be construed as an admission. We respectfully contend that the use of any disputed material did not constitute publication of "trade secrets" and was part of Think Secret's tradition and practice of comment, criticism and news reporting of interest to our readers.

what do you think about this?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I know someone who works at apple... and he's running a beta jaguar build and ichat has video conference support... so they did pull it because its true. Its kinda funny when the make a site pull info, because it just shows that its not just a rumor...

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I sure hope it's true. And they better have added more than just that...I assume it's really been improved. I can't wait to use it. I use iChat all the time but I miss some of the features it lacks. I wonder if it will come with Panther or if they plan on releasing it sooner. I read on one rumor site that it would be out on or before the WWDC but I'm betting it will just be a new feature in Panther.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think rather than video, they need to get more protocols in there. Most of my friends are on PCs so what's the point in using iChat if you can't talk to them? And don't tell me it works with AIM, because nobody uses AIM.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by Nermal
I think rather than video, they need to get more protocols in there. Most of my friends are on PCs so what's the point in using iChat if you can't talk to them? And don't tell me it works with AIM, because nobody uses AIM.

Hmmm...well, I have 25 people in my buddy list and they all use AIM. I'm pretty sure it's the most widely used IM protocol out there. But, they can't just add other protocols without the permission of the companies that own them. So, MS and Yahoo would have to give them permission to add their protocol. However, I'm sure they will add ICQ support since it is now owned by AOL and I hear they will also be adding Jabber support in the next release...but I don't know anyone who uses that, either.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by jholzner
Hmmm...well, I have 25 people in my buddy list and they all use AIM. I'm pretty sure it's the most widely used IM protocol out there. But, they can't just add other protocols without the permission of the companies that own them. So, MS and Yahoo would have to give them permission to add their protocol. However, I'm sure they will add ICQ support since it is now owned by AOL and I hear they will also be adding Jabber support in the next release...but I don't know anyone who uses that, either.

I've only ever met one person who uses AIM. He was from the US, maybe it's common over there. He quickly changed to MSN since that's what everyone uses over here.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
all of my friends use aim exclusively.... and if they have msn as a sevice provider they still use aim as a chat client .... I'm starting to think that apple is either sending out these c&d to stop the spread of info or to create more of a buzz

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i've noticed that people from different areas are more likely to be exclusive to either AIM or MSN, depending on which, AOL or Microsoft, offered dial-up internet service first in their area. it only makes sense that people will be more inclined to use what they first had and what all of their friends used.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i've noticed that people from different areas are more likely to be exclusive to either AIM or MSN, depending on which, AOL or Microsoft, offered dial-up internet service first in their area. it only makes sense that people will be more inclined to use what they first had and what all of their friends used.

OK that's interesting because neither AOL or MSN are available over here, yet everyone uses MSN. Having said that, the country's monopolistic ISP (Xtra) got into some deal with MS, maybe that's got something to do with it. I believe there's an "Xtra Explorer" for Windows that functions like MSN Explorer. Not certain on this because I've never used Xtra (been using the net for years before Xtra even existed!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.